in Suggestions

Posted by: Feral Spirit.1572

Feral Spirit.1572

I want the trade option like in gw1 as well

*Crazy Idea* Enable *Trading Between Players* Without Using Mail System

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aria.4817

Aria.4817

I am fine with the way it works at this time, initially it was awkward but after getting use to it think what they have is fine.

Also if this somehow hinders the gold sellers by not having player trade then by all means don’t enable it!

Aria Treedove (SDL)
Darkhaven NA Server
(semi noob wvw)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Exiel Shadowthorn.1384

Exiel Shadowthorn.1384

I would love this. I almost exclusively play with a buddy. When one of us gets an upgrade for the other, we have to go through the mail system even though we’re standing right next to each other. As others have said, it’d also be nice to just have a secure place to trade with others outside of the Trading Post.

Let’s see.

To trade with another player, you right click, select trade. A window comes up and you drop the item in it, then you click “Trade”

To mail to another player, you right click, select mail. A window comes up and you drop the item in it, then you click “Mail”

I don’t see the mechanical difference, or why it’s more effort to “go through the mail system”

I do agree that it removes a potential for scamming, when you can’t see whether the guy is going to give you your 5s for that sword or not.

The way I see it, use the Trading Post for selling items to players you don’t know, put it up for auction, I LOVE IT!

However, let’s say you have a new guild member who says he’ll pay you 10s for a stack of copper, well, you’re past the point of using copper, so sure, why not. You mail him the copper, he puts it in the bank, puts you on the ignore list, and leaves the guild. You don’t get a single copper from him. Sure, you can report him, but with more important things like exploiters and botters, I really doubt that a single 10s scam will be top of their ban list.

Hence, Trading. You put in 250 Copper Ore, he puts in 10s, you accept, he accepts, BAM free trade between 2 players.

The mail system is great for messaging offline players, I’ve used it for that purpose plenty of times, but for trading, the system is severely flawed. OP is asking for a seperate window, that will allow you to trade similar to the way trading was done in GW1, that system was perfect. If they edited their offer, it let you know. You could see everything they put in, and you could go over the menu, to make sure you weren’t scammed. Really, the only way to be scammed with GW1 Trade was if you didn’t check their offer and they gave you something with the same inventory skin as what you offered. Or you didn’t pay attention and they gave you gold instead of plat.

(edited by Exiel Shadowthorn.1384)

in Suggestions

Posted by: LittleBigAsura.6071

LittleBigAsura.6071

And what if you wanna trade an item for another item? Trading posts can’t do that and you can get scammed in mails.
No trading system = More scams.
A trading system related to trading posts (telling you prices and things like that) will be interessting and no one will get scammed

Fedd
Luxon [Lux]
Jade Quarry

in Suggestions

Posted by: jonas.7692

jonas.7692

You can already do that now: target the player, right-click the item and select “Mail” and it will open a mail window with the targeted player’s name already in the To: block and hit send. I can’t see how that can get any easier.

… for the scammer. Say I find a nice Masterwork chain item. The guy who is with me in a dungeon wants it. “Sure,” I say, “how about you trade me for that scepter you just picked up”. We both click “mail”, we both send, I go to open my mail and … there’s a ragged cloth in my inbox. I have been scammed. Reverse the roles and it could happen, too.

Sometimes akitten for tat with observable trade values is the best way to maintain civility. Trust but verify…

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

NO.

Why not?

Third-party auction sites.

Auctions are BAD, VERY BAD for a game economy as they artificially increase prices instead following proper supply and demand like direct prices do.

If easy direct sales were allowed, we’ll have third party auction sites that greedy powertraders would use to make themselves a micro-economy and inflating prices instead putting those items into the Trading Post, decreasing their appearance there, which results in a loss of supply, and therefore an increase in prices.
But since they’ll trade with auctioned prices, they’ll get more in-game gold, creating a gap between what they earn and what trading post users earn, and also forcing people to use those third party sites if they want to find those items and such.

All trades should go though the Trading Post, and if you want to give something to a friend or someone you trust, you still have the mail.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

I’ve been thinking about this a bit, and have to revise my position a bit. All the bad things predicted to come with secure player to player trading can be reversed by just removing it again. Most would be killed instantly, while inflation will take some time before the trading post tax reduces prices to the stable point.

I still don’t see anything useful about P2P trading, so I’m still against it. Just not as solidly as before.

in Suggestions

Posted by: roqoco.4053

roqoco.4053

This old chestnut has been done to death in so many threads already. Use the TP for trading and GW2 doesn’t have the problem of everyone spamming the main chat channels with trade stuff – since noone will be stupid enuf to trade with strangers over mail… will they?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Polarity.2648

Polarity.2648

This old chestnut has been done to death in so many threads already. Use the TP for trading and GW2 doesn’t have the problem of everyone spamming the main chat channels with trade stuff – since noone will be stupid enuf to trade with strangers over mail… will they?

What a terrible argument. We shouldn’t have player trading because you don’t like the “spam”? No, add trading between players. There is no real reason it shouldn’t be in.

If someone wants to sell something to someone else, they should be able to without risking mail. At the very least add C.O.D.

in Suggestions

Posted by: lyn.4156

lyn.4156

I dont see a huge need for the system since you can do it via mail. Bit cluncky but still not a biggie imo.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

You cannot easily track peer to peer trades in game as easily as you can track mail.
This is very good to track account hack and RMT activity.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

The major reason behind a trading UI is to prevent scams. It would take some work to add it, but the reduction of scam reports would probably add up to money saved for them over time.

Ice Cubes in place of Sapphires . Enough said .

in Suggestions

Posted by: Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

What a terrible argument. We shouldn’t have player trading because you don’t like the “spam”? No, add trading between players. There is no real reason it shouldn’t be in.

When there are no good reasons to include it then any argument against it, no matter how small, becomes a good reason to not include it.
So what are the good reasons to add it ?

If someone wants to sell something to someone else, they should be able to without risking mail. At the very least add C.O.D.

You can sell to other players, through the trading post.

Since almost all trades will use coin even if barter is an option, I don’t see how COD is any different to a trade window. So don’t pretend it’s any kind of compromise.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Flankenzee.7958

Flankenzee.7958

I think people are overlooking the immersion that things like player trading, and even selling items via chat adds. It adds a whole extra dimension to a mass multiplayer game. The trading post is nice, but extremely impersonal, especially since GW2 doesn’t tag crafted items with the name of the maker, and you never see a sellers name.

No I don’t want /Map filled with trade chat, but that’s why you create a specific trade channel for it, and make it easy to use in the UI.

Not being able to trade with my friend right infront of me is just a buzz kill. Sure mail is instant, but it feels impersonal and takes away from the RPG side of the game.

You may think things like this are insignificant, but immersion is what makes a game whole.

in Suggestions

roqoco.4053

@ “No I don’t want /Map filled with trade chat, but that’s why you create a specific trade channel for it, and make it easy to use in the UI.”

But people don’t bother to use the trade chat, they know that most people don’t look at it and spam the main channels instead.

Don’t see why mail is any more impersonal than F2F trading or less immersive – maybe its the name or something: they are both UIs for transferring stuff. Just right click on an item and send mail – what could be easier.

Its bewildering to me that some people become so attached to features of other MMOs that they can’t adapt to a simple change like this – which is there for very good reasons.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Raging Bull.5048

Raging Bull.5048

Please enable trading between players without mandating the use of the mail system. It is a huge convenience to be able to trade between players, not to mention that if I were roaming around in a fantasy world as my character is, there is no real reason I couldn’t pick up some cool new piece of armor, look at it, and then hand it over to them to use.

Honestly a trade panel with the ability for both parties to add items would be very useful and appreciated.

Yes please.

in Suggestions

Flankenzee.7958

But people don’t bother to use the trade chat, they know that most people don’t look at it and spam the main channels instead.

This is only because interfaces generally aren’t setup to handle trade chat well. Many games don’t make it obvious or part of the game. I’ve seen games that force you to type /join trade59 and things like that, it’s not obvious to players, many of them don’t know about it. It’s not the players the fault, but the games design.

Its bewildering to me that some people become so attached to features of other MMOs that they can’t adapt to a simple change like this – which is there for very good reasons.

They aren’t good reasons in my opinion. Not being able to walk up to someone in front of you and trade with them is just silly. The current system doesn’t solve any problems – and I never had a problem in other games that I could trade with other players.

in Suggestions

roqoco.4053

Not being able to walk up to someone in front of you and trade with them is just silly. The current system doesn’t solve any problems – and I never had a problem in other games that I could trade with other players.

One can only repeat that the market is a far better place to trade with strangers. When u get used to it I’m sure you will come round to it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: NinjaKnight.1340

NinjaKnight.1340

Trading between players is a terrible idea. Trading post works just fine for trading.

Can you imagine how much Trading spam would pop up up in chat if this was allowed?

in Suggestions

Flankenzee.7958

One can only repeat that the market is a far better place to trade with strangers. When u get used to it I’m sure you will come round to it.

I am more than used to the TP already, and I do plenty of trading on it. But when I’m out in the field and want to trade with a specific person, I want to be able to trade directly with them, whether they are on my friends list, or someone I am teaming up with for a short while.

It’s simply how I would prefer to do it, it results in a better game experience for me. It wouldn’t stop people from using the TP, so adding it is only going to please more people, while not hurting the people that don’t necessarily want it.

in Suggestions

NinjaKnight.1340

so adding it is only going to please more people, while not hurting the people that don’t necessarily want it.

WRONG – it would promote trade spam. There is already enough Gold spam out there.

If you want to trade in the field mail it. If you don’t trust them enough to mail then use TP.

in Suggestions

roqoco.4053

I am more than used to the TP already, and I do plenty of trading on it. But when I’m out in the field and want to trade with a specific person, I want to be able to trade directly with them, whether they are on my friends list, or someone I am teaming up with for a short while.

Wots wrong with using mail for that? The only thing that mail lacks is the security aspect. But, if u just want to give something to someone it works fine. If u want to flog that black dye or sword of uber slaying then its best to just put it on the TP.

There’s no convincing case here for F2F trading and certainly not one that even begins to make up for the disadvantages. This is one of those things like (censored) that people will continue to moan about.

in Suggestions

Flankenzee.7958

There are plenty of cases for F2F trading here, and they do more than make up for the disadvantages. You just don’t agree with them, which is fine. We are all entitled to our opinion.

Trade spam wouldn’t be an issue if there was a proper trade channel setup, and no one uses /map anyway these days because of the gold seller spam, which happens in both chat and in the mail system.

If you removed the mail system and had player trading, then you would eliminate mail spam, so there is more than one way to look at it.

MMO’s are about lots of players interacting together, and GW2 is severely lacking in that area because everything is so impersonal, people barely use chat at all. TP doesn’t even tell you who you are trading with, crafted items aren’t named with the crafter, you can’t trade with a person standing in front of you.

(edited by Flankenzee.7958)

in Suggestions

NinjaKnight.1340

I can’t see any advantage to F2F trading. It only adds scamming and spam. I have played games with trade channels and the traders still use the World/Map chat to spam since more people read it. Anyways by reporting and blocking gold spam Map chat is still somewhat active.

I can see a problem if they didn’t allow mail transfer of stuff, but hey if you don’t trust the guy use the TP, 100% secure.

in Suggestions

roqoco.4053

MMO’s are about lots of players interacting together, and GW2 is severely lacking in that area because everything is so impersonal, people barely use chat at all. TP doesn’t even tell you who you are trading with, crafted items aren’t named with the crafter, you can’t trade with a person standing in front of you.

I agree that currently people aren’t meeting up that much in the game, at least in my experience. But, I don’t think the trading system is the reason for that.

People tend to come together to solve problems that are hard to solve on their own. in GW1 people would just use heroes/henchmen, but in GW2 they just solo everything instead. Not an easy thing for devs to solve, since the solo aspect is pretty essential for casual players. They have tried to intersperse solo events with group content, but maybe that needs to be taken somewhat further.

in Suggestions

Flankenzee.7958

I can’t see any advantage to F2F trading. It only adds scamming and spam. I have played games with trade channels and the traders still use the World/Map chat to spam since more people read it.

There really is no scamming problem with F2F trading if it is implemented properly. Both parties can clearly see what each side is offering, and both parties need to confirm. If anything changes, the deal resets. Many games have implemented this securely.

Anyway, it’s not a gamebreaker, but I certainly would prefer it, it would improve the game for me. I’ve heard a lot of other people say that GW2 often feels like a single player game trapped inside a MMO, and it’s little things like this that attribute to it.

Even if you could only trade items and not money so it’s not used instead of the TP would suit my usage, but I don’t think a restriction like that would even be necessary.

in Suggestions

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

So I skipped some of this because it was getting repetitive.
But from what I can tell the only reason people want player-to-player trading is to sell stuff. The idea then being to bypass the TP and attempt to get more money out of players when not competing in a open and levelled environment. So the basic idea that underlies this is, I want to get some sucker to pay me more money than I would get otherwise on the TP when I have to complete with other people selling the same or inequivalent items.

Oh ok no problem then, but why then make up all those other excuses and reason and use all this double-talk if all you guys want to do is make a bit of extra coin?

in Suggestions

Posted by: indelible.5928

indelible.5928

Whilst I support the idea wholeheartedly (I do think that ArenaNet should be trying to cultivate intra-server economies as well as the overall global economy in some ways, if they actually want this entire community orientated gaming thing to work) I would say the title of the thread was just a little distasteful ;D

TKT | European Gaming Clan | Aurora Glade | http://www.tktclan.net

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zenyatoo.4059

Zenyatoo.4059

Anet doesnt want you to be able to trade between people normally because then you get to skip the 15% fines that the trading post takes out of your profit. How else are they meant to cut down on inflation?

Also lol at the scam stopping.
You know how to stop 99.9% of the ol switcheroo’s? Add a second confirm window where you cant change anything and can only accept or back out of the trade. Bam, suddenly you cannot sleight of hand anything.
Also the red message that GW1 had that alerted you if they had changed an offer.

There are literally so many ways to stop scamming that dont involve removing a feature and forcing everyone to lose money when they want to sell to other players.

I mean hell even a CoD on the mail system would be more than enough but nope, trading post is all we got.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Leodious.5671

Leodious.5671

I definitely do not want a trade function. Mandating that all trade happens through the Black Lion company means the market remains stable. We can still trade between trusted players (e.g., give my friend that awesome bow I just found) instantly from anywhere via mail.

This is a much better system.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Raging Bull.5048

Raging Bull.5048

so adding it is only going to please more people, while not hurting the people that don’t necessarily want it.

WRONG – it would promote trade spam. There is already enough Gold spam out there.

If you want to trade in the field mail it. If you don’t trust them enough to mail then use TP.

Actually, in WoW the “spam” you speak of made the game feel more alive. Like the stock-market, people offering stuff, people buying stuff etc.

The solution is more than simple and WoW already did that – there is a separate channel for trading, and if you don’t want to read the “spam” simply leave that chat channel. Yay, modern technologies make our lives easier!

in Suggestions

Flankenzee.7958

So I skipped some of this because it was getting repetitive.

Your right, you did skip a lot of stuff, including reasons why people want it. It’s not to do with making extra coin, it’s already easy enough to make money in GW2.

Actually, in WoW the “spam” you speak of made the game feel more alive. Like the stock-market, people offering stuff, people buying stuff etc.

The solution is more than simple and WoW already did that – there is a separate channel for trading, and if you don’t want to read the “spam” simply leave that chat channel. Yay, modern technologies make our lives easier!

Well said, “alive” is a good word for it, and something that GW2 lacks in it’s atmosphere.

in Suggestions

Posted by: BIMBLE.7952

BIMBLE.7952

Thought I would add my voice/vote to the growing cacophony: I too want to see in-game trade system. It allows me to barter with others.

I’m sure it will come.