Why is the Minister of the Ossan Quarter not an Elonian?

in Personal Story

Posted by: Olithia.4635

Olithia.4635

I am just curious as to why Minister Zamon looks like an Ascalonian. Aren’t the leaders of the districts supposed to be of the race of that particular district?

in Personal Story

Olithia.4635

Is there a reason why this was done? It seems like there are no true Elonans (or Krytans or Canthans aside from Queen Jennah) in the personal story. Why is it that all of your friends are Ascalonian? I am suprised that there are no true Krytans amongst the bunch of noble friends shown in the opening of the noble personal storyline. Can anybody explain why this is?

in Personal Story

Posted by: Curuniel.4830

Curuniel.4830

What makes you think they are all Ascalonian? Zamon looks like he probably has Elonan blood in him. Sure, he doesn’t look like he grew up in Kamadan, but the wiki says that the last contact with Elona was 50 years ago (and it was one or two hundred since Cantha closed its borders, I’m not certain on the timing). Kryta is a melting pot of Ascalonian, Krytan, Canthan and Elonan peoples. Unless Elonans had been kept in a ghetto without any mixing whatsoever, I would be surprised if Zamon looked pure Elonan. I think the fact that ethnicity is far from clear at a glance is deliberate, as is the mixture of names from all the human cultures.

in Personal Story

Olithia.4635

Here is why

a. Because a point is made about the district representatives being of their respective race. It isn’t like there is a lot of Elonan looking npcs looking around. So, now we have the Elonan representative and the man looks less Elonan than Queen Jenna.

My family has been in America for centuries, sure we have mixed but most of us have not to the point of not being recognizable of our race. Fifty years is much less time for that sort of dilution, noble or not.

c. Because you get to show off the diversity of the human races that YOU (Anet) created- reread point a.

d. If this is the case why then are there no noticable Krytan (and I mean Mediterranean looking nobles) representing Rurikton? I mean everything is one big hodgepodge right now right? So why isn’t this true across the board? One would think that there would be more bronzed folk walking around because oh I don’t know, its the land of the bronze people, and the city of the bronze people, but that isn’t the case. You would have a point if this was the deal across the board, and please, point out examples if you have them. I would love to see them.

Hell I am hard pressed to find one “Krytan” in the personal story aside from Queen Jenna. The personal story opening has none at all.

Searches for a Krytan in the Krytan city

(edited by Olithia.4635)

in Personal Story

Posted by: Turial.1293

Turial.1293

Well as Curuniel mentioned the other lands were cut off about 50 years ago. Let’s just use our heads here and think, to be a minister or whatever title they have, they would need to be at least 20 or even 30 years old, tag on those 50 years later and you are looking at someone who is 70-80 holding together a district, most likely they were replaced. What about their son/daughter? Just to anticipate that question, if the former minister was 20-30 then the child will have only been born so they “might” have the skin difference of their respective human parents but their personality would be one of Kryta. Any children there before the 50 year cut off would also grow up adopting this culture and not acknowledging their own if at all.

“Some of my best friends are heterosexual”

in Personal Story

Olithia.4635

^^Oh I one hundred percent agree with this, we see this with the children of immigrants all the time but one would think that

a. With a race of people who in some cases STILL have some of its members alive because they came over fifty years ago, wouldn’t it make more sense to have one of the ones who look like those people being the minister? I mean yes its easy to hide this because there aren’t any real Elonan npcs around anyway, but to have a representative that still has strong ties to the roots, to the culture, etc because the history of the homelands could be told directly from grandma’s mouth because she was BORN there? Wouldn’t you think that this representative would probably look more like the people than anyone else besides the Krytans (who you also cannot outwardly visibly identify even though the lands and the city is theirs)

Would they adopt the Krytan culture- of course they would, the children of immigrants adopt new cultures all they time, but to be only cut off by 2 generations is simply not enough time. It doesn’t make sense how the oldest wisest Elonan is not the minister. The one who is trying to hold the people together, still keeping the culture alive and perhaps even working with the Order of Whispers to secretly run an underground railroad to get people out of Elona.

Instead of a story about Sunspears in hiding, Order of Whispers members working with the Ossan Minister keeping him updated about the goings on in Elona, we get a non Elonan looking minister with no real connection to Elona at all save for his house in the Ossan Quarter. I wonder why even the one lone black male noble npc couldn’t have been used for Zamon’s model. I wonder as our friend above says why this hodgepodge is not visibly across the board. I wonder why the once again mixed character (if this was the case) was chosen as Minister above those who are the children of those who are now in their fifties, sixties, seventies and eighties? Hell you could have a Minister who was five years old when his family fled. Imagine the story you could tell with that guy and the missions you could give!

Imagine how cool it would be to have a Minister who was around sixty seven or so who remembers what Elona was like because he came over when he was a teenager? The gameplay and story that could stem from this would be downright amazing, all because he was old enough to remember the trip. Where are these Elders? Did they drop off the face of Tyria?

One of the great things about the original GW was the feeling that the people were part of a nation and you were part of a much larger story involved in the politics of the land and its people. I hope this returns.

(edited by Olithia.4635)

in Personal Story

Posted by: Turial.1293

Turial.1293

Glint the dragon just PMed me, she said the minister dude from elona was actually an adopted krytan. (problem solved)

“Some of my best friends are heterosexual”