Anyone else want a dervish..

in Suggestions

Posted by: sonicwylde.2906

sonicwylde.2906

to be added to GW2? It was one of my favourite professions in GW. It would be nice to swing a scythe around again

in Suggestions

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

yes

/fifteen characters

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

Nope. I’d much rather have my ritualist back. I was always terrible with my dervish.

But, I wouldn’t begrudge anyone getting their favorite class back. Sadly, mine was the monk.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

If they do bring back the Dervish, you know people are going to complain in the forum about the armor. All long skirts.

in Suggestions

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

I never did enjoy the dervish. Paragon and Rit were the only expansion classes that I had any fun with. I had one of everything, but the sin and dervish were simply mules after they hit 20.

Honestly, my playtime was probably fairly evenly split between monk, ele, rit, ranger, necro and paragon. Since they’re all represented here (monk+paragon=guardian) I have no real desire to see them try to shoehorn dervish into the current game.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Caesius.9763

Caesius.9763

They don’t have to bring back Dervish necessarily but having access to a whole new weapon skill set called ‘scythe’ would rock. Have it usable by 2 or 3 existing professions like warrior, guardian and necromancer and voila! No need to explain away why godless folks would get access to god powered dervish abilities.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Voltar.8574

Voltar.8574

One direction (for balance sake of not adding another profession) would be adding scythe and/or a traitline of “flash boons”, auras etc. to an existing classes. This would be a way to add new build opportunities to existing classes and also incorporate some of the feeling of the dual-class system from GW that some people miss.

(edited by Voltar.8574)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

One direction (for balance sake of not adding another profession) would be adding scythe and/or a traitline of “flash boons”, auras etc. to an existing classes. This would be a way to add new build opportunities to existing classes and also incorporate some of the feeling of the dual-class system from GW that some people miss.

Hmmm. Maybe they could add the Ritualist spirit summoning to necromancers.

Sounds like a good idea for a thread. ^^

in Suggestions

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

i think the guardian is very similar to a dervish+paragon more than a monk+paragon, instead of enchantment he has always boon on and well the 3 virtues works like enchantment, they only need a scythe and some shape shifting

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

the only melee class i would play

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

keep this unfitting crap out of GW2 please. period

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

in Suggestions

Posted by: lukejoe.1592

lukejoe.1592

Didn’t play GW1, but can’t say that I wold want to see a class added that seems to be so closely tied to one weapon in a game about weapon swapping. And I don’t think scythes would make for a good weapons anyway. They have already play visual homage to the dervish scythe in the necro’s staff animations. I think it’s a sign that Anet has moved on and the Dervish needs to get over it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Carlos.4371

Carlos.4371

I’m sure that in wide future, when Elona expansion comes out, that the Dervish will be a new playable class. The Dervish was by far my favourite melee class as well and I really would like to see him again
To all of those who prefer the Ritualist over the Dervish, the Ritualist will sure come with Cantha expansion.

The Dervish is the kind of class which would fit perfectly into GW2 when Elona comes out, because the Dervish is apart from being a strong AoE melee fighter also a magic touched class. So he could make use of Staff, Scepter, Focus as well (even in GW1 you could play him as heal with those weapons). It just fits perfectly. Of course he would be made more offensive to not get a 2nd Guardian.

Also like all of his skills in Earth prayers, Wind prayers and Mysticism could be adapted very good into GW2, and don’t forget the new possibilties here. Flash-echantments could be F1 to F4 skills, by activating them you release their activation effect and you can take them off anytime to activate the second effect, as it was in GW1. The different Vows could be utility skills with their respective trait lines, and why not give the dervish his avatar-transformation skills back as Elite skills. In a Priory quest at Lion’s Arch you could transform into an Avatar of Balthazar as well (to all of those saying, that it wouldn’t fit because the gods left Tyria). There are just so many things which can be done with the Dervish.

in Suggestions

Posted by: negerleif.2106

negerleif.2106

If they do bring back the Dervish, you know people are going to complain in the forum about the armor. All long skirts.

yeah sadly

its wierld that people complain about that when they most of the time make female characters…. hm

in Suggestions

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I’m sure that in wide future, when Elona expansion comes out, that the Dervish will be a new playable class. The Dervish was by far my favourite melee class as well and I really would like to see him again

Dream further…
the Dervish will never come and should never come, regardless of the game having ever any Expansions or not.
The classes aspects can’t be put into the game, it has been already shread into pieces and those pieces have already been implemented in the current classes in certain different ways how they fitted to GW2.

The avatar aspect has become the racial abilities of the humans. Period !!
The scythe aspect has been revamped into the necromancer animation of the staff and as a staff reskin. Period !!
There are no echantments, this includes also flash enchantments. Period !!

Its god kitten nothing left there is about this stupid braindead wannabe god wannabe bad kitten crap class, that could be used to make a new class around it, that would fit to the gamne design of GW2.

Anet has removed every class that has any kind of relationship to gods and religions and thats good so, because only this way can be classes neutral to all playable races.

The Boon Remove and gain something-mechanic has been recycled as much as possible into the Guardians Virtue-System. Period.

The Weapon Effect of the Scythe hitting multiple targets has been moved to Swords, Greatswords, Hammers, so this is also nothing special anymore, that gives a reason bring that dumb Dervish back.

Get it finally out of your heads. GW2#s class system have been inproved and old game mechanics have been mostly all merged together with other classes, what lets there no room for the dervish, because everything about what the Devish was, either fits not to the concept of multiple playable races, or has been already integrated into the other classes!!

So if anet would try to brign in the Dervish for GW2, they would have to totally resigne the whole class from a scratch and the end result would surely

1) absolutely not be anything at all that plays and feels similar to the original of GW2, what would automatically lead to 2

2) it would just only kitten off all diehard Derv Fanboys/girls totally to the point, that they just will ragequit the game for sure, because s simple Derv of GW1 for GW2 is in NO WAY in.

People should finally learn to forget about the Derv, the paragon, the Monk and mostly also the Ritualist.
GW2 has no space for them and most to all (to some exceptions) of their mechanics have been already absorbed into the current classes.

ANet would be well advised just to ignore this permanent QQ about those old classes and just make their thing they think is best for the game.
As I have stated personally in my opinion its well advised in overall for the game and its individuality to throw this old junk over board and concentrate in the class system onto 2 points.

1. Introduce a Sub Class System with that all current classes can be slowly improved and branched up into specializations for a better character progression with that Anet can easily implement step by step more new utility skills, more new usable weapons, more new traits ect as they intend to do so in the near future.
So I think that my suggestion about this has a good chance to come someday …

2. If any new completely new seperate “Basic Class” has to be introduced, then concentrate the game on something, that is really new to the game, unique and adds to the game new missing features, as like for example weapon types.

So the first unique class, that could fulfill this and would also be the gap filler for an other problem would be the Partisan/Dragoon, as it would solve also the problem of the missing 3rd soldier class in the first line.

And especially if ANet puts some good effort into this one, with a unique different gameplay that feels also very different and independent of the warrior/guardian, then Anet would have somethign good in their hands against FF14, because the polearm weapon using class is most likely one of the reasons, why alot of peopel would go to this game, cause that game simply provides with the Dragoon this archetype of the polearm weapon user, which GW2 yet doesnt sadly, unless you go play a bit in water … cough.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

in Suggestions

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

Orpheal Orpheal Orpheal.

Bro, your post comes off as “Bossy” and “I know what’s best for the game”. On some level we all probably think we know what’s best for the game. But um, yeah…just because you wrote it don’t make it true.

You say something about about adding new weapon types later in your post when only a few lines up you talk about scythes already being in the game as a necro animation. That is an animation…to staff. Staff! A staff is a staff. Animation or not, it isn’t a scythe. The weapons you listed are all fine and dandy for the multi target weapon skills, but let me add a little something, ALL WEAPONS IN THE GAME HAVE MULTI-TARGET SKILLS. Adding a scythe or any other weapon isn’t going to change that.

Racial Elites I don’t think would effect dervish at all. The Dervish Avatars would/could mimic the Avatars from GW, becoming an actual mini version of a god. Someone already pointed out the Balthazar Avatar you change into during the priory quest…you know, the one where you kill the Risen storming the beach. Since you don’t get elites until 30 anyway, I don’t see why having being a dervish not be something attached to a dervish order storyline meant for ANY race, or at least accepts ANY race. That’s about the time you pick an order anyway. Set it up like WoW did deathknights (just not start levels at mid point), story wise.

Let me clue you in on something else, NO CLASS IN THE GAME PLAYS LIKE ITS GW COUNTERPART. So making a new class CALLED DERVISH with skills that have the names of GW skills wouldn’t be anything new. Because you know, Mesmer plays so much like a mes from GW, OMG NECRO plays so much like NECRO from GW. Oh yeah! can’t forget THIEF is exactly like a sin in every regard. The closest is probably the style of the Ranger and a basic ranger w/pet set up. Warrior probably come in a close second (very similar in most games to say the least).

I personally wouldn’t mind dervish at all. It’s not up to me how it would be done, that’s not my job. I also wouldn’t mind Rit, another heavy class (you could even make dervish heavy with decent class crafting), new weapon types of any sort be it:
Fans
Whips
Spears
Tomes
Great Axe
Mourning Star
Flails
Chain swords
Melee staves (bo)
Anything really. Wouldn’t mind new weapon skills added (which are coming) to existing weapon types. Every class getting access to weapon they couldn’t use before would be nice too.

All I’m saying is never say never, especially if you aren’t one working on the project, have no influence over what gets created at all.

(edited by Akari Storm.6809)

in Suggestions

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

I’ve been playing a dervish in GW2 for a long time. See: Guardian; traited 20/15/0/30/5. Spec into healing on your armor and boon duration for runes. Symbols, burning, buffs, and conditions all around you. It really does feel like Dervish playstyle.

I just miss the scythe really..

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Unholy Pillager.3791

Unholy Pillager.3791

I’ve been playing a dervish in GW2 for a long time. See: Guardian; traited 20/15/0/30/5. Spec into healing on your armor and boon duration for runes. Symbols, burning, buffs, and conditions all around you. It really does feel like Dervish playstyle.

I just miss the scythe really..

It doesn’t really fit my GW1 dervish play style; I was too obsessed with onslaught (at least, until they nerfed it to hell). The guardian is just so slow. The fusion of conditions and hexes means that being able to deal well with both (as my dervish could) isn’t a way to gain an advantage anymore. I might be able to find a way to link most of my healing to my attacks, but I get the feeling that it wouldn’t be as effective.

As for all of you nay-sayers: yes, I know that it couldn’t be linked to religion anymore. It isn’t as if the guardian (successor to both monks and paragons) has such ties now. I think the dervish successor would make an excellent medium-armored spellcasting class, something that GW2 is utterly lacking a the moment. We have a heavy spellcasting class (guardian), we have a light armor class which uses martial skills to some extent (mesmer), we still need a medium magic-user with melee and staff/scepter/focus, and possibly a light class with more martial proficiency and weapons such as longbow and rifle.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Killing Is Heroism.8429

Killing Is Heroism.8429

Bring back the dervish and I’ll pay double for that addition ;D
That was my 2nd favorite class (elementalist first)
I miss swinging a scythe around and becoming an avatar. In my opinion, it was the coolest class they made

Northern Shiverpeaks

in Suggestions

Posted by: bartrentenaar.8674

bartrentenaar.8674

Give me a ritualist and let their awesome armor return!

in Suggestions

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Not really a fan of the dervish, my least played with char of gw1.
A rit would be great, but no idea how they will transform this into a gw2 profession. Ghosts? i dont think so.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

the ritualist spirits became the engineer turrets and the ashes the toolkits…
it’s a pity because i miss the feeling of magic in medium classes in gw2.

why everyone insist that the class shouldn’t be tied to religion anymore?
i mean, if i being italian and everything want to become shintoist or muslim or whatever i can.
why this should not be possible for other races in a game?

unless they want to slowly destroy the idea of deity in the lore, keeping them strictly for the humans (that are becoming more and more elves like) as a cultural thing and not anymore a source of any power.

either way shapeshifting must not necessarily relate to some god…

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

in Suggestions

Posted by: ZinJin.8764

ZinJin.8764

To all of those who prefer the Ritualist over the Dervish, the Ritualist will sure come with Cantha expansion.

i hope soo. I loved Cantha and Ritualist ^.^
China style in Shing Jea Island and dark Echovald Forest my fav distinct regions.

in Suggestions

Posted by: PolarisSmash.8243

PolarisSmash.8243

I feel like it would not be too far a stretch to bring the derv back lore-wise. Anytime I ran into a dervish enemy it was usually labeled as a “zealot”. A zealot is a kind of religious extremist. They could be the people who still strongly believe that the Six gods will come back and use that faith to drive their skills. I could easily be incorporated to other races.

An asura who found human religion more appealing than the Eternal Alchemy; A norn who believes the Six are extensions of the Great Spirits; A sylvari choosing to believe in the human gods; A human how still believes the Six will return; and a charr (bare with me here) of the Flame Legion channeling the Titans and using the Six’s images as power.

I think it could work

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sir Castic.8035

Sir Castic.8035

I’d like to have a dervish too
@those who want ritus:
Spirits/GHosts? -> Turrets
Weapon enchants.. oh you mean something like the poison aura, guard f1 or anything? yeah, we got that too :p
The ashes? Engi Kits :p
Therefore, I see no reason why there should be a ritu, but not a dervish :p

The dervish doesn’t need to be like the dervish in gw1. Well, at least not exact the same^^’ Scythe: Yay Maybe with attacks that hit more than 3 targets. like 5 :/
I don’t care about the avatars ;D But why not a profession that’s made out of a dervish. I mean, it’s been many years between gw1 and gw2, so why shouldn’t the dervishs changed their way of life?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

^Ritualist class wouldn’t have to be like their former selves. The class would just bear the name with similar named skills. They don’t have to be a turret based class. They could actually become the bound spirits they summon. Turn them into a class actually based on envoking spirits doing you know, um rituals. Anything could be done, there are millions of ideas out there to capture the “spirit” of the ritualist class, get it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Draconicus.7564

Draconicus.7564

Nope, i prefer the Ritualists back please!!
And pls don’t make them possible to use Gswords…like the Mesmers & Rangers, that’s insane!!
Thank you.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rahaji.8312

Rahaji.8312

You bet I do! I want my scythe back kitten it!

in Suggestions

Posted by: bartrentenaar.8674

bartrentenaar.8674

Scythes are already in the game; stakitten in the shape of a scythe

in Suggestions

Posted by: The Meat Wagon.7194

The Meat Wagon.7194

No, i have good memories of the dervish class and its skill sets and gw2 would probably mess the skills up

in Suggestions

Posted by: Firebird Gomer.9563

Firebird Gomer.9563

Orpheal You have a few problems with your post.

First:
Anet has removed every class that has any kind of relationship to gods and religions and thats good so, because only this way can be classes neutral to all playable races.

They have lots of references to various game god’s, in both skills and lore so it hasn’t been removed.
Another way to tell is you have the human racial skills in the Elite sections.
Also even tho they aren’t playable what happens when the Kodan become a playable race. Their whole way of life is based around their god Koda.

Second:
There are no echantments, this includes also flash enchantments. Period !!

So what are the guardian’s virtues if not enchantments?
What are the Elementalists attunements if not enchantments?

Buffs like Might are enchantments as well

There are other things to say but I’m in a rush.

Tho I will add that to the people that don’t want a Derv, thats fine for your choice but our choice is to have one and we are allowed have our choice without being attacked.

And finally I believe that the Derv, with some GW’s 2 tweaks will work well with the game. Daggers would work, Scythes of course, a Hammer could work and some form of ranged weapon.

Thanks

(edited by Firebird Gomer.9563)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Firebird Gomer.9563

Firebird Gomer.9563

Continuing the push for the return of Dervish’s for GW’s 2