Elementalist Improvements...

in Suggestions

Posted by: Acension.9270

Acension.9270

Recently I have been focusing on the Elementalist quite a bit and i have been thinking of some improvements there could be, for example:

Elementalist Weapon Swapping
Something that has really put me off playing a Elementalist is not being able to swap weapon sets. All weapon sets have completely different play styles and we are forced to stick with one of them, its unfair when other classes are able to swap when they feel the need and we cant. I know Elementalists have the four different attunements to swap between but surely it will still be easy to use even if we are swapping the weapon.

Elementalists low defense
I know an Elelementalist is a mage type and mages overall don’t have the best defense, but I find Elementalists have the lowest out of all the three light armoured classes in the game. If I want to do a high damage build to deal out some good hits, when i get hit by a mob (or a player in sPvP ) I can nearly lose all my health in 1-4 hits which personally I find to be very weak. Necromancers and Mesmers on the other hand can survive really well in PvE and sPvP etc.

Please leave comments on this thread if you agree or disagree with me,
From Jack.

Trolls :)

in Suggestions

Acension.9270

Please don’t take this as a rant just simple suggestions.

in Suggestions

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

1) 4 Attunements over 2 weapons would give you access to 40 weapon skills.

I think it’s more about sacrificing versatility of different weapon play-styles for versatility to have more skills, than making it more complex. If you want to mix the play-style up a bit, take a Conjure weapon.

If weapon-swapping caused all attunements to go into a cool-down so you couldn’t cycle ridiculously fast, I wouldn’t have a problem with it.

2) Mind me asking what build you run?

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

(edited by TheDaiBish.9735)

in Suggestions

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

weapon swap? well you already got 20 weapon skills you can use on the fly, where other classes (not counting engi ofc) have only 10, surely that is more than enough.

As for defence, well you don’t have less defense as such than any other cloth class, as you using same armor as them, but ofc if you want to go for high damage you have to sacrifices stats like toughness and vitality, so yes if you play an elemetalist is pure fire attunement with only offensive stats you WILL take a lot of dmg. So learn your class maybe? does earth atunment say you anything? quite a few nice defensive skills there. The mesmers and Necroes you see survive really well are ppl taht know there class really well and might not be full glass canon builds

in Suggestions

Acension.9270

I think it’s more about sacrificing versatility of different weapon play-styles for versatility to have more skills, than making it more complex. If you want to mix the play-style up a bit, take a Conjure weapon.

If weapon-swapping caused all attunements to go into a cool-down so you couldn’t cycle ridiculously fast, I wouldn’t have a problem with it.

I haven’t really found a secure build I have just been testing ones i have found

in Suggestions

Acension.9270

weapon swap? well you already got 20 weapon skills you can use on the fly, where other classes (not counting engi ofc) have only 10, surely that is more than enough.

As for defence, well you don’t have less defense as such than any other cloth class, as you using same armor as them, but ofc if you want to go for high damage you have to sacrifices stats like toughness and vitality, so yes if you play an elemetalist is pure fire attunement with only offensive stats you WILL take a lot of dmg. So learn your class maybe? does earth atunment say you anything? quite a few nice defensive skills there. The mesmers and Necroes you see survive really well are ppl taht know there class really well and might not be full glass canon builds

Oh and I have a necro and mesmer, and what i meant was them 2 classes have more survive ability.

in Suggestions

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

I haven’t really found a secure build I have just been testing ones i have found

What sort of play-style are you after then?

Anyhows, Knight (PWR/PRE/TOUGH) armour is always good, with accessories that boost Vitality.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nox Aeterna.2965

Nox Aeterna.2965

First , attunements are made to combo , that means , 20 skills help nothing , they are meant to combo to form what other classes get with 10 skills , so what you think is an good thing , is actually a gap.

Second , eles got the lowest pure survival in the game , Smallest HP pool + Light armor. Necros , unless the player is really really bad , are imortal on normal PvE , never leved a mesmer to 80, so wont talk about it , but from what i heard , they also die hard using ilus. (Not saying pure defense eles die fast either , they can tank well , but they need to focus on this … while my necro still survives without problems going full dps.)

I think eles do need balance , that said , i dont really think these changes are what the class needs.

I think Anet would do a better job than me finding how to balance them.

Gear Grind: Confirmed – Searching New MMO: Found – Changing MMO: Waiting Launch

in Suggestions

Acension.9270

What sort of play-style are you after then?

Anyhows, Knight (PWR/PRE/TOUGH) armour is always good, with accessories that boost Vitality.

I’m after a play style that can do good damage but wont get killed quickly.

in Suggestions

Acension.9270

First , attunements are made to combo , that means , 20 skills help nothing , they are meant to combo to form what other classes get with 10 skills , so what you think is an good thing , is actually a gap.

Second , eles got the lowest pure survival in the game , Smallest HP pool + Light armor. Necros , unless the player is really really bad , are imortal on normal PvE , never leved a mesmer to 80, so wont talk about it , but from what i heard , they also die hard using ilus. (Not saying pure defense eles die fast either , they can tank well , but they need to focus on this … while my necro still survives without problems going full dps.)

I think eles do need balance , that said , i dont really think these changes are what the class needs.

I think Anet would do a better job than me finding how to balance them.

Yh i agree with that they need balancing.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fievre.4510

Fievre.4510

My ele doesn’t have issues in sPvP as long as it isn’t, like, 1v4 or something stupid. I’ve got sup earth runes and a knight’s amulet. Stats:

Not as buff as my necro or mesmer when I SPvP on them, but it kills faster and survives better in my experience.

Eles may have the lowest base hp but that doesn’t immediately translate into lowest survival. You won’t survive if you sit there trying to tank hits, but that’s not what the class was designed to do. Even if you go D/D and are in melee range, you aren’t just standing there wailing on the dude and still taking hits, you have to move. It’s a really mobile class.

You also have to build around your weaknesses as a player and according to what you’re going to be fighting. If something keeps catching up to you? Bring snares. Hits hard and hits often? Blinds. Poisons, bleeds, burns, etc.? Condition removal. Need a personal tank? Ele glyph will give you some time, a bit more if you’re thinking enough and are able to put out a few heals that hit it.

Like I said, eles are really mobile, and versatile. You should almost always be moving and switching attunements.

Attachments:

in Suggestions

Posted by: Diknak.8534

Diknak.8534

As an elementalist, I can tell you that this would be OP as hell. Maybe allow us to swap out of combat, but in combat swapping would be way too powerful.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kirshe.6872

Kirshe.6872

I agree with Diknak. I would love to have a off-combat weaponswap. This way I dont need to manual equip and I will have space for more stuff in my bags. This is not gamebreaking, since I am not in a combat.

I suggest that the engineer gets the same stuff.

in Suggestions

Posted by: PlagueParade.7942

PlagueParade.7942

My ele doesn’t have issues in sPvP as long as it isn’t, like, 1v4 or something stupid. I’ve got sup earth runes and a knight’s amulet. Stats:

Not as buff as my necro or mesmer when I SPvP on them, but it kills faster and survives better in my experience.

Eles may have the lowest base hp but that doesn’t immediately translate into lowest survival. You won’t survive if you sit there trying to tank hits, but that’s not what the class was designed to do. Even if you go D/D and are in melee range, you aren’t just standing there wailing on the dude and still taking hits, you have to move. It’s a really mobile class.

You also have to build around your weaknesses as a player and according to what you’re going to be fighting. If something keeps catching up to you? Bring snares. Hits hard and hits often? Blinds. Poisons, bleeds, burns, etc.? Condition removal. Need a personal tank? Ele glyph will give you some time, a bit more if you’re thinking enough and are able to put out a few heals that hit it.

Like I said, eles are really mobile, and versatile. You should almost always be moving and switching attunements.

Sounds like a fun and challenging class. Think you’ve convinced me to roll an ele next. Btw what’s the mask you have there in the pic as your helm? What does it look like when it’s seen and where is the most likely place to get it?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sherman.4631

Sherman.4631

2 of those change will never happen, people have been asking for change like these for 3 months and Anet barely respond to those, I guess thats what you get for not paying 15$ a month. =/

We’re out of chicken

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tad.4109

Tad.4109

i would love to see an out-of-combat weapon swapping mechanic implemented. right now, switching out weapon sets just isn’t fun and there is no incentive to do so.

i also think my elementalist is way too squishy. as a result, i find myself continually frustrated with this character class.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fishbait.6723

Fishbait.6723

Weapon swap would be easy.
Stick it on a cd like others.
Can also set it so if you use skill 1 using Staff, then weapon swap, skill 1 is on some cd when switch to daggers or what ever you`d use.

That or do what I now do. Flat out refuse to rummage through bags constantly & /sit back & yawn & stare at the scenery ;p

As for conjured weapons, meh!
Short use time on them stops melee Ele`/Ranged Ele` from using the opposite & if you hope to find your other spawned weapon when your current one runs out,, someone`s already half inched it, so tough

“We want you to play the game, not the UI” Arenanet.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Top-right-GO-away/first#post2096524
Rocking Wizard Wars until this mess of a game is fixed…

in Suggestions

Fievre.4510

Sounds like a fun and challenging class. Think you’ve convinced me to roll an ele next. Btw what’s the mask you have there in the pic as your helm? What does it look like when it’s seen and where is the most likely place to get it?

That’s exactly what they are. When people can’t nail down a playstyle in two hours they get all irritable and blame the class. You really just have to stick with it. Also it’s just the Heritage mask, which unfortunately clips a bit with the hair I’ve picked. :C

Attachments:

in Suggestions

Posted by: Darkever.9732

Darkever.9732

If we ignore the bunker build, which is incredibly boring, it’s true that Elementalist have currently a hard time playing solo. Just to make an example, my War lv40 is much much easier to play in lv40- areas than my Ele lv80 in the same areas.
Elementalists play just fine in groups, where they can support the entire team and deal huge AoE damage, but they struggle when they are alone.

The problem is not the lack of weapon swapping, but rather the lowest hp and armor in the game together with the almost complete lack of defensive mechanism (unless you use focus, which has some). Also, I think some skills from air and water attunement need a buff: I find myself using those only for running, desperate healing, or when all strong skills from other attunements are in cd.

in Suggestions

Fievre.4510

If we ignore the bunker build, which is incredibly boring, it’s true that Elementalist have currently a hard time playing solo. Just to make an example, my War lv40 is much much easier to play in lv40- areas than my Ele lv80 in the same areas.
Elementalists play just fine in groups, where they can support the entire team and deal huge AoE damage, but they struggle when they are alone.

The problem is not the lack of weapon swapping, but rather the lowest hp and armor in the game together with the almost complete lack of defensive mechanism (unless you use focus, which has some). Also, I think some skills from air and water attunement need a buff: I find myself using those only for running, desperate healing, or when all strong skills from other attunements are in cd.

Bunker is fine, not my cup of tea though so I don’t play it.

I usually roll with scepter/dagger in SPvP and have no issues – none, other than being outplayed sometimes – with surviving. You just really have to pay attention lol. In PVE I can run around kiting with a staff, or smacking stuff with daggers and there aren’t problems unless I’m just standing there.

Back to SPvP, if we’re looking at lack of survivability, and this is just in regards to S/D and how I run it:

I have a bit over 19k HP, I believe I put the image up of stats and stuff (I’m pretty sure it was this thread at least lol)

With Rock Barrier, I’m up to almost 1600 toughness/2500 armor. Dust Devil blinds, Earthquake is a nice knockdown. Updraft knocks back, Blinding Flash is another blind, if I need to I can use Ride the Lightning to get away. Frost Armor slows. You can use Cleansing Wave as a small heal and condition removal, and Water Trident as another heal on the run (so long as you put WT in the right place and it doesn’t end up behind you while you’re moving). Mist Form is always good to have, Cleansing Flame is good condition removal, and Signet of Earth is another snare.

Applying auras gives me protection, fury, and swiftness; switching attunements gives me a boon. All of this plus dodging and a bit of awareness makes eles a lot of fun IMO. I don’t die unless I was dumb and didn’t dodge a stun before HB or something silly.

Basically, when I die it’s almost always because I wasn’t paying attention, or because I was outplayed. Not because I’m on an ele lol. I can’t faceroll as hard, sure (A few weeks after the game was released I made a necro and made up some terrible wells build and had no idea what I was doing, I just put wells EVERYWHERE and crossed my fingers. I used my elite and just hit all the buttons, had no clue what they did, and like.. never died. It was bad) but it’s not bad once you start figuring things out.

It’s just that a lot of people don’t seem to want to lol.

in Suggestions

Posted by: HavenAE.2603

HavenAE.2603

I don’t think it’s so much the weapon swapping thing that turned me off to elementalist.. but more something that I’ve noticed with most classes.

There just isn’t enough ability customize to your skills.

I stopped playing elementalist because I got bored with their skills. If I had the option to have alternate skills I could use per weapon (and make this for all classes honestly) so that I wasn’t doing the same things all the time or using the exact same skills as every other elementalist ever minute of every fight then it might be a different story.

What I’m saying is for each slot give us options kind of like how you can choose from a set of skills for 6-9 but for 1-5 as well.

The problem is I understand that they limited skills because most MMOs you have 100 skills and only use a few. Guildwars went to the opposite extreme and gave a handful and you use most of them. The problem is there’s so few that you get bored with it.

The problem wasn’t that there were so many skills in other MMOs, the problem was a lot of those many skills were pointless or useless. Give us skills that are feasible and we’ll use them.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

You read my mind.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Elementalist-weapon-swap-2/first

Something we’ve been working on for a few weeks now to solve the elementalists many problems by giving it a form of in-combat weapon swapping.

• In just about every long battle, dungeon bosses and WvW especially, you will frequently be locked into a weapon inappropriate for the situation, sometimes completely inapplicable even. You should be able to adapt in combat like every other class can, but the elementalist abilities, even spread across four attunements, are too similar to each other in range and output to allow for the in-combat adaptation every other class has available. Now one could argue that they should overhaul the elementalist weapon abilities, but personally I think it would be a better idea to allow some form of weapon swapping.
  • Complete lack of build versatility. Believe it or not, the Ele was severely overpowered early in the beta, then got hit hard with nerfs. But even then the Arcane stance dance build reigned unchallenged as the only PvP viable build. Simple fact is, buffs will not create more diversity, they will only serve to further cement the stance dance build in place. Some form of change to the system is necessary.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

in Suggestions

Posted by: MrsAngelD.6971

MrsAngelD.6971

Out of combat weapon swapping would be nice, but in combat would be to over powered. My main is my level 80 elementalist. And it took me a while but I eventually realized that the solution to my survivability wasn’t exactly the most obvious thing. So I sat down one evening and really read through my traits and skills. After playing with them a bit I worked up a build that gave me some regen and toughness and allowed me to swap between scepter dagger offhand or staff depending on the situation I was going into. I’ve been having a blast ever since. I also found using conjured weapons with the trait that gives double the charges to them to be really great.