Call To Arms: City Defense

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gummy.4278

Gummy.4278

Based off the Scarlet Invasions….Call to arms will call people of the home cities back to their home to defend it.
Once a day at any time during the day have a major push against one of the major cities using whatever opposing force as the attackers and lasting at least 2 hours depending on how well you all work together or in smaller groups. So for example if Black Citadel is under Siege from the Ascalon Ghost Army led by King Aldelbern they will attack all points and occupy territory in the map.

This is where Scarlet invasions and Call to Arms differ, as they attack and hold all the points on the map you have to make a successful push back to retake any point they have captured. The only way to end the conflict is to take back all points and HOLD them for a certain length of time, so you will not be trying to run from this point to the next(farming champions)(in fact no champions until the Finale event) you will need to spread everyone out in smaller groups and maintain all areas. Once all areas have been retaken a final event will start near the final area to push back the Leader in this case King Aldelbern which would be very much like a world boss event and once the event completes a chest will pop and very very very rare chance at a Ascended weapon Magdaer in ghost form….. Each city will have its own representative weapon that are ascended quality and a new token that will be given as part of your reward.

If the people helping with the event are not successful at holding points on the map the opposing force will start a final event to the city. This will be a Direct attack inside the city and will take a major effort to discharge. If this event fails the city will be taken over by the opposing force and will not be accessible though map travel or Asuran Gates or the new item mentioned under tokens.
If a major city has fallen a Rally Event will be available sometime later in the week, yes you will have to feel the repercussions of a loss before a retake can become a possibility. Imagine how much worse you would feel if say like Rata Sum was taken over by The Inquest during SAB. The Rally event will have many mini events that you can team up and take on which will all need to be done in order to start the final event. That will take the city back which everyone will again need to participate in to complete and champs will only spawn in the final event.

Tokens:
This new form of currency will be used to buy things for your home instance. Merchants….Crafting Stations….Bank….Trading Post….a personal Teleport Device to the home instance from anywhere in the game which will be tax free access….and A Display Case kinda like the way that Hall Of Monuments worked where there is places in the display case for items like the recent Zephyr Sanctum Model to put on display…..A Pve Closet for all your acquired skins.

Help me make the idea better, don’t just say it will never work tell me how to fix it so it will work.

in Suggestions

Gummy.4278

maybe once per week instead

in Suggestions

Posted by: Xythian.4167

Xythian.4167

I think this wouldn’t work is because the cities are too close to home. In fact they ARE home.
The reason why the scarlet events never happen in the 1-15 zones is because someone new to guild wars or someone starting a new character in a previously untried profession just wouldn’t be able to cope with this.
The cities are right next to the 1-15 zones and you have to go inside for the early PS and can you imagine a level one charr fighting Adelbern?
also what level would it be? the cities are all level zones and a level one charr would certainly not be able to fight a level 80 Adelbern

in Suggestions

Gummy.4278

I think this wouldn’t work is because the cities are too close to home. In fact they ARE home.
The reason why the scarlet events never happen in the 1-15 zones is because someone new to guild wars or someone starting a new character in a previously untried profession just wouldn’t be able to cope with this.
The cities are right next to the 1-15 zones and you have to go inside for the early PS and can you imagine a level one charr fighting Adelbern?
also what level would it be? the cities are all level zones and a level one charr would certainly not be able to fight a level 80 Adelbern

Thanks for your very constructive criticism. Yes I could see that as a problem with the design. The only thing is what do you think I should change to make it work?

in Suggestions

Posted by: hedix.1986

hedix.1986

More events in home cities would be very welcome. I understand there are issues for low lvl players, but it could be a weekly event or so. We should really get out of LA and get stuff to do in other cities.

[QQ] – ex RoS, current Piken Square
[DV] – megaboss community

in Suggestions

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Depends on the kind and quality of ‘siege’.

Hoelbrak’s terrain, entirely warrior populace and supply surplus as well as it’s connection to other cities would make for a battle that could break the back of any army in Tyria, for example.

Now, if you just pull the usual “POOF TELEPORTER HERE’S MY ARMY” trick, that’s cheating and wouldn’t make for a very fun siege in my opinion unless it involves Inquest re-wiring all the Asura gates in Rata Sum to link to their assault bases, forcing players to take airships to assist the beleaguered Peacemakers and their golems, etc.

I don’t think you should outright lose a city, but a big siege fight would be fun. Particularly if it happens for a long time and involves the Elder Dragons, whom we have seen very little of since Zhaitan flew too close to the fireworks display.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lablamb.2419

Lablamb.2419

I would say have a larger SPvP battleground map that can be any of the race cities. This could include an attacker and defender. After the match ends they swap. Think of Stand of the Ancients from World of Warcraft.

in Suggestions

Gummy.4278

Depends on the kind and quality of ‘siege’.

Hoelbrak’s terrain, entirely warrior populace and supply surplus as well as it’s connection to other cities would make for a battle that could break the back of any army in Tyria, for example.

Now, if you just pull the usual “POOF TELEPORTER HERE’S MY ARMY” trick, that’s cheating and wouldn’t make for a very fun siege in my opinion unless it involves Inquest re-wiring all the Asura gates in Rata Sum to link to their assault bases, forcing players to take airships to assist the beleaguered Peacemakers and their golems, etc.

I don’t think you should outright lose a city, but a big siege fight would be fun. Particularly if it happens for a long time and involves the Elder Dragons, whom we have seen very little of since Zhaitan flew too close to the fireworks display.

the reasoning behind the loss of the city is to have some kind of flow with Living Story and the promise of the events in the world around you having real implications to how it effects affect you. Having access loss to a major city will make people want to do the Rally event more quickly….maybe in that sense it could spawn a whole cluster of events in the region that must be done before the Rally event could start. But I feel that 2 days 48 hours will make everyone feel the need ….the need to make em bleed!

I don’t know maybe this is to epic….I mean it seems to overshadow WvW a bit. What do you think?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Have No Faith In Me.1840

Have No Faith In Me.1840

Epic idea. I’ve been hoping for stuff like this, especially since the whole ‘outcome of dynamic events will change the world you play in’ has only touched on this in a small scale way, like bandits taking over a ranch.

Even the living story says the game will change. But it isn’t. It’s just adding some random unexplained content that then disappears, without changing anything.

They would have to update the Ai to put pressure on the players instead of Ai combat being so durpy (running past the player when engaging, dropping melee blind fields when being attacked from range) and predictable (big wind up swing or early notice red circles)

I agree with not having enemy forces randomly appear. But if they were to run in from the zone portals, hammer/staff guards could just block them off entirely, so not sure how they can overcome that. Perhaps climb over the walls? Those blocking skills are great strategically (pvp/wvw), but against the Ai they are overpowered.

Of course these town invasions would have to feature many random variable events and attack patterns that never follows a formula, or it would get stale and predictable.

Sure, people wouldn’t be able to access story missions inside, say, the black citadel. But if you lost, the charr would retreat and set up camp outside in a zone or another city, which can be spoken too there (perhaps with slightly different dialogue?)

There is a lot of awesome things these devs have the skills to pull off, they just need to have the courage to go for it. There’s very little consequence in terms of story, dungeons, exploring, events. They’re bringing in consequence with the new tequatl, and it is a great start and can be applied in an infinite amount of ways to the rest of the game.

This kind of stuff can only really be achieved by expansions…. I don’t see it being pulled off by bi weekly updates.

(edited by Have No Faith In Me.1840)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aiglos.2907

Aiglos.2907

I really like the concept! I think it seems really cool, but yeah I guess you’d need to think about how newbies would cope with it. It could also cause quite a bit of disruption to players if not advertised in advance.

I suppose you could get around it with your ‘mentor’ sending you a message a few days in advance suggesting that mobs appear to be massing on the border. There may be an imminent attack on ‘x city’.

“Be there at 7pm sharp. Bring popcorn. Don’t be late now

Logan
xxx"

Something like that I guess?

Fear the might of Shatterstone!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Have No Faith In Me.1840

Have No Faith In Me.1840

^ Disruption can be avoided simply by moving important things (only story missions come to mind) to the location where the towns residents retreat to. If you can’t access it during an attack, well that makes sense, join in until the event is lost or won, or wait another time, it won’t kill you to not do the story mission asap.

Getting a message with a weeks warning wouldn’t have the same feel as a spontaneous or even one hour before type warning. It just couldn’t have things exclusive to that event or a lot of people would miss out. Perhaps server wide rewards for success if there were event exclusive rewards? No reward for failing of course.

Disruption can also be a good thing if it makes the player care about the actions they and others make, consequences for poor decisions be it solo or team should never result in a small win (scarlet invasions, I loved farming, but the rewards that come with failing are just silly).

It would truly make the world feel ‘living’ if it can be pulled off.

(edited by Have No Faith In Me.1840)

in Suggestions

Gummy.4278

I really like the concept! I think it seems really cool, but yeah I guess you’d need to think about how newbies would cope with it. It could also cause quite a bit of disruption to players if not advertised in advance.

I suppose you could get around it with your ‘mentor’ sending you a message a few days in advance suggesting that mobs appear to be massing on the border. There may be an imminent attack on ‘x city’.

“Be there at 7pm sharp. Bring popcorn. Don’t be late now

Logan
xxx"

Something like that I guess?

After turning this around in my head a bit, I thought of a idea for a solution to the lowbie area and and higher level mobs coming to take it over.
1. The moment the the event starts there is a 20 minute window where a Retreat to Lions Arch Event will spawn for all newbies to run as fast as the can back to the city and though the LA portal. There will be downed npcs that they can help up and get them to safety as well the more you help the better your reward when the retreat event complete. This way the Low Levels get something too.
2. Do what they have already been doing since day one LEVEL the NEWBIE to 80 so he can do the events too.

I think however disruption will make the game feel even more alive than advertising well in advance.

in Suggestions

Gummy.4278

Also add a Mini and another cosmetic mount aka like the broom for each town to the Token vendor that will no doubt need to be made for this idea.