Dead men tell no tales

Dead men tell no tales

in Suggestions

Posted by: Equinox.4968

Equinox.4968

I’ve had this idea for a while, but the recent patch and its “destroy enemy scrap” mechanic has made it seem more plausible than ever.

In WVW, dead players can potentially “scout” for their server beyond the grave because bodies remain in the same place they fell until the player idles out or revives. This seems somewhat unfair; in reality, dead soldiers are simply dead and not potentially a benefit to their team. So why not have a “burn body” mechanic to force the dead player into a black screen? It could be like finishing a downed player, but would require a much longer time to activate (say, 15 seconds), and any damage would interrupt it. This would make it a function that would only be useful in cleaning up a battlefield after the battle is over, much like in real life where soldiers would burn or bury corpses after a battle had been won. Realism AND utility!

Dead men tell no tales

in Suggestions

Posted by: g e o.2589

g e o.2589

BURN THEM ALL! BURN THEM ALL! Yes i agree with you, the secrets die with the owner. This would make it much more fun, if the body is burned player will revive at base waypoint, if not then player may go to any waypoint that is available to him.

Dead men tell no tales

in Suggestions

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

This.. To be honest, that’s probably one of those things people will suddenly start doing now that you mentioned it xD

I ? Karkas.

Dead men tell no tales

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nero.8047

Nero.8047

I do agree that this would be a fun addition to WvW. Maybe give it an achievement and title as well?

I wonder wether this will be a:

‘’kneel @ target player and set on fire after 1 / 1.5 secs’’

or a more instant:

‘’press ’’F’’ to burn this invader’s remains’’ and then you’d just be able to spamm it for title progress or anything else after clearing a zerg.

I think the first option is best since it allows multiple people fair chances at burning corpses. We should be able to share our enemies’ corpses, not just claim them all for ourselves!

Paragon of the Seraphim Order [Ankh]
a small, casual Guild with a play as you want style.

Dead men tell no tales

in Suggestions

Equinox.4968

Maybe just make it like a revive bar so that people can contribute and make it happen faster, but it would reset entirely if certain conditions were met (we don’t want burnings to happen in the middle of a fight, just at the end when you’re cleaning up).

Dead men tell no tales

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nero.8047

Nero.8047

@ Equinox

I love your idea with the same system as the reviving and for the non burning during combat how about it being easily interruptible? one hit and you’ll have to start over. (and of course only when out of combat)

Paragon of the Seraphim Order [Ankh]
a small, casual Guild with a play as you want style.

Dead men tell no tales

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jovel.5706

Jovel.5706

That sounds really good I like that idea

Dead men tell no tales

in Suggestions

Posted by: yandere.9176

yandere.9176

No you fools I want them alive!

But on a serious note that is pretty awesome.

Desolation – Mistress of significance level

Dead men tell no tales

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nevarato.3178

Nevarato.3178

I support this, sounds good.

Dead men tell no tales

in Suggestions

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

No burning. Not scary enough for the spy. Just equip a shovel and bury them so they can see their screen darken shovelful by shovelful.

Theftwind (HoD)

Dead men tell no tales

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bismuth.3165

Bismuth.3165

lol, that would be awesome, and they should make a title for burning a thousand bodies.

Jeeha (ele) and Jeeha The Warrior
Is currently emotionally unstable because Breaking Bad is over

Dead men tell no tales

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gabby.3205

Gabby.3205

No burning. Not scary enough for the spy. Just equip a shovel and bury them so they can see their screen darken shovelful by shovelful.

I would totally call a bunch of roleplayer friends and we would stand there, next to the spy’s “grave”, using /cry.

Like when we formed a circle around one spy and started telling campfire stories.

Wait, the burning idea sounds cool, now that I think about it. I could turn a spy into a campfire next time!

Tarnished Coast
Astrid Strongheart, Norn Ranger.
“I wish juvenile wolves were bigger”

Dead men tell no tales

in Suggestions

Equinox.4968

The main problem for implementation is to find a way to make it so that the battle pretty much has to be COMPLETELY over for it to work.

Dead men tell no tales

in Suggestions

Posted by: Faranox.4217

Faranox.4217

Practicality aside, this would be fun.

Chops Mcgee, of Anvil Rock

Dead men tell no tales

in Suggestions

Equinox.4968

Practicality aside, this would be fun.

Any ideas on how to make it practical? I know I made the initial suggestion, but since people think it would be an interesting addition, by all means let me know how it could be implemented.

Dead men tell no tales

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I prefer the suggestion from quite a long time ago that would force any enemy corpses within a secured facility to respawn at their home base once the engagement ended. So if you take a keep, when you’ve claimed the keep and then pushed back any counter attack events all corpses from the previous owner, or whoever get forced to respawn, no accepting or anything, they just respawn. If someone comes to take your keep and you push them back, when the event finished anyone who was inside the keep respawns whether they want to or not. If they’re outside they stay there, but if they’re inside they go away.

That aside, burning bodies could be fun.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Dead men tell no tales

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sinifair.1026

Sinifair.1026

I don’t really do WvW, but I can see how your idea would be great.
+1 from me.

Dead men tell no tales

in Suggestions

Equinox.4968

I prefer the suggestion from quite a long time ago that would force any enemy corpses within a secured facility to respawn at their home base once the engagement ended. So if you take a keep, when you’ve claimed the keep and then pushed back any counter attack events all corpses from the previous owner, or whoever get forced to respawn, no accepting or anything, they just respawn. If someone comes to take your keep and you push them back, when the event finished anyone who was inside the keep respawns whether they want to or not. If they’re outside they stay there, but if they’re inside they go away.

That aside, burning bodies could be fun.

I agree, but I think it shouldn’t be limited to just conquered buildings. Battles can happen in a lot of places, but regardless of what happens, enemy players shouldn’t be allowed to “scout.”

Dead men tell no tales

in Suggestions

Posted by: Septemptus.7164

Septemptus.7164

I do agree that this would be a fun addition to WvW. Maybe give it an achievement and title as well?

I wonder wether this will be a:

‘’kneel @ target player and set on fire after 1 / 1.5 secs’’

or a more instant:

‘’press ’’F’’ to burn this invader’s remains’’ and then you’d just be able to spamm it for title progress or anything else after clearing a zerg.

I think the first option is best since it allows multiple people fair chances at burning corpses. We should be able to share our enemies’ corpses, not just claim them all for ourselves!

+1
I love the idea and I sure hope they will fix this corpse scouting.

I know people who do that and that’s just so wrong…

Dead men tell no tales

in Suggestions

Posted by: Faranox.4217

Faranox.4217

I think an ideal solution would be for stomped players to instantly rez at their primary waypoint. This will eliminate stomped players getting zerg rez’d and scouting.

The only negative I could see would be players who die from falling damage. It would suck to fall off a cliff and die only to be teleported when there’s someone right there who could rez you.

Chops Mcgee, of Anvil Rock

Dead men tell no tales

in Suggestions

Posted by: Psycho Robot.7835

Psycho Robot.7835

How about when there are no allied players nearby for 5 consecutive seconds, you’re taken to the map screen to rally, but you can’t close it out to go back to spectating.

Dead men tell no tales

in Suggestions

Equinox.4968

I’m not too keen on the automatic transfer back to base. I think that you should have the option to burn bodies, but if you don’t then any scouting the dead players do is your own fault. It also wouldn’t be fair for people out on their own or in small parties not to be allowed a rez from death by players who are on their way or in the area and show up 30 seconds later in a remote part of the map.

Dead men tell no tales

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

I think the part about preventing corpse scouting is a good idea. Burn the corpse = corpse player’s screen goes black.

The two obvious exceptions should be the world map and mini map. The world map should be an exception because the player needs to be able to wp, and the mini map should be another exception so the defeated player can see if friendly forces are nearby to resurrect.

I don’t think it should automatically send the player back to spawn, and they should be rez-able if their team can get to them. The places where players can be rezzed through walls and other obstructions just need to be fixed. Right now, exploiting those spots is part of the WvW meta.

Dead men tell no tales

in Suggestions

Posted by: myenchantedlife.3729

myenchantedlife.3729

Practical, fun and a chance at more achievement points? +1

But I do agree that auto porting is not great, especially if allies are close by and could rez you. Just going to a map view to prevent scouting would solve the problem of scouts and let people see if allies have a chance to get them… would probably need to see chat as well so they could see if they were rezzable (there might be a battle raging beyond their view) or if the commander wants them to WP and run back, etc.

Vellerana, Guild Leader
Hedonism on Ferguson’s Crossing
Web Site: http://hedo.guildportal.com

(edited by myenchantedlife.3729)

Dead men tell no tales

in Suggestions

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Pointless idea to me and just a waste of ressources as it has nothing that improves the game in overall..

its in the end jiust only a cheap gimmick feature for a few lols and then its boring when you’ve seen it a few times…
Despite the fact that you need first some dead enemies, that are willing to stay long enough to let you burn/bury them at all and not just instantly warp back to the base…

its not worth all of the effort for just a few “spies” to implement something like that.
how often do you really see in WVW people stay dead somewhere extra to see, what the enemy is doing after the battle is over???
Most spies do this if at all only to see, into which direction a large zerg is moving to warn others that trouble is coming in a few seconds on its way…

A much easier solution would it be, if a killed player just simple gets instantly warped back into base if there is no try of reviving that player within say for example 15 seconds after death and that solution would be also much better for the game in general, especially in huge zerg battles with alot of dead bodies…

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Dead men tell no tales

in Suggestions

Psycho Robot.7835

If you think burning bodies is the solution, then why not change the title of the thread to “Dead men tell no tales but only if they are burned in a lengthy, interruptable process, otherwise they sing like canaries”

Dead men tell no tales

in Suggestions

Equinox.4968

its not worth all of the effort for just a few “spies” to implement something like that.
how often do you really see in WVW people stay dead somewhere extra to see, what the enemy is doing after the battle is over???
Most spies do this if at all only to see, into which direction a large zerg is moving to warn others that trouble is coming in a few seconds on its way…

I see it happen all the time. Being dead provides the perfect opportunity to take your hands off of the controls and start typing information about enemy movements. It’s kind of ridiculous that dead players should be able to provide more information while dead than simply “I got killed by X number of players in Y area.”

A much easier solution would it be, if a killed player just simple gets instantly warped back into base if there is no try of reviving that player within say for example 15 seconds after death and that solution would be also much better for the game in general, especially in huge zerg battles with alot of dead bodies…

Completely arbitrary time limit. What if someone shows up 16 seconds later because the dead player asked for help and it took them that extra second to show up? If it was 30 seconds, what about that 31st second? No, the burden should be on the team that killed the player to get rid of his/her body.

Dead men tell no tales

in Suggestions

Equinox.4968

If you think burning bodies is the solution, then why not change the title of the thread to “Dead men tell no tales but only if they are burned in a lengthy, interruptable process, otherwise they sing like canaries”

So titles have to be perfectly informative and explain in detail what the thread is about so that people don’t have to read the actual content of the first post? It was a catchy title that describes the gist of my idea, nothing more.

Dead men tell no tales

in Suggestions

Psycho Robot.7835

It just seems like the burning body mechanic puts the onus on the enemy team too much. Why should they have to worry about you after they killed you? When you’re dead, you should tell no tales, no matter what.

Dead men tell no tales

in Suggestions

Equinox.4968

It just seems like the burning body mechanic puts the onus on the enemy team too much. Why should they have to worry about you after they killed you? When you’re dead, you should tell no tales, no matter what.

Yes, but we also have to balance it with how the rez system works. And putting a time limit on it seems rather arbitrary.

Also consider that in real life, the burden of disposing of enemy corpses was on the victorious army; if they didn’t take care of all those bodies in a short time, disease and pests would cause major problems. I’m not saying GW2 should follow real life and all that (it’s a game, and it doesn’t have to reflect every aspect of reality), but I do think the burden should be on the victors. If they want to risk people spying on them, let them do so, but give them the option to prevent dead players from being assets to the other side.

Dead men tell no tales

in Suggestions

Posted by: LaoShin.2986

LaoShin.2986

To be cruel, instead of burning or burying, the effect could be the map would be clear like a “Hide All Players/Player Names” and the dead player would only see a complete Keep or Tower (if they died in or near one) they would not be able to see anything (Not even NPC’s or Mobs)..all they would see is the loot bags they did not get when they died.

Call it “Displaced Soul”

Dead men tell no tales

in Suggestions

Psycho Robot.7835

Yes but the burden of disposing corpses wasn’t to prevent them from sending messages to their living companions. The problem you’re trying to solve is dead players acting as scouts that the enemy can’t control, yes? If so, requiring the enemy to deal with them isn’t a good step. Just make it so dead players can’t leave the map once there are no other allied players nearby. If someone starts resing them, they see the “a noble soul is healing you” and at that point you can leave the map. Problem solved.

Dead men tell no tales

in Suggestions

Posted by: SirWarriant.2319

SirWarriant.2319

add an option for bodies to stay for longer that would be awesome

Ullr Thorgislwulf: 80 Ranger Yaks Bend sPvP & WvW
Eladan of Greenwood: 80 Ranger
Elemir Swiftblade: 80 Thief

Dead men tell no tales

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Simpler solution would just to make defeated players screen black in WvW. Map screen and menus would work, but other than that it would be just the shadow of death for you, pal.

One – Piken Square

Dead men tell no tales

in Suggestions

Equinox.4968

To be cruel, instead of burning or burying, the effect could be the map would be clear like a “Hide All Players/Player Names” and the dead player would only see a complete Keep or Tower (if they died in or near one) they would not be able to see anything (Not even NPC’s or Mobs)..all they would see is the loot bags they did not get when they died.

Call it “Displaced Soul”

Simpler solution would just to make defeated players screen black in WvW. Map screen and menus would work, but other than that it would be just the shadow of death for you, pal.

Either of those would work too, even if there was no player action necessary to make it that way. I don’t see how it would be that difficult for Anet to implement something like that.