Daily Achievements should reset midnight "local time"

in Suggestions

Posted by: Diva.4706

Diva.4706

My wife and I are having a great time playing Guild Wars 2. We are both working full time so our play time is limited to a few hours in the evening.

One issue we have run into is the 8PM EST reset time on Daily Achievements. When we get home from work, we have limited time to get these done before the 8PM reset. Trying to do the Daily Achievements after the 8pm reset isn’t always convenient either, because the reset time is right in the middle of our normal playtime.

I know completing dailies is optional, but if the reset time was later in the evening then we wouldn’t feel so “rushed” to log in as soon as we get home. I feel the Daily Achievement reward should be for playing every day, not for playing at a set time.

A “local” reset time of midnight, would be an awesome solution to this issue, and would move the rest window out of prime-time for the East coast.

Thanks for the amazing game you have created – we plan on playing this for a long time

in Suggestions

Posted by: gimmethegepgun.1284

gimmethegepgun.1284

And yet a sizeable portion of gamers play during the night, and would run into the same problems with a midnight reset as you do with an 8PM.
The BEST option would be if it picked a time that you rarely play at to reset, but that would be time-consuming and costly to program.

in Suggestions

Posted by: gimmethegepgun.1284

gimmethegepgun.1284

Or really, let us set a time for it to reset.
Make it a week’s wait between changes or whatever, or make it so if you changed it you still have to wait until the original time to pass before it resets (meaning it will always take 24 hours or more to reset) to eliminate abuse.

in Suggestions

Posted by: doxxx.9206

doxxx.9206

Agreed. The reset in the middle of the evening, prime playing time, is rather awkward.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Marsh.7214

Marsh.7214

Resetting at midnight local time (for wherever your located) makes the most sense. If that’s not possible why not have them reset at midnight seattle time, the same time they do game updates.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Esteray.5892

Esteray.5892

And yet a sizeable portion of gamers play during the night, and would run into the same problems with a midnight reset as you do with an 8PM.
The BEST option would be if it picked a time that you rarely play at to reset, but that would be time-consuming and costly to program.

^This
Make the reset occur during an obscure off peak hour (local time ofc) such as 1-3:00am
That way, we’ll appease the majority of players.

However, some people will no doubt have abnormal shifts during the night and day, and this might be their prime time, but you cannot please everyone.

“That’s What”
-She

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shael.4703

Shael.4703

I thought the reset is happening 12mn PST. If it is 8pm EST then it’s 4pm PST correct? (I don’t live in the US if that isn’t obvious :p )

Hmm… so that mean it resets on our end 8am ACT (Asean Common Time)

My blog/sites: gameshogun & Tomes of Knowledge

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shael.4703

Shael.4703

Well, the sad thing here is that, you guys are not the only customers of Guild Wars 2. If they changes the reset to favor you, all of us are going to request the same thing.

So to be safe, better not change it, lest they receive tons and tons of tickets requesting that it happen 12mn their local time.

My blog/sites: gameshogun & Tomes of Knowledge

in Suggestions

Posted by: XDeadzX.2581

XDeadzX.2581

Or really, let us set a time for it to reset.
Make it a week’s wait between changes or whatever, or make it so if you changed it you still have to wait until the original time to pass before it resets (meaning it will always take 24 hours or more to reset) to eliminate abuse.

^ This. Manual choice = please everyone. While it will cause a slight little increase in server load, it’s really nothing that can’t be managed by a single database.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Drudenfusz.2971

Drudenfusz.2971

As European the reset is for me in the middle of the night…

Gwenya Drudenfusz [Boon], Norn Mesmer on Desolation

in Suggestions

Diva.4706

What I am asking for is a “local” reset time that is not in prime-time. I understand that some people play at odd hours, but most people will play in the evening hours. A reset anywhere between midnight and 4AM local, seems fair. An 8PM reset is not a good time.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nodd.6017

Nodd.6017

Or set the reset something like 18 hours after the last completion. This was i’s not possible to make more than one completion per day, but completing it can be as long as we want.

But off peak hour for a server is the best time, I think.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Drol.8423

Drol.8423

Surely it evens out after the first day?
e.g. you start playing at 7pm, 1 hour towards daily – then reset – then play until 9pm, 1 hour into the next daily.
When you log on tomorrow, you will already have one hour of that daily done, meaning by 8pm you have your 2 hours of daily done.

So it all evens out right?

in Suggestions

Diva.4706

e.g. you start playing at 7pm, 1 hour towards daily – then reset – then play until 9pm, 1 hour into the next daily.
When you log on tomorrow, you will already have one hour of that daily done, meaning by 8pm you have your 2 hours of daily done.

This is the issue. To finish today’s daily, that I may have started yesterday, I HAVE to log in well before 8PM to finish them. My point is I don’t want the game setting my play time. My brother lives in the UK, his reset is in the middle of the night, so it does not effect his play time at all.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Turek.7658

Turek.7658

I thought I should point out that this would require code to determine the clients location, pick the best time, then use that time. Doing it server side saves them lots of extra calculations and in terms of it being an mmo… doing more work is generally what can impact servers. (I’m not saying it is impossible though!) Simply, work. There are bigger fish to fry, but I’m sure they’ll address this eventually.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nkrisc.7408

Nkrisc.7408

What I am asking for is a “local” reset time that is not in prime-time. I understand that some people play at odd hours, but most people will play in the evening hours. A reset anywhere between midnight and 4AM local, seems fair. An 8PM reset is not a good time.

A better solution is daily achievements simply do not reset, but instead can only be completed once per 24 hours and do not accumulate credit once completed for another 24 hours.

in Suggestions

Posted by: dux.8720

dux.8720

they reset in the time i play, but they get solved on the way. so it’s mostly irrelevant when they reset.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Drol.8423

Drol.8423

This is the issue. To finish today’s daily, that I may have started yesterday, I HAVE to log in well before 8PM to finish them. My point is I don’t want the game setting my play time. My brother lives in the UK, his reset is in the middle of the night, so it does not effect his play time at all.

Well i still don’t understand why you have to alter your play times, if you play for 2 hours, you get those 2 hours regardless of how it is split. If you logged in for 5 mins, logged out for 5 mins, rinse repeat until you had 2 hours play time total, it would be equal to 2 hours in one sitting.
So can you explain why you have to log in early to finish? If what you’re saying is true, then even without a reset you wouldn’t complete your daily with the game time you have normally. By logging in ealry, you are extending your game hours.
If you log in at the same time every day and the reset is the same time every day, it will ultimately even out.
I’ll try to make a sort of diagram thing:
P = 1 hour play, R = Reset.
So, Day 1= P R P
Day 2 = P R P
Day 3 = P R P
String those 3 days together and you get P R P P R P P R P
So you are getting 2 hours between resets to complete your daily. By logging in early you are only showing that you don’t play long enough to do them anyway, so if the reset was changed, you’d end up playing later than you mormally would into the night.

in Suggestions

Posted by: cosmatman.9306

cosmatman.9306

A better solution is daily achievements simply do not reset, but instead can only be completed once per 24 hours and do not accumulate credit once completed for another 24 hours.

This would be an easier solution then having it reset according to every persons local time.

-The hardest solution will have the best effect

-The easiest solution may end up repeatedly inconveniencing the same group of players based on their time of play

-The ‘compromise’ solution may inconvenience those that only play a few hours every day

The compromise solution would still be easy to implement, you just have to give dailies a timer of their own. But i dont think it should be a true 24 hour timer. For those people that play for example 2 hours every day at the same time, the 24 hour timer might force them to wait a few minutes for certain things. The wait would come as a result of them doing things a little to fast in some places. One day it might take them 20 minutes to accomplish a task, but the next day it might only take them 15 minutes. And when that happens they have to wait 5 minutes while the timer runs out. To not inconvenience these types of players a daily reset timer of say 20-22 hours might best.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaz.5430

Kaz.5430

If the reset currently occurs at 8pm EST that’s midnight UTC (Coordinated Universal Time), which is the international standard time used for most internet standards.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time

As long as the time reset occurs at the same time every day, then it should have no impact on regular play at all. If it falls somewhere in the middle of your normal play it just means you’ll get the daily rewards earlier in the process, after finishing what you started the day before.

It actually could give you an advantage to have the timer reset half-way through your daily play. If you wish to play every other day (or know you cant log in the next day), you could log in, do enough to get the daily, wait for the reset, do enough to get the next daily, log out.

Monarchy - 15 year old browser-based game and roleplay community
Table Warfare Miniatures - Armatures, Custom Miniatures, Moulds etc.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Teraphas.6210

Teraphas.6210

i would personally just dig a timer(toggle of course) that you can put over the progress bar so you can see at a glance how much time you have to complete/until it resets.

You can’t spell Slaughter without Laughter

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tenicord.9803

Tenicord.9803

well i thought it was cool how they have it because you could get it twice in one evening of gaming.

“Our Time Is Now”
Waylon- lvl 80 Guardian
Trism – lvl 80 Engineer

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rhase.2047

Rhase.2047

This. Very much THIS. Consider me signing this … I rarely EVER get the daily because it resets at 8pm my time …. by the time I get home from work and get around to playing, I will be nearly done with the daily and it resets; usually I only get close if I keep going on “progress” from the night before. It is very frustrating and makes no logical form of sense. Every other MMO the dailies reset at some obscure hour in the morning when nobody really SHOULD be playing anyway, haha. 8pm is smack dab in the middle of prime time _

Edit: the issue is, I don’t always play every night, so my progress from nights before doesn’t “carry over” conveniently, as people suggest it does. That would be fine if I had time to play every day but I do not! haha

(edited by Rhase.2047)