Dungeon ranking... The Theory

in Suggestions

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

Ill make this one short.

Something that would make Dungeons even more interesting would be an end ranking. So for example: after collecting tokens from the dungeon, there would be a menu for us to view that shows the list of members in party. We would get to see how much damage each person did, how much healing they did, who died the most, who died the least, who took the most damage, who did the most conditions, who revived the most, who hit the most targets. Such stats would not only make dungeons more competitive and fun, it would also help show how each class and build effects dungeons. A good example of this is with my guild, where I believe Rangers are absolutely worthless in dungeons but my guild mate refuses to believe me and says Mesmers are a waste in a dungeon. Thats just one example and use, but I def think this would be a great feature no matter how you look at it. Sorry for bad grammar I just woke up lol… thoughts?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Urthona.3198

Urthona.3198

Given the somewhat sparse nature of the combat log, I somehow doubt the game is capable of tracking some of this stuff.

I’m not against a ranking system on principle, but I would only be in favor of one that was accurate and gave an in-depth look to all helpful roles in a group, so no class gets shafted unfairly by players who don’t understand the limited data they’re looking at. (Ever play WoW? Remember the issues disc priests had with the game not being able to measure their absorption?) Even then, the reality is that most people wouldn’t care. They’ll pick up the gold from their AC speed runs and be done with it. Therefore, while I wouldn’t mind seeing it, I’m not sure it’s a good use of developer time at the moment.

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

The game doesn’t seem to track very well things like condition damage and I’m sure it can’t track more complex things like damage avoided with interruptions, stealth, crowd control and the like.
Such stats would only mislead players into thinking those number are what really matters, when they are not.

What matters is the results, which is simply less player defeats and more monster kill in less time, to ‘clean’ as much of the dungeon in as little time as possible.

When I read “ranking” I though you were talking about something like GW1’s challenge rankings.
That could be actually nice. Get to the end killing more enemies in less time (skipping enemies would get you less score), and you get to the top of the ranking, and the first 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th to 10th in the World (server) get a reward at the end of the month, and ANet can also check on them to see exploits the people encouraged by the ranking may be used to do faster killings.
Then, to see the ranking, check the website or talk to the ‘host’ NPC by the door of the dungeon.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

The game doesn’t seem to track very well things like condition damage and I’m sure it can’t track more complex things like damage avoided with interruptions, stealth, crowd control and the like.
Such stats would only mislead players into thinking those number are what really matters, when they are not.

What matters is the results, which is simply less player defeats and more monster kill in less time, to ‘clean’ as much of the dungeon in as little time as possible.

When I read “ranking” I though you were talking about something like GW1’s challenge rankings.
That could be actually nice. Get to the end killing more enemies in less time (skipping enemies would get you less score), and you get to the top of the ranking, and the first 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th to 10th in the World (server) get a reward at the end of the month, and ANet can also check on them to see exploits the people encouraged by the ranking may be used to do faster killings.
Then, to see the ranking, check the website or talk to the ‘host’ NPC by the door of the dungeon.

this is a great idea

in Suggestions

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Normally, I’m against making PvE competitive, but I like Mithran’s idea.

• Those who want to compete, could; those who don’t, wouldn’t lose out (much).
  • It is results-oriented: if a support-heavy team can gut foes faster than a DPS-heavy team, they get a better score.
John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Urthona.3198

Urthona.3198

Since people already tend to go as fast as possible anyway, I don’t see how Mithran’s idea would drastically alter anything. I probably wouldn’t go out of my way to participate, but I wouldn’t be against it.