Adding a /Roll Command

Adding a /Roll Command

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vexander.9850

Vexander.9850

So, just going to toss this out there. In many of the MMORPGs I’ve played, there has typically been a /roll or /random command where players could type in a number and get a randomly generated number between 1 and the number entered, usually with a default of 100 if the command alone was rolled.

I’d love to see this added to GW2. For those who like to RP, a system for rolls that can be viewed by others makes it possible to run D&D like events. I know it won’t really have other functions outside of RP, but you never know what players will come up with.

Adding a /Roll Command

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kysin.6349

Kysin.6349

Guild Wars1 had this, and it eventually became a problem with people running “lotteries” and scamming became an issue very fast. Not sure what their stance would be on it, but i’m guessing they are worried about that happening again.

Co-leader of Knights of Eminence[Sir] – PvX
Reap The Weak[Reap] – WvW 5-man havok
-Blackgate

Adding a /Roll Command

in Suggestions

Vexander.9850

Lotteries and scamming? Not sure I follow. How did they manage that, exactly?

Adding a /Roll Command

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kysin.6349

Kysin.6349

They actually ran a gambling game based on the /roll command. If I remember correctly you paid and picked a number, if your number was rolled you won most/all of the pot money (or split with others from the same winning number). Someone else can correct me if wrong, it was like 5 years ago.

Co-leader of Knights of Eminence[Sir] – PvX
Reap The Weak[Reap] – WvW 5-man havok
-Blackgate

Adding a /Roll Command

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

This deserves no attention from the Anet team and is a silly idea at best. Hundreds of bugs exist in this game and many of them have been around since launch. Well, nvm, I can see how this would alieviate many of those problems and add a grand new dynamic that i’ve heard much of the community clamoring for…so i retract my former statement that this is completely stupid as it might even bring back many of the thousands of players that have abandoned the game due to all the unrefined game mechanics that still persist to this day. +1

Adding a /Roll Command

in Suggestions

Vexander.9850

They actually ran a gambling game based on the /roll command. If I remember correctly you paid and picked a number, if your number was rolled you won most/all of the pot money (or split with others from the same winning number). Someone else can correct me if wrong, it was like 5 years ago.

That’s a shame but… its really not Anet’s responsibility if players decided to engage in something like that. I mean, its not as though people can fix the outcomes to scam folks. Just seems a shame that something simple which could function in a number of ways would be denied because individuals from another game used it for gambling.

My main thoughts are how nicely it functions as a RP tool, because despite a great setting and rich lore, the game of Guild Wars 2 is a very desolate place in terms of supporting RP.

Beyond that, I think it could even function pretty well as a way to solve disputes for folks. Arguing over what dungeon to do? Do a /roll, see who gets the higher score. Not sure what map you want to visit to complete next? Do a /roll.

This deserves no attention from the Anet team and is a silly idea at best. Hundreds of bugs exist in this game and many of them have been around since launch. Well, nvm, I can see how this would alieviate many of those problems and add a grand new dynamic that i’ve heard much of the community clamoring for…so i retract my former statement that this is completely stupid as it might even bring back many of the thousands of players that have abandoned the game due to all the unrefined game mechanics that still persist to this day. +1

Not sure if serious… Will take it at face value though =)

Thanks for the support and I doubt it’d be anything that’d require hours of work really. I’m not a coder, so I can’t say, but it seems overall pretty easy. There’s no need to make it into an emote where characters kneel down and roll dice or something. Just a simple function that shows a randomized number in your chat and the chats of those in your party.

Adding a /Roll Command

in Suggestions

Posted by: Yoroiookami.3485

Yoroiookami.3485

This argument makes no sense. I believe this place was made for players who have suggestions. ANY suggestions. I realize there are things to fix/to add before some ‘silly stuff’, but why being so rude? It’s a nice idea that would give players some more fun. I honestly would really enjoy more emoticons and silly stuff like houses, marriages, playing with your pets and many other ‘mini-games’. Why? Well because mmos aren’t just “kill this and get exp” kind of thing for me. I like to enjoy my game doing all sorts of pointless things. Heck, some people hate jumping puzzles, and they do seem like a rather silly idea in an mmo. I love those.
I think more emoticons in general would be a great idea, regardless if anet has better things to do.
Cheers.

Adding a /Roll Command

in Suggestions

Posted by: Flameseeker.1563

Flameseeker.1563

Besides the issues with scamming there was problems with pvp matches.

In gw1 hero battles /roll was used to determine the winner, when removed it became RR (red resign) which ultimately led to the removal of the arena.

My guess is that they don’t want to repeat the mistake.