World moving on from Zhaitan, will the PS?

in Personal Story

Posted by: LowestTruth.2635

LowestTruth.2635

Q:

Has there been any mention of what will happen to the Personal Story post-Dragon Bash? The time disconnect between what is happening to the player and what has already happened in the world is getting wider, with no indication to a player via text, dialog, or anything else that they are “playing in the past” so to speak. Just curious, really.

Tarnished Coast

in Personal Story

Posted by: Ceallach.8740

Ceallach.8740

Do you mean for people who haven’t completed the personal story ?

I think it’s okay like it is – there aren’t many “spoilers” in the Living Story and I’m glad. My highest is only level 50, so I understand the “being in the past” feeling.

I did know from the start that the Personal Story was going to culminate in a Kill the Dragon plot and I knew that we would prevail – so I don’t feel like too much was “spoiled” – and I had a lot of fun doing Dragon Bash !

I think it’s okay to leave the Personal Story as-is. It gives new players something to work through and get to experience that “past” first-hand while they “catch up” to the current level cap. I think they’ve done a good job of keeping the Living World separate from the Personal Story as much as it makes sense to do so.

in Personal Story

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

I belive the question was more about the personal story that seemed concluded at the victory celebration in Fort Trinity. We are commanders of the victorious Pact… but what then? Are we back playing errand boy for the Lionguard as they cant solve their problems time and again? Were we not supposed to actually move against the other elder dragons?

While every character and player can and do enjoy these Living Story events, they feel completely disconnected from the actual Personal Story that ‘ends’ after killing Zhaitan. Thats not a problem, but as the OP states, the time gap between the victory over Zhaitan and the next move of the Pact and its commander (the player character) becomes bigger and bigger.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Ceallach.8740

Ceallach.8740

Ah, I see. It’s hard to say. If they’re going to not do a big “lead in” with spoilers as a Living Story event it seems like we will have to wait until an expansion – unless they do some kind of mini-release of “new zones + more Personal Story” in the meantime. It would be odd to have more Personal Story but not to raise the level cap ? I wonder what anyone else would think about that. I guess it’s not absolutely necessary and could be like how we went looking in various areas for the Dragon Bash suspects – and it wouldn’t have to be a huge production, just little “updates” that you can play through to let you know how things are going.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Sinbold.8723

Sinbold.8723

I would love to see the Personal Story continue after Zhaitan and IN the unopened zones from the GW1 Prophecies & Eye of the North map. The Crystal Desert has the end of the Dragonbrand, and is probably (still) home to Kralkatorrik (in Glint’s old hangout), and Destiny’d Edge has unfinished business there. After our PS, we’re credited with reuniting Destiny’s Edge, so it would be pretty cool to have them invite us into a personal story kind of mission/journey (i.e. more than one story step) to avenge Snaff’s death. Of course, we’d probably have to clear the way for a Krewe or three to establish some waypoints & camps so we could resupply, but we’re Pact Commanders, so that shouldn’t be too difficult. And let OUR toons get the credit, while certain other Pact leaders get to work cleansing Orr.

Dougal Keane has a reputation (from Ghosts of Ascalon) that could lead to him being chosen to help lead a team to the Fire Islands, Magumma Wastes, or the Isles of Janthir. The Far Shiverpeaks and Blood Legion Homelands could pull us there to help Eir or Rytlock, or we ask for their help for our PS in those areas. Or maybe there are Elder Dragons in some of those areas? With Mursaat minions? Good excuse to get us to Fractals for some agony resistance armor & accessories.

As part of this, it might be a good idea to bring back an idea grom GW1- unique drops from specific creatures and or/ new areas. If I wanted a Magmas Shield in GW1, I’d have to farm the Fire Islands (or Ring of Fire) because that was the only place they’d drop (aside from the Zaishen Chest). Or maybe make new skins as rewards for those portions of the new personal story. But no need to raise the level cap to do so. Millions played Prophecies in GW1 up to a max level of 20, and then took that same toon through Factions, Nightfall, and Eye of the North. The “carrot on the stick” in that instance was new skills and skins, as well as new classes. Translated to GW2, barring new classes, new skills from new weapon types might be cool, too, but that’s an idea for a different topic.

in Personal Story

Posted by: LowestTruth.2635

LowestTruth.2635

I’ll clarify in light of some of the responses.

A new player logs into the game and begins their Personal Story. As they begin to wander around the zones and do hearts between their PS segments, they interact with other players.

They will quickly find out that Zhaitan has been defeated, there has been a celebration in Lion’s Arch, etc. Lo and behold, as they progress through their PS, they find out they are moving against the dragons, joining an Order, and…. going to fight Zhaitan, who has already been defeated.

There is no acknowledgement or information given to the player that their PS takes place firmly in the past of the current world. It is now outside the canonical timeline of the narrative. Is this how it’s going to remain? Is it going to be updated?

tl;dr – new events & PS: sense, it makes none

Tarnished Coast