Bring back the "Take a break" message from GW1

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

I never really appreciated it before, but this article highlights the dangers of prolonged gaming sessions.
Having the game advise us to take a break for a drink or just to stretch our legs every ninety minutes would help gamers remember their health.

The article is very well written, and David Staniforth, the father who tragically lost his son to e-thrombosis shows an admirable, measured approach to his campaign, not trying to scaremonger, but simply highlighting a few measures we as gamers can take to help prevent out such things happening to ourselves.

Here’s a link to David’s site which offers advice on how to avoid e-thrombosis:
http://www.take-time-out.info/

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

in Suggestions

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

I disagree with you. Though the father’s story is a sad one, the problem isn’t a lack of a message. The problem is that video games in general are addictive. Second life games aka role playing games are even more addictive cause it can be used as a flight. Multilplayer games are also addictive cause of the social aspect (in 90 minutes I have a very important meeting bout my future in RL. even though I explained that a friend was whispering when I got to bed early (cause of that) ‘No WvW??’.

The combination of those three things make MMORPG’s like GW2 Highly addictive. That doesn’t mean it can’t be enjoyable, but all in good measures. A take a break message however isn’t the solution. It is annoying and does nothing more to the addicted then the smoking kills warnings. The human mind is very well capable to filter the info we want and do not want and people who play too long for prolonged times simply filter the message. So for the ‘good’ people it is annoying and the people who need it won’t even notice it. I dp want to thank you however of making people aware of this again.

If you have someone in your envirement who plays too long, giving them a high risk on this dissease or is ruining real life overall cause off playing too much GW2, do approach him, talk bout it, link the article here and most of all be helpfull.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Barghaest.3061

Barghaest.3061

On this note, I’d say being a smoker who doesn’t smoke indoors has probably saved me from a similar fate. I tend to spend most waking hours in front of the computer either playing games or watching movies/videos. The fact that I get up every 45-60 minutes to go outside for a 4-5 minute smoke break (during which I’m usually pacing along the porch rather than sitting) has actually been healthy. Heh. Ironic that smoking has been good for me.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

I agree with the OP. The article makes some good points that not a lot of people think about and yes I’ll concede that the "you have been playing for 24 hours please get a life " message is annoying its there for a reason . The in game clock may help a little but a reminder of how long you’ve been playing never hurts