White Stag... boon?

White Stag... boon?

in Personal Story

Posted by: Jeremy Winston.2165

Jeremy Winston.2165

Q:

It doesn’t really matter in the end, I suppose, but…

One of the reasons I chose the White Stag storyline was the implied promise of a boon for saving her (or letting her go). So, I’ve done it and there doesn’t seem to be boon, blessing, or anything received. I kinda thought you’d go to the stag, click on him and receive some useful boon.. probably dealing with healing or something.

Am I missing something? Or was it just a quest-line, forgotten once completed?

First to die!

If I beat you, you might want to consider changing games.

White Stag... boon?

in Personal Story

Posted by: Ibari.1294

Ibari.1294

I don’t know if it was simply “beautiful language” so to speak, or is something they forgotten.

…still unsure about my main character.

White Stag... boon?

in Personal Story

Posted by: Jeremy Winston.2165

Jeremy Winston.2165

So.. nobody’s gotten anything aside from the satisfaction?

First to die!

If I beat you, you might want to consider changing games.

White Stag... boon?

in Personal Story

Posted by: Urthona.3198

Urthona.3198

The white stag is a common figure in legend, as was the trope of receiving a reward upon capturing it. I always assumed that line was more of an allusion to these legends than an actual boon in game. And common sense dictates that they would have made all paths more or less equal in terms of the reward.

White Stag... boon?

in Personal Story

Posted by: teh persun.6517

teh persun.6517

As some one who challenged the green knight, and doesn’t get that awesome armor to help me kill dragons, I see no problem with your lot

White Stag... boon?

in Personal Story

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

Some plot points didn’t get thought through all that well, obviously. The immortality-granting armour from the green knight storyline is a classic example.

White Stag... boon?

in Personal Story

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Nope. Just a quest-line, forgotten as quickly as Gavin. They said the stag was safe in the garden from that point on, but I’m not sure it’s even there.

White Stag... boon?

in Personal Story

Posted by: Pinder.5261

Pinder.5261

To be fair, you didn’t exactly, “catch the white stag,” which is the act declared to give you a boon. Gavin caught it. In fact, you liberated the stag. You’ve done entirely the opposite of what was required!

Perhaps you should give the stag a boon, instead.

I bet no one ever gives him presents anyway.

Edit: blackened bones, I take it back. You get a boon for the Stag’s freedom. Not for catching it. grumblegrumble

(edited by Pinder.5261)

White Stag... boon?

in Personal Story

Posted by: Jeffrey Vaughn

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

There’s no permanent boon, no. It would be somewhat annoying if there was one storyline for one race that made them clearly superior to all other choices. (For example, if it was a healing boon, wouldn’t ALL groups expect any healing-spec’d character to have that boon?)

White Stag... boon?

in Personal Story

Posted by: Pinder.5261

Pinder.5261

There’s no permanent boon, no. It would be somewhat annoying if there was one storyline for one race that made them clearly superior to all other choices. (For example, if it was a healing boon, wouldn’t ALL groups expect any healing-spec’d character to have that boon?)

Perhaps, one day down the line, one of those “purely cosmetic” rewards? Would be pretty fun to turn into a white stag now and then.

White Stag... boon?

in Personal Story

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

I don’t know about you, but I was happy just doing that story missions series. One of the best written in the game.

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

White Stag... boon?

in Personal Story

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

And common sense dictates that they would have made all paths more or less equal in terms of the reward.

Agreed, so why put in language that directly speaks of getting some ‘magical’ assistance later on?

Clearly this wasn’t going to be a permanent boon, however I definitely expected some skill, maybe with a very long cooldown.

‘Beautiful langauge’ (as another poster put it) is all well and fine, but this is a very concrete expectation the game gives when looking at this chargen choice.

White Stag... boon?

in Personal Story

Posted by: Ibari.1294

Ibari.1294

But you have to be careful with what you write, because it may lead to false expectations. Place yourself in the place of your public, and see how you would react. Perhaps not everybody see this “every path MUST be equal” so evident.

This “boon” could have perfectly been peace of mind to your character, because he/she has ridden himself/herself of a “burden”. But after freeing the White Stag I fail to see that the PC really showed any REAL concern.

There should be something else… the Stag could appear at your home, and if you talk to him, he could travel with you for a while, granting swiftness in the Grove maybe?

Not really gamebreaking (’cause you have the Nectar as well) yet it would add another layer of “awww, I remember this poor guy from that quest!” That way, the beautiful language I spoke of earlier can become something tangible for the users.

Just my two cents! I really like this game but there are some things in the Personal Story that could be tweaked, and I hope you take this as constructive criticism.

…still unsure about my main character.

(edited by Ibari.1294)

White Stag... boon?

in Personal Story

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

the Stag does appear in the home instance, but it doesn’t even get a “Greet” bubble

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22