Costs of Travel

Costs of Travel

in Suggestions

Posted by: Killigon.6804

Killigon.6804

I too think it’s too high, I grudge everytime I have to travel using waypoints, when I travel to LA it’s usually a short term visit, before I go back and lvl some more. 6 silvers you get from doing 3 or 4 events in orr, but doing those events takes alot more time than the time I use in LA. The WP price in-area is also too high.

Costs of Travel

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mrpopo.4593

Mrpopo.4593

i agree 100% +1 in my book

Costs of Travel

in Suggestions

Posted by: Keks.2578

Keks.2578

my suggestion is :

If you stand next to a way point you get 50% off to all waypoints out of your zone and 75% off to all waypoints in your current zone.

Costs of Travel

in Suggestions

Posted by: Knux.6054

Knux.6054

my suggestion is :

If you stand next to a way point you get 50% off to all waypoints out of your zone and 75% off to all waypoints in your current zone.

That’s an interesting idea. I’d still prefer a big nerf to the way the prices scale with level, but I could live with your suggestion.

Server: Yak’s Bend
Main: Crossandra (Mesmer)

Costs of Travel

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

For the person complaining about the travel cost between Rata Sum and Lion’s Arch:

Use the Asura gate to travel between cities. It’s free.

Asura gates actually counterbalance the cost of waypoint travel. The downside is that some parts of the map (especially the level 60+ areas) are quite far from the nearest Asura gate.

Therefore, my suggestion is NOT to reduce waypoint travel, but INSTEAD to add one or two Asura gates, which perhaps need to be “unlocked” just like waypoints.

WP travel cost has a purpose, which is to encourage us to actually travel around Tyria, and to tempt us into participating in events along the way. If players could just travel for free or negligible costs, nobody would be participating in events at all.

Finally, the cost of a single WP trip can be gained back in any area. Yes, even in starting zones. You just need to gather tier 1 materials and sell them on the Trade Post as you go.

Having said that, I am of the opinion that the cost for level 80 characters are on the high side.

(edited by Jornophelanthas.1475)

Costs of Travel

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zoul.1087

Zoul.1087

Pass or token you buy, get as reward is a great idea.

Costs of Travel

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kal.2376

Kal.2376

Yeah, short range costs are a bit high. Long range costs seem ok. So the distance scaling seems to be a bit off.

I would like to have free ports to lions arch. It is (literally) the center of the world. And we can already get there through the mists, so we would save a load screen if we could port to LA free…

Costs of Travel

in Suggestions

Posted by: kgptzac.8419

kgptzac.8419

I don’t object the current cost in porting to zones similar to character level, but having wp costs scaled with character level is discouraging high level characters from participating/helping lower leveled friends and strangers, which is a direct contradiction to the design philosophy that higher level characters can still have fun in lower level areas.

Many solutions have already suggested. Scale wp cost to the zone’s level instead of character level, or increase the chance of getting character level-specific loot to help cover the cost.

a shard of crystal in the desert.

Costs of Travel

in Suggestions

Posted by: Skov.2795

Skov.2795

I agrees that the price for traveling using waypoints should probably rather be based on the zone of the destination than your level.

Another thing I have noticed and which seems weird is that the increase in price based on distance also works inside a city so that the price depending on which waypoint you choose inside a city varies, and similar the price for waypointing out of the city depends on where in the city you are, this seems to be in contrast with the free use of waypoints inside the city

Costs of Travel

in Suggestions

Posted by: Typh.8027

Typh.8027

I like the idea of making traveling costs free once an entire map is fully explored (this is a 100 percent completion for that map)

Costs of Travel

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dragon.9726

Dragon.9726

I would like to share my opinion and my problems with the travel costs and suggest some possible solutions to them. I have been playing this game since the release and my experience about travel costs are very negative.

First of all, I think travel costs discourage people to help each other when they are far away from each other on the map. I usually use teamspeak to communicate with my guild mates, and whenever someone asks for a help in the personal story, or a skill challenge, or a jumping challenge, he meets the awkward silence, since we don’t like to spend minimum 5 silver to travel there and back. I know this doesn’t sound too much, but if we take that, that I want to spend my time helping multiple people or I want to do 10 jumping challanges in a row, we can multiply that with 10, which makes it 50 silver, which is almost exactly 2 glob of ectoplasm in the trading post. So in this sense I don’t want throw ectoplasms out of the window, because I want to be generous or I want to have fun exploring the world with my guild mates (or by myself). I understand that the game needs gold sinks, but this is not the place, where the players want such a heavy gold sink, we don’t like to be punished for helping each other. Therefore a simple solution would be to reduce the travel costs by half. I think it would initiate social playing a lot.

Another very frustrating thing is, when we die we have to pay to travel to the closest waypoint, which minimum 1,5 silver on lvl 80. I find myself dying a lot in jumping challenges, which also breaks my armor, but that’s fine, I want to be punished in some extent. But to pay ALSO 1,5 silver on every death, that’s a bit harsh I think, paying the repair cost is enough punishment for a death.

My last problem with travel costs, that they have a minimum of around 1,5 silver on lvl 80. I find myself walking instead of using a waypoint, when I want to travel in an area. Although I don’t consider this as a major problem.

To summarize my thoughts, travel cost is not a very good place to apply a heavy gold sink, it draws back social interaction between the players, it discourages them to help each other, and forces them to NOT use waypoint system at all. (my charr sits in LA for a week now, I only travel when there is a dungeon, althoguh I’d like to visist various places in the world, but I don’t do that, since it eats my money away…)

(edited by Dragon.9726)

Costs of Travel

in Suggestions

Posted by: Replect.3407

Replect.3407

I don’t have problems with the travel costs, but I understand those that do have problems with it. I would already kind of happy if just travelling to any of the main cities would be for free! At least travelling to LA… I mean, currently most players are travelling to the mists, using the portal there to LA to get this result! That’s an unnecessary step…

So, waypoint costs are fine!

Waypoints in/to a city should always be free!

(edited by Replect.3407)

Costs of Travel

in Suggestions

Posted by: NickChabby.8907

NickChabby.8907

-snip-

Quoted for truth. Add the fact that the cost travel is universal, wherever we are, even if we are downscaled to level 4 in a zone.