Doubloons - STILL not collectible

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

Ever since collectible bank slots were added for rare crafting materials, for some reason the Copper Doubloon, Silver Doubloon, Gold Doubloon and Platinum Doubloon were left out. I found this odd, since they were like a rare variant of the jeweling crafting materials, and are acquired in exactly the same way as all other rare crafting materials. And many crafts use them in discoveries.

With the most recent update, the Doubloons were given a new functionality, with their Magic Find being replaced by Boon Duration. Additionally, new collectible bank slots were added for all the new materials needed for Ascended crafting (including some that are not even implemented yet).

So why are Doubloons still not collectible? To me, it appears to be an oversight that has lasted for many months now.

Please add collectible bank slots for the Copper Doubloon, Silver Doubloon, Gold Doubloon and Platinum Doubloon.

Thank you.

(I have also recently posted in the Crafting forum with a similar message, but as this is more of a suggestion anyway, I have decided to post here as well.)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Topher.1684

Topher.1684

It’s the same reason why upgraded gems can’t be deposited, or crests/medallion/etc, or sigils, or runes, or any of the cooking implements other then raw material (salt and pepper for example). The collectible tab is used for crafting materials and mini pets only

in Suggestions

Posted by: NoobOnSteroid.7192

NoobOnSteroid.7192

Doubloons should be considered a crafting material. After all, they are no different from gemstones: they are used in crafting, but can also be applied directly for a stat boost.

I’d say it is indeed pretty odd to leave them out of it like this.

in Suggestions

Jornophelanthas.1475

Doubloons are crafting materials.

Doubloons are used in the construction of two sets of runes and one set of sigils, by three different crafting disciplines, all of which are crafting discoveries.
By contrast, crests/medallions/seals are not used in crafting at all, and upgraded jewels should be seen as the insignias/inscriptions of other crafting disciplines, none of which are collectible.

All (unupgraded) jeweling materials (e.g. sunstone nuggets, emerald shards, ruby orbs) can be used as weapon and armor upgrades, but they are STILL collectible.

Note that Doubloons are not upgradable, drop in exactly the same way as the other rare (yellow) crafting materials, and are used in the same way as the rare (yellow) crafting materials. The only difference is that Doubloons can also be used as item upgrades in their own right, just like the (unupgraded) jeweling ingredients.

If there were a recipe to craft Doubloons from other materials, I would gladly sell my Doubloons and only craft them as needed. As it is now, though, I collect them in case I ever need them for crafting (just like I collect my Glacial Slivers and my Piles of Vile Essence), and they take up precious bank space.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Topher.1684

Topher.1684

Doubloons are crafting materials.

Doubloons are used in the construction of two sets of runes and one set of sigils, by three different crafting disciplines, all of which are crafting discoveries.
By contrast, crests/medallions/seals are not used in crafting at all, and upgraded jewels should be seen as the insignias/inscriptions of other crafting disciplines, none of which are collectible.

All (unupgraded) jeweling materials (e.g. sunstone nuggets, emerald shards, ruby orbs) can be used as weapon and armor upgrades, but they are STILL collectible.

Note that Doubloons are not upgradable, drop in exactly the same way as the other rare (yellow) crafting materials, and are used in the same way as the rare (yellow) crafting materials. The only difference is that Doubloons can also be used as item upgrades in their own right, just like the (unupgraded) jeweling ingredients.

If there were a recipe to craft Doubloons from other materials, I would gladly sell my Doubloons and only craft them as needed. As it is now, though, I collect them in case I ever need them for crafting (just like I collect my Glacial Slivers and my Piles of Vile Essence), and they take up precious bank space.

I knew you would jump on the sigil/crest part of my post, and ignore the cooking part completely.

I still don’t think they need to have a collectible slot (although I wouldn’t say no to this, just as I wouldn’t say no to a PvE weapon/armour locker, or no to account wide dye, or no to account wide wxp…). It’s only (up to) 4 slots.

in Suggestions

Jornophelanthas.1475

I knew you would jump on the sigil/crest part of my post, and ignore the cooking part completely.

Cooking was explicitly designed as a challenging crafting discipline, with complicated recipes that depart from the structures used in the other crafting disciplines. You even receive an explicit warning about this when you first enter the cooking craft.

Yes, cooking uses a lot of intermediate steps of ingredient refinement (some of which are consumable for the food buff in their own right). And yes, only the first tier of ingredients (the totally unupgraded ingredients) are collectible. The cookie dough, the piles of salt and pepper, the mango pie filling are all non-collectible. Not even the loaf of bread (which is also consumable) is collectible.

However, all of the base (unupgraded) cooking ingredients are collectible. I can think of only one exception, which is Rice Wine. But that one can be purchased from a merchant in Lion’s Arch for a negligible cost. (And even the Pieces of Candy Corn, Snowflakes and Glacial Slivers used in certain seasonal foods are collectible!)

So let’s review why the cooking comparison does not work for Doubloons:

1. Cooking is deliberately made more challenging to advance. Having infinite storage space for stuff like Baker’s Wet Ingredients or Herbed Poultry Stock would make it too easy. Doubloons are NOT used in cooking.

2. None of the upgraded/refined cooking ingredients are collectible. Doubloons have nothing in common with these, as they cannot be upgraded/refined, nor crafted from anything.

3. Doubloons are base ingredients in three (non-cooking crafs). However, all base cooking ingredients (except Rice Wine, which is purchasable in a city zone) are collectible. Doubloons are neither collectible nor purchasable.

Conclusion: The specifics of which cooking ingredients are collectible and which are not do not provide some guideline that justifies why Doubloons should not be collectible.

Let’s head you off and also try for a comparison with Mystic Forge crafting. Many of the Mystic Forge recipes require special ingredients, like Bloodstone Shards, Bottles of Elonian Wine and Mystic Forge Stones. These are not collectible. Some recipes also require intermediate crafting components (like Orichalcum Sword Hilts and the like), which are not collectible. Some recipes even require Silver Doubloons.

However:

1. Items like Bloodstone Shards and Bottles of Elonian Wine can be purchased from Miyani (or a nameless WvW Mystic Forge Attendant), who stands right next to the Mystic Forge.

2. Items like Orichalcum Sword Hilts can (and are arguably intended to) be crafted by the player, from collectible materials no less.

3. Items like Mystic Forge Stones are Gem Store items, which are never collectible (except minis), but can be purchased at any time you wish to spend gems on them.

4. The Mystic Forge treats Doubloons as if they were gemstones, as you can transmute a mixture of four gemstones of identical tiers and have a chance at receiving a Doubloon. (It is not possible to transmute Doubloons with any gemstones, because none of the lower tier gemstones are rare (yellow), while all Doubloons are, and only items of identical quality/color can be transmuted in the Forge.)

Conclusion: The specifics of why certain categories of Mystic Forge ingredients are not collectible do not extend to some guideline as to why Doubloons should not be collectible.

(edited by Jornophelanthas.1475)

in Suggestions

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

I’d love this idea, but see also: intermediate cooking supplies.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

in Suggestions

Jornophelanthas.1475

Doubloons are not “intermediate” materials (i.e. you don’t craft them from some base materials), so comparing them to intermediate cooking supplies makes no sense.