DX11 Mode

DX11 Mode

in Suggestions

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

We need a DX11 mode for better performance and being able to use MSAA. GW2 uses deferred lightning so we cannot use MSAA with DX9. Deferred lighting + MSAA only works with DX11.
Currently I use FXAA + Supersampling + 25% Downsampling and it still looks worse than the anti aliasing I could use with GW1

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

DX11 Mode

in Suggestions

Posted by: Unpredictability.4086

Unpredictability.4086

There was a huge topic about this on Guru, you should look that up instead of rehash.

Suffice it to say, DX11 would require a LOT of additional coding so I don’t think it will ever happen. The game is based off a GW1 engine I believe which is why it’s DX9. Plus they don’t want to alienate XP users (they should get with the times anyways though).

DX11 Mode

in Suggestions

Posted by: elaphros.9813

elaphros.9813

The question isn’t whether DX11 would be hard to code, the question is why it wasn’t included in the first place.

Why would we even be considering a DX version lower than 10? 10 was released in 2006, how low end of a system should people have to have to use DX9? The last full version of DX9 was released in 2004, well before GW2 production was started. DX10 should have been the default, with a DX9 available as a fallback. GW2 production didn’t start until 2007, and they knew it would take years to complete. Take moores law into account, and this represents a bit of a botched job in planning ahead by ANET.

And telling people that this was already on Guru, is completely unhelpful. Not everyone trolls every other GW2 forum.

All that being said, the game is still gorgeous without DX10/11.

DX11 Mode

in Suggestions

Unpredictability.4086

Like I said, XP. XP doesn’t support higher than 9. And it was probably easier to start with DX9 since they had more experience. I’m not saying 11 wouldn’t be better., but those are just some reasons. And yes, i’m going to mention to a guru thread becuase if people have already talked about this thing before, why not read past discussions?

DX11 Mode

in Suggestions

Posted by: Treble.9378

Treble.9378

Like I said, XP. XP doesn’t support higher than 9. And it was probably easier to start with DX9 since they had more experience. I’m not saying 11 wouldn’t be better., but those are just some reasons. And yes, i’m going to mention to a guru thread becuase if people have already talked about this thing before, why not read past discussions?

I have no idea where this guru site is or where the thread it, and don’t care to go searching the internet for it.

Maybe provide a link next time if it’s so important?

The OP is right tho imo. No excuse for lacking DX11 in a 2012 mmo.

DX11 Mode

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nekroseth.5186

Nekroseth.5186

I also agree with dx11. I would love it.

DX11 Mode

in Suggestions

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

They did say " We will be evaluating supporting DX11 post launch. ~RB2 "

(edited by Caedmon.6798)

DX11 Mode

in Suggestions

Posted by: Handies.7602

Handies.7602

There was a huge topic about this on Guru, you should look that up instead of rehash.

Suffice it to say, DX11 would require a LOT of additional coding so I don’t think it will ever happen. The game is based off a GW1 engine I believe which is why it’s DX9. Plus they don’t want to alienate XP users (they should get with the times anyways though).

Wow has a turn on Dx11 mode. So it is not like they would hinder others when they can just have a box to check in game..

DX11 Mode

in Suggestions

Posted by: DavidGX.1723

DavidGX.1723

It would be very nice, if only for the multi-threaded rendering that DX11 supports.

DX11 Mode

in Suggestions

Malediktus.9250

They did say " We will be evaluating supporting DX11 post launch. ~RB2 "

long time ago they already promised DX10 at launch (when DX11 wasnt out yet). Looks like it didnt happen.

And I dont care how much effort adding DX11 is, I would pay 2000+ gems for it for sure if implemented well.

DX11 Mode

in Suggestions

Posted by: Angelus.1042

Angelus.1042

Id like to see a 64 bit client as well

DX11 Mode

in Suggestions

Posted by: Willowleaf.5721

Willowleaf.5721

I’m in for DirectX 11 too.

Also more support for ATI cards, it’s pretty annoying to see those NVidia features that I cannot use. There are still bugs with ATI cards that are not fixed.

Necro (LV 80), thief, ele, guardian, engineer, revenant, ranger.

DX11 Mode

in Suggestions

Posted by: Grammarye.3064

Grammarye.3064

I’m in for DirectX 11 too.

Also more support for ATI cards, it’s pretty annoying to see those NVidia features that I cannot use. There are still bugs with ATI cards that are not fixed.

And thus we see the classic gamer problem – ‘I want X, but I also want Y’.

Game development is a finite resource. Any time spent on any feature is time not spent on something else (and please, dear readers, do not suggest anything so stupid as throwing more money/people at the problem – development doesn’t work like that, never has, never will).

Sure, DX11 would be lovely, but so would any amount of improvements & fixes. Is it critical to the state of the game? No. Is it vital to players? No. Should it be a higher priority than fixing actual performance issues in the graphics of the client & bugs therein? No.

A 64-bit client, by comparison, would be as trivial as flipping a switch (because that’s all it is in a compiler), unless there’s some third party library they’re dependent on.

Edit: As for DX10, practically nobody codes for it. It’s just not worth the extra effort. DX9 & 11 are the defacto standards now.

If you haven’t pressed Call Target at least once today, please go press it now.

(edited by Grammarye.3064)

DX11 Mode

in Suggestions

Unpredictability.4086

I have no idea where this guru site is or where the thread it, and don’t care to go searching the internet for it.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/47480-official-update-on-dx11-support

That entire topic goes over the gamut of everything.

(edited by Unpredictability.4086)

DX11 Mode

in Suggestions

Posted by: Willowleaf.5721

Willowleaf.5721

Considering that since very recently there are more people on Windows 7 than on XP, it’d be great to get more focus on those on Windows 7 with directX 11.

Necro (LV 80), thief, ele, guardian, engineer, revenant, ranger.

DX11 Mode

in Suggestions

Malediktus.9250

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/ 47.7% of the gamers got DX11 GPUs and its downwards compatible.

DX11 Mode

in Suggestions

Posted by: BernardBlack.4871

BernardBlack.4871

I wouldn’t say it would never happen, they could already have had something going while in development. In any case, both WOW and GW1 have the ability to toggle between certain DX versions. I don’t see why the same couldn’t happen with GW2. Wow, right now, although designed for DX8, is sporting some DX11 features, like DX11 water rendering. Direct X 9 wasn’t included in WOW until 2010? And was only available via a code path at the time, much like GW1. If you wanted to run GW1 via DX9, you had to type a path in the target line of the shortcut.

(edited by Moderator)

DX11 Mode

in Suggestions

Posted by: BernardBlack.4871

BernardBlack.4871

They design MMO’s particularly WOW, to be upgraded easily, and while, yes DX is more of an overhaul than it is a mere upgrade, they will still go through the work for the masses of players that are participating, and as more people start to adopt configurations that were maybe not as widely used when the game was first released.