Cross-armor-class Transmutation

in Suggestions

Posted by: Swagg.9236

Swagg.9236

I’m not entirely sure why this isn’t a thing. I mean, I guess I can understand why if someone argues “But it’s for flavor,” but that argument is paper-thin on a good day given that when you click on a character, their profession icon appears next to their name and all professions are rather easily distinguishable from the get-go by their skill animations alone.

If it’s a programming issue, then I suppose I can accept that, but even that doesn’t seem like it’s a terribly strong excuse. Can’t armor rating be tied to profession, as in a medium armor profession will always have armor stats equivalent to medium armor regardless of whichever armor skin he or she is wearing?

The only other issue that I could think of would be WvW-related. As of now, when selecting targets in WvW, players cannot instantly determine which profession their enemy is. Armor can help narrow down the possibilities, but it’s still not entirely certain. Cross-armor-class transmutation would completely throw this out the window. However, aside from the fact that any opening salvos or set-up would instantly reveal an opponent’s identity, we already have the feature in PvE where selecting a player will display that player’s profession icon next to their name. Just add that to WvW. Problem solved.

More importantly: ANet. You know that you would make a killing by releasing something like Cross-Armor-Class Transmutation Stones into the Trading Post. 5 for 500 gems. A KILLING. You can’t resist that.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Benjamin.8237

Benjamin.8237

I understand everything you said, but the answer is Lore. An Elementalist studied the arcane arts, not to wear heavy armor. A mesmer is meant to be a dueler, think of fencing. Swords yes, but they don’t wear massive armor. IMHO I would love this option though, want a heavy shoulder piece on my norn.

P R I N C E | Best Renger EU
You can find me in PvP | I normally answer PMs

in Suggestions

Posted by: Teraphas.6210

Teraphas.6210

Plus devs have stated not likely to happen as they want players easily identifiable as to which weight class they are in by sight thus reducing you having to guess what class you may be facing

You can’t spell Slaughter without Laughter

in Suggestions

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

I understand everything you said, but the answer is Lore. An Elementalist studied the arcane arts, not to wear heavy armor. A mesmer is meant to be a dueler, think of fencing. Swords yes, but they don’t wear massive armor. IMHO I would love this option though, want a heavy shoulder piece on my norn.

Except, you never mentioned why they don’t wear heavy armor.

Hard to refute what you said when you didn’t state the reason why an elementalist or mesmer would not wear heavy armor.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in Suggestions

Swagg.9236

Plus devs have stated not likely to happen as they want players easily identifiable as to which weight class they are in by sight thus reducing you having to guess what class you may be facing

What?? I completely addressed that issue in my original post:

The only other issue that I could think of would be WvW-related. As of now, when selecting targets in WvW, players cannot instantly determine which profession their enemy is. Armor can help narrow down the possibilities, but it’s still not entirely certain. Cross-armor-class transmutation would completely throw this out the window. However, aside from the fact that any opening salvos or set-up would instantly reveal an opponent’s identity, we already have the feature in PvE where selecting a player will display that player’s profession icon next to their name. Just add that to WvW. Problem solved.

Something like “Oh, but you can’t tell which profession they are anymore” is a non-issue since Profession Icons next to a player’s name already exist in this game.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

because a cloth armour shouldnt look like its made out plate metal
and vice versa

in Suggestions

Swagg.9236

Lore. What a terrible excuse. And that’s not on you; I don’t want to shoot any messengers here. Using lore as an excuse for armor style restrictions is bad since it completely bottle-necks further style and lore development.

Also, why wouldn’t a d/d ele wear heavier armor? They’re pretty much a spell-brawler at the close-range at which they operate. Why wouldn’t an Engineer maybe don a heavy chest plate?

However, I do understand the worry that suddenly a bunch of nonsensical spell-casters would suddenly don spike-laden heavy armor in full abyss for a maximum edgy look just because CoF light or Arah light wasn’t good enough anymore. Even so, I just don’t understand the reasoning behind limiting cross-armor-class transmutation. I don’t understand it because there is no logical argument in the contrary.

Clipping? Is that an argument? It could be. It’s a terrible one, but I guess it is. I just don’t understand that if it IS an argument, why people wouldn’t just avoid cross-class armors that clip? There is no need to redesign armor across the classes so that they don’t clip with each other. People would just naturally avoid silly-looking combinations. More importantly, clipping is also a non-argument since there are several armors within the same armor class that already clip with themselves or other armors of the same class. Good going on that one.

in Suggestions

Swagg.9236

and vice versa

I don’t even know what you’re trying to argue here, and in any case it’s incredibly subjective.

in Suggestions

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I’m sorry but, the dev’s really need to get over this. I can’t even tell who’s who on a 50" plasma! Here’s my perspective right now in EB. I have no clue who they are except that they are charging to attack me. And, after looking closely, that’s a Charr coming at me. Not a lil spec on the screen Asura.

Being as controlling as Arenanet is, it’s just going to keep pushing players away.

Attachments:

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

and vice versa

I don’t even know what you’re trying to argue here, and in any case it’s incredibly subjective.

Is it now?
So you’re telling me, something like the heavy karma armour in Arah can pass off as a light armour, despite it being sooooo shiny i can see my face in and having all those spikes and such.

Not even silk is that reflective or sturdy enough to make spikes, friend. :|

(edited by Rizzy.8293)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jaxon.5392

Jaxon.5392

metal should interfere with spellcasting, accept it

heavy armour restricts the agile professions (think ranger sword and engineer throwing bombs, thief doing all their weird stuff)

It all makes sense

in Suggestions

Posted by: spconder.2489

spconder.2489

I could see exceptions being made for helms and shoulder pieces, since you can turn those off completely, anyway. (that and I really, really want an eyepatch for my Warrior.) Aside from that, no, it would start creating issues in WvW, for starters.

in Suggestions

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

Clipping? Is that an argument? It could be. It’s a terrible one, but I guess it is. I just don’t understand that if it IS an argument, why people wouldn’t just avoid cross-class armors that clip? There is no need to redesign armor across the classes so that they don’t clip with each other. People would just naturally avoid silly-looking combinations. More importantly, clipping is also a non-argument since there are several armors within the same armor class that already clip with themselves or other armors of the same class. Good going on that one.

Some ppl just want to TRY and make as ugly characters as possible it seems, Ever played Aion? tiny bodies with HUGE, or vice versa etc, were not a rare sight tbh. Looks beyond ugly, still ppl made that kind of characters. If ppl want to mkae that kind of characters, you can be sure there would be ppl trying to make armor sets that clip as much as possible

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

yes, a lot of other armors look good on some of my toons that can’t where them but lore seems like a valid excuse to me. Sword and board fighters wouldn’t be wearing full cloth in a world full of teeth and claws. Thieves wouldn’t be hopping around in heavy plate. And if magic in Tyria works the way it does in other fantasy universes, magic users need freedom of movement to cast spells and metal interfeers with casting. I don’t think it limits A-Net for future endevours because they probably have no intention of having fighters in cloth, etc. etc.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ibbuli.4027

Ibbuli.4027

IMO they should make some universal shoulder/gloves/helm/boot pieces which would fit all the armor classes by using the existing skins. Maybe using chest and leg parts is going a bit overboard.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

IMO they should make some universal shoulder/gloves/helm/boot pieces which would fit all the armor classes by using the existing skins. Maybe using chest and leg parts is going a bit overboard.

This would work. It would also be a work around to any coding issue by using the same skin on difrrent classes of armor.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Arkham Creed.7358

Arkham Creed.7358

Going to vote no on this one. I can see why it would be cool, but really it just doesn’t make any sense for some classes to wear the wrong kind of armor. For example I don’t think a warrior would try to tank while in a light silk robe, and how the heck is a thief supposed to sneak around while in heavy plate?

in Suggestions

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Sorry to see you getting bashed OP. I’m with you on having more choice! I’m seriously shaking my head at all this. To those replying, why blankly defend Arenanet? If a fellow player wants to use some different armor, why try to stifle them from asking?

First, the skins are going to merge or clip when mingling classes? They already do this within the same class already! When the preview was available across classes you could easily see which pieces would work together. Many of them do actually. I believe this is why the updated preview screen will not let you view pieces across classes. Because then you might actually see something you like and ask for it. Shameful they’d stoop to this really…

WvW, unless you play with the camera zoomed to near first person perspective, you cannot see what classes are heading toward you. I posted a screen cap to debunk this already. If you wanted to know which class was which, why not bark at the dev’s for removing the profession icon from targets? Or, didn’t you even notice it was removed in WvW?

For Lore and metal blocking magic casting. Well, if metal blocks magic, then why does my warrior still take damage from it? I should be impervious to magic, right? Better yet, if my warrior can run, dash , and twirl as she does, I think a simple twist of the wrist to cast a spell isn’t going to be obstructed. Especially when you consider a race can be any profession. Each person within the race has similar physical capacity.

All these discussion all boil down to a failure of design. Our characters should have had agility and speed factored into the armor equation. The lighter the faster, more agile, and less defense. Heavier having the inverse of slower, less agile, and more defense. Thus, it’ would then be our CHOICE to build an agile warrior or a sturdier Mesmer.

Pre-packaged, cookie cutter, looks and themes are not what I imagined this greatly hyped game design was going to be. I’ve barely scraped together one look that’s acceptable per class.

Btw…. I wish they’d bring Aion artists over into GW2 for a new zone. The game desperately needs some Life and Light brought into it.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

(edited by DeWolfe.2174)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Adamus.1287

Adamus.1287

There is no and i mean NO reason why you cant transmute across all armor weights. Lore? Sod off. Who cares about lore except RPers and more over, ive seen plenty of “light” armors that looked heaver then what ive been wearing on my warrior. As for coding being an issue, WRONG, for those that were not around or somehow dont remember, early on when you previewed gear, you could mix and match in the preview window ALL armor weights with each other and unless you matched something that would OBVIOUSLY clash big time then it came out all right alot of the time. Basically there is no real reason not to do it outside of pure laziness. Anet could even profit off of it by making it only possible with a new kind of transmutation stone.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Weirwynn.2390

Weirwynn.2390

Lore. What a terrible excuse. And that’s not on you; I don’t want to shoot any messengers here. Using lore as an excuse for armor style restrictions is bad since it completely bottle-necks further style and lore development.

Also, why wouldn’t a d/d ele wear heavier armor? They’re pretty much a spell-brawler at the close-range at which they operate. Why wouldn’t an Engineer maybe don a heavy chest plate?

However, I do understand the worry that suddenly a bunch of nonsensical spell-casters would suddenly don spike-laden heavy armor in full abyss for a maximum edgy look just because CoF light or Arah light wasn’t good enough anymore. Even so, I just don’t understand the reasoning behind limiting cross-armor-class transmutation. I don’t understand it because there is no logical argument in the contrary.

So basically there’s no answer you’ll accept, because you think being able to mix and match armor weights is more important than anything.

There are a multitude of reasons not to do so. Allowing players access to armors that clip would be a huge hit to the perceived quality of the game. Differing appearances between types give players a greater sense of identity. And yes, lore factors into many choices in the game, when appropriate.

Since you’re not going to listen to any of it though, in exchange, I feel justified in saying it’s not going to change, so “deal with it.”