Character Creation feels unfinished

in Suggestions

Posted by: edweird.5913

edweird.5913

yeah..very good points…i expected a lot more from the character creator…very few faces and hairstyles and not the ones that i like..
and you cant really tweak them to your liking..you can only adjust some proportions of the face but.. meh..
i agree ..the humans are horrendous.. gw1 had more options and where satisfying ..here the male faces look like those korean k-pop figures met photo-shop airbrush.. nothing against it…but there should be variety for those who do not want that.
and i really hoped more from sylvari….they can be beautiful..but still cant create what i want..and its disappointing…i hate when i cant create the perfect toon i guess its a sickness of the mind but if my toon doesn’t look right im not very much in the mood to play the game at all.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Isende.2607

Isende.2607

i have to say, i’m a bit confused on some of your points. first of all, you make several that i feel are VERY valid — charr female tails, among them. sylvari “hair” — omG please give us more! and norn and human hair — i despise that the only “long” styles don’t move properly or, in the case of the norn, is covered by a headpiece on the one long style that’s truly gorgeous. anyway.

but when you speak of the norn, and the human, faces as all being “supermodel” types, that i can’t understand. first of all, it is more than possible to build a body type that’s just “fat” or “dumpy” or whathaveyou. then, add in that some of the faces on both races have scarring, some are “older,” and some are just plain out, what i would consider UGLY and beyond ability to make pretty, and i’d say there’s a big bit of variation available.

for a new game, yes, there are things i’d love to see different, but if you’re going to include the “supermodel” argument, it needs to be valid. given the faces you’re able to make, i don’t think it is.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kasaeva.4691

Kasaeva.4691

I believe what the OP was saying was that in comparison to the number of ‘supermodel’ faces, the number of ‘realistic’ faces falls short. In which case, that’s true. Flipping through the female norn faces, they begin to all the look the same because all but 1 or 2 are ‘pretty’ and ‘calm.’ They don’t look like refugees, dignified mountain peoples in search of their legacy, or tough warriors/hunters who have seen their share of battle. They look like little princesses or dolls that should be locked up in a tower somewhere.

I agree wholeheartedly with the OP. There’s way too much ‘supermodelism.’ Yes, people play MMOs to escape reality but it’s just not convincing for everything to be so benign. I especially have a problem with human females. They’re so incredibly skinny. They look like they’ve never eaten a meal in their lives. It doesn’t matter what you do to them, they’re just as skinny as handrails—particularly their legs. Please offer the ability to beef them out a bit so it doesn’t look like the first centaur they meet will snap every bone in their body!

~Kasaeva
Sea of Sorrows

in Suggestions

Posted by: Erebus.7568

Erebus.7568

i LOVED the early arts of silvari and asura, now they just look like kitten -.- sooo sad and nothing we can do about it, seriously just fail anet

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lane.3410

Lane.3410

I usually base the success of character creation options on how many clones I see running around the world. There are a lot of clones in GW2.

Simple fixes could have alleviated some of it. Such as the fact there are literally only two hairstyles for Asuran females that cover their forehead, which are not coincidentally the two I see used most often. Very few real or fictional persons look good with exposed foreheads. As an example, adding bangs to the pig-tails hairstyle probably would have ensured it was more frequently used.

Totally agree about the Charr horns. I ended up being pigeonholed into two horn styles — the only two which didn’t look like the female had a 10’ spike shoved through her cheeks when I increased the size of the horns on her head. I actually liked some of the others better, but not with the amount the lower horns increase in conjunction with the upper horns.

The body options are facepalm worthy. I joke that the Sylvari look like twigs, but maybe that was intended. :P The human females are the worst though, IMO. The ones that don’t look anorexic look like they’ve had extensive plastic surgery to look like a Barbie doll. I also had the same problem with the female Norns you did. I didn’t want to have gigantic breasts, but I either had to accept it or pick a body type I maybe didn’t like as much just so I wouldn’t be ridiculously top heavy.

Unfortunately, as much as I would love to see changes and/or additions I’ve never known of a game to revamp their character creation once it’s done. At best I’ve seen some add new hairstyles or hair colors, but that’s about it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Louveepine.7630

Louveepine.7630

I join the ranks. Asura and Sylvari, and the Charr, starved for choice of hairstyles, customization. it would be nice to have new things in upgrades, next day. it would make me much more than just plisir backpack Quaggan.

# Asura because I’m worth it!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Elicoidali.6483

Elicoidali.6483

Very good points there OP. I personally feel the customization to be a bit lacking as well. I was really hoping there’d be body sliders too and not set body types only. For the “realistic” features, I felt most iffy with that with NPCs. When I happen upon an old lady somewhere she had a supermodel face with an old lady voice. It was weird.

This is somewhat minor but maybe add an option for the neck length/width? I was unsure if that was possible in Aion. Also, maybe an option to change their posture? But that’s asking for the impossible I guess.

in Suggestions

Posted by: xCrusadentx.2784

xCrusadentx.2784

Agreed, more choices please!

Royal Blood Oath:
We are sworn together by our blood…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Blur.3465

Blur.3465

I completely agree with this. It feels unfinished.
As I was playing Beta, I thought the features that were in character creation then would expand and give us a larger choice of customisation.
To be honest…the most complete character customisation is with female Norn. They have such a large variety of faces and hairstyles, not to mention tattoos. It’s as if they put most of their effort there.
I expected more Charr faces, manes, horns, more Sylvari faces and leaf-styles…and I expected male Norn to look more like Vikings (longer beards and hair).
As for male Humans…the face options are totally limited and hairstyles are just meh…out of all hairstyles they put for male Humans, I can only choose one (that is mostly used by NPC humans). I would really like to see more long hairstyles for both male Norn and male Humans…if they could create female hairstyles which were longer than shoulder length, why would it be hard to make the same for males?
Most of the hairstyles we have now are purely modern…why not have some fantasy-like hairstyles too?
Something like this would satisfy me more than enough :

http://www.itusozluk.com/gorseller/marco+hietala/59888

I also understand that clipping might be issue…but I never noticed anything critical with that while I was playing with my female Norn. (Hairstyle with bandana)

Feanor

in Suggestions

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

You never know. Back when the OP made this topic, nobody would’ve expected multiple new colour options for eyes and hair. Perhaps ANet’s keeping an eye out on this kinda thing. I do agree with most concerns stated above, as well. Had to do a bit of work to get my Human Necro to just look handsome, as opposed to Visual Kei-level
Bishonen. (Mind, I don’t hate that as a look, but I do agree more options are a good thing.)

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pip.2094

Pip.2094

I agree with you as well! I understand that this game is still “young” and there are still tons of contents that are about to be added, though I believe that some little “taste” could be given already…as new colors were added just for Kits, a new hairstyle or two could be as well introduced soon! (It might also increase better the number of people buying gems )
I can say I am as well slightly disappointed on Characters Creation quality…I mean, it really lacks of some important points…it’s needed to let us customize our characters better…with some races, due to the few features, it often feels not unique at all, where you can meet players having too similar characters to yours, with same hairstyles and faces just slightly differently customized…
I personally agree on the fact that most of the hairstyles available are too Real Life-oriented…I’d really like to see more “Fantasy/Medieval”-like hairstyles, for male Humans as well. And I believe it would be very great and enjoyed by many players if longer hairstyles /for male Humans as well/ were added to game. On my side, to have the hairstyle I wish my character to have, would satisfy me enough not to even pay any attention to possible glitches!

\||||||/
O°v°O

in Suggestions

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

First thing I’m going to say is: Don’t diss the demented goth face :P I love that face…although I do wish the makeup wasn’t runny…

AT ANY RATE… I completely agree. I was disgusted with the character creation, especially the human character creation. It’s limited, it plays into unhealthy gender stereotypes and promotes eating disorders. I cringe every time I see a female character who is so thin she looks anorexic, with breasts the size and shape of melons—or a male character who looks like a steroid addict shaped from plastic. Yuck!
Charr and asura are also a big problem because they hardly have any options to choose from.
Norn, I wanted to play…but I just can’t take them seriously. The men look awful—big barrels with tiny pin heads. I wanted to make a female norn, but I just couldn’t take her seriously with those HUGE in-your-face breasts growing from her chest like mutated tumors.
Sylvari have the best options, I think. While their facial and hair style options are limited, the facial feature sliders have a very noticable effect. They have legs of normal length, the women have breasts of realistic size and shape, the men have more normal body frames, and there are so many color combinations to choose from! I can’t complain about the Sylvari, but the other races need serious work.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

i have to say, i’m a bit confused on some of your points. first of all, you make several that i feel are VERY valid — charr female tails, among them. sylvari “hair” — omG please give us more! and norn and human hair — i despise that the only “long” styles don’t move properly or, in the case of the norn, is covered by a headpiece on the one long style that’s truly gorgeous. anyway.

but when you speak of the norn, and the human, faces as all being “supermodel” types, that i can’t understand. first of all, it is more than possible to build a body type that’s just “fat” or “dumpy” or whathaveyou. then, add in that some of the faces on both races have scarring, some are “older,” and some are just plain out, what i would consider UGLY and beyond ability to make pretty, and i’d say there’s a big bit of variation available.

for a new game, yes, there are things i’d love to see different, but if you’re going to include the “supermodel” argument, it needs to be valid. given the faces you’re able to make, i don’t think it is.

So you consider the human faces to be what normal, everyday men and women look like? To me, they look like what you see on the covers of fashion magazines. Also, what do you mean, you can create a fat or dumpy body type? No you can’t. All the males look like body builders or steriod addicts, with the exception of one slender frame. All the females look like anorexics or supermodels, with the exception of the two heaviest frames. The two heaviest look like average healthy females.