Elementalist needs weapon switch skill

in Suggestions

Posted by: Antiriad.7160

Antiriad.7160

In both pvp and pve I have to switch weapons manually all the time, which is extremely annoying. I switch between staff for swiftness while travelling as well as AoE healing and far away attacks and a layout for combat on actual engagements. This is really a pita, I’d actually go as far and say the class is partially broken like this. Why should other classes get the ability to switch weapons and elementalists don’t? It doesn’t make sense really. Thanks for your time.

Colin ‘The Liar’ Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on equal power base.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Signet of Forums.4397

Signet of Forums.4397

Why should other classes get the ability to switch weapons and elementalists don’t?

Because the ability to switch attunements already gives elementalists access to twenty weapon skills in combat, versus the baseline ten that is accomplished via weapon swapping. Forty would be a tad much.

That said, I don’t like how elementalists are basically stuck fighting at a particular range for the whole duration of combat, while other classes can have melee for one weapon set and ranged for another, if they so choose. I don’t really know what a good solution is, though. I guess summoned weapons can fill that gap, but that doesn’t seem like the most elegant solution to me. Maybe that is just supposed to the tradeoff for the versatility that they otherwise have.

Therefore we proceed to write a sig.

(edited by Signet of Forums.4397)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

Ele’s are fine the way they are use your attunements, just the same way engineers use their kits. these 2 classes have access to 20+ spells and abilities on a single weapon it would make it annoying to have 40+ abilities on 2 weapons and it would make it just like older generation mmo’s where you have bars upon bars of abilities you seldom ever use.

in Suggestions

Posted by: RoyHarmon.5398

RoyHarmon.5398

It’s set up that way because elementalists have the option of switching attunements. As I understand it, there are some air-related abilities that would give you swiftness without changing weapons. Perhaps those might be worth pursuing? Especially this one.

“It is the stupidest children who are the most childish
and the stupidest grown-ups who are the most grown-up.”
- C. S. Lewis

in Suggestions

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

Why should other classes get the ability to switch weapons and elementalists don’t?

Because the ability to switch attunements already gives elementalists access to twenty weapon skills in combat, versus the baseline ten that is accomplished via weapon swapping. Forty would be a tad much.

That said, I don’t like how elementalists are basically stuck fighting at a particular range, while other classes can have melee for one weapon set and ranged for another, if they so choose. I don’t really know what a good solution is, though. I guess summoned weapons can fill that gap, but that doesn’t seem like the most elegant solution to me.

attunements do this range / melee for ele’s to mate, switch to air and you have short range melee like abilities specially if you have dagger / dagger combo.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vyniea.2054

Vyniea.2054

Weapon switching out of combat maybe.

But in combat? No way.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rarespawn.6028

Rarespawn.6028

Funny, when I read this I read the title as Elementalists Need Weapons ‘Kill’ Switch. To which I completely agree! (for some reason my elementalist will not always stop attacking after the creature is dead).

But no…I do not agree that elementalists need the weapons switch skill. We have the ability to change between all of our attunements. That IS our ‘weapon switch skill’ Earth to air to fire to water.

Mesmer 80, Elementalist 80, Guardian 80, Ranger 40

in Suggestions

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

agreed, I’d LOVE a weapon switch, even if it was just OoC, but honestly, in combat wouldn’t be as OP as people seem to think

someone will say something along the lines of “but you get attunements instead” to which I will say “ok, then point me to the melee attunement for staves”

other classes abilities are significantly different based on their weapons, my alts are mesmer and necro, and the weapon switches for them offer FARmore variety than elemental attunements, mesmer I use a GS for range, then when an enemy gets close, I switch to Sw/P and melee them. necro I use a staff when I want to AoE, but if I’m up against a single enemy I go to S/D to start stacking conditions, their weapons play SIGNIFICANTLY differently to attunement switching.

as an elementalist I can do only one thing with different flavors, either burns and splash damage, healing, control, or bleeds. no matter the attunement, you can only be long, mid, or melee, not long and mid.

not only that, but more than once I’ve sold my dagger without realizing since switching from S/D to staff switches the position of the scepter, but dumps the dagger in the first available slot.

I’d also say engineers can benefit from this as well, the restriction on weapon switching only makes sense for kit users, for turret and elixir users there isn’t any reason to not have a weapon switch

(if not, an interesting idea could be to make our summon fiery GS elite into a regular utility skill, and replace it with a “Glyph of Elemental Weapon” with unlimited duration and uses, which changes form based on what attunement you are)

(edited by Calcifire.1864)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rage The Numbers.7943

Rage The Numbers.7943

I would vote for out-of-combat weapon switching ability purely for convenience as well as allowing ele to “store” their secondary weapon in a different place than their inventory where a potentially accidental sell/destroy/salvage could happen.

Rage The Nornynorn – Guild Leader [RR] Reddit Refugees
Sanctum of Rall
http://www.reddit.com/r/Reddit_Refugees – Visit the site for Recruitment!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Signet of Forums.4397

Signet of Forums.4397

That said, I don’t like how elementalists are basically stuck fighting at a particular range, while other classes can have melee for one weapon set and ranged for another, if they so choose. I don’t really know what a good solution is, though. I guess summoned weapons can fill that gap, but that doesn’t seem like the most elegant solution to me.

attunements do this range / melee for ele’s to mate, switch to air and you have short range melee like abilities specially if you have dagger / dagger combo.

If you go dagger / dagger, all of your stuff is very short range or gap closers to get within that range. What I’m saying is that you cannot effectively switch your optimal range while in combat, unlike most classes. At the opposite end, if you go staff, then you are about long range, period. (Sure, you can attack at short range with it, but that’s not really where you want to be.)

Therefore we proceed to write a sig.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Keeper.9140

Keeper.9140

I would like to support out of combat weapon switching for elementalists and engineers.

It frees up some space from inventory and makes it easy to swap weapons between events or enemies.

The thing is, even if elementalist has access to four attunements, it does not change the skillset type. Staff skillset stays staff skillset regardless of what attunement you have currently. Same goes for other weapons.

Not too long ago I was in a situation where I would have liked to swap my staff to dual daggers, but I kept looking for the other dagger and before I knew it, I was already back in combat. This totally wrecked my play because I was missing offhand weapon.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Passiflora.2047

Passiflora.2047

I suppose I can understand their reasoning for not giving us one, since we already have 4 attunements to keep track of.

That said, I would LOVE to have a weapon swap, even if it was out of combat only! Why, you ask? Well, I find the staff is by far the best for DE’s, but for regular solo play, I much prefer my scepter/focus.

And having to manually switch out my weapon every time I encounter a DE, which usually means doing so while there are 5+ aggressive mobs running around on my screen, is a pain. And then I have to remember to change it back after, but then I might just have to switch it back right away for a “follow-up” DE, but if I just leave the staff equipped a bit longer then I might forget, and not remember til I find myself in a fight, and then I will finally swap back. And then another DE will happen and I can do it all over again!

. . . the above is somewhat overstated, of course, but you get the point.

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

As long as it’s disabled during battle, and you can ONLY use the switch while you can also change other skills and the weapons manually themselves, I’m fine with it, and would actually like that.

Same for engineer.

Give them weapon switch, but remove the button from the UI and disable the command and the functionality for them while in combat.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Antiriad.7160

Antiriad.7160

Yes, it can be (and I even agree it should be) out of combat! It’s just so you dont have to search all your backpacks all the time for where the frigging focus went from when you switched to staff and do that while running around and oh look you’re in combat! and all this bs like every other minute -_-

Colin ‘The Liar’ Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on equal power base.”