Black Lion Chest- Upgrading or Cheaper keys [Merged]

in Suggestions

Posted by: AlexanderFaust.4518

AlexanderFaust.4518

I’m sure by now, most people have at least 20-30 of these… sitting in your inventory.

Yet even though you CAN buy/find keys to unlock these chests.. honestly, I find that the items you get inside to be pretty lack luster… (Boosts, more keys, mob pots, harvesting tools, ect..).

Being that I can buy these on the TP for 4 copper each, seems ta say that most everyone else feels the same way..

So, I’m curious… would you (the community) like it if ANet allowed you to “upgrade” or alter your chest via the forge?

Like say… change it into a “dye pack chest” or a “Mini’s chest” or.. even a pure booster chest?

and if yes.. then are there other “recipes” for the BLC you would like to see added?

#This is all in an effort to make the BLC something we actually look forward ta getting.. rather then viewing it as normal “trash loot” ~ which in turn, would provoke more people to purchase keys from the CS .

Attachments:

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lance Coolee.9480

Lance Coolee.9480

? Attachment GoneWild?

“GW2 takes everything you love about GW1” – M. O’Brien
“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2” – C. Johanson
“The most important thing in any game should be the player” – R. Soesbee

in Suggestions

AlexanderFaust.4518

? Attachment GoneWild?

I’m not sure what that is… o.O

The attachement I added was this one::

Attachments:

in Suggestions

Lance Coolee.9480

It did show a rather “risque” attachment though, right?

I know it’s late for me, but my eyes aren’t that far gone.

in Suggestions

AlexanderFaust.4518

It did show a rather “risque” attachment though, right?

I know it’s late for me, but my eyes aren’t that far gone.

lol.. ya, I seen it too kinda freaked me out XD

in Suggestions

Lance Coolee.9480

ok cool, lol

it was from a previous thread that looked to have gotten deleted; it regarded umm, well “nekkid” characters in the world =/

in Suggestions

AlexanderFaust.4518

ok cool, lol

it was from a previous thread that looked to have gotten deleted; it regarded umm, well “nekkid” characters in the world =/

lol, interesting..

Curious tho.. what do you think of the idea?

in Suggestions

Posted by: FlukeRogi.2075

FlukeRogi.2075

On the subject of chests/keys, haven’t had a key drop/reward in what must be 2 weeks at least. As above, I’m sitting on a pile of them now, and given that from the chests I did open in the first week or two I didn’t get anything useful, why would I spend gems on getting keys?

Can you still get keys without buying them?

in Suggestions

Posted by: joe.7684

joe.7684

I’ve got about 60 of those chests sitting in my own bank storage by now, with no keys to open them. And, honestly, I don’t feel inclined to buy the keys necessary to open them, because I just don’t think what you get out of them is generally worth it. Especially the tonics, which seem to be purely for fun in GW2 as opposed to GW1 where you could at least get party points by using them. I’d be all for a system of recycling the chests through the Mystic Forge.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Detahmaio.2014

Detahmaio.2014

I noticed on lower levels alts I get about 3-4 keys max then I go on a streak of never finding them. The stuff you get inside isn’t worth the cost of keys.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

the rewards in these chests are really lacking. I would even trade gold for gems/keys from time to time if I would get more worthwhile items instead of those darn tonics.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mateking.9564

Mateking.9564

What an Interesting Idea. Specializing your chest to make buying keys more interesting is a really good Idea. I for myself would want a higher chance for mystic salvage kits and wouldn’t care about a lower chance for boosters. I see a lot of potential in this Idea

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fozzik.1742

Fozzik.1742

They added quite a bit of additional stuff as possibilities from chests, including a wider variety of boosts, single-use bank and TP thingies, and also permanent bankers and traders and things.

I think the chests are the closest thing in the game to pure slot-machine gambling. I’m guessing ArenaNet set these up as one of the primary means of enticing people into spending money. The truth is, I think most players can easily see they are gambling and not worth it. I kind of hope ArenaNet removes them, and doesn’t keep improving the potential rewards trying to push more people into buying keys.

They said about their shop, that their method of deciding what should be sold and what shouldn’t, they would ask themselves, “Is it evil”. I think with the way those chests are set up…dropping so often in game with the keys being rare, and with the rare possibility of some really useful rewards inside, just falls way to close to the line or crosses over into evil. It’s blatantly manipulative, and I think players realize that very quickly. I think that’s why they are almost worthless in the economy, and why I think few people are buying keys (they obviously improved the potential rewards because the keys weren’t selling).

I bought five keys because I had the gems already and wanted to see if I’d get lucky and get a permanent BLTP express. Sort of like spending $1 on the lottery…just to give it a shot. I didn’t win, and I won’t be buying any more keys. Just like I don’t blow $50 a week on lottery tickets, those chests are really just a good way to waste your money, and most people understand that intuitively.

Get rid of them, ArenaNet.

With all that said, I think your suggestion is a pretty awesome one. You probably should have posted it in the suggestions subforum with a more obvious title, though.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

I tend to ignore them already, and that’s coming from a new player who only has about 12 in the bank and opened… two!

They’re a gold selling advertise in my eyes, but one coming from the game creators themselves

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in Suggestions

AlexanderFaust.4518

With all that said, I think your suggestion is a pretty awesome one. You probably should have posted it in the suggestions subforum with a more obvious title, though.

I’ve been posting a lot of suggestions lately.. most don’t get much if any attention/replies ~ so with this, I wanted to see what the communities response to the idea would be, before taking it to the suggestions area..

lol, though that doesn’t stop a mod from simply moving it XD

in Suggestions

AlexanderFaust.4518

Hmm, actually.. if a mod sees this ~ can move it too the suggestion area.
People seem to like the idea “as is”

in Suggestions

Posted by: krojack.4920

krojack.4920

I picked up 8 within a 1 hour time span last night. 3 in a row at one point. They want you to buy the keys off the TP. Another (real) money sink just to get useless junk. Granted they said they are adding or added a chance if the chest dropping a permanent trade post NPC item type of guy, I still don’t see them being worth anything at all. Maybe make the chest have a chance to drop from 10 silver up to 2 gold.

80 Sylvari Ranger – Jade Quarry
» My current Guild Wars 2 game annoyances

in Suggestions

Posted by: Serrax.2403

Serrax.2403

If they really want to get some cash with selling this keys they NEED to put something worthwhile in them. ala valve with the team fortress 2 unusuals.

They culd add maybe permanent tonics like zaishen chests on gw1 or something very rare as long as they keep it cosmetic, i dont care what it is,but right now theres nothing really wanting me to spend money on keys.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aristio.2784

Aristio.2784

A specialized chest would make me more inclined to trade some gold for some keys. Other than that, the chest are not worth the gold/gems that it takes to open them. The way I see it, it’s more like a Zynga-chest, where you find “SUPER SPECIAL RARE CHEST THAT TAKES 50 CENTS TO OPEN” and it drops every 5 minutes. If we could get some sort of “Critical hit” when opening these chest to get triple the amount/quality of the chest, I could definitely see myself opening a few more on those drunken evenings and I have my debit card in my hand.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Masher.8051

Masher.8051

Played 142 hours, 52 chests about 1 key which i think was from one of the quests. DO keys even drop or am i forced to buy these? seriously i am not going to buy keys when i’ll probably get something completely useless to me from them.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I have at least 15 of these in my bank at the moment. I opened 2 after getting keys as story rewards and immediately lost interest in opening any more. If/when I get more keys I’ll use them because it’s slightly better than destroying them, but I certainly wouldn’t pay for them, either with gold or real money.

My guild had to ban people from putting them into the guild bank because no one ever took them out and they were just clogging up space.

On the other hand if there was a way to turn them into dye or mini packs, even if the conversion was something like 10 chests to one pack and I had to buy a key (or equivilently priced item) from the gem store to do it I’d be very interested.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Debsylvania.7396

Debsylvania.7396

I’d love to be able to throw four chests into the forge to upgrade it. I’d even buy keys to open something like that.

Deb ~The Chewbacca Defense [TCD];
Waiting For Death [WFD]
@ Borlis Pass Server

in Suggestions

Posted by: Punjoke.6013

Punjoke.6013

Found about 130 chests and 3 keys in the wild. None of my friends have ever had a key drop for them, however, so I think I’m a statistical outlier. The contents of the chests aren’t exciting even when they’re free, why would anyone ever consider spending money on them?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Derpinator.2894

Derpinator.2894

I wouldn’t mind seeing the be mystic forgeable into something. Maybe for every 10 I throw in, I get one back unlocked or something?

I wouldn’t spend money on anything I’ve ever seen or heard anyone else getting out of a chest no matter how specific they got: “uber gold, shiny disco-tint armor dye”. Nope. Not spending money on it. Much less on some random bag of crap.

Masher: I don’t believe the keys drop from mobs. I’ve gotten them from map and personal story completion if memory serves, and a few out of chests themselves as I opened them. I think I’ve had something like 6 drop in 200ish hours played.

in Suggestions

AlexanderFaust.4518

Masher: I don’t believe the keys drop from mobs.

Unless this was recently changed.. then YES, keys DO drop from mobs
*(picked up at least one in the past 3 weeks)

in Suggestions

Derpinator.2894

Masher: I don’t believe the keys drop from mobs.

Unless this was recently changed.. then YES, keys DO drop from mobs
*(picked up at least one in the past 3 weeks)

Ok. I sit corrected. /shrug

I don’t recall ever getting one, and as I said, I have nearly 200 hours played, so it’s obviously incredibly rare.

in Suggestions

Posted by: CaveSalamander.9150

CaveSalamander.9150

Atlering the chanses sure as skritt seem attractive.. I especially the idea of a dye chest (dye gamble-holic here). Maybe even a trader chest?

Perhaps the chests would still be random, but with greater chanses for certain items. BLCs are, after all, about the gamble of getting a thing you want.

My quest is to find the dorito.

in Suggestions

Posted by: elocke.7132

elocke.7132

They should make these chests give out karma and/or dungeon tokens. Now that would increase their value two fold.

in Suggestions

AlexanderFaust.4518

@Elocke
Dungeon tokens?… hmmmmmmmmmmm

wouldn’t be opposed to it, but at the same time how would you balance those types of chests?

IE: what would the random content table consist of?

For the recipe tho, I could see throwing in a “ghost transformation potion” with the chest in the mystic forge to get an AC dungeon themed chest.

Also begs the question… if we can use the ghost potion.. what’s to stop us from being able to use the “mob” potions?

What could you get via Minotaur potion + chest + leather scraps + phylo stones?
would it be gear?… crafting mats?… or boosters?…

What would you like ta see in’em?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

They are the one thing in this game, really in-game I mean, that remind me of the fact that they are trying to sell stuff for real life money too.

I mentioned it above: it gives me the same feeling as a goldsellers spam mail…

This said: I welcome any suggestion made to actually make them usefull.
But it does feel like asking the goldsellers to give you things for free, doesn’t it?

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in Suggestions

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

They should make these chests give out karma and/or dungeon tokens. Now that would increase their value two fold.

and closer to Pay to win.

fine as is IMO

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rack.4930

Rack.4930

The reasoning behind this is pretty apparent, you can buy keys in the gem store but not chests. For this reason I don’t think Anet would ever add anything you could do with them to break that ratio, just more things to make them tempting to open. As it stands I opened 3 of them, got some decentish stuff (Black Lion Salvage kit being probably the best) and then forgot about it.

One thing I think would be nice is if they buffed the tonics. If they were PVE only, didn’t work in dungeons and added perma swiftness and mob ignore traits I’d be wanting to use them pretty constantly as is I used 3 of them experimenting ankittenempted to throw the rest away.

in Suggestions

Derpinator.2894

and closer to Pay to win.

fine as is IMO

You know it just occurred to me that I don’t know what “win” means in this game.

spvp is equal territory. Exotic gear is “the best” available and is easily obtained.

So “winning” in this case means “getting your character to look the way you want it to?”

And what’s wrong with paying for that honestly? I’m not going to do it, but how does it hurt anyone if someone else buys keys, that open chests, that the legitimately looted in game, and they happen to do it often enough to get an armor set?

[edit: forgot that chests are sellable/buyable, so that last bit doesn’t really apply. Question still stands though I think.]

Honestly, I’m not sure how it hurts you if someone just pays cash for the look they want. So you ground out your gear. So he worked a couple of hours of overtime at the real life job.

I really don’t see much difference, but that’s just me.

So… “pay to win”. Didn’t everybody pay to win by buying the game, at least in some sense?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Soulbound Soldier.6148

Soulbound Soldier.6148

^ I think by win he either means a. maxing or b. completionist status. In either case, not necessarily. Not everyone buys the game with the anticipation of “winning” which is the biggest thing that sets pay-to-play apart from buy-to-play. With the former, you’ll keep playing only if you find it worth the monthly fee whereas with the latter, you can buy it and pour as much or as little time as you want into it; it’s yours forever.

in Suggestions

AlexanderFaust.4518

No matter how ya change these chests.. even including dungeon tokens or karma.. quite simply, there’s no “pay to win” in GW2.

IE: GW2 isn’t “Gear based”.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cancer.9065

Cancer.9065

Armor in chest?

Yes, I wouldn’t mind, but you will have to settle for an unique armor that can only be obtained in the chests… a BLTC specialty armor/outfit if you will. (actually its not a bad idea to cash in on the gamblers Anet, get to it!)

Anet will never put dungeon armor in chests because they have repeatedly stated that they believe in progression meaning that a piece of armor is meant to show how far the toon has progressed to be able to get them.

There are skins ready to buy in the BLTC and you can be sure they will add more there in time.

Cancer is also a Zodiac sign.

in Suggestions

Soulbound Soldier.6148

It wouldn’t be very unique given how many listings of the chests there are as well as the quantity people have built up already.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cancer.9065

Cancer.9065

Sorry if not clear. Unique not meant as in how many people can get them, but as in how people can get them.

If it only comes from the chest then is unique to the chests. If you see some walking in the BLTC armor you know that they got it from keys/chests.

Cancer is also a Zodiac sign.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cod Eye.1632

Cod Eye.1632

The chests are not all that good imho, got 2 characters to level 80 and never had a key drop, yet in beta keys did drop for the chests, the only keys I ever received was rewards from story mode. I had 64 chests in my bank at one point, I just dumped them on the trading post for a few copper. For what you get inside these chests I really couldn’t justify buying keys from the cash shop.

“Hey I swung a sword, Hey Hey I swung a sword again,”

“After several hours I’m still swinging this sword with1 lodestone drop”

in Suggestions

Soulbound Soldier.6148

Strange that’s the only place I’ve been getting my keys too. Never once got a key as a drop.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rhyse.8179

Rhyse.8179

If I could predict the outcome, I would be willing to toss the occassional 150 gems (which, personally, I only buy for gold) at a chest. Dye packs, sets of specific boosters (not random ones), are things that would be worth it to me, if I knew for sure what I was getting out of it.

This could also be a good way for Anet to dynamically adjust inflation, by adding recipe chains to convert chests into things that use up gold/mats/drops/whatever has way too much surplus at the time.

“I care nothing for a festering industry that wantonly refuses to
provide a service that I’m willing to purchase.” – Fortuna.7259

in Suggestions

Posted by: Untouch.2541

Untouch.2541

I got a key from 100%ing a zone.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Corew.8932

Corew.8932

I’ve also never gotten a key from anything but the story line, also from the beginning when I actually got a key I usually got more from the chests, lately it seems the keys from chests has become somewhat rare..

in Suggestions

Posted by: Belcross.6127

Belcross.6127

This will be the first of me hearing or reading about keys dropping from world mobs.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I’d like them to take the exclusive things out of the chests (perma portable trading post, bank etc) because this kind of gambling feels very incideous to me. Looking at the huge advantage such items offer (being able to constantly update your TP bids anywhere in the game as soon as you have a moment’s break (waiting for the second part of a chain event, waiting for a group member to get back from AFK etc) is a huge deal. The merchant is similair. I saw a terrible thread on reddit which had a few people spend over a couple hundred dollars trying for these items to no luck. That kind of thing is what these chests do when you put too valuable items in them. Any item like that should have been sold from the store or a rare way to obtain it in game.

I would hate to see these chests become any more valuable than they are (or ever were). Their original contents were pretty harlmess, either temporary cosmetic fluff or boosters, most of which could be bought outright. I never want to see any more valuable items added to them.

Leave them as they are, or remove some of the permanent items from them. Players should never have to gamble for those kinds of things, it’s exploitative. I don’t mind them being worthless, it’s always a downer to loot them knowing I will never open them, but I’m OK with that now. Knowing there is an incredibly valuable item inside of them I will almost certainly never own because it’s a massive gamble, I’m not OK with that. Don’t add more to them unless it’s tonics or some other garbage which gives no advantages.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

Just to confirm, I’ve only had one key drop off of a mob, but I have had one. That was on Monday.
I think I currently have 140 BLCs on my warrior.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Corew.8932

Corew.8932

I’d like them to take the exclusive things out of the chests (perma portable trading post, bank etc) because this kind of gambling feels very incideous to me. Looking at the huge advantage such items offer (being able to constantly update your TP bids anywhere in the game as soon as you have a moment’s break (waiting for the second part of a chain event, waiting for a group member to get back from AFK etc) is a huge deal. The merchant is similair. I saw a terrible thread on reddit which had a few people spend over a couple hundred dollars trying for these items to no luck. That kind of thing is what these chests do when you put too valuable items in them. Any item like that should have been sold from the store or a rare way to obtain it in game.

I would hate to see these chests become any more valuable than they are (or ever were). Their original contents were pretty harlmess, either temporary cosmetic fluff or boosters, most of which could be bought outright. I never want to see any more valuable items added to them.

Leave them as they are, or remove some of the permanent items from them. Players should never have to gamble for those kinds of things, it’s exploitative. I don’t mind them being worthless, it’s always a downer to loot them knowing I will never open them, but I’m OK with that now. Knowing there is an incredibly valuable item inside of them I will almost certainly never own because it’s a massive gamble, I’m not OK with that. Don’t add more to them unless it’s tonics or some other garbage which gives no advantages.

It’s not hard to figure why they updated the chests with those items and I’m pretty sure they adjusted the droprate of keys from chests at the same time, downwards.

in Suggestions

Posted by: krojack.4920

krojack.4920

No matter how ya change these chests.. even including dungeon tokens or karma.. quite simply, there’s no “pay to win” in GW2.

IE: GW2 isn’t “Gear based”.

Every MMO that requires you to get better gear to do more damage is gear based. If it wasn’t gear based then why doesn’t every single level 80 shortbow, common, rare or epic have the exact same stats? When you ding 80, why are you not doing the exact same DPS as another person the same class as you that’s been 80 for 5 months? It’s because they have been getting better gear.

I’m not complaining, just trying to squash out the “it’s not gear based” when in fact it is to an extent.

80 Sylvari Ranger – Jade Quarry
» My current Guild Wars 2 game annoyances

in Suggestions

AlexanderFaust.4518

@Krojack

By me saying “GW2 is not gear based” ~ I’m refering to the gear treadmill found in MMO’s.

For a better example of this, just watch:: http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/power-creep

As you can see.. GW2 isn’t “gear based”.
Thus no matter what they put into the chests… they’ll never be P2W.

in Suggestions

AlexanderFaust.4518

@wheeler

Sure, why not?
lol, the % of these chests actually dropping isn’t exactly “low”.

Really wish I knew what MF actually did and IF it does affect the chests aswell.