Camera-Related Issues: Compilation and Lengthy Anaylsis

in Suggestions

Posted by: SnakeWaffles.4759

SnakeWaffles.4759

“Add an option to ‘lock’ the camera to the mouse (like it is when the RMB is held down) at all times and have a modifier key (like shift) bring up the free-moving cursor in-order to interact with the game world.”

If this is the only thing that is addressed, the game will have improved drastically. ANet, can we please have this as an option.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Katulobotomia.7863

Katulobotomia.7863

Oh my god the FOV and camera smoothing makes me sick if I play too long. I almost even considered uninstalling immediately when I saw the FOV and forced camera movement smoothing. No self respecting game should have neither one of those forced and un-changeable.

in Suggestions

Posted by: paultimate.8790

paultimate.8790

Their priorities are out of order imo. They are trying to start balancing classes while basic game input still isnt finished.

I have a feeling this is going to be another Conan/Warhammer becuse they arnt fixing very basic things that are the staples of genre. This needed to be done five weeks ago.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pyrocat.3984

Pyrocat.3984

Yes please, some control over FoV would do wonders.

in Suggestions

Posted by: pinto.2816

pinto.2816

higher fov would be really really nice.. atm i start getting sick after playing 30mins..
it removes half the enjoyment of the following hours :’(

in Suggestions

Posted by: HappyCerberus.3178

HappyCerberus.3178

Also the ability to change Z position of the camera (either configurable, or to a normalized height).

Switching between a Norn and an Asura is mind-bending. The perspective changes so much that my brain has trouble adjusting.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Azula.7012

Azula.7012

Just want to say thank you for detailing the issues with the Camera and FOV SeanPoez.

Hope to see some improvements in game soon.

in Suggestions

Posted by: importune.7120

importune.7120

I’m here to add another post begging for FoV slider! And/or zoom!

I’d really like to encourage any dev that reads through this thread to check out this reddit thread:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/104gq9/i_finally_figured_out_why_i_feel_claustrophobic/

Many many people want some camera fixes!

(edited by importune.7120)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Enzi.5496

Enzi.5496

Just do it ArenaNet!

I understand that the camera issues take a while longer. But adjusting the FoV should be a piece of cake for you.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Brynna Stormclaw.9621

Brynna Stormclaw.9621

I cannot stress how badly this needs changed. As it stands now, I can play for about 30 minutes before a massive headache sets in. If I push it too far, the nausea sets in.
I’ve tried everything I can think of to ease the strain. Manually changing my resolution. Turning off post processing (that helped slightly, but only a tiny bit).

I’m a long time pc gamer, never have I experienced something like this. I love this game, but I am getting physically sick trying to play it.

I know Arenanet has a lot on their plate currently, so I apologize for sounding whiney. I just want to be able to play this great game you all have made! I’ve been following posts like these since before release and I’m a little disappointed with the lack of any acknowledgement of this issue. Surely something can be done to help this? I don’t want to have to quit because a game makes me feel like death.

Eris Ataxiar [HLX] – Sea of Sorrows

in Suggestions

Posted by: pregnable.1954

pregnable.1954

Yes, make this happen!

Holding down the right mouse button is so BOTHERSOME!

It also causes me to open up whispers and click on stuff I did not want to, because the mouse gets off center and it registers a click when it things I let go of the right mouse button.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/ycq4p/wanted_option_to_toggle_mouselook_and_adjustable/

in Suggestions

Posted by: SeanPoez.8407

SeanPoez.8407

Made an addition to the original post:

• Make the left-click button select targets on release rather than key-press so when attempting to turn the camera random targets aren’t selected.

Currently the left-click mouse button will select a target upon key-press rather than key-release. This makes it so whenever the player attempts to turn the camera by left-clicking first, that they randomly select unwanted targets. This is especially problematic in WvW because there’s very little room on the screen in large battles to purposely avoid this problem (i,e,. by positioning the cursor away from all targets before left-clicking).

Solution: Make the left-click button only select a target upon release instead of key-depression.

(edited by SeanPoez.8407)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Atlas.3598

Atlas.3598

Reading this thread has made me aware of what is causing me that awkward/clunky feeling as I play. I would really appreciate it if ANet looked into all of these issues, even if they don’t agree with making every single change.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tik.2381

Tik.2381

I support this! Big time.

However my only point that I disagree with is the camera zooming out further. I think this will cause more problems then it would fix.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aryto.5873

Aryto.5873

I agree on the following points:

• Add FOV adjustment slider.
  • Add “height” axis slider similar to the “left-right” slider.
  • Fix/relax the camera collision, especially for low-lying objects like fences, small rocks, etc.

I’d like to add:

• Put the ability to go 1st person in!

I haven’t had much trouble with camera motion, although I am a camera spaz and I’m constantly swinging it wildly all over the place—I guess that makes me used to its motion. But I hate the collision currently, and I can’t stand not having 1st person as an option for taking screenshots!

·································•¤¨¨¨¤•·································
A R Y T O . S HA D E S T A L K E R
·································•¤……¤•·································

in Suggestions

Posted by: Borzen.8912

Borzen.8912

I agree with all of this. I would especially like a first-person option, so I could actually look around at this gorgeous world without my character blocking everything.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kydrin.2594

Kydrin.2594

Camera and targeting issues will be the main factors in this game not having longevity for me if they are not addressed. In PvP I feel like I’m fighting the camera more than the other players.

in Suggestions

Posted by: AmusingMoniker.3560

AmusingMoniker.3560

Thank you for the write up. The camera has been an issue for me and I agree with a majority of your post. The only suggestion I question is the ability to scroll out more. I don’t want to see any more ground behind my character than I already do, but this may be corrected if the FoV changes.

in Suggestions

Posted by: lynspottery.6529

lynspottery.6529

Talking about camera issues we also need to think about sizes and space. Camera issues cause more problems than the experience is actually worth, but second to that would be the size of spaces as well.

Yesterday I ran with a group of friends through a jumping puzzle located somewhere underneath and through the mountains of the Lion’s Arch area, which ended on a set of stone pillars to jump to the final one for the chest.

OMG is all I can say. The camera was the worst issue in the entire experience.

We had an Asura, a Human and a Norn attempting this. Needless to say, the Norn had no idea where he was going or what he was looking at except the inside of the rock over his head or inside the walls beside him. If it weren’t for our Asura partner, neither of us would have even made it through the complicated twists and turns underground. However, even at the end, the Human was the only one who actually was able to make the leap to the chest successfully.

The camera problem was like wearing a blindfold and having to follow verbal directions in order to navigate. Because the Asura was able to actually see where we were going and all the depths and widths of the track we went through, we would have been lost without him. I know that as a Human in that group, it was very difficult, if not almost impossible, to see a lot of the area I needed to see in order to navigate. My thanks to our Asura partner in that mess. However, the poor Narn could not see anything the entire time.

I think, even if we had had first person view, it would have been difficult because the spaces were just SOOOOO small that it appeared the devs did not even take into consideration the different sizes of all the characters that would want to complete these jumping puzzles.

Space needs to be considered when you have such differing sizes in characters. Some can navigate without issue because they are small, while others are so large they don’t fit inside the space that was designed for that particular set.

(edited by lynspottery.6529)

in Suggestions

SeanPoez.8407

I just made a post on Reddit to hopefully bring a little more attention to this issue. I think a lot of people dislike the camera but really haven’t been strongly motivated to say anything about it. If we truly want Arena Net to improve upon the current camera, we need to make it clear to them that it’s something that we strong desire and the only way we can do that is by telling them (on these forums). The more people that express their displeasure with the camera the more likely that it will be improved. Please comment in and up-vote the Reddit thread so more people can potentially see it and then come here to discuss the camera-issues and show their support.

Thank you.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Unfriendly.8927

Unfriendly.8927

/signed

15chars

in Suggestions

Posted by: rhodoc.2381

rhodoc.2381

Well those are everything that current camera needs. Thanks for adressing

[VcY] Velocity – Gargamell

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wicked.9261

Wicked.9261

Agreed, camera needs to be fixed(at least the acceleration part). I can feel the game better when I have 80+fps, but lower than that is horrible.

Razac Wickedbane

World Guardians [WvW] SFR Romanian Guild

in Suggestions

Posted by: Smelly Bookah.6957

Smelly Bookah.6957

“Change the angle and orientation of the camera so the player isn’t always looking down at the ground”

YES YES YES !!!

Thats what I hate about GW2. It’s been the same in GW1, but now we get so many awesome environments, yet we can’t really admire them properly cuz camera work is totally screwed up and for msot of the time you just look at the most boring thing ever: the ground.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ByronFortescue.7906

ByronFortescue.7906

Agreed, how can I enjoy the beautiful scenery in this game if the FOV is so narrow?! I can understand A-nets’ decision to increase the FOV in certain events like boss-fights, but there is a lot of margin/leeway/room to increase the default FOV while still increasing the FOV for boss-fights and giving that epic feeling.
The PVP argument fails since there are people playing using Eye-finity for instance with gigantic horizontal FOV’s.
Please a-net, respond on these issues which the community has concerning this since the first BWE.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Krag.6210

Krag.6210

• Make the left-click button select targets on release rather than key-press so when attempting to turn the camera random targets aren’t selected.

A million times this.
There is nothing worse than losing you target in the middle of a big fight because you wanted to adjust the camera or watch behind you.
It doesn’t help that the “clickboxes” of characters are freaking huge.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Phex.8423

Phex.8423

I stand behind this thread! The camera is the number one problem I have with Guild Wars 2, everything else I’m having a blast with but the way the camera works makes playing the game frustrating, sluggish and not fun.

Because of the way the camera works, I often target objects when I don’t mean to, accidentally attacking monsters and deselecting them at critical moments, wasting my skill cooldowns and ruining everything just because the camera decides to select something for no reason.

The camera often also stops moving when it’s dragged with right mouse. This is a massive issue for anyone who steers their character without the keyboard (A and D are used for strafing) and with GW2’s combat relying heavily on movement and kiting, it just creates a very unresponsive and poor combat experience. I have lost count of situations where I could have done much better or avoided getting downed if I hadn’t lost control of the camera while kiting.

I mean, sure, I can play the game without the camera ever being fixed. Is it fun though? No. It’s irritating and when I try to plan my combat around having to move my camera as little as possible, something is wrong.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tron.2189

Tron.2189

Yeah, camera feels really weird in GW2. It did in GW1 also, but it’s more visible in GW2 because of the combat.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Strontius.6478

Strontius.6478

I fully support this thread.I’ve been struggling with camera snap-back since the third Beta Weekend Event and have not been able to fix it. Every time I release the right mouse button (regardless of how the mouse is moved) the camera will snap around wildly. I’m a keyboard turner now because it’s the only way I can play without getting disoriented. Low FoV definitely doesn’t help the situation, either.

I really hope they do something about this soon.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ElemenZ.5486

ElemenZ.5486

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY !!!

I mean… shut up Anet and do what SeanPoez said !

I was just wondering if the camera lag is due to my low end hardware,
glad to hear it’s a real issue. Really annoying. Tbh, the wow camera behaviour rocks,
don’t know wtf Anet devs did to mess their own cam up so bad.

A sluggish lagging cam doesn’t add any gameplay value nor does it immerse the player into the world any more than a 100% responsive instant cam, it just annoys the hell out of anyone.

+1

in Suggestions

Posted by: RESISTOR.4587

RESISTOR.4587

Great post, I would love to see some changes to the current acceleration on the mouse movement as well as an FOV slider, in my opinion it would really make a much more comfortable gaming experience in GW2. Please consider this feedback ANet!

:)

in Suggestions

Posted by: kuroioni.3147

kuroioni.3147

Thank you so much for making this compilation!
I’ve been getting headaches, had my eyes tire very easily and over all had this nasty feeling while playing this game. There are 2 main reasons for this and both are mentioned in this thread: the FoV and camera turn acceleration (and it slowing down with lower FPS).

ANet please, PLEASE let us have a slider so that each player can decide on his/her FoV personally. As it is now, the game really does feel claustrophobic and is making me physically sick, we HAVE to have an option to control these things for ourselves.

All the points touched on in this compilation are current and really, really important. This game is so beautiful, I want to enjoy it, not feel sick and having to exit every once in a while. I don’t want to constantly look at the ground either. Also, having camera turn equally fast and be always responsive (regardless of FPS).

Having an option to use aiming style much like TERA (where you don’t have to have RMB pressed at all times, but use a key to release cursor so that you can interact with the game) would be really nice as well since combat in this game is so dynamic and based on movement.

Please listen to us and do change all those things.

Kind regards,

~kuroioni

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jason.2179

Jason.2179

The fact that I have to constantly hold right click to control my camera and character properly is incredibly annoying; I feel sorry for both my finger and my mouse.
At first it wasn’t that bad, but after having had to do this for years now, first in GW and now GW2, it’s really getting on my nerves.

The twitchy camera in cramped spaces is also incredibly annoying and I would love some improvements there as well.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wedes.4217

Wedes.4217

Arenanet please fix this!

Spread this thread and tell people to answer it. The larger it gets the more attention it will attract!

in Suggestions

Posted by: KingTaro.6125

KingTaro.6125

I agree with the OP.
Especially with the idea to lock the camera to your mouse by hitting a certain key.

I haven’t read all the posts, but would like to contribute a few extra options for the mouse. Sorry if this already has been mentioned.

Mouse controls:
Allow the user to configure the actions for the Left-Mouse button, Right-Mouse button and the Middle-Mouse button.
Example:
Right-Mouse: Skill 1 (Attack)
Left-Mouse: Skill 2 (Attack)
Middle-Mouse: Skill 6 (Heal)

These mouse configurations should activate once you’ve hidden the mouse after hitting CTRL or SHIFT, depending on which key you assigned to hide the mouse.
By pressing the CTRL/SHIFT again, the mouse should re-appear and the standard behavior of the mouse should be activated. Which means, Left-Mouse button is no longer “Skill 1”.

in Suggestions

Posted by: typoknight.7094

typoknight.7094

As a large norn, doing jumping puzzles with Guild Wars 2’s current camera system is occasionally a nightmare. It constantly collides with terrain, zooming the camera in so far that it’s useless. Please look at adjusting the camera, ANet.

in Suggestions

Posted by: jef.4319

jef.4319

i would love to be able to zoom out further. heck i would even love to be able to zoom into 1st person mode as well

in Suggestions

Posted by: Urou.2194

Urou.2194

To the OP: Thank you for summarizing every player’s gripe with the camera. You deserve to be appointed as MVP!
Now would someone please explain to me why we haven’t gotten an official response to this quite hot topic, while threads that offer a 3rd party solution to a blatant problem get instant replies from the staff: http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/9449/article/guild-wars-2-modded-with-mouselook-enabling-combat-mod-arenanet-disapproves/
Maybe A-net thinks everything is “working as intended”? Too bad no one likes the way it’s working at the moment.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Javelin.3451

Javelin.3451

Yes, PLEASE implement these changes. The only way I can play this game for more than a few minutes is to only use a much smaller resolution than my monitor is capable of (and no scaling, so I’m looking at a small window in the center of my screen). Even then, this only helps somewhat, I’ll still get nauseous after a while, and things like jumping puzzles I can only sometimes do. I’d love to be able to play the game as it was meant to be played, in all its visual glory… please make these changes as options.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fantom.9217

Fantom.9217

Currently, the camera is one of GW2’s weakest features, and unlike many other problems/bugs that need to be fixed, the camera is a persistent problem that exists for all players, at all times, from the moment they first log in until they log out. This persistent element alone makes fixing/altering the camera priority number-one for the majority of players. I personally feel that fixing the camera-related issues is the most important change Arena Net could possibly make at this time to ensure future success of this game. Making movement, and specifically the way the camera behaves, as natural as possible is the key to making the entire game feel right while making it an enjoyable experience for everyone.

No, I completely disagree. Please don’t talk as if you speak for me or “all players.”

The camera is perfectly fine except for maybe a few minor issues. I certainly am not bothered by it “at all times, from the moment I log in until I log out.”

And I absolutely don’t think that “fixing the camera-related issues is the most important change Arena Net could possibly make at this time to ensure future success of this game.”

Enough with the hyperbole, there are a TON of much bigger issues that need to be addressed before undergoing some kind of massive CAMERA rework.

in Suggestions

SeanPoez.8407

@Fantom (i would have quoted you but these forums are pretty buggy and that option is not available to me at this time)

Whether or not you notice the issues with the camera does not change the fact that these problems do exist for ALL players, at ALL times. My point was (which obviously went straight over your head) this isn’t a bug/problem that only occurs when you do one specific thing in the game, it’s there ALL the time because the camera is such a fundamental part of the game. It’s impossible to play the game without using the camera, so therefore, if the problems i described do exist (and they do) then they would be noticeable at any moment once a person logs into the game. No where did i say all players are bothered by it at all times, please stop quoting my out of context and go reread the full paragraph. Some people notice it, others don’t. Either way, the problem still exist. A lot of people simply don’t notice these problems, just like they don’t notice the fire under their feet when they die. However, for veteran players (i,e,. Hardcore, experienced, professional, whatever term you want to use) that are extremely familiar with game controls and camera systems, the problems i described are instantly recognizable within minutes of game-play.

Here, let me finish this out of context quote for you:
" I personally feel that fixing the camera-related issues is the most important change Arena Net could possibly make at this time to ensure future success of this game."
That is my OPINION. I was not speaking for anyone when i said this, just myself. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and this is mine.

None of my suggestions are difficult to implement (except the camera-lock system which is why it’s on the very bottom of the list). Also, please point out some other issues that are more persistent and aggravating than the ones i did. The only one that comes to mind is player culling in WvW and the tradepost being buggy and down for maintenance all the time. Game movement and feel are the most important and foundational aspects of any game. They should have been the first thing perfected during game development.

I don’t see why you feel the need to come into suggestion threads that you completely disagree with and contribute absolutely nothing meaningful and only be derogatory. You instantly dismiss what me and thousands of others are experiencing as being made up or imagined. Now, i probably do speak for everyone when i say this: I’m glad you aren’t experiencing any of these problems yourself, but some of us are, and we would like some improvements in time.

(edited by SeanPoez.8407)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pixels.6532

Pixels.6532

has a first-person PoV already been suggested somewhere in this war-n-peace thread? If not, add it.

I want to be able to get a good look at armor and weapons without my character smack-dab in the middle of my screen. And I’d like to be able to see my name, title, etc. in game…

Sanctum of Rall

in Suggestions

Posted by: falcon.6937

falcon.6937

Agree with the OP. This game is great in many ways, but the camera is pretty awful.

in Suggestions

Posted by: gwawer.9805

gwawer.9805

Have a menu option to adjust the keyboard Turn speed

What about having a slider that lets you adjust your keyboard turn speed. There are some players with shoulder injuries who really prefer to use keyboard turning over mouse turning even in PVP.

in Suggestions

Posted by: uwo.8197

uwo.8197

I’m so glad someone took the time to write about this. This game is incredible, but the camera control needs to be revamped. I find that situational awareness, particularly in PvP, is much harder as a result of the camera acceleration and momentum. Without the ability to quickly check my surroundings it can quickly become frustrating to play.

Still, I’ve only got love for ArenaNet.
Peace

in Suggestions

Posted by: SAI Peregrinus.8410

SAI Peregrinus.8410

I agree with the OP.
The main issue I have is with the camera zoom: It’s a dodge-based combat game, the bosses have “tells” in their animations to let you know when to dodge… and you can’t see them if you’re in close range or melee, because 80%+ of the boss’s model is above the camera.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jay.9407

Jay.9407

+1 here

Add an option to ‘lock’ the camera to the mouse (like it is when the RMB is held down) at all times and have a modifier key (like shift) bring up the free-moving cursor in-order to interact with the game world.

(edited by Jay.9407)

in Suggestions

Posted by: gwawer.9805

gwawer.9805

I have a lot of confidence in A net right now and their responsiveness to many other issues makes me believe that they will respond eventually to this but only in their best judgment not too soon because they don’t want to go back and forth on their decisions.

But I have to say I really hope they do change the camera rather than ignore it because the current setup does feel very clunky

in Suggestions

Jay.9407

The GMs really need to see this so I am posting this again here because it agrees with the forum.

in Suggestions

Jay.9407

We need this forum to stay at the top so the GMs can see it. keep bumping it people!!