Dueling System

Dueling System

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

Bottomline is you need one.

ArenaNet, you’re gearing your game up towards having spvp and wvwvw one of the key endgame activities with your recent patch.

Im fine with that, I love PVP, Ive always considered PVP more fun than PVE anyways.

But heres why you need a dueling system.

It helps players get ready to fight against other players – No more fighting a stationary AI monster. You’re gonna need to learn to anticipate dodges, erratic movements and line of sights.

It helps players get familiar with other professions, learning their visual cues, learning how to react faster when those cues pop up

Dueling is done in a friendly and forgiving environment where your failure does not determine the win or loss of your team.

Bottom line, its FUN.

As of right now the current state of WVWVW looks like a mob of headless chickens zerging from point A to point B shooting out AOEs, really now? Is that what you envision world vs world vs world combat to be?

Dont you want more tactical game play in your wvwvw?
Like in Dark Age of Camelot?

There were frontliners people who frontline offensive providing pressure and defensive protecting vital structures.

There were backliners, people who were manning seige weapons and defending their seige weapons from skirmishers

There were Skirmishers small strike force that divert from the main line to take out artillery and such

sPVP right now is more superior than wvwvw because you see when people zerg capture points they’ll end up losing as they cant sustain the fast captures split up teams can do.

Dueling System

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vigilence.4902

Vigilence.4902

Would love to have a duel system. This would help me greatly in tweak and creating builds as well as experience with fighting certain classes.

Dueling System

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mackdose.6504

Mackdose.6504

OOOOR, you carebears can suck it up and go hot-join. That’s what it’s there for. Join an empty room with your friend. People joined? Tell them you’re practicing, GW2 has a pretty mature community.

The outcry for duels is astonishing, and it’s far from a “need” (see above.) When there are much bigger things that need to be addressed, QoL features like dueling can and should take a back seat.

Wanna sharpen your skills vs players? Hot join. Everything else has a dummy.

“I didn’t buy into GW2 being the second coming of christ.
I just wanted a AAA MMO with no sub made by ArenaNet. And it’s awesome.”

Dueling System

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

OOOOR, you carebears can suck it up and go hot-join. That’s what it’s there for. Join an empty room with your friend. People joined? Tell them you’re practicing, GW2 has a pretty mature community.

The outcry for duels is astonishing, and it’s far from a “need” (see above.) When there are much bigger things that need to be addressed, QoL features like dueling can and should take a back seat.

Wanna sharpen your skills vs players? Hot join. Everything else has a dummy.

So all that trouble to just practice fighting. or fight dummies that don’t fight back just so you can stand still and see how much damage you do.

Thats cool, OR you dont act like a presumptuous Anet feature rep and let suggestions be what they are, suggestions.

If all you have to say to a suggestion is ‘its not top priority" dont bother saying it.
Like I said, you’re not an Anet Rep, you dont know what their plans are you dont speak for them.

Dueling System

in Suggestions

Mackdose.6504

All that trouble adds up to:

1. Joining the mists.
  2. Joining an empty room in the browser.
  3. Having your friend join on you.

Yeah, that’s really a lot of effort to practice. Oh wait, no it isn’t; and PvPers have been doing it since the BWEs. It gives you exactly the environment you’re after with dueling, and get this, you actually practice on the maps in play.

You should really take the time to build a solid argument for why dueling should be implemented sooner rather than later, because as it stands, it’s redundant.
Anet has already stated in a GW2guru post about 6 months ago that dueling is a feature that the community wants to see and they may implement it down the road. I think it would be a cool QoL feature, but it’s not needed for the game to have legs, as you seem to think.

In conclusion, thanks for completely missing the point of my post, instead opting to attack me as “trying to be a Anet feature rep.” You truly are the king of non-constructive posts.

Dueling System

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wreck.5610

Wreck.5610

I would love to be able to duel. I think that it’s essential for a game that has so much PvP content, besides dueling is the practice session for the real PvP.

Dueling System

in Suggestions

Mackdose.6504

I would love to be able to duel. I think that it’s essential for a game that has so much PvP content, besides dueling is the practice session for the real PvP.

But why do you think it’s essential? That’s what I’m looking for.

Dueling System

in Suggestions

Posted by: sorrow.2364

sorrow.2364

I’m asking for it.
Because whole game mechanics fitskittennicely with a duel system. There are no healers, high mobility and dodging, what else do you need for a fantastic duel system?

Obviously this game mode needs some balancing tweaks since some skills are really OP in 1vs1 situations (see moa bird) and Arena modes, fixes and balancing are way more important at the moment, but duels would be a nice touch imo.

(edited by sorrow.2364)

Dueling System

in Suggestions

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

I’m fine with a duelling system if
- it’s just for fun and doesn’t give any rewards
- you can’t do it in towns or while in pvp
- we get an auto-deny option

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

Dueling System

in Suggestions

Mackdose.6504

I’m asking for him.
Because whole game mechanics fitskittennicely with a duel system. There are no healers, high mobility and dodging, what else do you need for a fantastic duel system?

Obviously this game mode needs some balancing tweaks since some skills are really OP in 1vs1 situations (see moa bird) and Arena modes, fixes and balancing are way more important at the moment, but duels would be a nice touch imo.

I’d rather see a private PvP room feature implemented. Imagine having you and 5 of your friends having a free-for all with the capture points deactivated on Khylo? Most amount of kills in a time limit, no rewards.

Or maybe a 1 on 1 scrim in the room while you guys wait for a tourny Q?

I think support for custom rooms would be better than just a dueling system, and I think it would fit better with the overall atmosphere of the Spvp lobby.

Dueling System

in Suggestions

Posted by: sorrow.2364

sorrow.2364

I’d rather see a private PvP room feature implemented. Imagine having you and 5 of your friends having a free-for all with the capture points deactivated on Khylo? Most amount of kills in a time limit, no rewards.

Or maybe a 1 on 1 scrim in the room while you guys wait for a tourny Q?

I think support for custom rooms would be better than just a dueling system, and I think it would fit better with the overall atmosphere of the Spvp lobby.

There are some videos on Youtube about duels and they are pretty fun to watch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO6tyJ8oG6E

Dueling System

in Suggestions

Posted by: kokhlos.2497

kokhlos.2497

I am dying to duel my friends. Its just a super fun way to pass the time and learn new strategies/rotations/counters etc. Anet PLEASE add dueling!!

(yes real kokhlos)

Dueling System

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zane Hosigawa.6359

Zane Hosigawa.6359

I’m definitely in support of a duel system. A good spar between friends is always a nice way to pvp without the loser being harassed to no end by the other team or even their own. Let’s face it, it’s the internet, unless it’s with friends only encounters with trolls will be frequent.

Dueling System

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nazgul.5981

Nazgul.5981

Would love to see dueling implemented, there’s nothing like hanging out with the guild in some forgotten mountain and setup a duel tournaments xD

“Victory is all that matters, and it must be achieved by any means and at any cost”

Dueling System

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kinto.9485

Kinto.9485

I’m also in favor of this suggestion.

/signed

Dungeon Tutorials and more on This YouTube Channel

Dueling System

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mrpopo.4593

Mrpopo.4593

dude this is something everyone wants if you dont want this something is wrong with you lol +1 hope Anet reads this

Dueling System

in Suggestions

Posted by: DavidGX.1723

DavidGX.1723

If the game isn’t balanced 1v1 then people will complain when one class dominates another in duels. That will affect the balance of the entire game… so no.

Dueling System

in Suggestions

Mrpopo.4593

If the game isn’t balanced 1v1 then people will complain when one class dominates another in duels. That will affect the balance of the entire game… so no.

who cares it’s another way to have fun with friends

Dueling System

in Suggestions

DavidGX.1723

So the community will just accept it if they add dueling and it’s incredibly unbalanced? Of course not.

(edited by DavidGX.1723)

Dueling System

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nightingale.6820

Nightingale.6820

So the community will just accept it if they add dueling and it’s incredibly unbalanced? Of course not.

I think you are wrong, at least to some extent.
I’ve played many games with dueling, and sure there are people complaining over balance. but I think that the group that enjoy dueling and focus on that aspect of the game isn’t in it for the balance. they are there to have fun. to challenge their skills against a stronger class. to spar with friends.

And i know for a fact that i like that imbalance. it makes it interesting.

*sorry for bad English and not very good explanations. (I’ve been at work for about 8.5h and frankly I’m quite exhausted)

Dueling System

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cupid.1796

Cupid.1796

I would like to see this. Since dueling is an option and not a need, it doesn’t need to be balanced at all. Different levels, different EQ, different classes, shouldn’t matter. It’s good fun (In most cases) and good practice.

Dueling System

in Suggestions

Mrpopo.4593

why cant you just let us have dueling it’s not like it effects you at all if you dont want to do it then dont its not that big of a deal it hurts no one….

Dueling System

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lord Jaguar.9504

Lord Jaguar.9504

Signed. +1

Aside from general shenanigans and all around fun-having, a Dueling System is a great way for players to test their skills in a controlled environment. It also allows them to setup player-run events such as 1v1 Tournaments, to engage in another layer of RP that could include characters fighting eachother, and the ever-awesome duel blobs that exist persistently near any major city.

Just do it, please. Thanks. =)

Dueling System

in Suggestions

DavidGX.1723

why cant you just let us have dueling it’s not like it effects you at all if you dont want to do it then dont its not that big of a deal it hurts no one….

It could potentially have a MASSIVE effect on the balance of the entire game so, yes, it affects me even if I don’t do it.

Dueling System

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lord Jaguar.9504

Lord Jaguar.9504

It could potentially have a MASSIVE effect on the balance of the entire game so, yes, it affects me even if I don’t do it.

How is it going to have an effect on balance?

Because people will suddenly start coming to the forums crying about dueling balance???

(edited by Lord Jaguar.9504)

Dueling System

in Suggestions

Mrpopo.4593

How is going to have an effect on balance?

Because people will suddenly start coming to the forums crying about dueling balance???

so let them cry ppl are about everything any ways so who cares?

Dueling System

in Suggestions

Cupid.1796

How MASSIVE exactly and why would it effect you even if you didnt play? everyone has givin a valid point and held their argument. I could see people complaining when they lose, or bragging when they win creating tension, but nothing more. This is inevitable in any game where 2 or more people can compete.

Dueling System

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gao Gao.4973

Gao Gao.4973

dueling should be included because it would be fun, and seemingly not hard to implement.

Baiyun – Necromancer
Member of Talons [BT]
Fort Aspenwood

Dueling System

in Suggestions

DavidGX.1723

How MASSIVE exactly and why would it effect you even if you didnt play? everyone has givin a valid point and held their argument. I could see people complaining when they lose, or bragging when they win creating tension, but nothing more. This is inevitable in any game where 2 or more people can compete.

I’ve already mentioned the potential effects. Read a few posts back.

Dueling System

in Suggestions

Mrpopo.4593

david you have already said your opinion and it has no real reasoning , you seem to be the only one that doesn’t want dueling in this game do you not want to own your friends in a fight? it’s meant to have fun. stop being a serious sam

Dueling System

in Suggestions

DavidGX.1723

david you have already said your opinion and it has no real reasoning , you seem to be the only one that doesn’t want dueling in this game do you not want to own your friends in a fight? it’s meant to have fun. stop being a serious sam

I posted my reasoning for it.

Dueling System

in Suggestions

Cupid.1796

I’ve already mentioned the potential effects. Read a few posts back.

Unbalanced 1v1 could have already been argued through an unlucky PvP or WvW encounter. I’ve dueled my brother in that sense and lost. I’d find having all the same EQ and whatnot and duelling PvP and THEN losing would already justify arguing over class imbalances, but I haven’t seen that argued yet.

Dueling System

in Suggestions

Nightingale.6820

I posted my reasoning for it.

No. you posted an opinion. not the reasoning behind it.

there is no constructive critic against the idea except that it might change the game.
exactly why would it do that? (except for the obvious change of a new game mode and more content)

*didn’t really read trough the entire thread… but I’m fairly certain i know which posts are relevant.

Dueling System

in Suggestions

Mrpopo.4593

now hes just trolling the thread just ignore him he has nothing to back his words up

Dueling System

in Suggestions

DavidGX.1723

now hes just trolling the thread just ignore him he has nothing to back his words up

Are you people really that unable or unwilling to scroll up? Fine, here’s a link https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Dueling-System/first#post206266

Dueling System

in Suggestions

Cupid.1796

Ive argued that statement, via PvP and WvW experiences.

Dueling System

in Suggestions

DavidGX.1723

Ive argued that statement, via PvP and WvW experiences.

Very ineffectively. I don’t honestly think that adding a (potentially, massively) unbalanced dueling system to the game would be acceptable by most people. They’ve already stated that the game is not balanced for 1v1 encounters. Two days, maximum, after dueling is added the forums will look something like this…

FIX DUELS
DUELING SUXX
OMG NERF CLASSHERE
OMG BUFF CLASSHERE
GW2 IS UNBALANCED GARBAGE1!!1!one!1!eleven!11

So, then what? If they don’t fix the 1v1 balance, then people will complain until the end of time in the game and on the forums. If they try to fix it, they have to adjust the balance of the entire game. That affects everyone, even the people who don’t duel. The same type of thing happened in WoW when they added arenas to a system that wasn’t balanced for very small pvp encounters.

Dueling System

in Suggestions

Nightingale.6820

Are you people really that unable or unwilling to scroll up? Fine, here’s a link https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Dueling-System/first#post206266

Why would people complaining change the balance?

Any good game dev. won’t listen to the forum masses. they will look at forums, sure. but they will base their decisions on stats.

and people will only bother complaining if it gives you some kind of reward.
if you can’t gain ANYTHING from it, people won’t care as much.

Edit: wrong word at wrong place.

Edit2:

The same type of thing happened in WoW when they added arenas to a system that wasn’t balanced for very small pvp encounters.

The reason people complained was because of the major rewards and tournaments available to arenas. I’ve only ever heard a couple of people even talking about dueling balance in WoW. and of those handful i can only remember one complaining, but then again he botted things more than he played the game.

(edited by Nightingale.6820)

Dueling System

in Suggestions

Posted by: kokhlos.2497

kokhlos.2497

Has there been any Anet position on dueling mentioned anywhere?

(yes real kokhlos)

Dueling System

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

All that trouble adds up to:

1. Joining the mists.
  2. Joining an empty room in the browser.
  3. Having your friend join on you.

Yeah, that’s really a lot of effort to practice. Oh wait, no it isn’t; and PvPers have been doing it since the BWEs. It gives you exactly the environment you’re after with dueling, and get this, you actually practice on the maps in play.

You should really take the time to build a solid argument for why dueling should be implemented sooner rather than later, because as it stands, it’s redundant.
Anet has already stated in a GW2guru post about 6 months ago that dueling is a feature that the community wants to see and they may implement it down the road. I think it would be a cool QoL feature, but it’s not needed for the game to have legs, as you seem to think.

In conclusion, thanks for completely missing the point of my post, instead opting to attack me as “trying to be a Anet feature rep.” You truly are the king of non-constructive posts.

Playing in an empty room doesn’t prevent other people from joining, which WILL happen. Asking them to leave isn’t very polite either since they will be using the hot join button. What the other person said, “Let suggestions be suggestions.”.

Dueling System

in Suggestions

Posted by: Yozoh.8179

Yozoh.8179

+1
I really want this in the game also. It’s fun to test out your new build against a friend or guild-mate and see how well your character handles a 1v1 match.