Don't punish someone who doesn't do your storyline

in Suggestions

Posted by: scooby treat.8420

scooby treat.8420

So i’m in Straits of Devastation and I can’t get a Point of Interest because I haven’t done the quest temple of the forgotten gods in my storyline. You need to stop forcing players to do your storyline so they can get a Point of Interest. I already did the full storyline with one of my level 80’s and to be honest I DON’T want to do it again.

I thought on this character I would do the 100 percent map and come to find out I can’t get a point of interest because I didn’t do the story line? Who decided this was a good idea? Please make it so players can get ALL points of interest without doing your storyline!

-FC- Cookie Snatchers [MINE]
Manyme usee -80 mesmer current main
80 War, Ele, Guar, Rang, thief. 55 engi 16 necro

in Suggestions

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

well you can always go into it when a guildy does it, but that is a bit of a band aid :p

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

in Suggestions

Posted by: amontillado.1937

amontillado.1937

I agree with the original post. No matter how good a piece of content is, requiring that people replay it is a minus. I’d extend this further to include the race starter missions as well.

in Suggestions

Posted by: MistyMountains.3751

MistyMountains.3751

or u could do a alt with another race…heck even the same race has multiple story choices that change what quests you do as well as other orders to choose from…this game is very story oriented such as TOR …get over it? heck u can even SKIP the cutscenes…and the quests give large xp and good rewards per the lvl u do them…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Account.9832

Account.9832

And, while you’re at it, let us turn off the story prompt on the top right and the story markers and arrows on the map. I remember one of the developers saying they would “consider this” during the beta weekends, but looks like there’s still no way to do it.

I find the personal stories to be the weakest part of GW2’s content, and really don’t need to be constantly reminded of them on every character that I make.

- Al Zheimer

in Suggestions

Posted by: Turial.1293

Turial.1293

Honestly I no longer play story past claw island on my alts, all previous story I can stomach but the moment Trahearne comes out I stop playing, I don’t care I am missing out on xp as all the story is the same, did it once, never again. I would not mind repeating the same story but bad writing is bad writing.

+1 for the OP as players should not have to do storyline to get 100%

“Some of my best friends are heterosexual”

(edited by Turial.1293)

in Suggestions

Posted by: amontillado.1937

amontillado.1937

or u could do a alt with another race…heck even the same race has multiple story choices that change what quests you do as well as other orders to choose from…this game is very story oriented such as TOR …get over it? heck u can even SKIP the cutscenes…and the quests give large xp and good rewards per the lvl u do them…

someone can, sure, but perhaps they don’t WANT to, which is the point.

There are ways around repeating content, and ways to minimize the time spent when in the situation where one must repeat content. There are even reasons why one might want to repeat the same missions, but this is a thread suggesting how to make the game better, not how any particular player thinks another SHOULD play.

More flexibility where it comes to allowing the PLAYER not the designers to decide how the game will be played is a good thing from this player’s perspective. Your millage may differ.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Agree with the op. You should be able to reach all areas of the map without having the personal storyline restrict access when you aren’t playing the your actual story.

in Suggestions

scooby treat.8420

I should not be forced to do the storyline to get a point of interest for world map comp.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kal.2376

Kal.2376

I shouldn’t have to swim so remove underwater POIs
I shouldn’t have to PVP, so remove WvW POIs
I shouldn’t have to jump, so remove POIs/vistas from jump puzzles
I shouldn’t have to fight, so remove POIs from enemy infested caves…

So they should just place them all in a single place to make everyone happy?

Map completion shows you have actually partaken in different parts of the game. If you want to complete the map, you have to do the jumping/swiming/wvw/story, etc, etc. This is perfectly fine as it is.

in Suggestions

Posted by: EndlessDreamer.6780

EndlessDreamer.6780

I agree. If you don’t want to do the story, that’s your own prerogative, but if the story, the major component of this game, is part of an achievement, I don’t see why you should complain about it if you are just being lazy and don’t want to do it.

in Suggestions

scooby treat.8420

I agree. If you don’t want to do the story, that’s your own prerogative, but if the story, the major component of this game, is part of an achievement, I don’t see why you should complain about it if you are just being lazy and don’t want to do it.

well number 1 I already did the whole storyline with one of my level 80’s and don’t feel like doing it on my alt’s.

Number 2 getting world map completion with points of interest should have nothing to do with a story line. I have 99 percent of that map complete but because it won’t let me in 1 door for a level 70 quest that I don’t like I now can’t complete that part of the map 100 percent? umm no its bad for a game to force someone to spend a day to do a quest line for something that is not even the same thing.

in Suggestions

scooby treat.8420

Map completion shows you have actually partaken in different parts of the game. If you want to complete the map, you have to do the jumping/swiming/wvw/story, etc, etc. This is perfectly fine as it is.

this is my 3rd level 80 char and I’m doing 100 percent map completion not a storyline your trolling is just plain stupid

in Suggestions

Kal.2376

That’s a slippery slope they cannot succumb to. If they make that “change” for you, then other people will “demand” other “changes” and we’ll end up with POIs just on the road where everyone can get to.

There is nothing stopping you from completing the map, other than spending an hour or so to blast through the storyline missions (which are easy at max level anyway). It just takes a little money for porting (which should be easy with 99% of the map complete), and a little time.

in Suggestions

Kal.2376

this is my 3rd level 80 char and I’m doing 100 percent map completion not a storyline your trolling is just plain stupid

No, it’s not trolling. The change may seem simple for you, but these kind of concessions bring a mass of other demands for other players (“you changed the game for him, now change it for me”). Things are not as simple as you think…

in Suggestions

scooby treat.8420

how hard would it be for them to open a door or put it at the door? i’m not asking to change the whole game it is 1 point of interest. I have done 10 zones or so never having to go into the storyline to complete a map not once but this zone there is 1 point of interest where you must do the questline up to that point a level 70 questline at that. At level 80 its up to 3 silver to port to a different map and I would either have to run around the whole map or pay prob around half a gold or more for the ports.

If it was like that from step 1 fine but to have no maps make you do the storyline and then there is just 1 point that is just bad design

in Suggestions

Posted by: mrsrachelm.7618

mrsrachelm.7618

I agree with the OP. They fact that the game is new means getting groups for the story lines (mid level especially) is easier but that’s going to change real soon. The fact that I might not even be able to -do- my personal story quests because I am forced to find groups is aggravating enough but to not be able to complete my map and get the achievement as well is just nauseating. I loathe being forced to do a dungeon etc just for that stuff. The fact that I have to be several levels higher than my storyline quests to begin with just to hopefully survive them is pretty irritating as well because I enjoy storylines as part of the game in general. Challenging is good but really…when I have to be over 10 levels higher than my storyline quest so I can have the traits etc to survive it….that’s just stupid. The difficulty should match the actual level don’t ya think?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Throdin.8061

Throdin.8061

I agree with the OP. They fact that the game is new means getting groups for the story lines (mid level especially) is easier but that’s going to change real soon. The fact that I might not even be able to -do- my personal story quests because I am forced to find groups is aggravating enough but to not be able to complete my map and get the achievement as well is just nauseating. I loathe being forced to do a dungeon etc just for that stuff. The fact that I have to be several levels higher than my storyline quests to begin with just to hopefully survive them is pretty irritating as well because I enjoy storylines as part of the game in general. Challenging is good but really…when I have to be over 10 levels higher than my storyline quest so I can have the traits etc to survive it….that’s just stupid. The difficulty should match the actual level don’t ya think?

I did every single quest starting from Claw Island and up at least 2-3 levels under the recommended level except for Zhaitan. I think it’s safe to say you’re doing something wrong if you have to do it 10 levels OVER the recommended.

As for the OP, what I was gonna say has already been said but it’s times like this its nice to think, ‘Over the course of making and checking on this thread, you could’ve finished that story quest, discovered that POI, and been on your merry way by now.’

in Suggestions

scooby treat.8420

I did every single quest starting from Claw Island and up at least 2-3 levels under the recommended level except for Zhaitan. I think it’s safe to say you’re doing something wrong if you have to do it 10 levels OVER the recommended.

As for the OP, what I was gonna say has already been said but it’s times like this its nice to think, ‘Over the course of making and checking on this thread, you could’ve finished that story quest, discovered that POI, and been on your merry way by now.’

spend 6 hours of my time and over half a gold in port costs to do something I shouldn’t have to do? I think not. I guess i’ll just not get 100 percent with my chars and give thumbs down to design

in Suggestions

Posted by: drwookie.6391

drwookie.6391

Okay I ran into this same poi and here is my take, sorry if I am repeating someone.

The fact that you have to do the story IS NOT my biggest issue with it. What I find more annoying is that for the first 70+ levels I was fully capable of exploring many zones to 100% without doing the story. The game lead me to believe you didn’t need to, since I was up to 70%+ map completion and never needed to before.

To me the issue is consistency. Underwater objects are all over the place, so it is expected. Every wvw zone has many pois…its not like one odd man out. This POI he is referring to is the first line I encountered in the entire game that requires the story. It is annoying because it is a complete 180 from the rest of map completion. Its just not consistent.

Edit: as an aside…depending on your profession there is a way to get to it without the story. Its not a legitimate path…you kind of squeeze through. AFAIK only some professions can even make it, cause it requires a skill that jumps you forward. YouTube it for a video.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Johnny Whoa.8126

Johnny Whoa.8126

So the complaint here is you can’t get 100% without doing 100% of the game on the character you’re trying to hit 100% for?

Just… just think about that.

in Suggestions

drwookie.6391

Johnny,

The achievement isn’t 100% completion. It is 100% MAP completion. There is a difference.

in Suggestions

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

I don’t do the storyline. I don’t play MMOs for their “Story”, especially PvP MMOs. I don’t care about completionist. I just level, learn the skills and eventually get into PvP.

I would have to agree with the OP, locking content into other content only alienates those who aren’t interested in every single dripping piece of content.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cinder.4865

Cinder.4865

I don’t see this change happening, if only because it then opens the floodgates for those wanting to see WvW removed from 100% map completion. I’m sorry that you choose not to do the storyline, but it’s not difficult to do so in order to get the PoI.

in Suggestions

scooby treat.8420

@cinder

Well after looking to see what reward you get for 100 percent map completion ummm ya they can keep that point of interest and there super weak reward I about fell over and LOL when i saw what you get for finishing the 100 percent map what a joke if i could give it 1 million thumbs down I would. So Anet, nevermind….. Forget I even started this thread because after seeing what reward you get for all the time it takes to get 100 percent map completion it wasn’t even worth my time to even start this thread.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

People are complaining so much about everything in the game that I only have one suggestion: Cash shop. A-net, make everything buyable in cashshop with real money not gems. Give the download for the game free and add in cash shop this:
SPVP pack access , WvW Access, Dungeon X-Y Access, Event Access, Zone Access, Skill Access, Weapons Access, Legendary Weapons , Dungeon armors.
So people who don’t want to play anything in the game and still feel they have all they wanted form it, let them buy it. They don’t want to do the story because its boring, They don’t want to do WvW because its required for Map completion. They dont want to do all the time events, they don’t want to farm for weapons or they want all weapons, all armors, all professions on one character. Lets them pay if they want to skipp all the content and see the end credits. A good idea could be to add all title and achievements in cash shop too so people wont feel forced they achieve one title they don’t want while grinding for others. Some people want to turn off exp form different things, others want to get more exp, so why not sell them the levels in cashhop. etc.

You don’t want to be"forced" to do this and that in the game? There is one simple solution: a skip button from start to finish so you get form lvl1 to lvl 80 with all PVE PVP WvW achievements for only 300 USD (power levelers are asking 200 USD but they don’t offer achievements too, so a 300 USD is a fair price)

in Suggestions

scooby treat.8420

People are complaining so much about everything in the game that I only have one suggestion: Cash shop. A-net, make everything buyable in cashshop with real money not gems. Give the download for the game free and add in cash shop this:
SPVP pack access , WvW Access, Dungeon X-Y Access, Event Access, Zone Access, Skill Access, Weapons Access, Legendary Weapons , Dungeon armors.
So people who don’t want to play anything in the game and still feel they have all they wanted form it, let them buy it. They don’t want to do the story because its boring, They don’t want to do WvW because its required for Map completion. They dont want to do all the time events, they don’t want to farm for weapons or they want all weapons, all armors, all professions on one character. Lets them pay if they want to skipp all the content and see the end credits. A good idea could be to add all title and achievements in cash shop too so people wont feel forced they achieve one title they don’t want while grinding for others. Some people want to turn off exp form different things, others want to get more exp, so why not sell them the levels in cashhop. etc.

You don’t want to be"forced" to do this and that in the game? There is one simple solution: a skip button from start to finish so you get form lvl1 to lvl 80 with all PVE PVP WvW achievements for only 300 USD (power levelers are asking 200 USD but they don’t offer achievements too, so a 300 USD is a fair price)

So I don’t think you understand what I am talking about. So the 100 percent MAP completion is when you go to each zone and get all the hearts and all the vistas and all the little points of interests and skill points.

Everything was fine up until the level 70 to 75 zone where this is a point of interest that is behind a locked door. The only way to get to this point of interest is to do the storyline up to the level 70 storyline. ALL other maps DO NOT make you do ANY of the story except all of a sudden there is this 1 point of interest were you can’t get it unless you do the storyline of the game up to that point. why? There is no point having that point of interest behind a locked door so you can’t complete the 100 percent MAP completion. MAP completion is not GAME completion or STORY completion. Don’t make someone do the storyline to get MAP completion. Anyhow here I am wasting more typing on something I said wasn’t even worth the time of day to post after seeing what you get as a reward for doing 100 percent map completion.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fred Fargone.3127

Fred Fargone.3127

Oh please, usually every object in the map requires you to do something to reach it. This one happens to be storyline related. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. 100% map completion is pretty much 100% game completion, or close to it. Could add some required POI’s in dungeons tho.

People who can argue often offer a good and meaningful conversation about the subject.
People who can’t tend to call the opponent troll, scream something utterly incomprehensible
and finally result to personal insults.

in Suggestions

drwookie.6391

Again,

The problem is to my knowledge this is the ONLY thing in map completion that requires thE story. One single poi.

If it were four maps worth, like wvw, that would be different. Or if like every dungeon had pois…also different.

It is screwed up that you can literally
get to 90+% completion and then be blocked by a single poi. They need to be internally consistent and just remove it….or add way more exploration requirements for story, so that they are consistent. The first 70 levels does not lead you to believe you need to do story. Its annoying that they change at the end for one poi.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fred Fargone.3127

Fred Fargone.3127

Well, there is one POI in Asura starter zone that I had no idea how to get, other than the storyline. (Well, some time I go I learned that there was a gate to the POI on the opposite site of the map.) And people just generally adviced to do the storyline to reach it. Of course, it was just Asuran storyline, but I think ya get where I’m getting at. Or then ya haven’t plaid Asura.

Well, as someone else already noted, GW2 map completion is ridiculously easy when compared to GW1. Which also required storyline btw. So I don’t really get what people are complaining about. (Tbh it sounds similar to “I don’t know how economy works so I want you to give me money.” to me)

Ooh! We should block Straits of Devastation until you have The Pact formed in your storyline! (I sure was confused as to “whats going on in here?” when I first popped in that map before getting to there with storyline. Hehe, I thought Pact was some Charr thing.)

People who can argue often offer a good and meaningful conversation about the subject.
People who can’t tend to call the opponent troll, scream something utterly incomprehensible
and finally result to personal insults.

in Suggestions

drwookie.6391

My main is an asura who never did the story and didn’t encounter a single issue with map completion until the straits. He was around 75% when that happened.

Again, I wouldn’t mind if story was required from the beginning, if there was some clear indication. However to go 75% through completion, get to level 80 and only then encounter the first poi that is blocked…that is just frustrating. Unneccesarily so.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

So I don’t think you understand what I am talking about. So the 100 percent MAP completion is when you go to each zone and get all the hearts and all the vistas and all the little points of interests and skill points.

I understand you very good and I agree with your point. My comment was only an ironic answer to all the comments in this forum not necessarily directed to your one.
I am only lvl 29 and I played from the head-start and I bet would be frustrated too if I was in your place but every time I say that the game “wasn’t ready” to release it, people argue that it was. Then, when I ask why do they complain so much if they believe the game was ready, they call me a troll. In conclusion, I don’t have anything against you or your point of view which by the way I think its legitimate as many other points in this forum, but I really think if Anet would have let the open beta from April and not do just those beta weekend events, than they would have got more information like they do now. They just let people play for 48h once in month and they thought the feedback was awesome.
I personally think the game is now in the final part of a beta which will end possibly with the first expansion.