Dodge roll invincibility

Dodge roll invincibility

in Suggestions

Posted by: none.9681

none.9681

So, when I first played GW2, I took the dodge roll for a repositioning skill. Yeah, how naive of me. In PvE, most people don’t even care about the repositioning half and only use dodge as an invincibility button. I think that function is a bad idea and hurts the game more than it helps it.

- it makes most of PvE trivial – every player has access to 2 skills that make him immune to damage and refill fast (even faster with Vigor/Sigil of Energy, etc.)
- makes zero sense logic-wise. If I stand in an explosion, rolling on a place won’t help me. Rolling out of the way of explosion and then coming back makes more sense imo
- makes defensive stats obsolete (PvE again) – having more HP or armor is significantly less useful than a moment of invulnerability that comes for free

what implications would removing of the invincibility (NOT removing of dodge roll) have?
- in PvP – squishy professions would have to play more carefully. Would hurt thieves most
- in WvWvW – makes it harder to escape a bigger group solo, not much changes in group vs group fights
- in PvE – makes players actually have to get out of red circles OR investing into defensive stats instead of full zerker (OR being a Guardian), making stacking in one place and bursting the boss down while ignoring the mechanics harder

Dodge roll invincibility

in Suggestions

Posted by: UserError.7150

UserError.7150

i disagree, i think the dodge roll was a good idea… just too buggy and needs alot of work

for example, if i am experiencing lag, it WILL NOT matter which direction i hold down, i WILL dodge in a random direction (even set up mouse left and right scroll for left and right dodge for when i am in game, and that doesnt work)
But when i DO dodge away, i have gotten hit (i.e. colossas boss that can 1-hit me with his hammer) which doesnt make since if i am dodging, which just goes to show that it is NOT simple invulnerability.
they need to make dodge direction register on the computers end, not server, even though the dodge roll needs to be registered on the server. then they could make it if u dodge into an attack u take double dmg and get kd. and if you dodge away, ur immune to kd and actually dodge the attack

if he would fix the bugs inherited in the system, it would be significantly better

Dodge roll invincibility

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I think the dodge roll is a great idea.

What I think is a bad idea, is having various classes have unequal access to additional invulnerability skills. That creates an imbalance. What I also think is a bad idea, is the reliance on red circles to indicate danger. In any other game, you’d simply see what you’re supposed to dodge. The art department has failed immensely in this regard. The red circles are a band aid, to what is clearly a flaw in the design of the game’s visuals.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Dodge roll invincibility

in Suggestions

Posted by: UserError.7150

UserError.7150

I think the dodge roll is a great idea.

What I think is a bad idea, is having various classes have unequal access to additional invulnerability skills. That creates an imbalance. What I also think is a bad idea, is the reliance on red circles to indicate danger. In any other game, you’d simply see what you’re supposed to dodge. The art department has failed immensely in this regard. The red circles are a band aid, to what is clearly a flaw in the design of the game’s visuals.

i would still like to see better uses of dodge, and i would like to see the stack on alpha subject and ROLL INTO his attack fail, so that you actually have to fight him instead of cheat.. so tired of ppl thinking you have to do that cheat to beat him….

Dodge roll invincibility

in Suggestions

Posted by: Unholy Pillager.3791

Unholy Pillager.3791

The problem I see is that they made dodging vital to survival…and ranger pets don’t have access to it. If you’re not going to make our pets capable of surviving certain content, don’t force us to use them in areas where they’re purely a liability.

Dodge roll invincibility

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

The problem I see is that they made dodging vital to survival…and ranger pets don’t have access to it. If you’re not going to make our pets capable of surviving certain content, don’t force us to use them in areas where they’re purely a liability.

Good point. And one-shot mechanics on bosses tend to make defensive stats like toughness and healing a bit redundant.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Dodge roll invincibility

in Suggestions

Posted by: Deniara Devious.3948

Deniara Devious.3948

I also dislike the one shotting mechanism. Dodge at right time = you don’t take any damage. Dodge wrong time = you die. Gear / build won’t matter. It is matter of reflexes.

We can just wish that someday this game would have better monster / NPC AI, just like Guild Wars 1 had. I find that GW1 artificial intelligence was totally superior to this game.

Imagine if boss fights would be like this: the monsters / NPC would move out of AoE, dodge intelligently, use snare on melee and ranged interrupted or pull on far away enemies and so on. As result the hit point point for monsters would have be toned down accordingly and the party of players would need to co-ordinate their effects better e.g. one is interrupting / snaring the boss, so that others can use their channeled attack skill (like 100 blades) on it. Without snare, stun etc, the boss would dodge.

Currently berserker gear is the best for most dungeons and pve content (and rabid / rampager gear for condition heavy builds). Only few professions, like guardian, select different gear.

Deniara / Ayna – I want the original WvWvW maps back – Desolation [EU]

(edited by Deniara Devious.3948)

Dodge roll invincibility

in Suggestions

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

op you are correct
i think dodge gives the “dynamic combat” impression but it negatively impacts gameplay by trivializing positioning and damage in encounters. but you probably won’t get much support because it feels nice to do.

Dodge roll invincibility

in Suggestions

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

The biggest problem right now is that all of the toughest enemies and bosses have their damage stacked into slow but highly damaging attacks. Against enemies who attack in chains, attack rapidly, or generally have a high sustained damage, the dodge roll isn’t that strong at all.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.