1000 Papercuts, or: The Little Things Matter

in Suggestions

Posted by: foofad.5162

foofad.5162

In keeping with a similar thread started several years ago for another MMO which proved to be massively successful, I wanted to start one up for Guild Wars 2 as well.

This thread is about the really small things that when taken individually aren’t really that big of a deal or much cause for annoyance, but when taken collectively contribute to your discontent with the game. These are not massive class balance issues, or hot topics like botting and Ascended gear progression and so on. These are general quality of life issues. Stuff that could be slipped into the weekly patches rather than having to wait for monthly content. Minor inconveniences.

For example:

• The light Dredge armor still doesn’t have a unique icon.
  • I don’t like not being able to see my queue position for WvW.
  • I don’t like that the TP refreshes every time I change tabs forcing me to re-search.
  • I wish that item icons had a rarity color coded border in my inventory.
  • I wish I could see how much gold a character had from the character select screen.
  • On Human females, certain long hair options clip into shields when running out of combat.
  • For most races, many leg armor variations clip through several leg armor variants, especially ones with narrower shins.

And so on! The smaller the inconvenience the better. The major goal is to gather all of these issues into one easily browsed thread instead of many threads scattered throughout the forums. This is not the place to worry about being laughed out of the room for being bothered by it. I have no doubt that some of the issues brought up will be subjectively annoying at best, but this is about you and the little things that bother you, not anyone else. You may even find that you’re not alone.

Hopefully once we’ve collected a large number of these, Anet will be able to look at it and make decisions on what improvements they think they can slip into their normal patching cycle. Or perhaps, some of the things brought up will be so minor that all Anet has to do is flip a switch in order to fix it. We can dream.

At some point I may make some attempt at curating the most commonly mentioned things into a master list.

Share away!

Eilir Eirasdottir, Guardian, Tarnished Coast
Painbow.6059: Ignore what anyone else who doesn’t agree with me has said because its wrong.

(edited by foofad.5162)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

I wish I could see what the “real” level of another player is. When you click on someone, it only shows what “effective” level they are playing at.

I wish I could preview someone else’s armor that I like so I knew what to look for.

I wish I could self-target so I could see what my status looks like to someone else.

I wish we could dye weapons, or at least parts of them

I wish we could “build” a weapon like we could in GW1…for instance, take a Super Sword of Ghost Killing and replace the hilt with an Uber hilt to turn it into an Uber Sword of Ghost killing, changing it’s base attributes such as adding power instead of healing, etc…

and Finally, I wish we could zoom in just a little farther to see our character’s face without having to back up against the scenery to make the camera get a nice close-up

Just a few annoyances from my point of view…

Level 80 Elementalist

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

- server wide chat
– LFG tool
– wardrobe or costume’s NPC
– first person view with and w/o weapons
– time played with characters in character select screen
– mini-pet slot in Hero panel
– consumables hot bar
– more darker nights / more brighter days\
– weather effects in all zones
– game world clock synchronized for all zones
– particle effects slider in options
– character basic models for PvE similar to WvW
– last visited tab saved in Hero / TP / Guild / Friend’s list windows
– guild’s in-game calendar
– profession specific armors
– repayable story missions or cutscenes only

in Suggestions

Posted by: Snow White.9680

Snow White.9680

I wish female humans had a messy bun hairstyle.

I wish the npc town clothes were in the gem store.

I wish I could dye / tint my weapons.

I wish legendaries were account bound.

I wish there were more armor skins.

I wish this game had horses.

I wish this game had raid-like content ..ANet style that dropped really exclusive nice town clothes and armor skins, maybe mini pets, and definitely hair contracts and other fun, rare items.

Server forums would be nice.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

The unique icons thing (as you mentioned for the Dredge light armor) is an ongoing work in progress. They only have a small number of icon artists, and they’re constantly at work making new icons for gear that currently uses the default icons. Every major update seems slowly add more unique icons.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aden Celeste.3650

Aden Celeste.3650

1- I want to see my guild members in the map
2- I want to have a dungeon for guilds, which escalates depending on the amount of people in it. Say… 10+ characters and up to 30.
3- Ranger Fix
4- When previewing other equips (on the mist), the clothes will have the same colors as the ones the character is currently wearing.
5- More legendaries. Specially bows.
6- A better system to target enemies. Right now I I try to target one enemy and it actually targets the one BEHIND THE DOOR, 2 BLOCKS away

in Suggestions

Posted by: HELLruler.4820

HELLruler.4820

I wish the difficulty of dungeons would change depending on each “real” level instead of just dynamic level everyone.
Dungeons would be equal to both low level and high level players

in Suggestions

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

1. More light armor leggings for females that do not include skirts
  2. More medium chests that are not long-coats
  3. Pets getting a buff to offset their inability to dodge
  4. Replace the 5 point Death Magic Reanimator trait with anything else; even nothing would be preferable
  5. A slider option to reduce or eliminate particle effects from skills; it would be nice to actually see some of the boss models instead of just seeing the amazing technicolor dreamcoat
  6. Rewards that would give an incentive to do story mode dungeons
  7. Eliminate Magic Find and buff loot table drop rates — no more drop tax
  8. Better scaling for Frozen Maw, Jungle Worm and Shadow Behemoth
  9. Fewer knocks and pulls

in Suggestions

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

It’s really poor design to give players one single tab for activate/talk/revive covering everything that you can do nearby. There should be options on screen for doing more than one thing if different activities are possible. You often don’t even get that one tab and have to move around or click around to get it. This is a core piece of the UI that is frankly just rubbish and is exactly the sort big thing that does matter.

in Suggestions

Posted by: LowestTruth.2635

LowestTruth.2635

I wish the salvage kit would automatically turn red/blue every single thing in my bag so I could see what’s salvageable and what’s not.

I wish the salvage mechanics would still compare bag-armor/weapon to worn-armor/weapon so I wouldn’t have to keep canceling out of it to check if it’s an upgrade.

I wish I would be offline at the character selection screen, or be able to hide myself.

I wish the trading post was sortable by armor type in addition to slot and rarity.

I wish there were more town clothes options.

I wish town clothes wouldn’t get replaced by armor in town even with damage.

I wish I could see character gold & bag inventory at the selection screen.

I wish the camera would zoom in more to the character.

I wish I could choose to turn off the VA and use speech bubbles for my character.

I wish I could choose to turn off titles or hide them til mouseover.

I wish I could buy a block of stuff at the TP: like ctrl-click a bunch of items that appear in search.

I wish my animated emotes targeted other people. X waves at Y. X bows to Y.

I wish I had a /rude emote.

I wish I had a pony; not to ride, just to trundle along beside me and eat vegetation.

Tarnished Coast

in Suggestions

Posted by: DietPepsi.4371

DietPepsi.4371

I wish my animated emotes targeted other people. X waves at Y. X bows to Y.

You can type “/[emote of your choice] @” (with the space) then click on a NPC or player to target the emote at them.

You stand to benefit more from making friends than making enemies.

Also I hate my user ID.

in Suggestions

DietPepsi.4371

- LFG tool

In the contacts menu you can set your status to LFG. It puts you on a list (in the contacts menu) that everyone in the map can see.

Also I hate my user ID.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

- LFG tool

In the contacts menu you can set your status to LFG. It puts you on a list (in the contacts menu) that everyone in the map can see.

Yeah, but it doesn’t tell you what they want to group for. Is it to… Get a skill point? Farm for something? Lonely and want company? Area completion? Yeah, I know you could ask. And really, how many times have you asked someone what they wanted when you saw that? I know I never do. And you have to actually see them. A Guild Wars 1 LFG, which showed up as a panel with a description of what was wanted and how many are already in the group would be more useful.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

in Suggestions

DietPepsi.4371

- LFG tool

Yeah, but it doesn’t tell you what they want to group for. Is it to… Get a skill point? Farm for something? Lonely and want company? Area completion? Yeah, I know you could ask. And really, how many times have you asked someone what they wanted when you saw that? I know I never do. And you have to actually see them. A Guild Wars 1 LFG, which showed up as a panel with a description of what was wanted and how many are already in the group would be more useful.

Oh okay, the GW1 LFG does sound more useful.

Also I hate my user ID.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

I want to be able to see my fractal level
I want a list that shows me which dungeon paths haven’t been done
I want to be able to edit the message of the day instead of starting over every time.
If I am a member of a commander’s squad I want that icon to be a different color
If I am in a squad I want to able to see squad dots on the map
I would LOVE to be able to see guild dots on the map
I want Bounty targets to show up on the side bar and disappear when they are done
I want to my portrait to show up in the party window instead of showing a silhouette

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

in Suggestions

Posted by: g e o.2589

g e o.2589

I want to make story quest disappear from my UI.
I want that all chat had bubbles not only “say” ones.
I would like to see my name and star.
I want to see guildies on map.
I want to have emote window.
Dungeon finder.
Mini slot.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aden Celeste.3650

Aden Celeste.3650

I want instances on world bosses, that way only 50 people can fight those bosses in separate instances, thus not causing so much lag and have an overall better and challenging fight.

I want the towns clothes to be available as skins for battle clothes. The whole idea of towns clothes just doesn’t work.

I want hats, many hats. And I want them to be on top of my hair. Im not sure why characters need to shave their heads in order to wear a hat.

in Suggestions

Posted by: g e o.2589

g e o.2589

I want hats, many hats. And I want them to be on top of my hair. Im not sure why characters need to shave their heads in order to wear a hat.

umm…. there are some hairstyles that need to be shaved to get the hat on.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

- Make story missions repeatable
- Allow you go to go back and try the other path unchosen (story mission again)
- Braided female human hair looks really weird when in wind/falling (it looks like it wants to blow but it sticks together and looks really bad, I’d rather it not move with the wind)
- Don’t have party chat history erase after leaving party
- Don’t have guild chat history erase after swapping characters in the same guild
- Add a sell-all function to vendors
- Filter TP options via profession/armour type
- Add in game voice chat