A Suggestion for Heroes / Henchmen!

in Suggestions

Posted by: TheUndefined.1720

TheUndefined.1720

I think allowing players to choose between a hero / henchman in each of the Orders would be a great way to not only give the decision to choose an Order more weight outside of gear, but a non-intrusive way to introduce the hero / henchmen system to GW2.

Each of the orders can have a group of heroes the player can choose. All 8 professions could be presented in the Orders so players don’t have to risk losing out on an opportunity to balance their gameplay by making a bad decision between the Orders.

The heroes can all have their own storyline you must complete before opening up the opportunity to provide their services as your hero / henchman.

There would definitely need to be some balancing, and limitations on the uses of heroes as to not jeopardize the need to play with other players. Such as only 1 hero is obtainable per player, or they could be placed on a cooldown system (summon hero for 2 hours, cooldown 4 hours).

in Suggestions

Posted by: Layka.7465

Layka.7465

First sorry if my englsih is not very good. I love the heroes system of GW1 and I hope someday get it in Gw2, but I think it would give a lot of problems especially if you can use in the world map (how divides the experience? and if another players appear what happens? And many other things….)
I repeat I LOVE the heroes system of Gw1 but for example in dungeons they are many situations that requires a human execution in group, how can you do with heroes? (for example the traps of ascalon path 2)
If Anet decide to put heroes (I really hope it ) they need to change a LOT of things of the game so it’s difficult.

(edited by Layka.7465)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Late For Tea.1846

Late For Tea.1846

Please no, the game is easy enough as it is. If you get an NPC running after you doing whatever you want, you can fight mobs 2v1 in the world, making it even easier than it already is. It also lets you farm twice as fast and pretty much do anything else faster as well, causing balance issues.
On top of that, the Hero system in GW1 is what ruined it. When heroes got introduced everyone started to solo the game, instead of playing with others (UW and DoA with 7 heroes…). I don’t want to see the same happen to GW2.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Marcusdeblack.2307

Marcusdeblack.2307

Late For Tea +1

Everything you said is wise and true.

I know, some people “solo” mmos… but, that’s not a reason to implement those. Inbalance. We don’t need it. Finding a PUG is easy pancake with http://gw2lfg.com/ and if no, play with friends or find a guild. Meet people, don’t separate yourself from them by soloing everything.

in Suggestions

Layka.7465

On top of that, the Hero system in GW1 is what ruined it. When heroes got introduced everyone started to solo the game, instead of playing with others (UW and DoA with 7 heroes…). I don’t want to see the same happen to GW2.

I disagree with heroes ruined GW1. People playing with heroes because it was fun (because you could put your equipment, your weapons etc). Nobody forced you, if you want to play with people you can, if you want to play alone you can.
If GW2 puts a similar system, sure Anet will adapt to the characteristics of GW2, and remember, there are people who like to play alone and have the right to do so.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Late For Tea.1846

Late For Tea.1846

From the posts people make on this forum I can see many players like the ‘easy’ way to get what they want. Running with Heroes can be considered an ‘easy way’, as you don’t spend time looking for a party or have to deal with the incompetence of others. As people will be running with Heroes, the population of players who actual want to play with others will decrease, making it harder to find a party.
If it becomes harder to find a party, more people will be likely to give up and run with heroes, instead of spending another half an hour looking for that 5th party member. Eventually everyone will be used to running with Heroes, or expect not to be able to find a party.

I understand people prefer to solo things instead of playing with others, but in that case this game might not be for you. This is an MMO, which, in my opinion, should focus on teamplay. There are plenty of other great solo RPG games out there, you may want to try those if you like solo play.

I think Anet should focus on making it easier to get parties, instead of adding functions that would make less and less people willing to play in parties.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nashaan.3160

Nashaan.3160

Please no, the game is easy enough as it is. If you get an NPC running after you doing whatever you want, you can fight mobs 2v1 in the world, making it even easier than it already is. It also lets you farm twice as fast and pretty much do anything else faster as well, causing balance issues.

As much as I liked heroes in GW1 I kinda have to agree with this, heroes encourage players to not bother grouping. In GW1 my buddy and I used to do Fissure of Woe with the 2 of us and 3 heroes each rather than finding a group because heroes took the skills you wanted and did what you told them to.
With fewer and fewer people doing regular dungeons (or so it seems) we need more reason to group, not less.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaimick.5109

Kaimick.5109

Agree Heros were a great concept in GW1 and I loved them, but heros did make it so no one ever had to group. Other people have the right idea here no one has to use them and that i a fair argument, although what about the people that don’t care to use them and want to meet new players and people and run dungeons and events with actual people. With the implementation of Hero’s you will essentially decrease the ability for those that don’t want them to find what they are looking for in turn in the end forcing them to use them also. That isn’t exactly fair either

in Suggestions

Layka.7465

The main argument for not putting Heroes is that it lowers the chances of finding people to do dungeons. The problem is that for some reason they put this system in GW1, and the same thing is happening now, is that without heroes is equally difficult to find people. You can not force people to cooperate, if forces only get worse: they leave, and I think this is a worse solution.
If you have a Guild finding people will no be a problem, but for people who play alone (and they are so many) this system only encourages to tire and leave the game.
PD: Sorry if my English is not very good.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Acaelus Thorne.3862

Acaelus Thorne.3862

@TheUndefined don’t we have hero already in the game. I mean if you take your personal story and the main story you get to team up with NPC character which represent the system that was in GW1. I mean take caithe or Logan Thackeray, aren’t they like Koss or Melonni from GW1.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mojo.8431

Mojo.8431

my biggest issue with the personal story is that it doesn’t feel very personalized, unfortunately I don’t see them changing it very much since players will be at different steps in their story or even finished their entire story

(edited by Mojo.8431)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaimick.5109

Kaimick.5109

The main argument for not putting Heroes is that it lowers the chances of finding people to do dungeons. The problem is that for some reason they put this system in GW1, and the same thing is happening now, is that without heroes is equally difficult to find people. You can not force people to cooperate, if forces only get worse: they leave, and I think this is a worse solution.
If you have a Guild finding people will no be a problem, but for people who play alone (and they are so many) this system only encourages to tire and leave the game.
PD: Sorry if my English is not very good.

This is not true for the people that don’t want to apply themselves to getting a guild to run there is always www.GW2lfg.com every time I have used this site with in 10 minutes I am running a dungeon. It is easy and simplistic to use, they can easily just use the system that is in place now and have no difficulties in finding a group, DE or fractal. If they still don’t want to use that system, then why should anyone cuddle to them? They don’t want to use tools that make things easier just so they can have heros again? That is not a reason to implement hero’s that is just being lazy.

in Suggestions

Posted by: acedragonz.9387

acedragonz.9387

I’d have a suggestion for that. Create missions like the daily pre-searing quests in GW1. There you can bring some henchmen to help you out. Every order has a different mission or so & different Henchmen. It would definitely make the orders more interesting. The same thing with the home instances. Put on a daily mission. For example you enter you home instance as you Sylvari & Carys need your help clearing an area from undead. So like the story mode quests you team up with Carys & other NPCs from your instance as your henchmen & they help you out. That would make both the home instance & the orders more fun to play.

I agree on not letting people do dungeons & open world events with henchmen though. Give me your ideas & suggestion for the top part though I would like to know what you think about it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Evogelion.3879

Evogelion.3879

More reasons to group, less hired npc help

in Suggestions

Layka.7465

This is not true for the people that don’t want to apply themselves to getting a guild to run there is always www.GW2lfg.com every time I have used this site with in 10 minutes I am running a dungeon. It is easy and simplistic to use, they can easily just use the system that is in place now and have no difficulties in finding a group, DE or fractal. If they still don’t want to use that system, then why should anyone cuddle to them? They don’t want to use tools that make things easier just so they can have heros again? That is not a reason to implement hero’s that is just being lazy.

No, no. For the people who play alone and he likes to play alone this system force to find a grup that they only brings this: 1) Go to the waypoint near the dungeon, 2) /map “LFG …. path ….” 3) Do the dungeon rush mode ( of course skip videos and don’t stop to see anything), 4) Finish dungeon /group “Thanks bye”. This is the reality.
Who have people to enjoy a good group ok, but for who likes to play in their own put a system like in Gw1. It’s not lazy, it’s to everybody can enjoy the game like he want.
Pd: Again sorry if my English is not very good.

(edited by Layka.7465)

in Suggestions

Posted by: JDL.2785

JDL.2785

We should have Heroes, and for me it’s just a matter of time. Not just for dungeons but also for group events. If people aren’t doing Meta events like The Great Temple of Balthazar or any of the other Gods in Orr, then how am I supposed to get my armor? I could shout out in Lions Arch or in Orr for a few hours, just to find out that nobody can be bothered to come. Heroes should be introduced for Group Events, that you simply can’t do on your own, (If your the Average player) and dungeons because it’s always hard to find a group unless you join a guild. Also the problem with www.gw2lfg.com is that everybody on there just wants to do a speed run, and I would rather do it on my own with heroes than go in with annoying PUGS who just want to race through the dungeon and blame you for when they die, cursing and swearing the whole time.
Not only this but it is also very fun to gear up your heroes and create their builds. This puts another aspect into the game, rather than just gear yourself up you now have a team to gear up and create builds with them for combos which could end up being powerful builds, rather than just 5 people in a party, all doing separate things. This worked fantastic with Gw1 because you were always changing them and creating new builds until you had one where you and your heroes would defeat hard opponents using skills that work well together.

(edited by JDL.2785)

in Suggestions

Posted by: shawn.6793

shawn.6793

all I got to say is no no no! hearing this idea actually made me cringe, this isn’t guildwars 1, get over it. quickest way to make an mmo lonely lol

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

please, for the love of all that is GW2, no…..

Level 80 Elementalist

in Suggestions

Posted by: Turkashi.4502

Turkashi.4502

plz no! imo GW1 died when heroes were available: no one goes as a team. The not so good player were kicked and replaced by henchman etc…

gw2 is already quit easy:
- in yellow rare you can survive in high lvl evironement
- there are people who is willing to rez you
- if you struggle with survival, you can stay in low level evironement to get better gear (or dungeons)

I don’t realy see the need of henchies or heroes. It was fun in GW1, but not necessary in GW2

in Suggestions

Posted by: ExTribble.7108

ExTribble.7108

Ehh… No.

Pretty much all areas are a breeze to fight through if you know what you’re doing. The fact that most people don’t even know how to play to their profession’s strengths at level 80 is rather unsettling already. If they rely on a hero/hench to get through the hard battles, imagine how much worse this will be…

That said, the summon idea is not too bad. Maybe an unlockable elite that works like the other summoning skills (Thieve’s guild, Glyph of Elementals, etc.) might be the best way to approach it. If the hero is considerably strong maybe follow the duration/recharge of GoE or up the recharge a bit. New skills are something I wouldn’t be opposed to, but your current 2hr usage, 4hr cooldown is rather OP. You can use the hero in that case to easily clear large zones with minimal effort. That’s a no-go for me.

“Any lump can hack bad guys to death, but it takes skill
and style to turn them into craters and dust.” -Tonn
Number-crunching for ecto salvages – periodically updated