Different weapon style/discipline (not new weapons)

in Suggestions

Posted by: incisorr.9502

incisorr.9502

Instead of adding new weapons like you’re probably planning and im hearing.(Weapons that nobody will have and everyone will have to buy, and that you’ll have to farm legendaries from the scratch and that’ll mean all ur work so far is worthless.) Arena Net should go smart about this and add new styles for existing weapons

For example for sword warrior you can have like the normal style that we have now, and a 2nd style called berserker or ninja or whatever, or sword master controller etc , the name doesn’t really matter, its only a style which you can change (on a npc or just from your inventory even better) and then you get access to entirely new skills with new animations. This way if i wanna play a warrior with hard damage instead bleed damage on sword, i can actually do it.
You can even make the default weapon-hold animation change, for better effects and so enemies can recognize ur stance/style just from it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

There are a number of reasons this is a bad idea, and a few that make it good. But, the bad far outweigh the good.

#1: Multiple weapon skill sets for a single weapon would become convoluted and hard to balance, especially in regards to one handed and dual wield weapons, but also in two handers. A sword/shield warrior with good defense being able to dish out hard damage spikes? A longbow ranger being able to dish out the same condition damage as a shortbow ranger, from a significantly greater distance on a significantly more powerful weapon?

#2: How would you regulate swapping of styles? Say I’m a thief, with multiple weapon sets, and the ability to swap styles too. Now, I can go dagger/dagger, do some burst damage with Backstab, then swap styles to a more control/defense oriented dagger/dagger thief, then swap weapons to pistols, get some bleeding and vulnerability on you, swap styles to a massive pistol damage spike, then swap back to dagger/dagger and backstab? Essentially having four in combat weapon sets.

#3: New weapons are a good idea. Let’s face it, I want to have a greataxe wielding beastmaster ranger, executioner necromancer, barbarian warrior etc... I want to have my mesmer and elementalist throw spears on land like the paragons of old, only enchanted with magic. I want a stealthy saboteur engineer with a crossbow sneaking into bandit camps and setting up, then sniping their leader and watching the rest charge right into the landmines looking for the shooter.

#4: You won’t have to buy new weapons and farm new legendary ones, unless you’re already unhappy with what you’ve got. And if you’re already unhappy with it, why fight the solution, am I right?

How far that little candle throws its beams!
So shines a good deed in a naughty world.
- William Shakespear

in Suggestions

Posted by: castlemanic.3198

castlemanic.3198

I do not want my mesmer throwing spears on land. I want my mesmer to stab people with spears. Leave the spear throwing to the guardians who are the descendants of paragons and leave normal spear wielding to the rest of us.

in Suggestions

Posted by: incisorr.9502

incisorr.9502

@Nels

1: Whats the problem with warrior having shield and sword and doing damage? lol. Your logic is incredibly bad, and you’re implying that warrior can’t just use axe and shield and do hard damage and have shield skills at same time…

2: Thats not my job, its arena net’s job. I’d be happy to offer my knowledge if i were hired and sort this out. And yes, you’re supposed to be able to modify ur stuff as much as u want, thats why its a mmorpg. You can already modify ur traits as much as u want , so whats ur problem with weapons?

3: no , farming 300 hours for legendary and then a new better weapon coming is not my image of a good idea.

4: what? It doesn’t matter if im happy or not with my weapon, i actually pvp , if they put a halberd and its much better than say greatsword – ill be forced to get halberd to keep up with pvp standards. Just like hammer and greatsword for warrior at this point, hammer is plain bad and easily countered so you get gs or you stay low level pvper

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nappychappy.7046

Nappychappy.7046

@Nels

1: Whats the problem with warrior having shield and sword and doing damage? lol. Your logic is incredibly bad, and you’re implying that warrior can’t just use axe and shield and do hard damage and have shield skills at same time…

2: Thats not my job, its arena net’s job. I’d be happy to offer my knowledge if i were hired and sort this out. And yes, you’re supposed to be able to modify ur stuff as much as u want, thats why its a mmorpg. You can already modify ur traits as much as u want , so whats ur problem with weapons?

3: no , farming 300 hours for legendary and then a new better weapon coming is not my image of a good idea.

4: what? It doesn’t matter if im happy or not with my weapon, i actually pvp , if they put a halberd and its much better than say greatsword – ill be forced to get halberd to keep up with pvp standards. Just like hammer and greatsword for warrior at this point, hammer is plain bad and easily countered so you get gs or you stay low level pvper

Honestly you can’t use logic in a fantasy mmo, you just can’t. If you do, then anyone with a sword should 1 shot a target in cloth, or leather. Also a caster could kill you by simply giving you the plague, or blasting you with a fireball in the face.

Anyways, keep the suggestions coming, somethings gotta give. I’m hardcore-casual and bored out of my mind, need more things to make the game more fun and less “grind-y”.

You are using 21 of 100 infractions ermm, PMs.

in Suggestions

Posted by: callidus.7085

callidus.7085

There are a number of reasons this is a bad idea, and a few that make it good. But, the bad far outweigh the good.

#1: Multiple weapon skill sets for a single weapon would become convoluted and hard to balance, especially in regards to one handed and dual wield weapons, but also in two handers. A sword/shield warrior with good defense being able to dish out hard damage spikes? A longbow ranger being able to dish out the same condition damage as a shortbow ranger, from a significantly greater distance on a significantly more powerful weapon?

#2: How would you regulate swapping of styles? Say I’m a thief, with multiple weapon sets, and the ability to swap styles too. Now, I can go dagger/dagger, do some burst damage with Backstab, then swap styles to a more control/defense oriented dagger/dagger thief, then swap weapons to pistols, get some bleeding and vulnerability on you, swap styles to a massive pistol damage spike, then swap back to dagger/dagger and backstab? Essentially having four in combat weapon sets.

#3: New weapons are a good idea. Let’s face it, I want to have a greataxe wielding beastmaster ranger, executioner necromancer, barbarian warrior etc… I want to have my mesmer and elementalist throw spears on land like the paragons of old, only enchanted with magic. I want a stealthy saboteur engineer with a crossbow sneaking into bandit camps and setting up, then sniping their leader and watching the rest charge right into the landmines looking for the shooter.

#4: You won’t have to buy new weapons and farm new legendary ones, unless you’re already unhappy with what you’ve got. And if you’re already unhappy with it, why fight the solution, am I right?

awww man, don’t kill good ideas ;-)

1. Just because a sword/shield warrior dishes out direct damage doesn’t mean it will be as powerful as a greatsword.. they would balance this. Just because a ranger can dish out condition damage on a longbow doesn’t mean it’d be to the same affect as a shortbow, they’d balance this.

2. They don’t have to allow swapping of “styles” in combat, make it just like swapping of skills.. out of combat only.. or not! make it in combat to mix things up.. who knows, could be interesting (but that’d start getting pretty complex eh? how many styles per weapon? 4? i can swap my weapons and switch between 4 styles each.. 8 different weapon skill sets? what game am i playing again? out of combat would be best)

3. These ideas are not mutually exclusive, they can both happen.. and if they both happen, AWESOME!

4. I can want a Greatsword and do bleeds with it.. I’m unhappy, the OP solution fixes that… I want a Greataxe, this does not fix that.. new weapons will… 2 different solutions solving similar problems, not the SAME problem.

Anyways, new weapons, new weapon styles (or perhaps just being able to select weapon skills.. like there are 3 to choose from per weapon per weapon skill slot.. I like that better than weapon styles actually)… both would be awesome for me.

Slow down and smell the pixels.