A suggestion for a new mode of PvP

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kadin.2356

Kadin.2356

Note I wrote this long post and then realized that I front-loaded it with a lot of justification that most people really won’t be interested in reading. So I’m just going to lay out the bare bones of my idea at the top and then go more in-depth below that if you are still interested at all in reading further.

What I’d like to see introduced at some point in the distant future is a map that all 3 worlds can access (PvE Characters!) that has PvE content but is also instanced. This map would be small group combat based with PvE elements thrown in to keep things interesting.

What I’m thinking about is a rather large map, probably around the size of eternal battlegrounds, with a lot of z-axis (vertical) content as well. I was thinking something along the lines of a ruined city with multiple levels, catwalks etc…, with crypts of some kind below as well. Structurally very similar to the area directly in front of Blue keep in Eternal Battlegrounds, staggered with some larger open areas on each of the 3 levels.

Each of the worlds would have multiple static waypoints (at least 3 each) dispersed throughout the map. PvP would obviously be enabled and upon death (state after downed) players would immediately be forcibly respawned at the nearest friendly waypoint. Combat in this map would have no bearing on the WvW standing as it’s a completely alternative PvP mode.

There would be PvE elements dispersed throughout the map as well. Think along the lines of camps in WvW but perhaps with an NPC wave component as well as the static starting NPC’s so that you have to not only clear the mobs but also hold the point for X number of waves. NPC levels should be slightly higher than that of normal world equivalent say 83ish? with a very slightly elevated loot table to reward players for the increased risk of PvP.

Limit the population cap for each faction to 15 before starting a new instance of the map so that the maximum number of players is 45.

Ok, onto why I think it would be best to organize it as I laid out above.

-First, the map size has to be rather large so that encounters between the factions are not a given. I like having PvE spiced with PvP and the surprise element of coming over a hill and realizing another group is coming up the other side. That “ surprise” element requires the space to make it not be such an inevitability. Obviously groups will seek each other out but that “hunt” will also be part of the fun.

-Second having multiple levels with breaks in between leads to a lot of surprise moments as well. Not only do you have to keep your head on a swivel while clearing the PvE camps you also have to be looking up / down as well. Just adds to the unpredictability of the situation.

-Having multiple waypoints for each faction allows people to strategically jump around to different areas of the map if a particular part of it is being heavily camped. Basically a built in anti-zerg mechanism. The same goes with the downed->death->forced respawn system. This would make hit and runs on larger groups of players a viable tactic through attrition.

-Having PvE elements gives people a reason to be there in the first place. I like the idea of smaller PvE event pockets all over the map. It could either be world control based (think WvW camps) or timer respawn based (aka world PvE events). I think a mix of the two would be best but either would work imho. If it is control based then there should not be any “ownership” markers on the map as that would make it too obvious where players were at any given moment. Again the “hunting” element would be ruined.

-The population limit is a no brainer, if you are going for small group combat then having more than 15 from any realm would just turn into a zerg fest. I am well aware that there would be problems with higher population servers always having an instance or two alone to themselves but I would point out that since the WvW rankings will keep the servers as closely matched as possible this hopefully will not be as big a problem as it looks on paper. Also while people will be drawn in by the higher level PvE content the “fun” will lie in the PvP encounters along the way. While the larger servers may be able to farm a bit more comfortably I think that advantage pales in comparison to always having the “fun” instances available for use.

Well that’s enough for now I’m sure I could add a whole ton more to this but I’m sure the basic idea is conveyed well enough. Let me know if you’d think this would be fun!

(edited by Kadin.2356)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kadin.2356

Kadin.2356

Post held for future additions.