Air wars on WvW

Air wars on WvW

in Suggestions

Posted by: JubeiTM.5763

JubeiTM.5763

Hello friends, I was daydreaming today and I’d like to share.

I just saw a gameplay of footage of Guns of Icarus thinking how awesome Air Ships battles would be in WvW. Here is how it works:

• A battleship is equipped with 6 cannons (3 on each side) and 4 arrow carts (also 2 o each side).
  • Each server has access to a maximum of three battleships simultaneously.
  • A blueprint costs a lot (maybe 20-30 gold). Takes time to build but it’s faster if constructed near supply depot.
  • A maximum of 15 players on board. People can board if the ship is landed and there is enough space.
  • The player who deployed the blueprint will be the pilot
  • Other players can man the cannons or repair damaged parts of the ship (given they have enough supplies).
  • The ship can land anywhere and players can jump off from safe distance. This way they can land directly beyond enemy walls.
  • When two ships fight in close combat the players who don’t man cannons, can also use their skills to kill each other.
  • If the ship is destroyed, the players will fall. If there is a safe distance to the ground and the players have enough health, they survive.

Environment improvements

The Floating island is a great observation point and has a magical source of supplies (spawns 10 supplies every 30 minutes). It also serves as a point control, so owning will create the challenge.

I think there will be new strategies in Air to ground and ground to air fights meaning a lot of diversity and epincness.

I dream enough, back to work
Thank you!

Air wars on WvW

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sedoks.3576

Sedoks.3576

Sounds epic. I just don’t agree with:

• If the ship is destroyed, the players will fall. If there is a safe distance to the ground and the players have enough health, they survive.

I say the ship make big BOOOM and all players on it die!!

Air wars on WvW

in Suggestions

Posted by: Teraphas.6210

Teraphas.6210

I had suggested something like this long ago. Difference being mine took place on its ownmap .

When you entered the map you are in a small airstrip at your servers starting point. This is on a cliff looking out on open air. Similar to the wintersday snowball fight you would see several aircraft that you can take as a weapon. These craft would serve as a sort of class type for the battle. Using the aquatic combat system would work as a base.

The area would have a few minor ground outposts sitting on mesa or floating islands. Taking these would be like supply camps worth of points. They would serve to allow you to swap craft without returning to the start. Upgrading would allow way points maybe even stronger crafts or at least unique to that island.

The true objective would be large derigables (zeppelins) that would serve as mobile keeps. They would be constantly moving forward but if a player is at the helm they could change its heading leading to large ship fights. Turning the ship would be like turning a treb, slow. When not piloted the ship would make adjustments to eventually return to its defualt path.
To board players would simply fly over the ship and weapon swap. You would then fall to the ship. Judge poorly and you fall. The ships would have various weapons mounted and upgrading (cost gold and time only) would add more and eventually a flight deck allowing players on board to grab personal craft without returning to the start or an out post.
Various parts could be damagedon the ship. Attack the engines internally or externally and cripple its speed. The more damage done the slower it gets. Weapon posts would be destructable as would doors leading to internal compartments. This would force players to not only defend the bridge to retain control but also the engine room to avoid becoming dead in the water.

I would forsee 6 to 9 ships like the ones currently in game with 3 much larger leviathan class ships. These would serve for extensive shipboard fights while being supported from the air.

I also think it would be interesting to see a server seeking to protect its upgaded ship try to disengage anenemy ship by fleeing. The fleeing ship could send is fighters to counter any pursuers or send them to assault the persuing ships engines to slow it so they could get away

I would like to see supply not used on this map, mostly to keep siege aboard ship rare. And also keep repairs and upgrades mostly timed. There could be a source or two of supply on the map. But those should be what the fighting is for, the supply to speed upgrades and repairs. Not so much and so common you need it for everything. I think this would be a good pacing change seeing as is a very different type of map.

Optional could be a control point or just having air superiority (majority of the ships) that would grant a boon in the rest of wvw or perhaps just bwck in pve as a global

You can’t spell Slaughter without Laughter

Air wars on WvW

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lukhas.1962

Lukhas.1962

I like this idea. What I would add is a special system so you can not jump from the ship to any fortification and conquer it with minimal effort.
The idea is good but it has to be well designed.