Adapt PvP "Game Browser" for Groups/Dungeons

in Suggestions

Posted by: Paine.2513

Paine.2513

It’s very simple. This game needs a better way to join groups for dungeons compared to spending countless hours spamming in Lions Arch.

There is already a PvP Browser NPC located in Heart of the Mists that lets players open up a “Game Browser” which allows players to find a suitable PvP instance to join. This browser lets players see which map the instance is for and how many players are currently in the instance with the option to join a specific one or click “play now” to join any instance that’s not full.

Arenanet, could you please create an NPC in Lion’s Arch to do the same thing but for groups and dungeons, so that when someone tries to join a listed group it sends a join request to the selected group?

Only a few simple things would need to be added to the browser:

• A “Create New” button to allow a player’s group added to the list for a selected dungeon.
  • A “Cancel/Remove” button for cases where the wrong instance is accidentally selected or a group decides to disband.
  • To have the listings automatically disappear when a group becomes full, empty or when everyone in the group leaves Lions Arch.
  • Error checking to make sure the players who want to join are eligible.
  • Column filter changed to list instance names and saves setting for future searches.
  • The “Play Now” button changed to randomly join any group that’s listed and the player is eligible for.

This game was designed with the intention of breaking the trinity, so a system like this should work if it is intended for any combination of classes to able to complete instances.

Cry Of Paine – Crystal Desert – 80 Mesmer

(edited by Paine.2513)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Martin The Brave.8731

Martin The Brave.8731

Any post suggesting a more viable way to get into groups for dungeons gets a +1. I also like your solution to the problem.

in Suggestions

Posted by: awe extender.1908

awe extender.1908

+1

in Suggestions

Paine.2513

Any post suggesting a more viable way to get into groups for dungeons gets a +1. I also like your solution to the problem.

Thx. I’m really surprised that they haven’t added something like this yet, especially since there’s already a system in place to join PvP instances, it would only be logical to do the same for dungeon instances.

in Suggestions

Posted by: leoswat.6592

leoswat.6592

+1 . I like the idea.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sungak Alkandenes.1369

Sungak Alkandenes.1369

Another +1 here, with one change.

Why have a new NPC in LA? If there is already an NPC in front of every entrance (not seen all of them though) then use them instead. You’d save a column in the browser.

“The Meta Game does not stop at the game. Ever.” — Me
I like to view MMOs through the lazy eye of a Systems Admin, and the critical eye of a
Project Manager. You’ve been warned. ;-)

in Suggestions

Paine.2513

Yea, I was thinking that too. Maybe those NPC’s could tap into the same system, but having one in LA would allow for groups to form on overflow instead of each individual server, making it faster to form groups.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sungak Alkandenes.1369

Sungak Alkandenes.1369

Well, I’m mostly tired of being dumped into LA’s overflow every time I’m there now. :-) Easy fix to that of course is to just replace the original overflow popup with a mid-screen text (like the XP/shutdown/etc messages).

Its definitely an interesting problem.

Would this go any smoother by just bypassing NPCs completely? I’m thinking a new menu screen like the one that you see for WvW and s/tPvP Status. Ideally it should go with a separate chat (another personal irritant, and not just with LA).

“The Meta Game does not stop at the game. Ever.” — Me
I like to view MMOs through the lazy eye of a Systems Admin, and the critical eye of a
Project Manager. You’ve been warned. ;-)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gummy.4278

Gummy.4278

Its my understanding they are working on a new LFG tool of some kind, but no information about how it will work or what not so I wanna see what they come up with.

But if they did do something like the OP wants, please take it outta LA…I do not want to see the load screen double because now it is searching for a overflow it can send me to.
I would prefer a remote area that is its own instance that all servers can get into or at least you can see that persons LFG no matter what server they are playing on, so you can form groups with anyone who wants to play the dungeon, that is ready to go play, Now.
Spamming should go away but we should be able to talk to each other when forming a group even if you are looking at a bulletin board setup screen with the info about what you want to do.

I really don’t want them to add more and more stuff to LA just to make it convenient, all the while slowing anyone trying to get to LA down and also adding to the chat in LA about forming groups…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hazmat.1089

Hazmat.1089

I like these ideas and I’d like to see it also include group events. There are Temple events in Cursed Shores that require larger groups of people to gain control. Try finding a Temple of Lyssa group…

Assuming that group events will continue to happen in future releases this would be handy to have.

in Suggestions

Paine.2513

But if they did do something like the OP wants, please take it outta LA…I do not want to see the load screen double because now it is searching for a overflow it can send me to.

I really don’t want them to add more and more stuff to LA just to make it convenient, all the while slowing anyone trying to get to LA down and also adding to the chat in LA about forming groups…

I think the amount of time you’d save getting into a group would make up for a load screen, guess it depends on your computer. Also it should cut down the lfg spam if people are talking within groups, or at least chat would be more productive. Until they come out with another expansion LA is going to be the main social hub of the game. I doubt they’d add a new area just to lfg in.

I guess another option would be having an extra menu screen to join instances, like joining WvW areas, that you can access from anywhere. A solution like this would be more limiting to make groups tho, unless they make it cross-server somehow.

(edited by Paine.2513)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hals Warrior.9863

Hals Warrior.9863

Awesome idea!! I hope ANet see this one

“It’s easy when you know how.”

in Suggestions

Paine.2513

Awesome idea!! I hope ANet see this one

Me too, I tried to put this in simple terms compared to the sPvP system that’s already in game, it shouldn’t be difficult to port it over to work for dungeons.

(edited by Paine.2513)