Camera and FOV (field of view) - Civil Discussion

in Suggestions

Posted by: Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Something I only just noticed in JonPeters’s second post

(I play source engine and quake engine games at about 105 or 110)

He uses the FOV setting in some games, but won’t let us use it in GW2.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ref.8196

ref.8196

Something I only just noticed in JonPeters’s second post

(I play source engine and quake engine games at about 105 or 110)

He uses the FOV setting in some games, but won’t let us use it in GW2.

Well, it’s more likely that Jon agrees with us…but maybe it’s not the intentions of all the devs.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ulukaiulukai.2584

ulukaiulukai.2584

So the FOV is going to stay and the smoothing is being looked into, but what about the other issues?

The camera needs to be moved awkwardly close to the ground just to look at things in front of you. However, then your character is in the way. Looking up is almost impossible.

We are missing so much of the beautiful art in this game because we are always looking at the ground and not into the distance.

The camera points/looks at the character’s chest while it should point/look well above the head.

http://i.imgur.com/92Gms.jpg vs. http://i.imgur.com/i7VYq.jpg

(edited by ulukaiulukai.2584)

in Suggestions

Posted by: GADefence.5634

GADefence.5634

I think it’s because of how nice the mamaries are for most of the races.

Personal thought.

in Suggestions

Posted by: bwillb.2165

bwillb.2165

Personal thought.

But… but.. I play a male Asura

in Suggestions

Posted by: ref.8196

ref.8196

Personal thought.

mamaries?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Skyrant Kangaroomouse.7458

Skyrant Kangaroomouse.7458

I find it very strange that a professional game designer that knows about the technical reasons for adjusting the FOV on PC to 90-95 could just ignore these facts and bring forth preposterous arguments to defend this position.

I find it even stranger that these arguments are void because the game supports 3 Monitors. This essentially makes all your arguments invalid and quite honestly look like you think we are stupid. I find that very insulting.

Sincerely | Skyrant Kangaroomouse

“The DR System is not restricting players, it just here to help them realize how they want to play!”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Unpredictability.4086

Unpredictability.4086

I just want to say that I have had no problems with the FoV since the game has launched, even when I started playing it on my 4:3 monitor. Recently I upgraded to a 16:10 monitor, so of course I noticed a change, but I still didn’t think much of it.

I’ve watched some videos with comparisons between default and modified FoVs and honestly, every time I see the increased ones they look horrible. All I see is distortion and fisheye, like things should be not be moving like that. That and everything feels very tiny and not right.

However, I decided to experiment myself in window mode with a very wide resolution (1904×768) to see what it would look like anyways. OMG, this is so much better. I am totally on the FoV train now. I can completely see a difference, and there’s no fisheye/distortion going on either (or I woudln’t be using it). This is what has been missing in GW2 all along! The game looks a lot more “free” and “deconjested”.

I asked a couple days ago what the FoV of GW1 was, but nobody replied, so I never found out, but it’s very similar to window mode with a very wide window. There’s a greater sense of space and as a result it makes it easier to isolate things, even in large battles. I think this might have been affecting me all along and I never knew it, because I never had any physical symptoms.

This whole issue really reminds me of the loudness wars too if you know abou that. Overly loud music also squishes everything, taking away space and making things upfront.

(edited by Unpredictability.4086)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Naminator.9316

Naminator.9316

Well i just hopped over to the widescreen gaming site and saw this.

http://www.wsgf.org/news/ncsoft-updates-nvidia-surround-support-guild-wars-2

Ok this is just an insult to the players at this point.

ANET says that the increased FoV is some game breaking and unbalancing thing, yet they continue to actively work and enhance their triple monitor support. You know, those people that have the HIGHEST FoV that anyone could ever get! AKA: Those cheaters and game breakers! (according to ANET of course)

in Suggestions

bwillb.2165

Well i just hopped over to the widescreen gaming site and saw this.

http://www.wsgf.org/news/ncsoft-updates-nvidia-surround-support-guild-wars-2

Ok this is just an insult to the players at this point.

ANET says that the increased FoV is some game breaking and unbalancing thing, yet they continue to actively work and enhance their triple monitor support. You know, those people that have the HIGHEST FoV that anyone could ever get! AKA: Those cheaters and game breakers! (according to ANET of course)

Well obviously it’s only gamebreaking and unbalancing if you didn’t pay someone who is partnered with ArenaNet to do so. After the ridiculous excuses Jon Peters came up with, I actually wouldn’t be surprised if the whole reason they won’t add an FoV slider is to sell more eyefinity setups. A couple days ago I would have said someone was crazy if they had suggested that, but now? Now I’m not so sure.

(edited by bwillb.2165)

in Suggestions

I just want to say that I have had no problems with the FoV since the game has launched, even when I started playing it on my 4:3 monitor. Recently I upgraded to a 16:10 monitor, so of course I noticed a change, but I still didn’t think much of it.

I’ve watched some videos with comparisons between default and modified FoVs and honestly, every time I see the increased ones they look horrible. All I see is distortion and fisheye, like things should be not be moving like that. That and everything feels very tiny and not right.

However, I decided to experiment myself in window mode with a very wide resolution (1904×768) to see what it would look like anyways. OMG, this is so much better. I am totally on the FoV train now. I can completely see a difference, and there’s no fisheye/distortion going on either (or I woudln’t be using it). This is what has been missing in GW2 all along! The game looks a lot more “free” and “deconjested”.

This is a common mistake, if you watch a Video on youtube it does look distorted because the peripheral vision is different to the person that played/recorded that game sitting at a certain distance from a monitor with a monitor size that is most likely also different from your monitors size.

In short, videos do not work showing the effect. You need to actually set the game to fit your Monitor, distance from screen and resolution to see it.

The distortion and fish-eye part is still there but it is in your peripheral vision. This is the same as in real life, things beyond 60 degrees are distorted and not sharp, you only glimpse them out the corner of your eye.

“The DR System is not restricting players, it just here to help them realize how they want to play!”

in Suggestions

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

It’s just occurred to me that there is a really lazy solution to FOV complaints: ANET just needs to publicly announce that 3rd party mods that do nothing but change the FOV are allowed, but mods that do anything else will still not be allowed. For example, a mod that changes FOV and lets you zoom out further would be unacceptable because it plays with camera zoom.

Maybe add a requirement that the mods source code must be publicly available, so that other players can check it for malware and/or other functions.

If one already exists, everyone with FOV problems would quickly grab it. If not, someone would quickly rip the extra functions out of an existing FOV mod. Either way, the problem is solved with a single announcement that takes a few minutes to write.

I’d prefer an FOV slider, or some other method implemented by ANET. Including command line arguments. But I’m not going to lie to anyone. I’ve fixed the FOV on other games before with 3rd party mods and, when the fix worked, it meant I was satisfied. Even with Borderlands 1, and the fix there involves binding your walk forwards key to also change your FOV because if you don’t keep pressing the change FOV key, Borderlands would reset the FOV to the console size.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Unpredictability.4086

Unpredictability.4086

The distortion and fish-eye part is still there but it is in your peripheral vision. This is the same as in real life, things beyond 60 degrees are distorted and not sharp, you only glimpse them out the corner of your eye.

No, that’s not what I mean. I’m talking about literally 0 distortion. Here’s a screenshot: http://imageshack.us/a/img202/9462/examplenq.jpg Notice how the edges (flowers in particular) do not show signs of any stretching, wether you look at them head on or in your peripheral vision.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kelthos Doombringer.9032

Kelthos Doombringer.9032

This does not affect me but it does affect my GF quite heavily – dizziness, nausea, motion sickness etc.

For A.net to essentially say “too bad, so sad, get over it” because they are worried about some art to people who become SICK when playing their game, is beyond appalling.

“gameplay suffers because positional awareness becomes less necessary in a game where combat is greatly designed around positioning.”

Ludicrous. Giganticus Lupicus. Do I need to say more? For the fight, the FoV expands obviously to compensate for the bosses size and the size of the arena. I play on a laptop, a pretty decent laptop, but on a 24" monitor. I suffer from no FPS drop. Your precious art stays the same.

Combat is designed around positioning is it? Please explain to us how this even makes sense or is even an argument.
1) You see red circle. You dodge out of red circle. How does this change if your FoV is larger, Jon Peters?
2) Players need to be aware of animations. We have to be able to SEE the players and the animations to avoid them. This is emphasized due to the fact that there is no cast bar.
Increasing FoV would let the players see more on the edge of their screen, forcing them be more AWARE of their peripherals. It would let players see MORE of your precious art.
That is the only change that would happen. People with 3 monitors already get this advantage. So you cater to people with 3 monitors, but you won’t fix a tiny issue that is making your customers SICK.

People are finding ways – Which YOU should do for them, A.net – to increase the FoV just to play the game and not throw up. You already give a larger FoV to people with three monitors. So your ENTIRE argument is invalid. How is it fair that people who spend an extra $400 – which isn’t necessary – get to enjoy a feature over people who get sick WITHOUT it just because they don’t go out and spend more money.

Ludicrous.

Level 80 Human Necromancer

in Suggestions

Posted by: GarySeven.1086

GarySeven.1086

Having just read the locked response from Jon Peters I am extremely disappointed and will most likely stop playing GW2 unless Anet’s position on the issue changes.

Frankly, the response confims my fears. The lack of an official response throughout the BWE’s and release had me worried that there are limitations in the GW2 engine preventing an FOV fix. While I can’t prove it, the official response just doesn’t make any sense and leads me to believe that FOV simply can’t be fixed.

The idea that increasing FOV would negatively impact positional awareness is exactly the opposite of what my experience has been. I’m having trouble with positional awareness because the FOV is too small. I can not take in everything going on in group and event settings.

Maybe zooming the camera out further would help. But there is no relief in sight on that horizon, either. The camera zoom is way too tight on my character and the world in general. The idea that increasing FOV or camera zoom would affect the artwork is ridiculous. The whole world of GW2 would be far more enjoyable if I could see more of it.

I’ve spent money on gems and planned on buying more. There’s no way I’ll spend another dime until this is addressed. All due to an issue that has been a staple feature in games for a long time, and shouldn’t be a debate at all. Anet’s call, I guess. Wow.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rhyse.8179

Rhyse.8179

IIRC, it uses the Unreal 3 engine, which has FOV adjustment already built in. Also, a certain 3rd party utility changes the FOV just fine, so it’s certainly not a software limitation.

Why the refuse to adopt an industry standard I don’t know. Something about art-yada-yada. I can only assume they havn’t looked at the screenshots, videos etc that shows how much the vertical FOV suffers on wide screen monitors, and how the art suffers in turn because you can’t see all of it at once. There was a good one comparing the lion statue in Lion’s Arch somewhere in another thread. On a widescreen resolution, you could only see half the statue at once.

“I care nothing for a festering industry that wantonly refuses to
provide a service that I’m willing to purchase.” – Fortuna.7259

in Suggestions

Posted by: raxx.8914

raxx.8914

They don’t care that you can run it, they care about losing their min spec people. Why FOV can’t be a slider I don’t know.

Post based on working with companies that care about altering software based around min spec users.

They can do it, there’s a mod that lets you change your fov on the fly, it doesn’t affect frame rate much and it makes the game look so good, you can actually see things and no friggin eye strain or bad feelings. The mod was broken in todays patch, i played for awhile and now i feel like crap.

Did the dev really say HL2 uses 75 fov as an excuse? There were so many people having issues with that game due to 75 fov it’s not even funny. The game allowed you to change fov tho, like all good games. 75 fov is for consoles, 90 for pc, these devs….

in Suggestions

Posted by: Truga.5897

Truga.5897

So, still nothing new on this since the “because this is art” post?

in Suggestions

Posted by: thealienamongus.1968

thealienamongus.1968

in Suggestions

Posted by: Brynna Stormclaw.9621

Brynna Stormclaw.9621

Did the dev really say HL2 uses 75 fov as an excuse? There were so many people having issues with that game due to 75 fov it’s not even funny. The game allowed you to change fov tho, like all good games. 75 fov is for consoles, 90 for pc, these devs….

“FOV in GW2 is 75, which is the same as the default in Half Life and WoW. While I understand people’s desires [snip]

For a lot of us this is not simply a “desire”. We need a higher FoV because we are getting freaking sick so ART can “maintain it’s integrity”. I’m sorry if this comes off as rude but frankly, I’m sick of being told to deal with it. I paid the same amount of money as everyone else did, and I deserve to play this kitten game just like they do. Also, why is it that if I suddenly came across a bunch of money for 2 more monitors.. all of these problems would disappear because you get a higher FoV with eyefinity? I dropped over $2,000 on a new rig just for Guild Wars 2. I’m not made of money, ya know.

Would Anet like to donate 2 more monitors to me so I can play longer than 30 minutes without getting dizzy or nauseous? Talk about suffering for art’s sake. Why can’t you just introduce a slider and let those affected by low FoV determine if they mind taking a hit on some art quality vs. actually being able to play the game we paid for?

I am honestly ready to just get my money back.

Eris Ataxiar [HLX] – Sea of Sorrows

in Suggestions

Posted by: Soki.3027

Soki.3027

Oh, wow.
I particularly like how he neglects to mention the option to increase FoV/Camera Distance in those games.

I’m personally more concerned by the excuses (Flat-out LIES) told to the community on this subject.
I see ANet smoothed the camera swivelling out (Huge improvement) – and perhaps, with their footnote on the update, they intend to add a FoV slider.

Even so, by trying to pander damage control to less-informed-on-the-subject players, they’ve damaged my opinion of them.
Hopefully they adjust the way they deal with things like this in the future.

(edited by Soki.3027)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Naminator.9316

Naminator.9316

Well how about we get the option to increase FoV just like in WoW and HL2 then?

Ohhh wait a second, that is just another FAILED excuse.

Honestly this infuriates me the most. They don’t want to increase FoV for no good reason!

Their excuses are so easy to dismiss that you’d think a mindless fanboy wrote them in head of passion trying to defend ANET unreasonable response to this situation.

This whole situation reminds me of DICE and their Bad Company 2 game.

For the longest time DICE refused to allow the m14 and the G3 weapons to have any sort of optic attachments, they have pulled every trick in the book just like ANET is doing right now, they said it would cause untold imbalance, they said they couldn’t do it and they were so kittening STUBBORN about that JUST LIKE ANET.

You know what happened later? People who were hosting dedicated servers found a way to include the optic attachments to the M14 and the G3, and after that most servers started using the third-party fix to include it. After that DICE decided that there is no point on being stubborn and just flat out STUPID on this issue that they have no legitimate reason for, so they went ahead and patched the game so it now everyone can officially use the attachments on those weapons.

This whole situation with the FoV reminds me of this exact same thing!

The developers slamming their foot on the ground and saying NO! We already decided! And it does not matter how inconsistent or illogical our reasons are we wont have any of it! We have spoken and therefor we will not back down from our position based on the principle that we are infallible game developers and we cant be seen as though we were wrong or made a mistake.

Thats ALL Im getting from ANET irresponsible and irrational position on this issue.

in Suggestions

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

I see ANet smoothed the camera swivelling out (Huge improvement) – and perhaps, with their footnote on the update, they intend to add a FoV slider.

I haven’t noticed any difference.

Even so, by trying to pander damage control to less-informed-on-the-subject players, they’ve damaged my opinion of them.
Hopefully they adjust the way they deal with things like this in the future.

I think that the less informed people include decision makers at ANET. If they knew they were lying to us, they should have also realized that we would see through their lies and call them out on it. Especially when the lies are not new lies, but lies we have heard from other developers.

So it looks like that the people who wanted that statement made don’t understand the FOV issue and didn’t do any research on it. If they had done the research, they would have at least known which lies haven’t worked before.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Smelly Bookah.6957

Smelly Bookah.6957

Please enanble smooth camera work as an option for those who like it! (like me)

in Suggestions

No, that’s not what I mean. I’m talking about literally 0 distortion. Here’s a screenshot: http://imageshack.us/a/img202/9462/examplenq.jpg Notice how the edges (flowers in particular) do not show signs of any stretching, wether you look at them head on or in your peripheral vision.

I agree, that is a very slight increase and my guess is that this is 90 FOV.

Yes, there is a slight fish-eye but it’s very subtle. By nature, increasing the FOV gives fish-eye not matter how subtle, but as i said it is part of how our eyes and visual cortex processes data so even going to a FOV of 100-110 is fine as long as you look at the center of the screen.

Anyone in the gaming industry should be aware of the fact that PC gaming does need FOV adjustment due to the differences in Monitor sizes, aspect ratio and distance to the monitor.

There is no BEST FOV for the PC, it needs to be adjustable between 60 -100.

What i do take as personal insult is the way ANET are out right lying and making up excuses. We have seen this in Darkness II before, where the developers said it will break the art and even that it will break the game. Well, Darkness II fixed the issues after all.

in Suggestions

Posted by: asvir.3758

asvir.3758

They should be allowing the user to decide within the limits of reason so it doesn’t cause any serious problems, E.g. allow a FOV setting between 60 and 90. My graphics card is never used more than 50% at 30FPS (capped), but most of the time the usage is around 33% and I have an Nvidia GTX480 graphics card which was extremely powerful about 2 years ago. Even though it is still a respectable graphics card even today there is a lot better available like the Nvidia GTX680 or even better the GTX690 (dual GPU) card. In other words any respectable graphics card will cope with some performance loss and it won’t be a problem if you have a low end card as you’ll still have the option not to set it too high if you don’t want to, but I strongly suspect the performance loss won’t be that great anyway. Even if some work is required to achieve this they should be listening to what people want, the more customisation and options are available, the happier more players will be with the whole game-play experience.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kimi.6402

Kimi.6402

No more excuses please, just give us a fov slider! It’s absolutely necessary.

in Suggestions

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

They should be allowing the user to decide within the limits of reason so it doesn’t cause any serious problems, E.g. allow a FOV setting between 60 and 90.

Going up to 180 seems reasonable for people with multiple monitor setups.

Why limit it to what you think are reasonable values ?
People with unusual setups would then lose out because they can’t use the value that is best for them. I say limit it to possible values, let the player decide what’s acceptable. This means that if the client is capable of rendering a specific FOV, then we should be allowed to set it. Even stupid values like an FOV of 1 or 720 degrees.

This means that a slider isn’t an option. Instead we would have a box that we type the desired FOV number into.

in Suggestions

bwillb.2165

Here’s how you do proper FoV and camera positioning. This game is from 2002, kept up to date by fan mods 10 years later. Look at how the player fits into the camera. Look at the vertical FoV and compare it to what we have in Guild Wars 2. Look how much better I can see the beautiful landscape and cities. This game has a first person option. This third person option is the only zoom level available, but it’s still a much better view than what GW2 offers me. Notice that there is no fisheye, no texture stretching. The graphics mod I’m using has a horizontal FoV option, and mine is currently set at about 85. The third person camera could probably stand to sit slightly higher, but its still far better than the positioning in GW2.
Anyway, here’s the screenshot:
http://i.imgur.com/P12sW.jpg
Get my camera viewpoint to look like that, with precise control. I don’t care how you do it. Get it like that, and you’ll never hear another peep out of me.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shard.4791

Shard.4791

A redditor calculated the horizontal FOV to actually be approximately 65 degrees. Here is the thread http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/118t3a/fov_is_anets_math_bugged/

I am getting headaches almost every day. No other game has ever done this to me. Dear Jon Peters, you might be wrong this time.

Mm. I like turtles.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shayde.2564

Shayde.2564

Having tried 90-100 degrees via windowed mode, the difference is staggering. Even though this does nothing for vertical FoV, as it doesn’t increase. There’s simply no reason to play with the default FOV of 75/65, it’s game-breaking. The amount of bad player positioning in WvW and PvE is directly attributed to the default horse blinder tunnel vision. In 2012 there’s simply no excuse for what’s essentially a split screen console FoV. Like others have said, the game is simply unplayable at default, after playing with a real view. Even simple tasks like running around Lion’s Arch become significantly less annoying when you can actually see where you’re going. I’m very surprised anyone thought this was an acceptable default FoV for a AAA title.

(edited by Shayde.2564)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hammerholm.7218

Hammerholm.7218

@Shayde: The FOV ingame is at 65, it’s been calculated and re-calculated numerous of times, it’s a shame that a game released in 2012 have such a low FOV, without the ability to choose your FOV. It’s just stupid.

in Suggestions

Posted by: pulsecodesgnl.3470

pulsecodesgnl.3470

I think the majority of the arguments are related to horizontal FoV, the funny thing about that reddit post that not only shows how the game is not 75 for horizontal, but the atrocious FoV associated with the vertical FoV. The fact that a wider screen ratio DECREASES the vertical FoV is highly irritating, this becomes extremely noticeable if you try and just take in the scenery, or look up and down in a 16:9/16:10 monitor resolution.

I don’t get sick or nauseous playing this game, but I definitely feel like I am missing out on the art and ambiance of the world because of the FoV. I used to run around in WoW or LotRo and just do whatever, enjoying the scenery. I cannot get over how much I enjoyed farming in LotRo despite how boring the actual act was because I could spend the time looking around at the world.

GW2 is graphically impressive in a LOT of ways, especially for an MMO. But there are some rather large kinks (FXAA being one), and FoV tops that list. I just feel so limited in what I can see as I run around the world, and it feels detrimental to the time spent into making the game look good.

edit: I am finding largely that my complaints with this game, are significantly due to a lack of immersion possibilities, and stuff like FoV just compounds the issue.

Voxtr | Svell | Kvikr | Svass | Sundr | Naud | Kvedja | Traust
Sorrow’s Furnace – Commander/Officer
Kabal of the Righteous [Seed]

in Suggestions

Posted by: WeLoveKanjimari.6725

WeLoveKanjimari.6725

I can’t see anything and ArenaNet not only doesn’t care, they don’t care that they don’t care, because they care more about making sure people who can barely run the game are having a fun time than EVERYONE ELSE being able to see what’s happening around them.

in Suggestions

Posted by: sleeplessone.8164

sleeplessone.8164

People with 3 monitors already get this advantage. So you cater to people with 3 monitors, but you won’t fix a tiny issue that is making your customers SICK.

What boggles me about this is that it appears that ArenaNet would rather me not give them around $20 per month in Gems and instead give that money to nVidia and Acer to buy additional monitors and another video card to drive them.

in Suggestions

bwillb.2165

People with 3 monitors already get this advantage. So you cater to people with 3 monitors, but you won’t fix a tiny issue that is making your customers SICK.

What boggles me about this is that it appears that ArenaNet would rather me not give them around $20 per month in Gems and instead give that money to nVidia and Acer to buy additional monitors and another video card to drive them.

To be honest, there’s a good chance they get money from nvidia to support the eyefinity option. Same with the stereoscopic 3d.

in Suggestions

Posted by: chunkychu.3091

chunkychu.3091

What the dev said doesn’t make any sense. The art and the environments in this game are beautiful, why restrict what you can see with a narrow fov? Right now the game is like watching a movie while looking through a paper towel roll. Even when using window mode to change the fov, there is minimal performance loss and the game is much easier on the eyes.

I have tried a 3rd party tool to change the fov (before Arenanet said those are illegal) and the game was so much better with a fov of 90 and I could play the game without getting a headache. All of the art looked great and there were no graphical issues.

Players aren’t asking for a new default fov, all we are asking for is a fov slider. If someone likes the default fov of 65 so be it, but many others would like 90 or more. Just keep the default fov the same and add a slider, it’s that simple.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Phixion.2140

Phixion.2140

Why even design a game around such a low FoV?

This is PC, not console.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shayde.2564

Shayde.2564

I can’t see them stonewalling over a measly 15 degree difference. I think this points to the fact, as players have demonstrated, that the true FoV is 65 degrees. Increasing this to 90 degrees, almost a 28% improvement, makes a dramatic difference. I wish they would reconsider, as the game is truly awesome when it can be seen in all its glory.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

Phixion I think it’s possibly to lower minimum required spec’s and appeal to more people? Afaik consoles games have lower FoV because there is less on screen so better performance on those antiques.

I can’t imagine the dev’s looked at GW and thought “You know what this game needs to improve it, tunnel vision!”

in Suggestions

Posted by: WeLoveKanjimari.6725

WeLoveKanjimari.6725

Why even design a game around such a low FoV?

This is PC, not console.

I like this point.

Their arguments for why they have the FOV so low all revolve around * game’s art design.*

Maybe, just maybe, it was a stupid idea to design the game with an art “design” that “requires” such an obnoxiously low FOV and no way to change it?

in Suggestions

Posted by: ulukaiulukai.2584

ulukaiulukai.2584

You mean an art design that “requires” you to “not see it” (at least with wide screens).

http://imgur.com/a/T9uVL#0

in Suggestions

Posted by: MrNobody.4357

MrNobody.4357

it is bugged :S
http://imgur.com/a/Jcn1E

see from 4:3 to 16:10 how little horizontal FoV is added and how much vertical is cut instead?

it should behave like adding side monitors instead:
http://i.imgur.com/DLcin.jpg
-keeping vertical FoV like it is
- adding horizontal FoV

(edited by MrNobody.4357)

in Suggestions

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

it is bugged :S
http://imgur.com/a/Jcn1E

see from 4:3 to 16:10 how little horizontal FoV is added and how much vertical is cut instead?

it should behave like adding side monitors instead:
http://i.imgur.com/DLcin.jpg
-keeping vertical FoV like it is
- adding horizontal FoV

Why are they cutting VFOV on wider monitors ?

That really makes no sense at all.

in Suggestions

Posted by: mrsrachelm.7618

mrsrachelm.7618

I would like to have a slightly larger or more distant from my character POV. I can certainly live with what there is now though so no biggie if that doesn’t happen. What I REALLY would like is to be able to scroll all the way in for a first person POV, especially when doing the jumping puzzles as some of them make the camera go wonky and it’s hard to gauge the next jump. Secondarily, when the camera starts jumping around I get a bit sea sick as it were and have at times had to just log off for a bit because my stomach would start churning. This is the first time I’ve had to deal with motion sickness…in a game, lol.

in Suggestions

Posted by: SevenSigma.7462

SevenSigma.7462

Fresh from Reddit:

“We’ve heard players loud and clear on this one. But we’re not prepared to answer yet because we just convened a team to investigate, on Monday in fact, and we want to give them time to investigate. For example, there may be a bug affecting FoV calculations in widescreen resolutions. We want to know what’s a bug and what’s by design before we change the design.”

in Suggestions

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Fresh from Reddit:

“We’ve heard players loud and clear on this one. But we’re not prepared to answer yet because we just convened a team to investigate, on Monday in fact, and we want to give them time to investigate. For example, there may be a bug affecting FoV calculations in widescreen resolutions. We want to know what’s a bug and what’s by design before we change the design.”

How can not including a user adjustable FOV setting be anything other than a design decision ?

As for the possibilities of bugs in FOV calculations, I don’t really care if they are bugs or poor decisions. I just want them fixed.

in Suggestions

Posted by: SevenSigma.7462

SevenSigma.7462

How can not including a user adjustable FOV setting be anything other than a design decision ?

Could be a technical limitation on the engine, could be an issue with player culling and network load, could cause problems with the planned console version… we don’t really know, but I expect the programmers do.

As for the possibilities of bugs in FOV calculations, I don’t really care if they are bugs or poor decisions. I just want them fixed.

Now that’s just unnecessary. They acknowledged the issue and said there’s a team involved. They’re fixing it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Leadfoot.9071

Leadfoot.9071

Bumping with my agreement that FOV needs increase!! Hope they will reconsider.

in Suggestions

Posted by: MrNobody.4357

MrNobody.4357

made some new test and comparison with default and tweaked FoV at
- 1200×1200 (1:1)
- 1600×1200 (4:3)
- 1920×1200 (16:10)
http://imgur.com/a/jL3Mj