Whispers Story - Drinking contest. Seriously?

in Personal Story

Posted by: Darth Llama.9217

Darth Llama.9217

I have really enjoyed most things in this game so far, but today I was playing my Sylvari Ranger and following the Whispers path. There is a part where you have to ‘win a drinking contest’ to rescue Demmi from some pirates.

This is, without a doubt.. the worst thing I have seen in this game. How the heck is this even done? I sat there mindlessly mashing keys for a half an hour before I just gave up. If you haven’t played this, you have an opponent, and your 1-5 bar is options that you use to drink. You mash buttons pointlessly till it says you win. I did this for the first 2, but the 3rd guy you have to beat (yes, you have to endure this idiocy 3 times) just never stops. You mash buttons forever until you get bored and quit.

I think I’m done with the personal story with this character.. seriously, who thinks this is fun? I usually try to buck the trend and be positive on the forums, but right now I’m just angry and shocked at how incredibly stupid this is. Is there a trick or cheat I can use to get past this horribly mind numbing and ridiculous excuse for a story? I seriously can’t believe how stupid this is, it’s hard to imagine that someone sat down and designed this part thinking anyone would actually find it fun.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand Binary, and those who don’t.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Drunken Mad King.8193

Drunken Mad King.8193

I am going to try to help you here although I think you went a bit over the top on the complaint.

The first issue you have is that you mashed buttons. This isn’t what you do. There is no time frame you have to beat them so simply when the game starts you should cursor over each of the buttons and read what they do.

I will tell you the key to beating this as it is very simple. Drink many times and your health gets half to over half health. At that point you can then do a belch. The belch poisons the opponent. Then quickly drink water. This heals you. The reason for belching is not just the damage it does but the poison it puts on your opponent. Poison halves the healing. When you drink water your opponent will as well. If they are poisoned they will heal half as much so in effect you will win the race that way.

This will help you and you will easily defeat the mob.

Slow down, relax, read, and think how each thing works with the next and you will solve a puzzle. That’s all this was but a simple puzzle.

I hope this helps.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Phoenix.5047

Phoenix.5047

I did this on my Asuran Engineer, and I had a blast; a good bit of comedic relief if you will.
Not only was it really creative, but very easy as well. Didn’t take more than 5 minutes to get through, and the dialogue was greatly entertaining. Don’t see why the big fuss.
Granted, I did this a month back or so, so I can’t remember exactly how to do it, but taking a minute to read the skill descriptions and taking note of the enemy’s drinking pattern should suffice to get anyone through.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Darth Llama.9217

Darth Llama.9217

I am going to try to help you here although I think you went a bit over the top on the complaint.

You’re probably right.

I find the story to be more of a chore then anything else, and I admit I just wanted to blast through it. I rarely read anything because I personally just don’t care for it and want to get it over with. Don’t get me wrong, I love the game.. play all the time and have a ton of fun. I just don’t like the personal story and I was trying to just get it over with as quickly as possible.

Just randomly mashing buttons worked fine on the first 2 guys, but by the third one I was so annoyed already that I admit I didn’t give it much effort. I’ll use your tips and get past it, once I unlock the Vendor for Whispers armor I’ll probably just stop there. I’m sure the story is great for many, it’s just not for me and that’s my thing.

I apologize if my initial post seemed over the top or more angry then it needed to be. There is enough negativity on this forum without me contributing to that. I appreciate your tips and I’ll put them to good use. Thank you very much.

Despite my lack of interest in the personal story, this game is still great.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand Binary, and those who don’t.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Drunken Mad King.8193

Drunken Mad King.8193

Darth Llama,

I understand your frustration and trust me after the first and second acts of the Personal story I am not a fan of the PS. I recommend you still doing them though as there are some decent rewards from them. You can always skip stories to move through them (it’s what I do now that I am on my 3rd and 4th character moving through them. They give some unique skins of armor and weapons as well as other rewards. It’s not the end of the world if you stop but just saying I would recommend sludging through it at least once on a char.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Vicarious.3047

Vicarious.3047

I don’t remember how I did it but it was seriously the easiest thing I had to do in the entire story line from 1-80, and I thought that’s how it was supposed to be cause then you had to fight pirates afterwards.
The dialogue and stuff was hilarious and I really enjoyed the event, guess I never expected anyone to not be able to do the mini game :/

in Personal Story

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

seriously, who thinks this is fun?

Me. I found this part of the story to be one of the most fun aspects of the game. It was innovative and entertaining. A change of pace from “go slash through this hoard of undead before the next one.” Sometimes the game throws you a curve. This is one of them.

Wish I could do it again!

in Personal Story

Posted by: Elodie.3850

Elodie.3850

seriously, who thinks this is fun?

Me. I found this part of the story to be one of the most fun aspects of the game. It was innovative and entertaining. A change of pace from “go slash through this hoard of undead before the next one.” Sometimes the game throws you a curve. This is one of them.

Wish I could do it again!

Agreed, I absolutely loooved doing this I could just not stop laughing the whole time! Best of luck to the OP getting it done, but I didn’t have too much trouble .. as it’s been stated, take note of what each ‘skill’ does and just outsmart your opponent.

in Personal Story

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

I’d love a PvP version of this in Lions Arch.

Each player lays down an equal coinage (say 5s) and competes for the cash pot. Maybe have 2-6 players

in Personal Story

Posted by: Tim.9850

Tim.9850

It’s been a long time since I did that part of the story. I had forgotten about it, but definitely remember not liking it, and also thinking it didn’t belong in the personal story. It made me angry doing it. So your not the only one. I was able to eventually finish that one.

I am also not a alcoholic drinker in real life, and really dislike drinking games within games.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Tim.9850

Tim.9850

It’s also like most of the stupid puzzles in the game, your forced to have to hunt down some website to figure it out. That is another thing I can’t Stan’s in games, is riddles/puzzles. If I wanted that I would be playing some other game. It doesn’t belong in the personal storyline.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Vicarious.3047

Vicarious.3047

I am also not a alcoholic drinker in real life, and really dislike drinking games within games.

I’m not an alcoholic either and I could really give a crap if my virtual character can apparently hold his liquor over 3-4 pirates at once lol

ITS A GAME!

in Personal Story

Posted by: Elentari.9156

Elentari.9156

I’m sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy that aspect of the story quest Personally, I liked it a lot, as it was one of the few missions that had any personality to it. I know that everyone has different tastes so I don’t expect every player to like every aspect of the story quest that I do, but please do keep in mind that if the game was designed to be as unoffensive as possible, everything would be as dull and wooden as Trahearne.