We shouldn't be the Hero

We shouldn't be the Hero

in Personal Story

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

This is how it was done in GW1, and it did a good job of it too.

We always THOUGHT we were the hero, but at every turn, the people we were helping were, in reality, were just manipulating us into achieving their goals.

This time (GW2) we have 1 goal, 1 mind, and everything focusing purely on that, the dragons. There are no twists and turns, its just step 1: start your journey to fight dragon, final step: end your journey to fight dragon. You knew how the story would end, before you even started it…this is a bad idea (imo)

The race specific and order specific story arcs were the best of the story, but they seem so completely disconnected from the actual “dragon story” that the entire thing just feels tacked on.

Hopefully in the future, we can start getting a REAL story involved in the game, a story where things don’t go as planned, where everything doesn’t FEEL scripted. Where the people we are helping aren’t as friendly as we thought, the places we are going aren’t what they seem, and most importantly:

The people we become are not so black and white. Where our choices actually make a difference and sometimes they are not for the better.

For anyone that doesnt know the story behind GW1 (prophecies) I can break it down a little bit, but it is always more complex than what you originally play through…and its long as hell:

1.) You start your journey fighting the evil enemies
2.) Those enemies annihilate your home and people
3.) You flee and seek refuge to the west
4.) Arrogance and ego prevent you from properly reaching your destination (from your own king)
5.) Major Character 1 dies, but you continue on and make new allies with the dwarves
6.) The Dwarves help you travel through to the west, but you must help them fight their enemies….their own race.
7.) You make it west and find the White Mantle fighting the undead, and prove your allegiance to them to gain entry to lion’s arch.
8.) You continue to aid the White Mantle in fighting the undead, as well as gathering the “chosen” who respond to a certain magic (of prophecy) and find the Scepter of Orr
9.) You find out that the White mantle are evil, and sacrificing the “Chosen” to try and prevent the prophecy, as well as seal an ancient gate, so you join a rag-tag group of resistance fighters to stop them
10.) Turns out there was a spy in the resistance and he sold you out to the Mantle.
11.) You give the Scepter of Orr to a Vizier who is supposedly a good guy…right? and he helps you escape from the Mantle
12.) You begin your new adventure towards “ascension” in order to fight the Mantle’s army
13.) After ascension, you find the Prophetic dragon, Glint, who tells more of the tale. And sends you to the Dwarven capital of Droknar’s Forge.
14.) While fighting with the dwarves you discover an ancient evil is allied with (and manipulating) the Mantle, and seek protection against their magic (infusion)
15.) You retake the dwarven lands and are able to travel to the Ring of Fire to fight the mursaat and fulfill the prophecy
16.) The Dwarves and Vizier aid you in assaulting the Mursaat strongholds to stop their….evil, and help you to reach the Door of Komalie
17.) You fight Major Character 1…in undead-ness
17.) You break the seals the Mursaat used to hold the Door of Komalie closed
18.) The Vizier then reveals he is actually the evil Undead Lich (because he died in Orr a long kitten time ago to stop the charr) and has been manipulating you in order to open the door.
19.) Opening the door releases an even greater evil from the Realm of Torment which the Vizier wants to command and destroy all of Tyria with…
20.) You defeat the Lich, using his power to re-seal the Door (i think?)

So ya….tl;dr: You did a lot of stupid stuff, and messed up alot of things, all the while THINKING you are the Hero.

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

(edited by Zietlogik.6208)

We shouldn't be the Hero

in Personal Story

Posted by: sAdam.5876

sAdam.5876

And one more thing I loved about GW1. After final boss fight all heroes, henchmen and important NPC were meeting you after final battle, discussing recent events, hinting new plotlines. Apart from what you said it would be nice to meet some fellow companions from previous story arcs after defeat of Zheitan.

We shouldn't be the Hero

in Personal Story

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

And one more thing I loved about GW1. After final boss fight all heroes, henchmen and important NPC were meeting you after final battle, discussing recent events, hinting new plotlines. Apart from what you said it would be nice to meet some fellow companions from previous story arcs

You can run into some of them in the last instance. Not all of them, since unfortunately Tybalt seems to have been a big wuss and gotten himself killed.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

We shouldn't be the Hero

in Personal Story

Posted by: ammayhem.5962

ammayhem.5962

This is how it was done in GW1, and it did a good job of it too.

We always THOUGHT we were the hero, but at every turn, the people we were helping were, in reality, were just manipulating us into achieving their goals.

This time (GW2) we have 1 goal, 1 mind, and everything focusing purely on that, the dragons. There are no twists and turns, its just step 1: start your journey to fight dragon, final step: end your journey to fight dragon. You knew how the story would end, before you even started it…this is a bad idea (imo)

The race specific and order specific story arcs were the best of the story, but they seem so completely disconnected from the actual “dragon story” that the entire thing just feels tacked on.

Hopefully in the future, we can start getting a REAL story involved in the game, a story where things don’t go as planned, where everything doesn’t FEEL scripted. Where the people we are helping aren’t as friendly as we thought, the places we are going aren’t what they seem, and most importantly:

The people we become are not so black and white. Where our choices actually make a difference and sometimes they are not for the better.

For anyone that doesnt know the story behind GW1 (prophecies) I can break it down a little bit, but it is always more complex than what you originally play through…and its long as hell:

1.) You start your journey fighting the evil enemies
2.) Those enemies annihilate your home and people
3.) You flee and seek refuge to the west
4.) Arrogance and ego prevent you from properly reaching your destination (from your own king)
5.) Major Character 1 dies, but you continue on and make new allies with the dwarves
6.) The Dwarves help you travel through to the west, but you must help them fight their enemies….their own race.
7.) You make it west and find the White Mantle fighting the undead, and prove your allegiance to them to gain entry to lion’s arch.
8.) You continue to aid the White Mantle in fighting the undead, as well as gathering the “chosen” who respond to a certain magic (of prophecy) and find the Scepter of Orr
9.) You find out that the White mantle are evil, and sacrificing the “Chosen” to try and prevent the prophecy, as well as seal an ancient gate, so you join a rag-tag group of resistance fighters to stop them
10.) Turns out there was a spy in the resistance and he sold you out to the Mantle.
11.) You give the Scepter of Orr to a Vizier who is supposedly a good guy…right? and he helps you escape from the Mantle
12.) You begin your new adventure towards “ascension” in order to fight the Mantle’s army
13.) After ascension, you find the Prophetic dragon, Glint, who tells more of the tale. And sends you to the Dwarven capital of Droknar’s Forge.
14.) While fighting with the dwarves you discover an ancient evil is allied with (and manipulating) the Mantle, and seek protection against their magic (infusion)
15.) You retake the dwarven lands and are able to travel to the Ring of Fire to fight the mursaat and fulfill the prophecy
16.) The Dwarves and Vizier aid you in assaulting the Mursaat strongholds to stop their….evil, and help you to reach the Door of Komalie
17.) You fight Major Character 1…in undead-ness
17.) You break the seals the Mursaat used to hold the Door of Komalie closed
18.) The Vizier then reveals he is actually the evil Undead Lich (because he died in Orr a long kitten time ago to stop the charr) and has been manipulating you in order to open the door.
19.) Opening the door releases an even greater evil from the Realm of Torment which the Vizier wants to command and destroy all of Tyria with…
20.) You defeat the Lich, using his power to re-seal the Door (i think?)

So ya….tl;dr: You did a lot of stupid stuff, and messed up alot of things, all the while THINKING you are the Hero.

Excellent post! I cannot emphasize this enough.

Port Sledge University [PSU]
Sorrow’s Furnace

We shouldn't be the Hero

in Personal Story

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

I do like the dialogue in the F&F Dungeon at least, as long as they go the humour route, then I am ok with cheese, but there should still be a more complex and richer story that is meant to be the MAIN story -.-

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

We shouldn't be the Hero

in Personal Story

Posted by: redslion.9675

redslion.9675

I’m ok about the fact I’m not a hero.

But I don’t want to be a boyscout. My main is a Charr Engineer. In the character creation I made him spiteful and aggressive. I am now Barbaric. And still in the personal story he is a good, respectful, nice guy who does all he is told to do. Sad.

I don’t want to be a hero. I want to be a renegade mercenary.

You will never be able to know what an engineer is going to do next…

because he doesn’t know it himself

We shouldn't be the Hero

in Personal Story

Posted by: ZoSo.4867

ZoSo.4867

I agree, I loved the racial story lines and even most of the Vigil story line (granted I would rather spend more time with Destinies Edge). When I became commander of the Pact I loathed the rest of it.

I don’t want to be the big leader that everyone knows about and now in all future story lines we are going to be that kind of person that everyone instantly recognizes.