Why do I care about Eir? (Possible Spoilers)

in Personal Story

Posted by: TheUndefined.1720

TheUndefined.1720

Hello!

Alrighty so I’m just going right to it; why does my Norn seem to care so much about Eir in my personal story?

Generally I base my Norn lore from Jora, and to say I’m disappointed with how the Norn are in GW2 would be a pretty big understatement. Whatever happened to let me earn my way instead of giving me favors?

For example: I chose Revenge, Guard the Mists, and Wolf. During Guard the Mists, (possible spoilers for Guard the Mists) Eir kept showing up during my quest. I thought that was a little odd especially since she didn't even say why she was so interested in me. So my Norn lets her tag along. Cool. No problem. As I keep going one of the Havroun's said something akin to 'Oh hey Eir now you're a teacher!' in regards to taking me under her wing. Even then I would've been ok with that, but she never agreed to taking me on as a student.

So ok that part of the story is done, and my Norn is onto greater things! What’s that? My arch-nemesis is talking smack? Well ok, let me take care of him! I show up and guess who’s there… (possibly spoilers for Vengeance Norn Story) EIR!!! What the heck! Is she just following me around now? This is starting to get creepy... So I have to enter this fighting tournament. Heck no problem! I'm the freaking slayer of Issomir, but what's that? I need Eir to vouch for me? Also my Norn is starting to speak extremely highly of Eir with dialogue such as, 'Eir you've done so much for me. I can't thank you enough.' So now my Norn has this crush on Eir, and all because she said 'Oh yeah she's a good fighter' to an open event! Ok so now I'm starting to get really irritated. I do everything by myself. No help from Eir at all. I hack and slash my way through each obstacle. On my own.

Ok so now things are starting to get irritating. Next section of my story begins… I need to go and take care of some business with the three orders. I arrive at Eir's house, and see the son of Knut asking -Eir- to go and help them. Cool. Then Eir says, hey no you should take the slayer. So... I'm the second option? What?! I'm the slayer of Issomir, protector of the Mists, single-handedly took down several tournament fighters... and I'm the -second- choice? Wow. That is lame.

After all is said, and done my character says, 'Thanks so much Eir for being such a great teacher! You've taught me well!' What the kitten?! She didn't even teach me anything! She didn't agree to even being my teacher!!!

I do not like Eir. I don’t think she’s a good tactician, she never even agrees to being a teacher, and she has done nothing important for my character thus far.

So why is my Norn crushing on Eir?

in Personal Story

Posted by: Drudenfusz.2971

Drudenfusz.2971

I had the same story arcs with my Norn, and I had no issue with Eir as my mentor… but maybe that is because I didn’t played Eye of the North in the original Guild Wars and so never met Jora.

For me Eir has a huge legend already and that she becomes a mentor to my character means that I become part of that legend and that my own legend grows because of that. So, even if all she does is just talking to my character, it is good for my legend, so I didn’t mind to thank her for that.

Gwenya Drudenfusz [Boon], Norn Mesmer on Desolation

in Personal Story

TheUndefined.1720

@Drudenfusz,

You see that’s my problem! I don’t ever remember her saying, Slayer of Issomir I will mentor you, or even, yes I’m proud to be this Slayer’s mentor! I never saw any piece of dialogue where she even agrees to being our teacher.

She just randomly shows up at places and my character is giving her tons of credit. So forget Jora for a bit, why do we care so much about Eir? XD

in Personal Story

Posted by: Lauren.3061

Lauren.3061

I play a Norn ranger as an alt, and I chose the Protect the Spirits / Revenge / Raven line instead. And in my quest lines, there is some nice dialogue with Eir about how she feels her time as a hero has passed, and my time has come, and that she believes I’m the hero she’s been waiting for (she says this to Garm as I’m approaching her home, if I remember right). I think this was in conjunction with the Protect the Spirits quests but I’m not sure.

Anyway I feel you did get a nice lead into that with that option… does seem that was lacking in yours though. =/ But I love Eir as a result, and feel sad that she feels her time is done. Some of the NPCs we encountered in our fights called her a “has-been” and an “old woman” too if I remember… made me mad! So yeah, with my choices I feel I established a nice connection with her…. I’m sorry that wasn’t there for yours though. =/

~Arabella

in Personal Story

Posted by: binidj.5734

binidj.5734

I too find being stalked by Eir creepy, of all the mentors she is by far the weakest. The others all have pretty good story reasons to be with your hero (even the walking monkey Logan) but Eir just seems to be stalking you, hanging on to your victories and taking credit for them in some way. The “test” before the end of the “Revenge” story is just insulting … I fight for my own reasons and they are none of Eir’s busines; her approval is NOT needed. From quite liking her in Edge of Destiny I now find myself disliking her almost as much as Trahearne.

Glad to be [Grey] – http://thegrey.enjin.com/home
Piken Square

in Personal Story

TheUndefined.1720

@Lauren,

I was given that dialogue as well. I apologize for not putting that in my original post, but to me it honestly seemed so minute compared to my Norn giving someone else a lot of gratitude for their victories. If I had read that dialogue with any other character (Sylvari, Human, even Charr) I would have given the statement more weight. Yet you see, this is where my Jora experience comes into play.

A few points of Jora; she lost her very ability to shapeshift into bear. This was a huge disadvantage according to all the Norn in the northern shiverpeaks, as if she had lost the very thing that made her Norn. Even with that ability lost she continues to fight alone. You find her hunting (by herself) the sole reason of her plight. Even after offering help, she refuses it, because she is Norn and Norn handle their kitten. You basically have to ignore her, and handle the problem yourself until she finally gives in. I can’t even recall if she thanks you for your help. I believe she did, but it was more on even footing. Something like she respects your prowess as a hunter. (I could be remembering this wrong, please feel free to correct me.)

Now I bring this point up, because for me personally this sets the tone for Norn. So for this race to hand over gratitude for their victories (‘Thanks Eir for everything! You’ve helped me more than I can say!‘) seems really out of character. I say to myself more often than naught, ’Why should I be thanking her?! I am Norn! I handled my business on my own!’ Not to mention she didn’t do anything other than push me off onto other people I was aiming to help anyways!

So that line really didn’t hold enough weight to justify how my Norn acted, or excuse the fact she never directly says why she’s even following me.

@binidj,

I’m really glad I’m not the only one here!

@Everyone,

Thanks for the posts!

(edited by TheUndefined.1720)