"Defend your Home" single-encounter dungeon

in Suggestions

Posted by: DreamOfACure.4382

DreamOfACure.4382

Because I would like to see that home instance thing put to use beyond Personal Story.

Basic Points

1. The dungeon scales difficulty from 1 to 5 players (Solo-friendly and group-friendly too)
  2. It can only be entered after you’ve completed the Personal Story
  3. Diminishing returns apply to it like any other dungeon. (So, it’s not farmable)
  4. Only once chance per fight-
    -If your entire party is defeated, a cutscene will occur and your party will be removed from the dungeon.
    Diminishing returns won’t be applied, but you’ll have to wait a while before you can challenge that particular boss again. This solidifies the feeling of defeat and separates the experience from the usual ‘res and try again’ style of normal dungeons.

The Set Up

When you enter for the dungeon, you and your group gather in front of your NPC friends and they greet you.
An enemy appears and you must defeat it, or an ally appears and offers to spar with you.

Potential Enemies

• A Dragon Champion (weaker then average)
  • Faolain
  • Kudu
  • Gaheron’s ghost
  • An Eye/Mouth of Zhaitan (obviously there for revenge)

Potential Allies to Spar

• Logan
  • Rytlock
  • Zojja and Mr. Sparkles (together)
  • Trahearne (I know you all would play just to get a crack at him~)

Finer Details

-Each boss would have at least slightly distinctive and different mechanics to keep the fight fresh.

-They would all have mechanics to keep players from just sitting and auto-attacking like… deadly AoEs, classic pull+KO combos, teleports, etc..

Some enemies/allies would be unique to a city. Examples below:

Divinity’s Reach

• Countess Anise

Black Citadel

• King Adelburn (with new combat style compared to AC Story)

The Grove

• The Pale Tree (spar with the mother tree!)

The fights would be designed to be tougher then normal dungeons since there isn’t anything standing between you and the “end boss”

The random encounters would keeping it fresh and fun, and give players a reason to gather at the five major cities.

If there are tokens being rewarded (idk if that’s necessary), any sort of reward vendor should be in the respective major city, not in Lion’s Arch.
Possibly make Cultural Armor vendors sell their gear for either gold or the new home-instance reward tokens.

To sum it up, it’d be like an arcade game.
Go in, exchange some witty banter, fight a random but familiar boss, win/lose, get out.

“Bleeding, Poison, Confusion, Torment, they all look delightful on you.”

Lv80s: Guard, Thief, Necro. Renewed my Altaholic’s card on the HoT Hype-Train. Choo choo~

(edited by DreamOfACure.4382)

in Suggestions

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

I don’t think plot characters would be a good idea, but it’s a good idea in general, having something, ANYTHING in home instance is good.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

in Suggestions

Posted by: FacesOfMu.3561

FacesOfMu.3561

This is a really cute idea! It reminds me a lot of that arena fight you can do in GW1 in the far north shiverpeaks. Sweet idea, Dream! :p

People vary.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

This idea is very appealing to me. I do like the idea of tokens and then the addition of city specific items. Using it for cultural armor would be cool as well as the addition of some city specific items.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

in Suggestions

DreamOfACure.4382

I don’t think plot characters would be a good idea

Can you elaborate on that?

The general idea is that this is entirely post-Personal_Story content.
The kind of thing that would happen after the end of a story and before the start of the next one. So, there’s no conflict with the plot.

Plus… I think everyone would like to see the Destiny’s Edge characters in true fighting form. PS instances and Story Dungeons always dumb them down to keep the encounter challenging…

Lv80s: Guard, Thief, Necro. Renewed my Altaholic’s card on the HoT Hype-Train. Choo choo~

in Suggestions

Posted by: darkar necrosphere.1328

darkar necrosphere.1328

Well for this to work the enemies would either have to be someone from your story gone rouge or back for revenge, say like Tybalt, or an organisation or evil worth taking Zaitans place as the great threat to Tyria, which would then continue out from the dungeon in thier own new area like the karkata.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

Well for this to work the enemies would either have to be someone from your story gone rouge or back for revenge, say like Tybalt, or an organisation or evil worth taking Zaitans place as the great threat to Tyria, which would then continue out from the dungeon in thier own new area like the karkata.

a little OT, something similar happened to me in the open world, i joined the order of whisper, rescued denmi and in harathi hinterland suddenly a random encounter with a champion wiped me. it was an hitman or a simple mercenary of the minister that wanted me dead for saving denmi from his grasp.
unfortunatelly he succeded i was alone and totally unprepared and this never happened again (never happened with the other toon joined to the priory).
i was amazingly surprised, i still think about it sometimes!

also in sparkfly fen or maybe bloodtide coast a risen addressed to me saying we will make you join with tibald.
i had to stop and kill the thing for even dare to nominate tibald in vain

i wish it could happen again i wish similar stories could be random in the open world (linked to your personal story) or even in an istance like the op suggested, but just the sparring is not my type of fun… i need a story to be told to be happy, and i could be happy even without a fight.

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

in Suggestions

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Well you can’t really defend your home against someone that can’t come back later. This will be repeatable right ?

I don’t like the sparring idea, but home instance invasions/defense sounds good

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

in Suggestions

DreamOfACure.4382

The encounter isn’t really meant to progress the story.
More like one of those “in times of peace” occurrences where a bad guy shows up to cause a smaller-scale ruckus and it’s up to a local hero to stop them.

So they don’t need to be equal to Zhaitan.

The mood would be more “team rocket”-ish. Like “Oooo, look, a bad guy. -fighting happens- Oh, something exploded and now their gone.”

Well you can’t really defend your home against someone that can’t come back later. This will be repeatable right ?

I don’t like the sparring idea, but home instance invasions/defense sounds good

Who can’t come back? All the potential opponents I listed are characters who alive or recurring; it’s perfectly possible for there to be a few eyes of zhaitan still floating around.

And if you don’t like something, explain why. Just saying “I don’t like it” doesn’t help.

(edited by DreamOfACure.4382)

in Suggestions

Posted by: darkar necrosphere.1328

darkar necrosphere.1328

Well wouldnt the eyes of zaitan have turned off basically since they were magically conected controlled eyes? Also im not saying the new enemy has to be like the next elder dragon, i dont care how op you are if one was at your home there wouldnt be much you could do but damage controll so i woulndt suggest that level of threat. But what im sugesting is atleast a personal or serious threat that means something maybe more then just in this one encounter.

in Suggestions

DreamOfACure.4382

Well wouldnt the eyes of zaitan have turned off basically since they were magically conected controlled eyes?

The same goes for the Risen, but they’re still kicking around…

what im sugesting is atleast a personal or serious threat that means something maybe more then just in this one encounter.

An Eye of Zhaitan without any of the Pact or Destiny’s edge around to help is pretty serious to me. And any of the villian characters I listed are just as threatening.

Anything more threatening would be edging on a story-development and that’s not the focus of this idea. This is just meant to give players something to play / reminisce after they’ve completed the story and whenever they get bored of the other things in the world.

Which brings to mind:
-The enemies would change with each expansion after players have completed new storylins (presuming ANet plans to releasing additional Personal Stories)
-The allies would remain, unless they die in the story or something