Can we have an option to auto cast AoE Effects at your current target?

in Suggestions

Posted by: BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

The fact that I have to manually move and click AoE effects is a bit of a gamebreaker for me. I actively do not use Staffs or Longbows because of this. Elementalists also are a no-go for me.

I know I could use fastcast, but then it means I can’t choose to click on the skill anymore.
I know I could press the button, but I am mainly a clicky kind of player.
These skills also mess up camera control in my experience.

Why not let us have the option of enabling it to autocast ground spells at our current target? Even add it so you can right click a skill to force it to ground target so we can choose.

Options are the spice of life. Let us Choose!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gryphon.2875

Gryphon.2875

in Suggestions

Posted by: Larkir.6502

Larkir.6502

A tip if you’re gonna play elementalist: go double daggers as weapons. They don’t have any ground-targeting spells at all Staff is horrible in that regard though :P

in Suggestions

BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

Ha, glad to see others think like me.

And I know Dual Dagger elementalist has no ground targeting, but that’s not the point really. xD

in Suggestions

BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

Can we at least have a Yes/No/Maybe from ANet about this? I’d like to know if I should bother making an elementalist.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lutharr.1035

Lutharr.1035

Just get used to keybinds tbh. Its not that hard considering there isnt many abilites, cos truthfully I cant see them changing it.

Go back to WoW. Most overused brainless arguement 2012-2013

in Suggestions

Gryphon.2875

Keybinds really has nothing to do with it… if we could use the keys there wouldn’t be an issue

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lutharr.1035

Lutharr.1035

why “cant” you use keybinds?

Go back to WoW. Most overused brainless arguement 2012-2013

in Suggestions

Gryphon.2875

Because the skills require you to use the mouse… what we’re asking for is the option to be able to use the keyboard for mouse skills. If we could do that already, we wouldn’t be asking for it.

in Suggestions

BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

Exactly. All other skills you can manipulate the camera and use them at the same time. All other skills you can run about and use at the same time.

Ground Targeting skills force you to stand still and not move the camera to do something you’ll do 99% of the time anyway. How often do you really not just hit someone directly with them? And thats why you could make Right Click do the target formation for those issues.

Not only will it help people who find this frustrating, I can imagine it would make 50% of the game playable to people with limited hand movement or only one hand or other disabilities.

in Suggestions

Posted by: GADefence.5634

GADefence.5634

Ground targetting skills have a reason. They are usually long range, long lasting and combo fields. They pretty close to always hit 2 of the 3 (ex: Lavafont is long range and a combo field while meteor shower is long range and long lasting (5~ seconds)).

Leave it as is, just learn your staff isn’t a dodgey weapon. It’s a siege-ey weapon.

in Suggestions

BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

And again, 99% of the time you are centering it on an enemy to begin with, so why add an extra level of unnecessary busywork?

in Suggestions

GADefence.5634

“And again, 99% of the time you are centering it on an enemy to begin with, so why add an extra level of unnecessary busywork?”

What about water skills, where I need to target my friends?

What about lightning’s stun field, where I am usually aiming to hit a group at a certain location?

What about when I want to drop firefield at my feet so people can use finisher’s on it to get AoE might but at a long range?

What about in WvW where I will often cast meteorshower in a central location to scare/kill people on a wall?

What about when I cast AoE fields at more then one foe? EX: Lavafont on a boss and meteor shower on many weak foes?

Honestly, switch to scepter if you want non targeted AoE, what you’re asking for is strange at best. Asking that targeted abilities (especially targeted leaps!) hit the designated spot more frequently is something I support however.

in Suggestions

BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

What about water skills, where I need to target my friends?

Click on your friends?

What about lightning’s stun field, where I am usually aiming to hit a group at a certain location?

What about when I want to drop firefield at my feet so people can use finisher’s on it to get AoE might but at a long range?

What about in WvW where I will often cast meteorshower in a central location to scare/kill people on a wall?

What about when I cast AoE fields at more then one foe? EX: Lavafont on a boss and meteor shower on many weak foes?

As I have said multiple times:
1) This would be an OPTION
2) Using this option would allow you to right click on a skill to bring up the old ground target method.

in Suggestions

GADefence.5634

“Click on your friends?”

Because this game’s UI is really good for that.

As an option, maybe, why not. It’ll let the little zerglins who just know how to mash 1-5 start using staffs more, I guess.

in Suggestions

BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

“Click on your friends?”

As an option, maybe, why not. It’ll let the little zerglins who just know how to mash 1-5 start using staffs more, I guess.

I’ll just go tell my friend who lost his hand in a traffic accident he can’t go play 50% of the class / weapon combos in the game because you say he is a “Little zeglin”.

All I am asking for is a bloody option to fix an annoying UI element that will also help disabled gamers as a side effect. No-one will force you to use it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

I see the possibility of multiple options:

1) Current default (use skill, click location)
2) Cast at mouse pointer (already an option)

However, what about these as well:
3) Cast at current target (quick press)
4) Hold skill button, point location and release skill button (can stack with cast at current target option, as you can immediately AoE an enemy target or AoE water next to you just by holding instead of pressing).

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

in Suggestions

GADefence.5634

“3) Cast at current target (quick press)”

This was kind of in the beta. If you double clicked really fast in BWE2, it would cast on target.

“I’ll just go tell my friend who lost his hand in a traffic accident he can’t go play 50% of the class / weapon combos in the game because you say he is a “Little zeglin”.”

I’m sorry for your friend, but he also wouldn’t be able to play high end competitive FPS or RTS. There are already a wide range of scepter skills (IIRC there’s only 2 skills on scepter that require you mouse target).

(edited by GADefence.5634)

in Suggestions

BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

He doesn’t want to play High End Competitive, he just wants to not have 50% of the game locked off to him when a simple OPTION would fix it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Turial.1293

Turial.1293

To keep it simple for the OP there is already a way to do this in game. First off, turn on fast-cast, secondly click on the skill with your mouse. The spell goes off exactly at your characters feet. You also have the ability to place your mouse across the screen and use your fingers to click the numbers so that they cast anywhere when you need to do that. You are putting yourself at a disadvantage by not using your fingers to hit the numbers. This works for Elementalist spells, Ranger traps and other skills that use ground-targeting.

“Some of my best friends are heterosexual”

in Suggestions

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

If you have trouble using ground targets then you aren’t playing correctly.
Most players are controlling the camera permanently. If you begin your right click in the very centre of the screen then you will have absolutely no issues because your ground target will always appear in the centre of the screen. That means that all you have to do is pan up or down to get it in the right place to hit your target.

They are not going to bring in the feature you want because it runs counter to ground target skills…
Keep in mind that there are skills that have dual functions, like doing damage to enemies and healing allies. I don’t want those to cast on my enemy when I want them to cast on me or an ally, the same is true vice versa.

Also, I use ground target skills a lot when multiple enemies are attacking me, I can work on one using auto cast skills and use ground targets on the other.
If you don’t like how they play, find a weapon or a class that doesn’t use them. They are going to destroy really great game mechanics just to please people who can’t be bothered to learn how to use them >.>

in Suggestions

Gryphon.2875

I really don’t understand why people are saying, to paraphrase, “I don’t want it because it’s contrary to how I want to play.” Well, that’s why we want it as an option.

1. It was the way AoE skills worked in GW1. It was fine then, it will be fine now.
2. It makes the game more accessible to people with disabilities. Try not to be so selfish

in Suggestions

BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

Exactly. Options are great because it lets everyone play the way they want/can.

in Suggestions

GADefence.5634

Bacon, aren’t you also the guy who’s opposed to giving people the option to visit the map freely and how they wish?

Suggestion : Let’s charge people who want target on foe to be an option 1 copper per 3 casts so balance out the fact they COULD be unlazy and target the ground themselves. After all, they probably make more money off the mobs then that so it’s all good right?

in Suggestions

BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

Nice logical fallacy there.

Two totally different mechanics and problems with two differing solutions.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kuari.8106

Kuari.8106

“Click on your friends?”

I’ll just go tell my friend who lost his hand in a traffic accident he can’t go play 50% of the class / weapon combos in the game because you say he is a “Little zeglin”.

All I am asking for is a bloody option to fix an annoying UI element that will also help disabled gamers as a side effect. No-one will force you to use it.

Your friend would probably be better off getting one of those mice with a lot of buttons and binding everything to that. Would be the most effective option.

in Suggestions

Gryphon.2875

1. Bringing an arguement with someone from one thread to another is bad form, and suggesting that wanting this option is lazy is very bigoted of you. I wonder how you’d change your tune if you lost a hand.
2. Perhaps his friend (or my friends who have mouse problems, for that matter) doesn’t want to spend an extra $80 for a mouse, when he could just have an optional mechanic in place in GW2 that worked perfectly fine in GW1

in Suggestions

Posted by: Muffin.5208

Muffin.5208

I never liked groundtargeting. Its buggy and so many times the mobs have moved with my AOE hits the ground.
Ive played several game where the AOE happens around my current target, works just fine…or around me depending on what type of spell it is.
Ive had nothign but trouble with groundtargeting in the game ive played that had those.
Atm those games are Wow, Rift and GW2.

in Suggestions

Kuari.8106

1. Bringing an arguement with someone from one thread to another is bad form, and suggesting that wanting this option is lazy is very bigoted of you. I wonder how you’d change your tune if you lost a hand.
2. Perhaps his friend (or my friends who have mouse problems, for that matter) doesn’t want to spend an extra $80 for a mouse, when he could just have an optional mechanic in place in GW2 that worked perfectly fine in GW1

OK, first off, you should clarify who each of those points are at, because that number 1 point had me confused as hell for a bit. Secondly, I still recommend the mouse because no amount of UI features is going to fix all or even most of the issues he’d have. Its not that I don’t understand, its more that sometimes just need to adapt.

in Suggestions

BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

Lots of buttons on a mouse don’t make up for the fact you can’t run and manipulate the camera at the same time as using a ground targeting skill.

in Suggestions

GADefence.5634

“Nice logical fallacy there.

Two totally different mechanics and problems with two differing solutions."

Don’t want me to use the waypoints (designed to help you move around without being annoyed and so you explore), then don’t try to use a staff without pointing your mouse (a AoE weapon designed around point to target).

Technically, by base of design, waypoints are meant to spread the community around and help you do what you feel like rather then disuade you from leaving the spot you are in. This means they are not working as intended.

Staffs, on the other hand, are supposed to be point and click AoE weapons that are heavily based on your moving your mouse around to drop fields at your will. Technically, the staff is working as intended. Play scepter, or pick a class with less point to click skills. Don’t pick the click skill weapon and on the shuffle class and then complain about too many clicks. . . You may have a valid excuse, and I understand you want to be a mage, but it just won’t work.

in Suggestions

Kuari.8106

Lots of buttons on a mouse don’t make up for the fact you can’t run and manipulate the camera at the same time as using a ground targeting skill.

Except you can do that to the same level as anyone else if you know how to set it up. Hell, if you press the same button again with the ground targeting active it will cast the spell, so not like you need to left click for it.

in Suggestions

Gryphon.2875

OK, first off, you should clarify who each of those points are at, because that number 1 point had me confused as hell for a bit.

Sorry about that. #1 was aimed at GADefence.5634, who… did it again… so therefore, I think all GADefence.5634’s points are invalid in this thread, merely because he’s wanting to antagonize Bacon over a completely different thread, ignoring other people who may want or need what Bacon suggests in this thread, that has nothing to do with what’s going on in the other thread.

In any case, I’m merely arguing for yet another thing that worked perfectly in GW1 being added to GW2. In GW1, I didn’t use my mouse hardly at all. I even picked up loot with the keyboard. And my AoE’s worked just fine by tab-targeting. I type over 100 wpm. I know the keyboard. I hate the mouse. Plus, I know several people who have functional disabilities that cannot use the mouse as well as others. These people should be able to play GW2 as well as they did in GW1. Me, I’m learning to use the mouse, but I know I’d play the game better if I could just use what worked for me for years in GW1.

(edited by Gryphon.2875)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’ve been using fast-cast since the BWE’s because when you are in a hurry you really don’t want to have to click, set a target, then click again. But I also use my mouse for 99% of my movement so yes, I do have to stop moving to fire off an aoe target.

I fully support having aoe go off centered on my target’s current location. That target could be a friend, after all, if I’m tossing a support spell. If I have nothing targeted, then fast-cast at the mouse’s location. All as options, naturally.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

OK, first off, you should clarify who each of those points are at, because that number 1 point had me confused as hell for a bit.

Sorry about that. #1 was aimed at GADefence.5634, who… did it again… so therefore, I think all GADefence.5634’s points are invalid in this thread, merely because he’s wanting to antagonize Bacon over a completely different thread, ignoring other people who may want or need what Bacon suggests in this thread, that has nothing to do with what’s going on in the other thread.

In any case, I’m merely arguing for yet another thing that worked perfectly in GW1 being added to GW2. In GW1, I didn’t use my mouse hardly at all. I even picked up loot with the keyboard. And my AoE’s worked just fine by tab-targeting. I type over 100 wpm. I know the keyboard. I hate the mouse. Plus, I know several people who have functional disabilities that cannot use the mouse as well as others. These people should be able to play GW2 as well as they did in GW1. Me, I’m learning to use the mouse, but I know I’d play the game better if I could just use what worked for me for years in GW1.

Upvote. More options* should always be accepted. In no way shape or form should this make the game horrible—GIVEN that they do not include this in any PvP related setting, because people may call it cheap to have fast-cast. But an option for PvE sounds pretty legit. This is a “Suggestions” forum for a reason, not a debate forum. Either say you don’t like the suggestion and “why” (<—that’s really important) or leave. No point in trying to enforce your own standards onto other people and thinking that “well if I can do it, or my friend can do it, why cant you?” People have different habits and wants, whether Anet chooses to cater to them is up to them, but by no means is it not worth suggesting. Hope something comes to help you out soon Bacon!

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

in Suggestions

BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

in Suggestions

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

Theres cast where mouse is and you can also double tap skill to cast where mouse is. Either way its a AoE you place not auto target. Besides some AoE’s are delayed so if you auto target an enemy with it the center of it will be where the enemy was(Assuming the enemy isn’t braindead and knows how to move while in combat) so you will end up missing a lot of your AoE. Just sayin.

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”