BL Ruins are an insult to the game.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mal.1670

Mal.1670

For the first time since they’ve been released today we have a personal incentive to go out and take borderlands bloodlust ruins! There’s a new daily achievement for sitting for a few minutes taking five of them! Since there’s never been any reason to bother with them before, I moseyed on over to one of the colored squares and sat in it. And waited.

And waited. And watched the lil’ bar fill up as I sat there and waited. And that’s when it hit me: the borderlands ruins are an absolute insult to the game. The mechanic is boring and completely devoid of personal incentive because you don’t even get any event completion rewards for capturing them. Thinking back to what used to be, I want the 9 million krait and the lake back! Here’s why:

1. The system with the quaggan weather nodes was, if nothing else, active and engaging. To build them you had to hunt up pearls or actually play the game by killing krait. Once built, enemy nodes were a point of interest for passing zergs, camp raiding parties, and really anyone else in the area who wanted some reward for doing something in WvW
2. The center island mechanic was interesting because it gave purpose going through the middle of the map and involved killing stuff. Plus, depending on your build, not everyone could solo the dozens of krait that lurked about the place.
3. It’s a total pain going crossing the middle of borderlands now with 5 giant nothings that serve no purpose for a solo player because you might as well follow around your zerg and get oodles of loot, wxp and all that other good stuff.

The solution? Heck, no one has the perfect answer. But in my genuine opinion, a system combining what was lost and the new ruins mechanic would be a step in the direction. Instead of wasting your life standing in squares watching a bar fill with color, why not the goal of each ruin be to construct some structure of importance, kind of like the weather nodes. Except players would actively have to either spend supply, or perhaps kill nearby PvE mobs (earth elementals?) to get supplies they could use to help construct these things. It’s active, engaging, has you doing something related to playing the game, and ideally should reward the player upon successfully “capturing” the ruins by building the structure.

Say then the goal for enemies is to destroy the structure. Zerg or divide and conquer? And if players had to make a choice of hey, do we spend our supply now or hunt nearby monsters to gather supplies (maybe not even inventory items like pearls but bundles) to build it? And unlike the weather node system, worlds shouldn’t lose control over a ruin after having a structure destroyed, but a capture circle should come up which, as long as a defender stayed in it, would remain in control over the world that built it. If only enemies are in the circle within seconds control of the point is lost and a neutral structural foundation is spawned for the attackers to get to work on. Just my own idea that would bring more engaging, active gameplay than what we have now.

If nothing else, the ruins mechanic is boring, pointless and disappointing in every way possible. I love this game and I’m going to keep playing WvW for a long time to come, which is why I want a better experience than what we’re being given now. Thing is, as it stands there’s more reason than ever to stay in Eternal Battlegrounds for fun and goodies.

Thoughts?

(edited by Mal.1670)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I haven’t participated in this new feature. I’m only even aware of it because I happened to be in a boarderland looking at armor and also happened to look at the map. Also cause of the daily.

In any event I was expecting this to be some kind of lame, “You changed a thing and I arbitrarily don’t want it changed so change it back,” post. This was not that. This seems like a legitimate issue. I can’t say that I support replacing events and interesting interaction with sPvP node capping. That’s basically what it shoulds like, and sort of looks like for that matter.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

in Suggestions

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

I like the ruins but they don’t really fit scenically, kind of look like a weird growth. The boarderland maps need to be spread out more, the ruins make it look a bit cramped in the mid-southern portion of the map. Still need to get rid of the skritt and centuar and shrink spawn area(it really is just spread out way too much and takes up more space than it needs to.)

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

in Suggestions

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

Everything about the ruins is boring and unrewarding. No one is ever at the ruins so you end up sitting there bored just to cap and repeat. You can’t do it solo. No rewards, you are better off at camps or towers atleast you can run into people at those places. People just tend to avoid the ruins, they really don’t belong in WvW as they are now.

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

in Suggestions

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I absolutely dislike those ruins too and want the old design back….

Since the ruins are in, they totally “ruined” the whole balance of WvW that was somewhere there sometimes as long you dont just get steamrolled by a zerg naturally …
Now the whole game mechanics just have turned into “Buff Wars”…
Whoever has most of the way too overpowered ruin buffs, together with buff food and wvw trait buffs is like in half god mode, even when roaming around alone in the map, you can#t 1v1 such players as they simply mow you down without any required need of actually SKILL to do so

WvW needs finally some large redesign chances.

- Remove finally all buff food and buff potions out of WvW, this crap hasn’t anythingto search there. Buff items should be PvE only !!
It would massively help in balancing alot the WvW.

- Remove the 3 borderland maps and just make 1 single huge borderlandmap out of it that is similar designed like eternal battlegrounds with all 3 realms having basically no homeland, this would also help in the WvW Balance and make up for new space to implement finally some NEW WvW maps.
The game becomes quickly boring, when you have in WvW just only these 2 maps..
You implemented in the first year liek half a dozen of new SPVP maps.
Its finally time that WvW gets new maps !!!

- Change the ruin mechanics back to the Altar-System and refine that system that people have to claim the altars of Might, Courage and Wisdom to get some buffs and not this silly time chase crap of claiming and holding ruins, which leads only in people standing dumb around like on the silver plate for any enemy to pass by and sneak up on you in stealth to get some easy kills…
Since the ruins are there, you can#t absolutely roam around anymore freely in maps.

I want the Krait lake back, the lake was a good way for roamers to change between the map sides, without having basically to fear to hit on every few seconds on some small enemy groups that try to claim the ruins

The ruins event don’t reward you for getttign the bloodlust buff for your server, so nobody is making it basically, unless you want your server to get into half god mode so that you have it easier to mow down everything that gets in your way!!

This stupid buff makes it only alot easier to win against weaker less wvw populated servers, because they are basicalyl unable to permanently claim and keep the buff for long time when 1 enemy server has like 3x stronger wvw population and rules everythign just by their massive amount of presence byf people being just everywhere.

This buff should be redesigned more like a TIDE TURNER with effects, that help underpopulated servers to get not totally destroyed having absolutely no chance and not something, that makes the already super strong servers only stronger!

The ruins should be some kind of dynamic event, that works like the commander event,s which should only get started by outmanned servers to help them get back on the feet and reclaim back some towers/keeps ect. long enough, so that they can get build up and not been taken some minutes later again..
Havign made that event, should give keep champs some kind of buff like that from the supply advisors, so that the place can’t be taken for some time and makes npcs alot stronger, so that it forces enemies better to flee and not just wait n sit there, until the timer has run out ….

WvW has so much potential to be a much more fun part of the game, seriously….
But ANet wastes it so far… by mechanics like the current ruins, which destoys more of WvW, than it helps to make WvW better at all …

The complete focus of players shifted from claiming towers/keeps ect. into a ruin wars, only so that you can easier claim then anything after.

If Anet insists on keeping the ruins as they are now, then please consider at least redesignign the claim mechanic, that we don’t have to stupidly stand around on a place for way too long time to claim these spots and that once claimed, it stays claimed!! Without that silly spot slowly losing the claim again.
If enemy players want to reclaim a ruin, they should make successfully a dynamic event…

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zemi.4137

Zemi.4137

Well, what can I say? I must agree with you. I see no one caring about the ruins. Everyone is complaining. I think that it was a bad decision to add these buffs and the implementation of the ruins was even worse. The area where previously was a lake is now bunch of walls, stairs and obstacles. Two main questions:

1- Buffs are bad
The most spetacular activity in WvW was to compare player and commander skills in zerg confrontations, either in siege situations or in open battlefield. Before, the most skilled and organized would win the fight. Now, the buffs will unbalace things and take out the fun by removing merit from winners and providing “buff excuses” to loosers. One important thing to notice is that fair GvG in WvW will now be very hard to do. It is a thing that players were doing without the appropriate mechanics so Anet should promote it instead of “ruining” it.

2- Ruin mechanics are horrible
No rewards for conquering or holding ruins!? Having to wait a ton of time there, most of the times alone and with no defenses is just boring. Debuff when leaving the area makes people just feel that it was worthless to conquer the ruin. In WvW, guys want to fight other people. Man vs man. Zerg vs zert. This system only benefit sneaky attacks and unfair advantages. The rage will start to grow at the same time that WvW looses fun. Players that keep playing there just care about objectives, not the fun of the combat and eventualy they get tired until WvW becomes empty.

WvW has so much potential to grow and become the main focus of GW2 players, but Anet seems just not focused in WvW and they give us this and that just to shut some mouths. They are more focused in promoting PvE and sPvP but it looks like a lost battle. Players want more from WvW ANet!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Have No Faith In Me.1840

Have No Faith In Me.1840

The only reason this daily was brought in, is because less than 1% of players fight around the ruins.

ANets metrics show that nobody cares about the ruins, this is their last gasp at getting players to participate there.

It is a petty attempt.

Just remove the ruins, it is obvious by this band aid daily that your idea is a failure. Thank you ANet.