Commander Tag in PvE

Commander Tag in PvE

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zig Barsinister.4925

Zig Barsinister.4925

There seem to be far too many people displaying commander tags for no reason. Is there any chance that you could change the commander tags to only appear if you are reporting to the commander or at least have the option to turn them off so you don’t have to see them on the map? It is pretty easy to come by 100 gold now and so many people seem to be just showing off.

Commander Tag in PvE

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lily Miranda.5407

Lily Miranda.5407

They should be disabled outside WvW, or at least there should be a toggle to turn other players’ tags off outside WvW.

Commander Tag in PvE

in Suggestions

Posted by: Euthymia.4807

Euthymia.4807

Automatically disabled outside WvW seems like a good and relatively easy solution. Unless there’s some reason why someone might want to have it on outside WvW.

Commander Tag in PvE

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

I bought my tag mostly for PvE.

I use it in 3 situations mostly:

1. Guild missions – it’s easier to coordinate people when chasing a target (guild bounty), I just tell them to go to my tag on the map
2. Harder group events – Much easier to clear tactics on Grenth, Balthazar and friends
3. New contetnt – people are often lost in new content – after I get the basics I tend to lead people who are lost

So I’m not fond of the idea that it should be disabled automaticly. It would be nice if you could turn it off manually though – I’m not sure how that could be implemented.

Commander Tag in PvE

in Suggestions

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Please show me this “easy to come by” way of getting 100 gold? For the Pin itself, maybe have that user’s can choose not to see it. But, it has to be available throughout the entire game. It has many uses…

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Commander Tag in PvE

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kraag Deadsoul.2789

Kraag Deadsoul.2789

I bought my tag mostly for PvE.

I use it in 3 situations mostly:

1. Guild missions – it’s easier to coordinate people when chasing a target (guild bounty), I just tell them to go to my tag on the map
2. Harder group events – Much easier to clear tactics on Grenth, Balthazar and friends
3. New contetnt – people are often lost in new content – after I get the basics I tend to lead people who are lost

So I’m not fond of the idea that it should be disabled automaticly. It would be nice if you could turn it off manually though – I’m not sure how that could be implemented.

^ This.

These are all very legitimate reasons for running a commander tag in PvE; all of which I’ve done myself.

I’d have no problem with a toggle that allows individual players to disable commander tags on their own screens. However, they serve a purpose even in PvE and I would not support having them forcibly disabled once outside of WvWvW.

I do agree it’s silly to display a commander icon if you aren’t actively using it to lead; whether in PvE or WvWvW. I consider that minor distraction a small price to pay, though, for the benefits it brings to PvE.

Also, let us not forget the fourth reason commanders display their tag in PvE; sometimes they just forget. Commanders are human, too, and after their eyes are nearly bleeding out of their head and their brain is fried from a marathon session in WvWvW, it’s easy to overlook that little blue dorito when they port back to LA.

So many souls, so little time. ~ Kraag Deadsoul

Commander Tag in PvE

in Suggestions

Zig Barsinister.4925

Yes, I totally agree there are good reasons for using the tags in PvE. But you must admit people use them all the time for no reason. And while it was once only a minor distraction, more and more people are getting them. There were two people from the MIST guild in Yak’s Bend with commander tags on just lurking waiting for the fire elemental to show up. The pre events weren’t even on yet. Just boring really.

Even if you block a person you still have to see their commander tag.
Perhaps if you could get just get rid of the tag by blocking the user it would be handy.

(edited by Zig Barsinister.4925)

Commander Tag in PvE

in Suggestions

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

There were 5 people with their commander tags on the other day at the fire elemental event. I sure am glad that there were plenty of commanders to show me where I had to be. A good commander knows when to tag up and when to drop the tag. I’m getting kind of sick of the LA commanders that have never set foot in wvw and leave the tag on.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

Commander Tag in PvE

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

Many people now have Commander tags because it’s a cheaper way to say “Look at me!” than waving around a Legendary weapon.

See what you think of my solution in an earlier post:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/SUPERCHARGE-the-Mini-Map/first#post2407453

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Commander Tag in PvE

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nomar Ramon.3107

Nomar Ramon.3107

Maybe it could be disabled only in towns.

Commander Tag in PvE

in Suggestions

Posted by: Envy.1679

Envy.1679

Stack on me! we’re gonna 50 man portal bomb this veteran ettin! stack stack stack!

MARATHON CIV 5 DIFFICULTY 10 STILL GOING

Commander Tag in PvE

in Suggestions

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

There seem to be far too many people displaying commander tags for no reason. Is there any chance that you could change the commander tags to only appear if you are reporting to the commander or at least have the option to turn them off so you don’t have to see them on the map? It is pretty easy to come by 100 gold now and so many people seem to be just showing off.

Guild missions

/end thread

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

Commander Tag in PvE

in Suggestions

Chopps.5047

Many people now have Commander tags because it’s a cheaper way to say “Look at me!” than waving around a Legendary weapon.

See what you think of my solution in an earlier post:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/SUPERCHARGE-the-Mini-Map/first#post2407453

No, we all pop them during guild missions. There’s nothing wrong with it in principle since you’re not affected. The only issue with the commander tag is the lack of funcionality that it gives. Hopefully Anet addresses that and might simultaneously give you the option to turn their display off—if only to stop the irrational QQing.

But this notion isn’t new. It started at launch from people with inferiority complex and now it sort of has a life of it’s own. Why do you people care so much???

I’m just saying, it’s dumb to complain about when others use it for guild missions. Yes, it helps for every party lead to have a commander tag—especially when everyone is trying to find where everyone is going whether it be a bounty, puzzle, or rush, we find “tag spamming” invaluable and a huge time saver.

People also use them for leading meta event chains such as Hydra Queen or the many metas in Orr. Yes, there are many large guilds that use the tags in pve. In fact, out of all of the two dozen people in Strikeforce (some of them massive pranksters) that have tags, I don’t know a single one who pops it just to troll/show off.

(edited by Chopps.5047)

Commander Tag in PvE

in Suggestions

Envy.1679

But this notion isn’t new. It started at launch from people with inferiority complex and now it sort of has a life of it’s own. Why do you people care so much???

found the lion’s arch commander

Commander Tag in PvE

in Suggestions

Posted by: ExTribble.7108

ExTribble.7108

I’ve counted up to 10 commanders all at the same boss event with their pins up. You can’t tell me that there’s a valid reason for that. Most of them are commanders you never see in WvW so they’re doing it purely to troll unless they’re one of the few PvE only players who got it for guild reasons, and even then they all can’t possibly be so blind that they don’t notice their pin is up. This isn’t just one night by the way, it’s commonplace to have 5+ commanders at these events, especially when others aren’t active at the time.

Toggle in options set default to show pins would be very nice. It’s better to show as newbies to some areas are sometimes guided by a commander saying “go to my pin”. If it’s default off, these newbies will be just further confused/annoyed with whatever issue they had. Obviously, no toggling in WvW as commanders rarely if ever troll there.

“Any lump can hack bad guys to death, but it takes skill
and style to turn them into craters and dust.” -Tonn
Number-crunching for ecto salvages – periodically updated

Commander Tag in PvE

in Suggestions

Posted by: Korval.3751

Korval.3751

Commander flags are used for guild missions and other large group events. So yes, they stay in PVE.

Commander Tag in PvE

in Suggestions

Envy.1679

WvW as commanders rarely if ever troll

Attachments:

Commander Tag in PvE

in Suggestions

Posted by: Korval.3751

Korval.3751

WvW as commanders rarely if ever troll

That’s a strategic term known as team killing. It can also said that those who actually jump off the cliff are mentally kittened. just saying! :P

Commander Tag in PvE

in Suggestions

Posted by: ExTribble.7108

ExTribble.7108

@Envy: Rarely, if ever != never. The grand majority of commanders (at least on my server) don’t ever troll, even if it’s harmless.

“Any lump can hack bad guys to death, but it takes skill
and style to turn them into craters and dust.” -Tonn
Number-crunching for ecto salvages – periodically updated

Commander Tag in PvE

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

I get it. There is a valid reason for you to have your Commander’s Icon in PvE sometimes. Why can’t you understand that it doesn’t affect you in the least if I have the option to turn it off?

Heck, I’ve had numerous instances when I can’t find the merchant because the map symbol is obliterated by a Commander’s symbol.

Give us the OPTION. How can you argue against a personal option? You like it, you use it. I don’t like it, I don’t use it. Everybody wins.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Commander Tag in PvE

in Suggestions

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

I bought a commander tag a few days ago specifically to coordinate event chains in Cursed Shore. Getting the Champion Risen Abomination out of the way for Plinx to respawn was a rare occurance, now I can pull together a good side group and keep things moving.

I don’t see myself using it in WvW until we get guild alliances (like GW1) (if we ever do).

It’s like people who buy legendaries instead of working for them.. after a few minutes you figure out if they have the skill to go with the tool…

Commander Tag in PvE

in Suggestions

Chopps.5047

found the lion’s arch commander

I do not own a commander tag…

Commander Tag in PvE

in Suggestions

Zig Barsinister.4925

Guild missions

/end thread

Funny how you posted twice after you ended the thread. People care about the commander tag being shown in pve (well actually anywhere there is a troll with a tag up) because it is something changing the map for no reason. I don’t need a marker to show who in the game has 100 gold to blow. I am just not interested. I do like the idea of having commander tags. They have use. But there needs to be a way to TURN THEM OFF IF THE USER IS A TIME WASTER AND IS CLUTTERING MAPS FOR NO REASON. Get it? That is why I care. Blocking a user should block the tag. Or some mechanic like the npc commanders where you have to have 10 people report to the commander to make them active. Perhaps something like having them only appear to people in the same guild or in the commander’s squad. Having 100 gold is not a good enough reason to be a fixture on the map.

I have a feeling that some commanders would actually like the option to only be seen by a select group of people. Guilds in WvW who want the teams to behave in a specific way and don’t want every random person following their commander might like this. But that is a different story because that option would be in the commanders hands.

Commander Tag in PvE

in Suggestions

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

It could be set to toggle off automatically in LA and other cities.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Commander Tag in PvE

in Suggestions

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

I agree with proper usage and disabling them on cities
sounds reasonable.

Commander Tag in PvE

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ratty.5176

Ratty.5176

But how am I meant to guide people to the bank?

seriously though, I would love the ability to turn off the tag to anyone not in my Squad. also some more control in general over my mini-map would be awesome. I would quite like to be able to see nearby players in PvE as in WvW.. and having guildies nearby show up as yellow would be really really nice.

Commander Tag in PvE

in Suggestions

Posted by: Euthymia.4807

Euthymia.4807

Commander flags are used for guild missions and other large group events. So yes, they stay in PVE.

The thing is, you don’t need 6 people with it in at one group event, and you need it much less standing around in a city chatting.

The commander tag should be removed when leaving WvW. If you need one to co-ordinate guild things, then there should be a separate tag that only your other guild members can see. There should also be a limited number of the guild version and it should be on a somewhat long timer. That way every member in the guild can’t have one and “forget” to turn it off.

People are completely capable of doing group events without someone with a commander tag. If you think otherwise, you’re just fooling yourself.

Commander Tag in PvE

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sitkaz.5463

Sitkaz.5463

My first experience with a commander was as a lowbie in PVE. I saw this blue thing and chased after it. It turned out to be a group of 20 or so people, more than I’d seen (I hadn’t been in wvw yet.) We zerged around the map and a had a lot of fun. Yes, things became much easier, but nobody seemed to care. I could have done it alone but it was fun to have the group.

I don’t see this very often, but it’d be too bad if it was made impossible. It’d be good to toggle a private commander tag for groups, but disabling it in PVE entirely isn’t necessary just because we don’t like to see them standing around LA.

Commander Tag in PvE

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

A few days ago I lead a large group of players to the temple of Bathazar. I simply told people in map chat to “rally to my commander tag” and join in. And so a lot of players did. It was an excellent way to coordinate large groups of players in PVE.

But I also use my commander tag in cities like Lion’s Arch, to organize community events and other festivities.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Commander Tag in PvE

in Suggestions

Posted by: GreenNekoHaunt.8527

GreenNekoHaunt.8527

WvW and PvE should be divided here. You should be able to get PvE commander for 100g and WvW commander for a certain amount of badges of honor as well as a certain rang. Or even putting in a certain amount of rang points to gain commander and/or commander powers.

Gamer & Developer; Playing games is part of making games! Gather experience and make games!

Commander Tag in PvE

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sebulon.7683

Sebulon.7683

I call it the “ego badge”. Only the most shamefur commanders use it in PvE.

Commander Tag in PvE

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

Best solution in my oppinion:

Have an option on BOTH the minimap and the large map for the following:

- turn off visibility for different things (WPs, POIs, gathering nodes, Commander tags, etc.)

Sometimes there are WPs overshadowing collectible plants and stuff. It would also be great if I could turn off all the distracting icons on the map, when I am searching for that last POI that I am missing from the given map.

Commander Tag in PvE

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rainbow Sprint.3215

Rainbow Sprint.3215

Commanders do get a bigger group size which is good for guilds even in PvE. So it’s fine if you don’t want to see the commander tags, but that decision should be client side.