3 Simple Roleplaying Features GW2 Needs

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kirin.8465

Kirin.8465

Hi! Kirin here, author of Kirin’s Guide for Aspiring PVE/Support Thieves . When I’m not running fractals with my guildies or exploring the vast zones of Tyria, you can usually find me casually roleplaying in Divinity’s Reach and Lion’s Arch.

But while I have a lot of love for the gameplay of Guild Wars 2, it really comes up short on some basic roleplaying features that the games best-known for RP have (games such as Everquest 2 and City of Heroes). Thankfully, none of my suggestion below should be too difficult to add!

So please consider some of the following, ArenaNet:

A Biography field we may fill out ourselves, and other players can view by right-clicking on our character.
Whether a player just chooses to write a short paragraph describing what their character looks like, a true biography describing the character’s past, or just a like to some external webpage about their character, few things as as good for getting you in the mood to RP as reading a bit about a character when you approach them. Many MMOs have this function already(EQ2, City of Heroes, Star Trek Online, and WoW via an interface mod).

“Talking” emotes when we use the /say channel.
The best part of this is it requires very little work on your part, ArenaNet! This “talking” animation already exists for NPCs. Just make them play on a player-character when they use the /say channel, and chatting with other players instantly becomes more immersive! (Extra credit if you have a slightly different animation when our text ends with a question mark or exclamation mark, though that’s not needed.)

More Town Clothes!
Seriously. We will pay cashy-money for these, ArenaNet. They don’t need special abilities like the pirate costume either. Just give us some snazzy tunics, pretty dresses, or just workman’s clothes that have nothing more than a unique appearance. We want to pay you for these things! Take our money!

That’s all for now! Thanks for hearing me out, and thank you for such a great game!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Maligne.6182

Maligne.6182

It’d be nice to have more roleplaying/customization options, since that’s really what makes or breaks a game for me. I won’t bother getting my hopes up, though, because I’ve seen how much attention the concerns and desires of roleplayers has received from the powers that be in various other games. Who knows? Maybe ArenaNet will be different. Maybe I’ll have renewed reason to continue playing the game. I’m still not getting my hopes up, though.

Damn, I miss City of Heroes.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

Those are good requests. If I RPed anymore i would want that.

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

in Suggestions

Posted by: xCrusadentx.2784

xCrusadentx.2784

I’ll vote in favor of this. If I actually RP’d with anyone, these would be some handy features.

Royal Blood Oath:
We are sworn together by our blood…

in Suggestions

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

Though I don’t personally RP myself, I am on an unofficial RP server and the people RPing around me really helps create a more immersive atmosphere.

I agree with the points made by the OP but would also like to add to that list small but immersive features like:

• Useable chairs/benches/beds – in pubs, outdoors, etc by both the player and NPCs,
  • Toggleable visibility on gloves and footwear – Allowing a little more visual customisation without sacrificing stats and actually allowing my street urchin elementalist to actually look like one,
  • Dynamic weather – Especially in the major towns,
  • Daily schedules for NPCs (sleep, work, congregate, converse, drink etc like the Elder Scrolls games) so that 90% aren’t just standing around doing nothing though obviously that would probably take a lot of time to implement.
  • A day/night cycle that matters – different (or shadier)NPCs available at night and nocturnal mobs.

Some of these suggestions (like useable seats) would aid RPing to a degree whilst the rest would add more to the general atmosphere of the game allowing for greater immersion.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

(edited by uknortherner.2670)

in Suggestions

Posted by: MaRko.3165

MaRko.3165

I almost fell out of my chair when my toon first autoswitched to town clothes! WTH? I started wondering “when did I ever pick THAT outfit out?”, it’d be nice to be able to configure your toon’s casual attire when first starting out.

As others have mentioned, people would pay real $$ for clothing/accessories upgrades at the gem store.

“I was playing Farmville and a kitten MMO GW2 broke out of it…”
I cut my gaming teeth on Adventure&ZorkI,II,III.
i7-2600K/8G/GTX570SLI/WIN7/Stereoscopic_3D

in Suggestions

Posted by: robinsiebler.3801

robinsiebler.3801

All I do is RP. Please, support the RP community!

Brought to you by the Give the Role Players What They Want Association

in Suggestions

Posted by: Stefania Lisbeth Faerina.6350

Stefania Lisbeth Faerina.6350

Biography field: Totally. This was a nice feat in NWN (Bioware) servers with local vault. More text and lots to read is always good. Good starting point to actually shape the world and let players have sorta lasting influence (aren’t personal files discouraged in the official Wiki?)

More Town Clothes: Yes. Without the paying option.

Chairs: Yes. Still priority 1, in my opinion.

A GREAT thing would be writable paper and books in the world, BTW, and persistent storage for those, duplicating, and trade. Alternatively, clarify the rules in the Wiki, allow personal pages, signed with IC date and IC location, and seperate decently between IC lore and OOC/mechanics mumbo jumbo. A daily newspaper central organ (for each server community) that pops up would also be great (with strict factual Arenanet lore oversight). Just saying.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaimick.5109

Kaimick.5109

All I do is RP. Please, support the RP community!

Brought to you by the Give the Role Players What They Want Association

I knew you would be commenting on this thread I just knew it.

With that said I can support this

in Suggestions

Posted by: jason.9217

jason.9217

There should definitely be more emotes
the current list is rather limiting

Boardgames FTW:
HeroQuest, Talisman, Heroscape, Munchkin Quest
DungeonQuest, Dungeon Run etc…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mako.4137

Mako.4137

Totally agree with the features mentioned, would be very useful for RP indeed.

Does an ‘Available for RP’ tag exist, something to tell someone else that you can approach them and roleplay, similarly other tag options would be useful e.g. AFK.

Some more Emotes would help. Names in emotes should be shaded so that it’s easier to tell who is emoting, and when a new emote begins.

Managable chat channels so chat alliances can be made like in WoW. Chat customization.

in Suggestions

robinsiebler.3801

There is a ‘guild’ that anyone can join called Looking for Role Play. It is more of a RP wanted chat room than anything else, but if you sport that gtag, people will RP with you. I recruit for LFRP and you can message me in-game, same account name, obviously.

This message was brought to you by a Kitten with a Keyboard

in Suggestions

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

I also don’t RP, but am in favor of all the things the RP community want. I respect RPers because they immerse themselves into the world making my immersion deeper when witnessing such things.

A bio page sounds like a good one. I remember City of Heroes having one. I wrote this extensive background for each of my characters even connecting a few of them. How they came to have powers, why they came to liberty city, what ultimately they were searching for in terms of recognition or even belonging and finding themselves.

Book writing sounds great. They could even implement it with how many environmental weapons are left behind are currently.

Emotes I feel are on the way, many slash emote commands that were in GW1 and many other MMO’s simply don’t say anything currently, so I believe they are in work.

in Suggestions

Posted by: kuscheldrow.6415

kuscheldrow.6415

You forgot a fourth feature, which I miss painfully after playing Aion for 3 years:
We need Chairs and tables and stuff we could ACTUALLY SIT on!
You have to try with the sit-emote now, sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn’t.
As some NPCs sit on chairs and stuff I suspect that it MUST be possible somehow…

And even a fifth feature: Turn off automatically being kicked every 30 minutes IF one is using ANY chat channel. It’s annoying to always have to use a skill, or stand up and walk a step if you’re currently roleplaying, always having to say: ((I didn’t do this!))
What’s the big deal with this anyway? It doesn’t affect anyone but roleplayers. ^^"

Trahearne <3

in Suggestions

Posted by: Freakie Beakie.3502

Freakie Beakie.3502

a town clothes locker just like the pvp locker would be a nice thing , and im not a rper but this is something even i miss

in Suggestions

robinsiebler.3801

And even a fifth feature: Turn off automatically being kicked every 30 minutes IF one is using ANY chat channel. It’s annoying to always have to use a skill, or stand up and walk a step if you’re currently roleplaying, always having to say: ((I didn’t do this!))
What’s the big deal with this anyway? It doesn’t affect anyone but roleplayers. ^^"

I filed this bug months ago. Every once in a while, I file it again. They don’t appear to care.

Also, enough with the kitten message suppression warning. I shouldn’t get suppressed for giggling.

Brought to you by the Founder of the Don’t Kick Me While I Am Typing Association

in Suggestions

Posted by: Yamiino.1827

Yamiino.1827

Hey they did some improvement by letting us remake our toons more costumes shouldn’t be a problem. Thumbs up.