Disappointing game mechanics - Leveling Down

in Suggestions

Posted by: Thugem Chi.6189

Thugem Chi.6189

After coming over from GW have come across some disappointing and annoying mechanics in GW2. Obviously we all can see that GW2 is nothing like GW but more of a spinoff of WoW. The only connection is references and really nothing else. Here is one of my complaints/annoyances.

Leveling Down – I don’t know about this mechanic but it seems rather frustrating and really penalizing to the players. You work so hard to build your character up then get penalized and have to play as a noob in a lower area. You get swarmed by low level characters and die and then HAVE TO PAY TO USE A WAYPOINT AND PAY TO FIX YOUR ARMOR. You may be a level 80 character but die and have to pay money because some level 8 characters killed you. It does not make sense and is kind of dumb. Personally I’m tired of this happening especially if you are trying to help someone. Give players the option to choose how they want their character to be leveled or perhaps have them play as a lower level in an area they haven’t explored yet. How can low level characters damage level 80 armor-which you then have to pay a lot to fix? There is no need to give experience points in those areas. Lower the drop rate of items for players.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dand.8231

Dand.8231

Leveling Down – I don’t know about this mechanic but it seems rather frustrating and really penalizing to the players. You work so hard to build your character up then get penalized and have to play as a noob in a lower area.

Uh, even when “leveled down” you’re a a good bit stronger than an actual character at that level. In the starting areas I routinely 1-shot groups of mobs with a single button, as do most 80’s.

You also have greater access to utility skills, elites, sigils, and runes.

And because you’re down leveled, the content still applies to you, which means you can continue to earn rewards, IE, EXP, loot, and karma.

Effectively, the level of the zone becomes more of a challenge rating, giving you a good idea of mob strength and event difficulty.

And best of all, you can play with friends just by showing up. No mentoring or buddy system… you dont even really need to join a party. And newbs and alts get upleveled in WvW so they’re not running around with 300 base HP.

So… uh… exactly what part of this do you hate again???

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I have never been “swarmed by low level characters and then died” in a low level zone I’ve ben level downed to. If that’s happening to you, that is a L2P situation, not an actual problem with the system.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

in Suggestions

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

the only times any of my higher level chars (especially my 80 ranger) has been downed in a low level zone, was when i was distracted arranging the inventory, dragged afk by rl stuff or wasn’t paying attention to what i was doing… so, i’m forced to say l2p

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

in Suggestions

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

If you are getting downed that much in a newbie area on an 80 its not the game .

in Suggestions

Posted by: LeeroyNimoy.1864

LeeroyNimoy.1864

This guy has like five threads with these “Disappointing Game Mechanics” . . . I can’t imagine why you would still playing the game if you hate so much about it.

Ability is what you can do; Motivation is how much you do; Attitude is how well you do it.
My idea compilation thread:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Seven-ideas-in-one-post/first#post3038023

in Suggestions

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

Mmmmm tears

in Suggestions

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

This guy has like five threads with these “Disappointing Game Mechanics” . . . I can’t imagine why you would still playing the game if you hate so much about it.

Makes me wonder if it has something to do with the free trial period.

The Burninator

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bismuth.3165

Bismuth.3165

Jeeha (ele) and Jeeha The Warrior
Is currently emotionally unstable because Breaking Bad is over

in Suggestions

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I agree about the horrendous downleveling totally OP. Let me tell you my story.

I go out with my level 80 hammer guardian with full exotics, looking for a worthy foe. In the level 2-5 Norn noob area I find him, a Moa! Narrowing my eyes determinedly we set to battle. He was vicious, let me tell you but I was winning, wise to his cunning tricks. And then this rampaging Minotaur got involved and the tide of battle turned. The Minotaur sent me ignominiously flying and then the Moa raced over and dazed me, the fiend. They batted me back and forth like two kittens with one ball of thread. It was awful! I was downed several times in this epic battle but finally with one massive blow from my mighty hammer, The Icebreaker, I killed that Minotaur and was able to turn to the Moa and polish him off. This battle took me 30 minutes!!!!

After that I staggered back to LA. I needed a drink.

in Suggestions

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

—SNIP—

LOL well done but it sounds like you already had a few.

The Burninator

in Suggestions

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

—SNIP—

LOL well done but it sounds like you already had a few.

O.o Maybe that explains why they kept doubling and tripling in numbers. I thought they were Mesmers they way they kept multiplying and weaving around. THAT MOA SPIKED MY LEMONADE!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Willum.2546

Willum.2546

I actually agree wholeheartedly…
But I think more along the lines of world bosses, especially now with the terrible changes that have been made.
I run full tank gear and tank specs on my guard and I can’t even do bosses like FE and Golem anymore. The AOE fire and lightning fields are so ridiculous and near un-dodgable. There are no pre-warning red circles either so wtf are you supposed to do…
The damage ticks are also WAY too high. They should be just at the point to annoy, not completely kill in 4 ticks.

Each area should have a prompt when you enter whether you want to be your personal level or down leveled. So you can go to the lower level maps and farm mats and whatnot without the bother of being put in combat and getting P’ed off. Or you can up-level a map for world completion.
If I choose to up-level on a map and bypass what little XP I may get, it should be my choice to do so.
With these recent changes and the majority of the new content coming out its seems that ANET hired a batch of fresh developers that have never seen nor played an MMO in their life. (I don’t include WoW in my argument considering it’d be like comparing Dora the Explorer to Family Guy; one is definitely not for children.)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

I disagree with the option to not down level. Low level characters already have a hard enough time participating in events and killing mobs with high levels around, as it is. Turning the down leveling off would just create the situation of griefing the low levels intentionally and unintenionaly.

in Suggestions

Willum.2546

I disagree with the option to not down level. Low level characters already have a hard enough time participating in events and killing mobs with high levels around, as it is. Turning the down leveling off would just create the situation of griefing the low levels intentionally and unintenionaly.

Mostly the only reason people would maintain their level on a map for would be world boss events. Frankly who cares if someone on level is having a hard time participating. World bosses aren’t in place in games to do as a leveling factor, they’re in place to give something to do on an end game basis. Get to level 80, and you’ll have your opportunities.
As for griefing, I don’t see that being a problem when all you have to do is tag something to get credit. Also the respawn rates are decent enough to help with that as well. If, in the rare case, someone was greifing… report them.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

I doubt they would only maintain level on world bosses. they would maintain it to farm mats and a lot of times, tagging is hard enough even with down scaling. so many people would care if players could participate in events in the few zones that they are limited to due to level.

respawn is every 90 seconds. that doesn’t help with one hit kills. creating situations that require dev intervention for little reward is a bad business practice. it requires more work and money to pay for that work for nothing in return.

(edited by Dustfinger.9510)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Peeka.7961

Peeka.7961

I think the reason the changes to the bosses were made because players could in effect just press 1 for x amount of dmg and then go do something else while its killed in 10 seconds.

Players that were still coming to the fight would miss out and have to wait for it to respawn again before they could get their daily chest etc.

I personally found the world boss fights boring, and not challenging. It seemed to be an easy daily chest nothing less nothing more.

I find that fact far more disturbing than worrying about random RNG attacks, its very strange that a hostile mob will advertise what its going to do before it does it heh. If I was going to give u a sucker punch I wouldnt let u prepare for it now would I.

I have mixed feelings about being a lvl 80 in a lowbie zone and not being able to completely wreck it with my awesome powers.

I came from WoW, Gear and skill (some may question the skill part heh) played a big part of endgame content, You had to be 90, you had to have this gear, You had to know the strats, you had to be certain specs, you had to know your role, had to be prepared, those that werent got smashed simple as that or got kicked.

Here you dont have to worry bout such things, if your in a lvl appropriate zone for your character or higher you can participate. Gearing isnt as important because you can run back from the wp or rely on someone to revive you if your downed, you can literally be naked you might not last very long but Im sure your combined dmg would be enough to score a chest. There is no structure to a world boss fight other than the pre events, which isnt very involved at least not till u get to Orr. To me this flaw is more of a problem than whether you need to upscale or downscale. If you can fight a world boss in a zerg naked and still get rewards thats a problem.

Gear is meaningless, your traits skillpoint allocation and weapons are pointless, let alone your level.

From this viewpoint I think the devs are perhaps thinking the same thing. Teq appears to be a step in that direction to recognizing the obvious flaws to world boss encounters.

You need active participation from players to down this boss, need to co ordinate and co operate with each other to down him successfully, if one group not functioning to support the rest fails then it all fails, no more free chest.

Gear also matters for a change, Surviving as long as possible matters. Your abilities matter and becomes key factors in this fight altho I worry that a reliance will begin, delegating others to be typecast in these support roles only, which I think the devs are trying to avoid, otherwise it will be back to the old Trinity system of mmos.

(edited by Peeka.7961)

in Suggestions

Willum.2546

I personally found the world boss fights boring, and not challenging. It seemed to be an easy daily chest nothing less nothing more.

From this viewpoint I think the devs are perhaps thinking the same thing. Teq appears to be a step in that direction to recognizing the obvious flaws to world boss encounters.

You need active participation from players to down this boss, need to co ordinate and co operate with each other to down him successfully, if one group not functioning to support the rest fails then it all fails, no more free chest.

Gear also matters for a change, Surviving as long as possible matters. Your abilities matter and becomes key factors in this fight altho I worry that a reliance will begin, delegating others to be typecast in these support roles only, which I think the devs are trying to avoid, otherwise it will be back to the old Trinity system of mmos.

Your first point I quoted: The world bosses needed a revamping, but 2-3 tick deaths isn’t a good mechanic at all. Its called being lazy and copping out on coming up with something good.

Your second quoted point: Teq definitely is NOT a step in the right direction. Especially for smaller servers, which I feel really bad for.
Having to rely on that many people is too much of a headache to make it worthwhile. Taking a world boss and requiring his kill to be that coordinated is about the worst thing you can do in an MMO, especially a FTP MMO.
Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the game mostly, but my friends and I are only here temporarily, because its not good enough to play for years.
Raids need to be implemented. Raids are for coordination, World Bosses are not. If a raid were to span beyond 10 people it would become asenine. But GW2 already fails in respects to correct group makeups and aggro. So there is little that can be done.