A Class of It's Own

A Class of It's Own

in Suggestions

Posted by: Animatus.6197

Animatus.6197

Let me introduce the Technomage.

For those not familiar with what a Technomage is, its the use of magic through technology, very similar to the Golemancy that Asuras use. My design for them would be similar to the Elementalist with having a swap that has to do with altering skills, utilizing a Tech-Gauntlet (similar to Zoija’s) that can be swapped between the 3 specializations, changing the equipped Utility skills[not including the elite]).

Class Weapons:

-Hammer (Like a “rocket-powered hammer” with movement and control skills)
-Staff (Places Zero Points on the ground for different effects [like the Necro staff])
-Greatsword (Laser sword that cuts through armor)
-Rifle (Lasers)
-Harpoon Gun (Water)

Utility/Trait Trees:

Zero Fields – Skills that create an orb of energy that generates negative effects when enemies approach.

Zero Columns – Skills that create a column of energy that generates positive effects for nearby allies.

Servitude – A Single “Steam Giant” Summon and skills that affect that Steam Giant’s performance.

Contruction – Summoning of Environmental Weapons and Armors that shape the battlefield.

-“Lenses” affect projectile movement however do not affect the target or reflect the projectiles.

-“Objects” are made over a 3 second cast timer, and exist until either destroyed or demolished (demolish by reactivating the skill)

Tech-Armor – Skills that enhance the users ability to absorb or redirect damage.

I would love to see something like this in game, and would even love to work with the Devs to bring such a class into existence (I have worked with designing champions on League of Legends so I know about balancing and skill creation).

My thoughts would be that this would be Medium Armor class, and would also not have a weapon swap as the Technomage would have the Gauntlet to change the various abilities they have equipped.

How I see this class being played is to fit a variety of needs but touching on very specific areas at the same time, an idea of how this would work would be in WvW to utilize the Servitude tree and skills when taking a supply camp, but lets say a large group of the opposing team swarm you, then swap you Gauntlet to possible a Zero Field set to possible split up enemies and evade combat or support those who are fighting from your team. Then if maybe a nearby tower is being attacked quickly swap your Gauntlet to possibly a Field Alteration skill set to protect the gate, and enhance ally weapon fire to push back the onslaught.

Again this is just an example of playstyle

Well if anything comes of this I would love to hear about it, so Devs if you are reading you know how to reach me (look at my account)

(edited by Animatus.6197)

A Class of It's Own

in Suggestions

Animatus.6197

Weapon Skills: 2H

Hammer:

1 – (3-hit combo) – 1st hit will damage, 2nd hit will cripple for 1 second, 3rd hit with 1 second charge will hit for more damage.
2 – Hold the Hammer like a rifle and fire a charged blast of energy at your target, if the blast hits it explodes lashing all foes around your target for damage (skill will deal damage then explode so it hits your target twice). (1200 Range) (20 Second CD)
3 – Charge a rocket on the back head of the hammer which after a 2 second charge lets loose, sending you flying forward until you connect with an enemy, thus sending him flying. (600 Range) (40 Second CD)
4 – Your hammer extends and a claw appears at the end grabbing your target and pulling him back towards you. (500 Range) (40 Second CD)
5 – Pound the hammer into the ground making 4 spider mines pop out of the ground, these mines run to the closest enemy and explode after a .5 second delay dealing AoE damage. (900 Range) (35 Second CD)

Staff:

1 – Create a laser blast from the sky on your target after a .5 second delay, dealing damage in a small area. (1200)
2 – Create a Zero Field: Energy (Deals damage) (1200 Range) (15 Second CD)
3 – Create a Zero Field: Capture (Create a “Ring of Warding” around the first enemy that enters (1200 Range) (30 Second CD)
4 – Create a Zero Field: Augment (Remove all boons) (1200 Range) (35 Second CD)
5 – Create a Zero Field: Gravity (Cripple and pull towards center for 5 seconds) (1200 Range) (45 Second CD)

Greatsword:

Rifle:

Harpoon Gun:

A Class of It's Own

in Suggestions

Animatus.6197

Healing Skills:

Utility Skills:

Zero Energy:

-Fields:
-Create Orbs of Zero Energy that activate if an enemy is within their field. These orbs can activate 3 times with a period of 2 seconds between each activation before dissipating. Fields last 15 seconds or 3 activations.

Zero Field(Impact): Create an orb that hits the ground knocking down enemies in the field with a shock-wave.

Zero Field (Sol): Create an orb which releases light, blinding enemies in the field.

Zero Field (Axis): Create an orb that absorbs heat, freezing enemies in the field.

-Columns:
-Create a Column of Zero Energy that gives enhancements to nearby allies on with each activation. Columns activate every 2 seconds, affecting all allies within the field. Columns last 15 seconds or 3 activations.

Zero Column (Plasma): Create a column of Plasma, granting 3 stacks of might and protection to allies upon activation.

Zero Column (Kelt): Create a column of Kelt, granting swiftness and removing a condition to allies upon activation.

Servitude:

Servitor: Summon a Steam Giant to fight at your side. (Will be altered by trait line choices) (90 Second CD)

Buffer: Grant your Steam Giant 10 seconds of Protection and Regeneration. (45 Second CD)

Negate: Your Steam Giant creates an anti-projectile field around it for 5 seconds. (30 Second CD)

Construction:

Time Lens: Create a lens that slows all projectiles to an unbearably low speed

Vorpal Lens: Create a lens that alters projectiles, firing them at random angles.

Iron Curtain: Construct an Iron barricade at target location blocking the path and stopping projectiles that hit it. Lasts until broken or demolished.

Pallisade: Create a Spike field that harms enemies that move in it.

Tech-Armor:

There are no active skills for Tech Armor, this is a trait tree that would have multiple instance effects at certain events and HP %’s

Elite Skills:

Singularity: Create a mass of Zero Energy around you that is so dense it cripples and pulls towards you all enemies in a zone around you, damaging every second it charges and placing a special debuff on those affected with every pulse. Once fully charged the energy amassed is repelled from you hitting all enemies in the created zone consuming and damaging them based on the stack of the debuff. If interuppted or ended early the energy is repelled but only does half-damage. (900 radius around you) (can be interrupted) (240 Second CD)

Overcharge: Your Steam Giant spins for 5 seconds dealing damage to all enemies within range and then explodes dealing damage and causing blowback to enemies close to it. (180 Second CD)

Mass Driver: Create a Mass Driver cannon at target location, this cannon will face the direction your facing and can only turn 20[sup]o[/sup] in any given direction from the original facing. This cannon has multiple skills that act like the mortar in doing different amounts of damage and causing different conditions, however affecting targets in a line rather than a targeted area. All skills have a charge timer of 1 second on them and the M.D. must change facing before the charge begins, so the shots can be dodged if paying attention to the cannons facing.
(appearance would be similar to the Giant Asura Laser Cannon in Sparkfly Fen, only smaller [around the size of normal cannons]) (1200-1900) (240 Second CD)

Xenith Column: Create a Zero Column with a larger than normal field radius that returns allies from the downed state with every activation (Activation Occurs every 5 seconds for this column). (210 Second CD)

More to come

A Class of It's Own

in Suggestions

Animatus.6197

Example Build: (Utility Skills) Servitude

Lets say you wanted to do Servitude, your 1st skill would be to pick up “Servitor,” your “summon steam giant” skill. Now your next 2 skills would most likely be a skill be “Buffer” to increase its damage resistance for a short time and “Negate” to create an anti-projectile area. “Servitor’s” Cooldown will activate once your Gauntlet is changed, also “Servitor” can only be placed on 1 Gauntlet, whereas other skills can be on different Gauntlets, so make sure not to switch Gauntlets until you are ready to no longer use the Steam Giant. Your Elite could be any number of skills, the Elite I would probably pick if you were building a Servitude Build however would be “Overcharge,” which sends your Steam Giant into a frenzy, making it invulnerable to damage while it spins and does an AoE damage before self-destructing and blowing away all nearby enemies(Note this Elite would also start the Cooldown for “Servitor” but shares its cooldown when spec’d in the trait lines (approx 90 seconds).

So to review

Healing Skill: Unkown

Skill 1: “Servitor” Summon a Steam Giant to fight at your side (will be changed by trait line choices)
Skill 2: “Buffer” Grant your Steam Giant 10 seconds of Protection and Regeneration.
Skill 3: “Negate” Your Steam Giant creates an anti-projectile field around it for 5 seconds.

Elite: “Overcharge” Your Steam Giant spins for 5 seconds dealing damage to all enemies within range and then explodes dealing damage and causing blowback to enemies close to it.

This would all be on 1 Gauntlet so, once your Steam Giant is downed and is on recharge you can swap Gauntlets to use other skills while “Servitor” recharges.

A Class of It's Own

in Suggestions

Animatus.6197

Please Rate/Comment as you see fit, but please remember this is only a suggestion (however detailed it ends up being).

A Class of It's Own

in Suggestions

Posted by: marianitten.1247

marianitten.1247

good job :-) i like it

For Those About to Zerg (We Salute You)

A Class of It's Own

in Suggestions

Animatus.6197

Added a lot more abilities and Weapon Skills, hope I can get some more comments now that there’s more to comment on.

A Class of It's Own

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jasott.7914

Jasott.7914

I would so play this class, but 1 minor suggestion, chance Golemancy to something else, golems are specifically for Asura and the other races can’t comprehend how to construct or operate them.

A Class of It's Own

in Suggestions

Animatus.6197

I would so play this class, but 1 minor suggestion, chance Golemancy to something else, golems are specifically for Asura and the other races can’t comprehend how to construct or operate them.

Someone did say something like that, possibly using the Steam Golems that appear in the Asura Story Line.

Something Like that might be possible, ill work on messing with the skills a little to change this up.

EDIT: I altered the skills to use the Steam Giants instead of the Asura Golems

A Class of It's Own

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ponyan.3471

Ponyan.3471

Seems interesting, but some skills seem to require other skills.
Example, Overcharge requires the Steam giant skill, what if they have no steam giant.
The off hand pistol would only fit with a main hand pistol.
It would really limit the use of some skills.

A Class of It's Own

in Suggestions

Posted by: The Great Wikipedia.2396

The Great Wikipedia.2396

im with you with the 3 heavy options, but technomage? id rather them just release the already considered knight class

A Class of It's Own

in Suggestions

Animatus.6197

Example, Overcharge requires the Steam giant skill, what if they have no steam giant.

The idea is to have different skills that work with each other, if you looked at the example I made, there were all skills that required a Servitor, so if you didn’t have the Servitor up or it was on CD then you would need to switch Gauntlets for a new set of utilities.

And I dont understand what you mean by off hand pistol as there isnt one, there are no off hand weapons for this class as any 1h weapons essentially become a 2h weapon with the Gauntlet

A Class of It's Own

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ponyan.3471

Ponyan.3471

The idea is to have different skills that work with each other, if you looked at the example I made, there were all skills that required a Servitor, so if you didn’t have the Servitor up or it was on CD then you would need to switch Gauntlets for a new set of utilities.

And I dont understand what you mean by off hand pistol as there isnt one, there are no off hand weapons for this class as any 1h weapons essentially become a 2h weapon with the Gauntlet

Oh, didn’t read the gauntlet part. That would be interesting indeed.

A Class of It's Own

in Suggestions

Animatus.6197

im with you with the 3 heavy options, but technomage? id rather them just release the already considered knight class

1. It’s a suggestion, doesn’t mean they will do it, doesn’t mean everyone will like, example to that is i absolutely hate the ranger class, there’s just nothing I can find that I honestly like about it, not every class is for everyone.
2. They may have a Knight class they are thinking about, but I haven’t heard or seen anything about this, so how am I to know? and also even though they are considering a Knight class doesn’t mean me suggesting a new class is invalid, its still a good possibility as I am sure they will release more than just 8-9 classes.

A Class of It's Own

in Suggestions

Posted by: Trock Bronze.9625

Trock Bronze.9625

Whatever the third heavy class will be it must stick with the rules, only casters can be magic based. Others can have magic but not to the same degree and some kind of techno mage would make more sense for the casters.

A Class of It's Own

in Suggestions

Posted by: Raedwulf.3712

Raedwulf.3712

groan It happens every time, in every game. “Ooo! Ooo! There’s a gap! There’s a great class you could fit into the gap!” Whilst I don’t particularly want to rain on your parade, Anima, did you start from the important question? “Why did Anet release with only 2 Heavies?” They probably DID have a reason, y’know…

If there’s going to be another Heavy class, another class of any description, they’ve probably already got it specced and, equally, have VERY good reasons for not releasing it yet. As for “Technomage”, I’m sorry, but the name & concept are revolting. Technology & magic are opposites in every milieu, with good reason. However well designed your class is (no I haven’t gone through your wall o’ text in detail), I’d vote “No” simply because of the name you’ve picked. What’s next? A Democratic Republican? (No, I’m not American, but you get the idea…)

Guild Leader, The White Company, Piken Square

A Class of It's Own

in Suggestions

Posted by: wwkingms.7238

wwkingms.7238

better idea….

let me introduce, the TECHNO VIKING

the TechnoViking uses no weapons, simple hand gestures and motions while doing some euro-hardstepping is enough to destroy his enemies

sq bp dl

A Class of It's Own

in Suggestions

Posted by: Weirwynn.2390

Weirwynn.2390

Agreed with Raedwulf. No offense, but it reads like every other amateur attempt at additive game design and/or fanfiction. It’s clearly intended to be more unique and special than all the “mundane” classes, etc.

I don’t want to sound too offensive or dismissive; it’s all in good fun, certainly, and practice is the only way to improve at anything—design included… but it sounds like you imagine there is a non-zero chance of this idea being adopted in any amount of detail, and that’s just not how it works.

Ideas are the most common resource in the world—and that goes triple for the games industry. Undoubtedly everyone at ArenaNet—be they artists, programmers, sound guys or legal—all have their own ideas for what the next additions to the game will be. If any of the team does see this idea and get inspired by it, it will be in a completely roundabout way. Concepts will be drawn and redrawn, passed around and combined with other ideas until the end result is a nord totem-styled caber-tosser with no resemblence to any of the initial inspirations.

Again, my intent is not to stop or dissuade you—but explain that it would be more productive to talk about ideas and style, inspirations and overarching systems than actual specific abilities.

A Class of It's Own

in Suggestions

Posted by: tzko.2370

tzko.2370

I dont think applying for a job with Arenat goes through the forum.

Here is the correct link: http://www.arena.net/jobs

Good luck!

A Class of It's Own

in Suggestions

Animatus.6197

Agreed with Raedwulf. No offense, but it reads like every other amateur attempt at additive game design and/or fanfiction. It’s clearly intended to be more unique and special than all the “mundane” classes, etc.

I don’t want to sound too offensive or dismissive; it’s all in good fun, certainly, and practice is the only way to improve at anything—design included… but it sounds like you imagine there is a non-zero chance of this idea being adopted in any amount of detail, and that’s just not how it works.

Ideas are the most common resource in the world—and that goes triple for the games industry. Undoubtedly everyone at ArenaNet—be they artists, programmers, sound guys or legal—all have their own ideas for what the next additions to the game will be. If any of the team does see this idea and get inspired by it, it will be in a completely roundabout way. Concepts will be drawn and redrawn, passed around and combined with other ideas until the end result is a nord totem-styled caber-tosser with no resemblance to any of the initial inspirations.

Again, my intent is not to stop or dissuade you—but explain that it would be more productive to talk about ideas and style, inspirations and overarching systems than actual specific abilities.

Ok gonna rebuttal this in order:
1. Whats wrong with unique (more explained later)
2. Imagination is what makes the world turn ‘round
3. Even if they all have their own ideas, it doesn’t mean they cant look to the community for suggestions and advice(that is what this forum is about right?)
4. None of the abilities are specifics, they are all simply ideas for what I would envision the class doing.

You seem to forget that forums are made for the creation of these such Ideas, they are for the building of new thoughts that when read by a developer may create a spark or a thought that may one day grow and become part of the game, that is what a forum is for. The community is a much bigger part of the game developing world in this age, people don’t make games that people don’t want. I will give an example. Riot Inc. the developers of League of Legends, use their forums as a backboard to make new and better things for their game. They actually created a Champion Concept thread just for this purpose, so the community could create not only new champions, but simply abilities and skins that the developers actually take their time to read, comment on, and even USE. That’s the point, to make something so outstanding, so in-depth, so “unique” that developers look at it and go “I gotta learn more.” That’s where game design is in this day and age, and to think otherwise is simply negligence on your part.

A Class of It's Own

in Suggestions

Animatus.6197

groan It happens every time, in every game. “Ooo! Ooo! There’s a gap! There’s a great class you could fit into the gap!” Whilst I don’t particularly want to rain on your parade, Anima, did you start from the important question? “Why did Anet release with only 2 Heavies?” They probably DID have a reason, y’know…

If there’s going to be another Heavy class, another class of any description, they’ve probably already got it specced and, equally, have VERY good reasons for not releasing it yet. As for “Technomage”, I’m sorry, but the name & concept are revolting. Technology & magic are opposites in every milieu, with good reason. However well designed your class is (no I haven’t gone through your wall o’ text in detail), I’d vote “No” simply because of the name you’ve picked. What’s next? A Democratic Republican? (No, I’m not American, but you get the idea…)

In order again:
1. It isn’t that there is a gap, I simply wanted to throw out a class Idea, so if you don’t wanna read then don’t, but I will ask you to read that long paragraph above, forums are made for this purpose, to boost ideas to the developers.
2. It isn’t set in stone, it could be another armor type, I actually would see this class as more of a Medium Armor class now that I’ve developed it more.
3. Technomage is a term, technology and magic can go together, if you haven’t I would suggest playing the Asuras, their Golemancy is in their own words in game the combination of technology and magic so your argument there is completely invalid.
4. Again if you don’t like then you don’t like, but it’s merely a suggestion, and not going into all the details makes you ignorant as you don’t fully understand how the class works.

A Class of It's Own

in Suggestions

Animatus.6197

Whatever the third heavy class will be it must stick with the rules, only casters can be magic based. Others can have magic but not to the same degree and some kind of techno mage would make more sense for the casters.

I’m actually going to fix this and make the class a medium armor wearer, however your saying the heavy armor can’t be a caster did you completely forget what the Guardians are? and what they can do?