Bringing some GW1 flavor to GW2

in Suggestions

Posted by: piitb.7635

piitb.7635

First I want to say I love GW2. Easily one of my favorite games of all time.

I also want to say, I love GW1. GW1 to me is one of the most revolutionary games to date. It was so revolutionary it was way ahead of its time. And honestly GW1’s design is a winning design for a dungeon crawler.

So Arenanet should do some justice to GW1’s legacy! So Arenanet should consider adding some things into GW2 that made GW1 so great.

First, capturing skills is can be completely viable in GW2. Obviously this won;t work for weapon skills. But this can work for utility and elite skills. Imagine having random mobs spawn that have capturable elite skills that can not only be class specific but usable by anyone.

Next, GW1’s map system. This was obviously one of the biggest changes from GW1 to GW2. But GW1’s map system can be implemented in certain instances, without harming GW2’s persistent world. My idea is make “explorable zones” These zones are the most desolate places in Tyria away from the main zones. Like for example, having a set of GW1 type maps in Maguuna Wastes. And players can go and explore and if they leave the map resets.

And last, GW1’s end game zones, like underworld and sorrow’s furance, need to make a come back. They can be considered hard mode zones. They act like regular GW2 zones, but all mobs are of veteran difficulty and higher so it takes a group to do these zones. And these end game zones have a higher drop rate of magic items, crafting materials and unique items.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

Skill capturing NO thx. it may fit gw1 style but not gw2, for simple reason it was a prohibitive system, it made my life hell until I could get specific skills that made it so much easier to do a certain task.
gw2 map system is infinitely better than gw1 so NO thax, gw2 map system is ions ahead of anything gw1 ever had.

I do agree with a comeback of zones like underworld, sorrow’s furnace and domain of anguish.

in Suggestions

Posted by: chronus.1326

chronus.1326

Skill capturing NO thx. it may fit gw1 style but not gw2, for simple reason it was a prohibitive system, it made my life hell until I could get specific skills that made it so much easier to do a certain task.

It did increase the longevity of the game, along with the profession-specific armors. You couldn’t simply “max out” a character that easily. A feeling of progression was always there, and the Elite Skill Tomes fixed the unavailability issue later.

In Guild Wars 2 you get to have literally all your skills long before you hit 80, and even after that, you still end up with over 150 skill points by the time you hit 80.

The old skill system was infinitely superior in terms of functionality because (along with other things) it substituted level progression after lvl20. You never felt like that you had a 100% complete character.

in Suggestions

Posted by: RaGe.9834

RaGe.9834

It did increase the longevity of the game, along with the profession-specific armors. You couldn’t simply “max out” a character that easily. A feeling of progression was always there, and the Elite Skill Tomes fixed the unavailability issue later.

In Guild Wars 2 you get to have literally all your skills long before you hit 80, and even after that, you still end up with over 150 skill points by the time you hit 80.

The old skill system was infinitely superior in terms of functionality because (along with other things) it substituted level progression after lvl20. You never felt like that you had a 100% complete character.

Much agreed I think the biggest issue I’ve had with moving over to gw2 was the level progression I’m not gonna lie I hate high level caps, they force you to not spend money for most of the game and then drag hours out of you just trying to max gear, i personally agreed and loved the gw1 philosophy of low level cap, cheap max armor and then grinding for appearance the more of a bamf you were the more you looked like a bamf.

Attachments:

What are you a jock?…. get out, This is nerd landia, where nerds gather!

in Suggestions

chronus.1326

Much agreed I think the biggest issue I’ve had with moving over to gw2 was the level progression I’m not gonna lie I hate high level caps, they force you to not spend money for most of the game and then drag hours out of you just trying to max gear, i personally agreed and loved the gw1 philosophy of low level cap, cheap max armor and then grinding for appearance the more of a bamf you were the more you looked like a bamf.

That was my main idea too when I heard that the game will have 80 levels. Especially after that for a while – if I recall – the idea was “no levels at all”.

Guild Wars was revolutionary with the double-profession system, the max 8 skill slots build game, the 20 levels where the game practically started at 20, the single player story told in cooperative missions, the maximum armor and weapon value, the untradeable and only-craftable soulbound armor (Which makes sense because it was crafted with your body proportions. Duh!), the small and understandable numbers (500 hp? kittenage?) and later the hero system which basically destroyed the only bad thing about the Holy Trinity.

So what do we have here out of that? Generic “Look mommy I just dealt 1,000,000,000 damage!” numbers, uncertain and unprofessional skill descriptions, tradable armor for everyone, fix skill bars, and a heavily lucky-drop based income, resulting in general poverty from repairing and waypoint costs while rich people are already running around with legendaries thanks to the gem shop (effectively transforming the item into a negative status symbol), and so on and on.

I don’t know how to phrase this in a non-offensive manner… because the entire thing feels offensive to me…. It’s like the franchise was sacrificed to revolutionize a genre that should have been executed, not revolutionized, because it was always the coffee/cigarette/drug of gaming, designed to addict and rip off people, not entertain them. And Guild Wars was an awesome game, a very elaborate game, a game full of love, and they just reused the fame of it for this thing.

Sure some parts of the game is done well, I think the story is up to GW quality and some of the funny dialogues too and the concept arts too. But those are just the artistic parts, the art and the writing. It’s two different parts of the team. How the game actually plays… I am not satisfied in the least.

They should go back to the roots and realize that they did a lot of things right in the first game, and just because they failed at making a “PvP only game” and the game just kind ended up being good, that doesn’t mean that they cannot take credit for it and build on the things that they did right. It should be part of their “vision” if they ever had any at all, because that’s where it all started. It started with Guild Wars.

So that’s it.

Right now it feels a little bit like the transition between Fallout II and Fallout 3. It took the devs a failed game to realize what was wrong and make New Vegas feel like Fallout again. But here we cannot have that luxury because it’s an mmorpg.

(edited by chronus.1326)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rokar.3175

Rokar.3175

So that’s it.

Right now it feels a little bit like the transition between Fallout II and Fallout 3. It took the devs a failed game to realize what was wrong and make New Vegas feel like Fallout again. But here we cannot have that luxury because it’s an mmorpg.

So then that is what they can do is take what it is now and continue to redesign the game… Anet always says it is a ever changing world? Well show your Fans, Your Cult, your followers, What was guild wars is really now guild wars 2 not some mocked up form of wow or swtor with a different twist. But a truely magnificent piece or art if you will. With side quest and skill caps. With real boss fights not an "I just killed a queen spider never died and now i was owned instantly by a graveling that does a knock down 4 times and i can not do anything to counter.

Please make Guild Wars 2 Way more like Guild Wars 1 if you expect it to survive at all. At this rate i dont think it will last even longer then SWTOR “A complete WoW rip in all rights”. And that is just sad!

Anet if you cant listen to the people and change what needs to change your game will not survive.

Ranger Maulgor

PS I Truely love this game in all aspects but i like gw1 way better cause it was different.

Ranger Maulgor
Level 80 100 precenter
Oldschoolgw [OSGW]

in Suggestions

chronus.1326

With real boss fights not an "I just killed a queen spider never died and now i was owned instantly by a graveling that does a knock down 4 times and i can not do anything to counter.

Ah, oh yes. I know that one. Ascalon Catacombs. I think that’s just unbalance. It just needs some finetuning. But yes the dungeons don’t appear to be fully finished on paper at all. I just hope that they will take the sturdyness of the enemies back a little bit and replace it with smart mechanics, just better AI. I remember the AI was always under developement in Guild Wars. They were updating it and everything.

I hope the current system is just a placeholder until we get there that something meaningful can happen inside those dungeons and it can acually feel like a teamwork job, not just just an effect orgy spiced with unavoidable respawns.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Grimm.8236

Grimm.8236

gw2 map system is infinitely better than gw1 so NO thax, gw2 map system is ions ahead of anything gw1 ever had.

I do agree with a comeback of zones like underworld, sorrow’s furnace and domain of anguish.

Except for the fact that missions were actually fun to do, and the quests were equally as fun.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Darknass.1903

Darknass.1903

Honestly baseline exotics(max armor) are cheap, there is grinding for better looking armor and especially weapons. Idk if you’ve heard but there are these things called legendary weapons, I hear their kind of a big deal.

HoD – Ranger, Ele, Guard, Engie.

“The best defense is a strong offense.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sigmatics.7056

Sigmatics.7056

If they bring back end game zones like the Underworld, they should consider making some for the other gods as well! Like Lyssa’s, Dwayna’s or Melandru’s Realm, that would be really awesome. So far we’ve only seen Balthazar’s and Grenth’s realms. (and Abaddon, but he’ s not a god anymore). This could of course go along with an expansion where we get more information why the gods have taken a step back etc

in Suggestions

Posted by: RaGe.9834

RaGe.9834

Honestly baseline exotics(max armor) are cheap, there is grinding for better looking armor and especially weapons. Idk if you’ve heard but there are these things called legendary weapons, I hear their kind of a big deal.

ur quite right, on the large scale, exotics ARE realtively cheap compared to other games, i mean like honestly it only takes 30-ish hours to get it! gw 1 was like maybe 2-5 hours and then expensive armor was like 1 week to 3 months for casuals. so yes relatively fast, but not gw1 fast (part of which gw1 players [like myself] LOVED)

What are you a jock?…. get out, This is nerd landia, where nerds gather!