Battlegrounds: The Weak Link

in Suggestions

Posted by: JaBlam.7196

JaBlam.7196

Q:

I am not proud to admit it, but I was once a serious wow player.

I wasn’t a true guildy, with more friends online then in real life. I wasn’t the worlds highest DPS raider and I didn’t strive for every single achievement in the game. I was a Battleground Enthusiast.

Why? – Because I found this was the most unique and dynamic game-play that wow had to offer AND there was always some new item out there, that kept me coming back for more.

Before you rant about how GW2 is not WOW, and that there is no gear treadmill, yada yada… keep reading. I know this, I love it, and that’s not the point.

So, with all of the improvements to mmo pve and dynamic questing, why is it that so many people go back to other games? Why is it that lower budget games stand a chance against this masterpiece? Why is it that the forums are full of people who even prefer GW1 PVP???

Because there’s nothing good to gain from GW2 Battlegrounds. (the Mists) Sure, cosmetic upgrades are a nice BONUS… but that’s just not enough.

RPG’s attract a certain type of player. Those who love loot. Those who like building a character into something better, and using that to their advantage. This barely exists in The Mists. I understand wanting to make things fair, but this isn’t supposed to be COD… actually I think there’s more to earn in COD pvp right now…

I’m not saying re-introduce the gear treadmill, I just saying implement some earn-able tiered gear. I’m not even saying that the best earn-able gear needs to be any better than the best currently available. Just make people earn it. They will love you for it.

OR

Create a new Battleground mode, witch allows you to play with your hard earned pve gear, and see for yourself. I’d bet it sees waaaaaaay more attention DESPITE not being as balanced.

I’d also like to add that playing low level pvp was tons of fun. Fighting with no more than a few simple attacks at level 19 was easily as entertaining and required a different kind of strategy.

If you don’t already agree with what I’ve said, ask yourself: Why is it that in wow, people avoided large team battles like the plague, while in GW2 far more people play wvwvw? It’s simple. Working hard for a bunch of gear makes an mmo. Otherwise it’s just an arcade game…

Please ANet. See this post. Realize your one fault and fix it. The way I see it, this is the only thing keeping a very large number of people from sticking to this game.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sir Tripsalot.1803

Sir Tripsalot.1803

Too late for that. When Anet decided to cap off gear progression at exotic it created an overly balanced pvp scenario with nothing to work for. Realizing their mistake, they began to add ascended tier items to the game, but even the minimal stat increase that ascended gear grants there are still hordes of players QQ’ing about how the 15 or so extra stats from ascended weapons is so unfair. I mean, how dare they let a player work towards a goal that might actually give them an advantage that is so slight, it’s virtually unnoticeable! The nerve! Sadly however, a large portion of the game was spoiled and now thinks this way, you know, the type that blames a lost fight on his opponent’s weapon instead of admitting he was beat. They would never allow Anet to even consider a progression system going higher than the one there is now. However, that just brings us back to the original problem: the lack of progression.

Sorrow’s Furnace [SF] [mfya]
Mr Pocket Rocket~Charr~Guardian~Commander

in Suggestions

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Because there’s nothing good to gain from GW2 Battlegrounds. (the Mists) Sure, cosmetic upgrades are a nice BONUS… but that’s just not enough.

I’m not saying re-introduce the gear treadmill, I just saying implement some earn-able tiered gear. I’m not even saying that the best earn-able gear needs to be any better than the best currently available. Just make people earn it. They will love you for it.

These statements are at odds at each other, unless you mean lock all of the sigils and runes behind a Glory cost.

RPG’s attract a certain type of player. Those who love loot. Those who like building a character into something better, and using that to their advantage. This barely exists in The Mists. I understand wanting to make things fair, but this isn’t supposed to be COD… actually I think there’s more to earn in COD pvp right now…

I can’t say I fully agree with this.

Sure, a lot of players may play it for the loot, but a lot of players play RPG’s for the story and immersive worlds, and couldn’t give two shakes about getting better and better loot. In fact, I’d go as far as saying that Battlegrounds don’t cater to RPG play; you can’t really role-play while in battlegrounds. Rather, they’re like MOBA in the sense that they’re limited in numbers.

If you don’t already agree with what I’ve said, ask yourself: Why is it that in wow, people avoided large team battles like the plague, while in GW2 far more people play wvwvw? It’s simple. Working hard for a bunch of gear makes an mmo. Otherwise it’s just an arcade game…

Could be a number of other reasons as well:

• People have gotten bored of one game mode in SPvP, whereas WvW has had an addition made.
  • WvW could be more people’s preferred choice.
  • WvW currently has a league going on.

I for one prefer WvW over SPvP, and it has nothing to do with gear. I couldn’t care less about gear. I’m perfectly happy in my Exotics. I prefer it simply because I’m not limited in how many friends I play with at one time.

They would never allow Anet to even consider a progression system going higher than the one there is now. However, that just brings us back to the original problem: the lack of progression.

Except vertical progression where numbers just get bigger is probbaly the shallowest form of progression:

• Bigger numbers =/= more options.
  • It’s an illusion of sorts. If your damage goes up by 10, and the enemy’s health goes up by 10, have you really made any progress?

Horizontal progression, where the player gets more options to build the character how they want, and it isn’t necessarily more powerful, is the sort of progression they should be chasing after.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Suggestions

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

Too late for that. When Anet decided to cap off gear progression at exotic it created an overly balanced pvp scenario with nothing to work for. Realizing their mistake, they began to add ascended tier items to the game, but even the minimal stat increase that ascended gear grants there are still hordes of players QQ’ing about how the 15 or so extra stats from ascended weapons is so unfair. I mean, how dare they let a player work towards a goal that might actually give them an advantage that is so slight, it’s virtually unnoticeable! The nerve! Sadly however, a large portion of the game was spoiled and now thinks this way, you know, the type that blames a lost fight on his opponent’s weapon instead of admitting he was beat. They would never allow Anet to even consider a progression system going higher than the one there is now. However, that just brings us back to the original problem: the lack of progression.

The advantage is not slight. Replace your ascended weapon and trinkets with exotics then go run around in WvW. I did just to see what sort of difference it made and I was surprised.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

in Suggestions

JaBlam.7196

These statements are at odds at each other, unless you mean lock all of the sigils and runes behind a Glory cost.

No they are not. earning tiers of gear up to a set that is best in slot, and having that whole list of gear replaced every 4-6 are two totally different things.

Sure, a lot of players may play it for the loot, but a lot of players play RPG’s for the story and immersive worlds, and couldn’t give two shakes about getting better and better loot. In fact, I’d go as far as saying that Battlegrounds don’t cater to RPG play; you can’t really role-play while in battlegrounds. Rather, they’re like MOBA in the sense that they’re limited in numbers.

So then why collect gear at all? MOBA’s do not usually include a full set of gear you collect and maintain, but in match gear. A system unlike any typical RPG. If someone is not looking to collect then why not play an action/adventure game? Not to mention the fact that WOW did earn literally Billions based on this concept. It’s like ANet tried to get on the bandwagon with everyone else, then underestimated a few of the key things that keep people coming back.

• People have gotten bored of one game mode in SPvP, whereas WvW has had an addition made.

I for one prefer WvW over SPvP, and it has nothing to do with gear. I couldn’t care less about gear. I’m perfectly happy in my Exotics. I prefer it simply because I’m not limited in how many friends I play with at one time.

All things that are a result of crappy sPVP, not the other way around. More game modes are not being made, because no one is playing sPVP anyways. People prefer wvw, because its better than spvp. They originally wanted spvp to be the gamemode with a legue, but more people play wvw.

They would never allow Anet to even consider a progression system going higher than the one there is now. However, that just brings us back to the original problem: the lack of progression.

Except vertical progression where numbers just get bigger is probbaly the shallowest form of progression:

• It’s an illusion of sorts. If your damage goes up by 10, and the enemy’s health goes up by 10, have you really made any progress?

Horizontal progression, where the player gets more options to build the character how they want, and it isn’t necessarily more powerful, is the sort of progression they should be chasing after.

You need to read what people are saying more closely. I already stated that it’s not a matter of an infinite gear treadmill. You need to ear a set of gear to be relevant in dungeons don’t you? And you played those a bunch in order to get that gear? (unless you cheaply bought it). Yes, pve gear can be maxed out, but you still have to earn your way to that point.

All I’m saying is make people earn each of the various sets available for free in the mists. Don’t add more gear every 6 months, just make people start somewhere.

I for one know that “balancing gear” and getting rid of tiered gear is just for the whiners out there. why? because I ENJOY games where I have to work my way up. OH NO, its actually CHALLENGING….???? Not because you can easily beat lower leveled characters, but because it’s satisfyingly to beat someone who has more gear than you do. In WvW people are not balanced at all. Yet more people are playing that.

So again I vote for a new set of 10vs10 battlegrounds, using wvw gear.

(edited by JaBlam.7196)

in Suggestions

JaBlam.7196

No they are not. earning tiers of gear up to a set that is best in slot, and having that whole list of gear replaced every 4-6 are two totally different things.

So then why collect gear at all? MOBA’s do not usually include a full set of gear you collect and maintain, but in match gear. A system unlike any typical RPG. If someone is not looking to collect then why not play an action/adventure game? Not to mention the fact that WOW did earn literally Billions based on this concept. It’s like ANet tried to get on the bandwagon with everyone else, then underestimated a few of the key things that keep people coming back.

All things that are a result of crappy sPVP, not the other way around. More game modes are not being made, because no one is playing sPVP anyways. People prefer wvw, because its better than spvp. They originally wanted spvp to be the gamemode with a legue, but more people play wvw.

You need to read what people are saying more closely. I already stated that it’s not a matter of an infinite gear treadmill. You need to ear a set of gear to be relevant in dungeons don’t you? And you played those a bunch in order to get that gear? (unless you cheaply bought it). Yes, pve gear can be maxed out, but you still have to earn your way to that point.

All I’m saying is make people earn each of the various sets available for free in the mists. Don’t add more gear every 6 months, just make people start somewhere.

I for one know that “balancing gear” and getting rid of tiered gear is just for the whiners out there. why? because I ENJOY games where I have to work my way up. OH NO, its actually CHALLENGING….???? Not because you can easily beat lower leveled characters, but because it’s satisfyingly to beat someone who has more gear than you do. In WvW people are not balanced at all. Yet more people are playing that.

in Suggestions

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

So basically what you’re saying is you start off with white gear and green runes / sigils, and you have to unlock the tiers in order?

If someone is not looking to collect then why not play an action/adventure game?

I personally play MMO’s so I can play with my friends and explore, and yes, I do enjoy a certain amount of theorycrafting. However, that’s more on the ‘how should I build my traits / skills?’ rather than the stat side of things.

My motivations to play games aren’t to collect shinies. Mostly, I only do so if certain content is gated by such requirements.

I was quoting Sir Tripsalot, who mentioned about not letting the gear tiers go any higher.

That’s still a fallacy. Just because more people are playing WvW, it doesn’t mean they’re playing WvW because it’s ‘unbalanced’.

And not really. Leveling up, me and my friends done all dungeons (aside from Arah, which we haven’t done yet) at level appropriate, in a mish-mash of gear (greens, blues and yellows) which we bought. I didn’t feel any sense of achievement in getting that gear; the sense of achievement was gained from completing the content. Just like I had no sense of achievement when I finally maxed my gear out.

I personally don’t see the point in having tiers of gear in SPvP. If you have to start off out at the bottom anyway, you’re going to be up against people who are similarly geared, due to how the match-up system works.

The jumping puzzle in WvW will have an area where you can have team fights in your PvE gear.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.