Are servers really neccessary?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dendail.4896

Dendail.4896

I had a conversation with my guild last night about Overflows & Servers in this game and eventually it came to a point where I mentioned that servers shouldn’t really exist in the first place and after explaining my view they thought it was a good idea & suggested I put it up here on the forums…

I think most of us can agree having merged servers on the lesser populated areas of the game would be a tremendous help in making the world feel populated. However why have servers at all? Why not have every zone “Overflow” without the existence of a home world? Make it so that at three quarters maximum population it starts creating a new overflow. This way it’ll give wiggle room for groups to run together without worrying about being full while keeping a consistent population.

I’m sure many of you have already thought how badly this would effect WvWvW since it relies on the notion of having servers. In my opinion this is actually a much easier fix than it would seem. It’s all about wording really. Change the word server to teams & suddenly it makes sense again. Instead of being from Server Tarnished Coast you are a member of Team Tarnished Coast when you enter WvWvW. This way merging the servers becomes seamlessly easy. As for the server wide bonuses make them apply to the individual members of the team.

What do you guys think? Is there pitfalls I missed? If so does the cons outweigh the pros of this system? I would be very interested in hearing everyone’s opinion on this.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mr International.3715

Mr International.3715

I’m pretty sure that without servers, nobody could play the game at all. Because its an MMO. Online. Nah really though I think thats a good idea, but I don’t know enough about servers and what not to say whether that would be realistic/doable. It might put too much strain on the server, with the amount of people that play this and the graphical intensity of the game.

in Suggestions

Posted by: zargnath.9524

zargnath.9524

Seems like a nice idea. Guess it would be to late to change now though.

Gnarl Blackfur – Charr ranger
Bob – Four legged shapeshifter
HeXagonis [HeX]

in Suggestions

Posted by: CarzorStelatis.5396

CarzorStelatis.5396

I’m pretty sure that without servers, nobody could play the game at all. Because its an MMO. Online. Nah really though I think thats a good idea, but I don’t know enough about servers and what not to say whether that would be realistic/doable. It might put too much strain on the server, with the amount of people that play this and the graphical intensity of the game.

I think the OP’s point was that rather than having permanent ‘server communities’ with only infrequent movement between them, s/he would prefer the GW1 system of having multiple ‘districts’ (servers effectively) listed for each town that has too many people for one server. Players could then move between these at will, and it would also greatly increase players’ choice of guilds.

Zargnath has a point though: this is more an ‘architectural’ thing and isn’t changeable.

in Suggestions

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

I think they had some vague intentions that we’d have a world/server community, and that by having all of a server compete together, it would enhance a sense of home. The game lacks a lot of the social tools and functions that you might find in other games to facilitate a sense of community.

Go ahead and call it “team” because we’re all residents of the same world, Tyria, but that’s not where WvW happens.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dendail.4896

Dendail.4896

I’m not too familiar with GW1’s way of doing things but I’m not terribly sure why this wouldn’t be possible in the game’s current state as it does this now. We all experienced this in LA or in many zones when this game first started. just remove the option to que to a home server. Of course there is probably a lot of background programming I am not taking in account but when it seems so visibly possible it’s hard to understand why it’s not.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

I think even if unintended and planned around this would have a negative effect on wvw

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

in Suggestions

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

They were specifically made for WvW

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred