Could GW2 make an AA system work?

in Suggestions

Posted by: piitb.7635

piitb.7635

For those that don’t know AA generally means “alternative advancement”. It’s usually reserved for high level characters in an MMO to give an objective chance to make their characters more powerful without grinding for gear.

There are several AA systems out there all with different styles.

For example, Rift has a straight forward AA system where if you gain a level you get AA points in which you can sink into attunements that slightly increase your stats. Like 100 AA points gives you 1 point of strength, 200 AA points a slight dps increase on a specific weapon type.

Another example of AA is LotRO as LotRO has 2 types of AA. LotRO has traits, which are stat improvements on completing achievements (like killing X number of y enemies in the world). But LotRO also has AA in it’s legendary weapons system. Legendary weapons earn experience as you use them and given enough experience you can allocate points in skills your legendary weapon has.

AA should generally promote just playing the game, not necessarily grinding. So this falls right into GW2’s idea of just playing, exploring, crafting, doing whatever you want.

GW’s 2 already has mechanics in place to implement an AA system. We have skill points, which after you buy all your skills are just mystic forge fodder. And we also receive arenanet points for just playing the game.

(edited by piitb.7635)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Disruptive.2509

Disruptive.2509

I can see how this could work.

Recruiting all levels for PvX on Jade Quarry!
http://axegang.enjin.com

in Suggestions

Posted by: gwcharr.9017

gwcharr.9017

@ piitb.7635

I like the idea of having progression at high level without an entire focus on gear like you are talking about. I’m not saying gear shouldn’t be added but AA could supplement gear for overall sense of progression especially at max level.

I like how we unlock traits through the trait system but once you’re at level cap and have all of them the focus shifts away toward spending skill points on other things like you said. Sure being able to acquire skill points after max level to buy things is an easy way to keep people playing, almost like doing dailies depending on how you play, but I was getting better gear and traits while leveling then left with gear only to farm out at max level.

A lot of games have a similar drop off at max level, but having AA’s can add another layer of depth to our characters that I’d really like to see take shape if it’s extended out beyond max level. So basically when your at max you can progress with both gear and acquire AA’s.

“Hey guys I just got a new weapon and this new AA that lets me punt my Asuran group members!”

… think about it devs come on, it would help them with their jumping puzzles!

(edited by gwcharr.9017)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gallen Muur.2487

Gallen Muur.2487

I like the legendary weapons exp idea. With each level the base stats of the weapon go up slighly.

Yaks Bend Server

in Suggestions

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

I can see this imbalancing the game fairly quickly unless it was a pve thing only but even then the stat increases should take a lot to get

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

in Suggestions

Posted by: Runiir.6425

Runiir.6425

A great way to fix the fact it is so hard to find storymode dungeouns on alts…make AA require regular running of storymode dungeouns with different dungeouns ran every day. IE: you run AC on monday, can’t get credit for another AC untill atleast running every other storymode once. I’d even push it into a forcably making people run the dungeouns with “gasp!” new people to get credit! Have the list reset every 24h period. This forces people to help others and promotes pugging and promotes the guilds to actually utilize members outside the clicks that always form in the larger ones.

in Suggestions

Posted by: gwcharr.9017

gwcharr.9017

I don’t like the idea of putting the AA’s behind dungeons that way, but I agree that it can be difficult finding groups because there’s really no incentive like tokens, which is a form of progression.

AA’s could work even for PvP for example, seperate AA’s into 2 different categories PvE and PvP and earn PvE AA’s by doing PvE and earn PvP AA’s by doing PvP. Wait what about SPvP and balance? The simplest solution would be either to not have AA’s for SPvP or unlock them all for SPvP allowing everyone the chance to select which AA’s they want to bring to the fight.

Wait a sec, AA’s that can only work in PvE and AA’s that only work in PvP sounds a bit reminiscence to old GW with the difference really in what kind of AA’s are available.

Now this creates more incentive to play and motivators. The thing is to not create very high gaps for example, “+20 Str PvE AA” is not a good AA design. So really having small gains with AA doesn’t create a large gap and helps keep everyone effective and you aren’t left very far behind. Also the fear of being left behind from such small gaps shouldn’t really exist but it will to some, and if you are playing the game you are getting your AA’s.

What about people for example in PvE requiring me to have certain AA’s before I can run a dungeon with their group? This will happen regardless of AA’s or not but tuning AA’s to not give extreme boosts will help.