Emotes and Ignores, an RPers problem.

in Suggestions

Posted by: CaptainVanguard.4925

CaptainVanguard.4925

When I “ignore” someone and I do not wish to speak to them that does not mean I want to hear their emotes not only emoting but emotes from evidently half a block away.

There are two things id like A-net to address for this, minor things but I feel they could easily be added:

1. When you block someone you can no longer hear their emotes just as you can no longer hear their texts.
2. Emotes from unblocked players should only be able to be heard in an area of 10 yards from each other, at most.

While I do understand scripting and time taken would be accounted for, I do not believe this is something that would tax the developers to take into consideration, its a minor gripe that I feel effectively lets people bypass my block command and thus continue to interrupt my friends and I trying to RP in a comfortable environment away from those that want to disrupt it.

So please A-net, think about that minority that we call role players, and even for those that don’t RP and find hearing peoples emotes from 50 miles away quite annoying.

Please give a care.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

You don’t HEAR ANYTHING at all so that whole premise is laughable. However, the fact that you actually blocked somebody’s text is less than adult, but to have such an attitude toward reading the name of this person you obviously loath so much that you are here complaining about reading “John Smith cheered” and stewing over it and actually expecting Sent to make a fundamental change to THEIR game to cater to your psychological trivial rubbish shows a level of immaturity I can’t even fathom out of anyone over 8 years old. Get over it. Get over the animocity. Get over yourself. Maybe the developers should be fixing bugs and mechanical flaws and not babysitting silly whiners who search diligently for reasons to be angry about nothing in life…just maybe. There are people without jobs, without homes, people who’ve lost loved ones in tragic accidents. And your world has been shaken to the core from READING “Joe Six pack is sitting”? Wow

in Suggestions

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

The OP probably doesn’t mean /cheer or /salute text (though if you ignore someone for spamming those in chat, then you don’t want to still get the spam scrolling your window). S/he takes issue with harassers who can just /em hateful language at you.

The custom emotes let someone say anything they want for all in a large radius to hear. And it’s not always innocent. Back in beta we were doing an RP beach gathering. A couple of Asura came along and emoted gross and explicit sexual acts on top of people just sitting and conversing. That’s when we learned that blocking didn’t stop the emotes. I’m sure that pair of accounts got banned (and equally sure they were among the free accounts available at that time), and many many reports were made by beta testers that this needed fixing. But it’s still an issue.

Blocking is quite adult, it’s the recommended mature way to get away from a harasser. Block and report, don’t get into acrimonious debate. So blocking needs to work.

in Suggestions

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

Tman, you clearly did not read what the OP wrote, and I fail to see what jobless people and tragedies have to do with the OPs suggestion.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

I disagree with the OP. There is a certain amount of responsibility on the player. The grey text of an emote is easy to ignore as it is overshadowed by every other text type you could be using. The cost is not worth the benefit. The distance of emotes is also fine, imo because as an RPer I and other use the /e interchangeably with /s. As RPers, we have to learn to share the game with non-RPers and those RPers who don’t share out RP stories. The current system isn’t unreasonable.

in Suggestions

Tman.6349

Mainly that there are real problems in the world. Emotes can be filtered out as well. But I can hardly imagine why anyone takes map chat trolls so personally that it would ruin there whole game experience when GW has so much to offer outside of jackazzes that have nothing Better to do than troll the chats. Life has many more trials and tribulations to offer than trivial things like jerks in a video game. That’s all. Sorry for my lack of compassion on the issue as I should have had a much more heartfelt approach to the dire situation. I guess thinking about my grandmother dying of cancer in the hospital clouded my judgement a bit. My apologies.

in Suggestions

CaptainVanguard.4925

I love the fact you blew this convo out of proportion Tman, not only did you entirely ignore what I just said but you intended to insult me unprovoked, and its a PERFECT example of what I am trying to say, this kind of problem wont go away until it goes, away.

Maybe I just want to RP in peace with my colleagues and not have to know what the other guy half a block away is doing, maybe I don’t “care” what they are doing, even if I haven’t ignored them.

So why should we have an emote broadcast that can cover an entire district? Its literally as bad as giving trolls a yell that can breach the ignore button.

Anonymity and a desire for isolationism is as much relevant in a game with a multiplayer community, as socializing, after all, the mmo is an escape from reality, not another part of it so if anything, the entitlement to be allowed to live free of some guy abusing the emote button to write “X char is a queer” repeatedly or whatever stupidity I have to endure from people like that just doesn’t justify itself.

No, this “is” a priority issue and it “does” need addressing, players have a right to literally want to “NOT” talk to people if they choose to, multiplayer communities don’t have to be expanded to ‘everyone’ and you don’t “have” to conform with the majority if you don’t want to if the minority you are in are enjoying themselves just fine.

So why should I have to endure the random ramblings of people abusing the /e button? Or for that matter, why should I still be hearing people I have clearly BLOCKED from my account.

Simply put, if I don’t want to talk to you I shouldn’t have to, and I don’t see why peoples emotes should be exempt from that rule of thumb when I can clearly block everything else they do.

As stated, the mature thing to do when you don’t like someone is don’t feed the troll, but clearly Ive given you what you wanted, attention, you wont be getting it again.

Regardless, thank you for the support Don and yes Uknorthener I do fail to see exactly “how” any of that is related to blocking someone.

Dust, my reply to that is interchanging emotes and say is fine, but when I can see your emotes from an entire block away from the tavern your rping in it seems a tad unrealistic to say the least, not to mention maybe I don’t really “care” what you’re doing in that tavern?

As Donari says, sometimes, you can just exploit these things for the wrong reasons, which is why they shouldn’t be exploitable, period.

in Suggestions

Tman.6349

So you feel you should have a personal area in the game not subject to the opinions or presence of other players to intrude on “your turf”?

in Suggestions

Tman.6349

You can find plenty of solitude in your home instance or any of the dungeons or other areas of the game that are exclusive.

in Suggestions

Tman.6349

Every RP hero needs a RP villian right? lol

(edited by Tman.6349)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

Dust, my reply to that is interchanging emotes and say is fine, but when I can see your emotes from an entire block away from the tavern your rping in it seems a tad unrealistic to say the least, not to mention maybe I don’t really “care” what you’re doing in that tavern?

As Donari says, sometimes, you can just exploit these things for the wrong reasons, which is why they shouldn’t be exploitable, period.

It makes sense. You may not care that a patron across the bar scratched his check from an itch. that doesn’t means it doesn’t exist. It just means that as it happens you can choose not to acknowlege it because you don’t care. Or better yet, if we can ignore the physical presence of a another player in all it’s bright color and bold outline, of someone nearby because they don’t exist in our RP story, then greyed out text should be no problem at all

But when I say used interchangeably, I mean something like: /e shuffles his feet in embarrassment “I don’t know why he would do it” So rather than /e(…….) /s(……) where there would be a pause that may or may not indicate you may be done, I just say what is vocal along with the emote. Basically, I think the emote should have the same range as /s.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vallily.8741

Vallily.8741

Thanks for bumping the post and illustrating his point Tman. Your diligent effort will make sure this issue has the visibility it needs

in Suggestions

Posted by: lordhelmos.7623

lordhelmos.7623

Blocking someone should do the following:

-Filter out all LFG groups with a person from you block list on them
-Block all text from the blocked player an all channels including: whisper, team, guild, map, emote, party, say, and anything else
-Block all mail from the person
-If possible, remove the blocked players model and effects from the blocker’s view

An effective block command should make the person blocked completely invisible to the blocker. By blocking someone it means you want no interaction with that person and no impacts from that person on your playing experience.

For this feature to do anything less than that would make it broken and need of serious fixing.

I would recommend posting the ability to see a blocked persons emotes and anything else in the GAME BUGS forum, as it carries higher weight than suggestions. This forum is pretty much a graveyard for good ideas.

in Suggestions

Tman.6349

I really don’t think this post needs any visibility as it is not a fundamental k with the game that you’re trying to shed some light on to better the community. Rather it is a part of the game that is fine with the exception that it doesn’t cater to the game you’re trying to make out of it? There are numerous reasons why nonlocal, party, map, team and guild cats would have a rather broad range. I do agree that people should not purposefully attack others and curse them in game. Thats no good IMO. But that has nothing to do with changing the range of emotes for everyone so you won’t be inconvenienced. “MMOs are an escape from reality afterall”….“I can see your emotes from an entire block away…..it seems a tad bit unrealistic” lol Part of having freedom doesn’t include the freedom to oppress other peoples freedom. Shy of reporting personally directed vulgarity and/or attacks….Sent hasn’t deemed you entitled you to take ownership of any area of the game. Play however you chose to and ignore the rest that doesn’t fall into your narrow criteria for enjoying the game. RPers aside I’d like to see Sent fix the game they sold to me before fixing the game others have created for themselves. On a side note, as the OP of this silly thread id debate you were the one trying to garner attention.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kulvar.1239

Kulvar.1239

I totally agree. We’re not on GW2 to let people have fun of us.
When we want to ignore someone, it must be a complete ignorance.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

First off, blocking another player if said player is harashing you or is just being a troll, is best option to deal with it. If it is truly bad, report too.
And no matter what others say harrashment through online games (or any other online comunity) is no better than rl bullies, and bullies are horrible people.

I have not seen emotes used in any abusive way, but I am sure some would think of it, although anyone can turn off emote text from the chat box, it is an inconvenience, if emotes are a large part of the gameplay (I don’t roleplay, but I imagine that emotes take a part in it).

It only makes sense to have emotes invisible from blocked players as well as whisper and chat.

It never made sense to me personally that emotes was the entire map and not just in the /s range, but I think the better solution is to improve on the block.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

The range did get increased a little bit ago. It was about perfect before. Still, my agreement and support goes to the need to have blocking actually work. I’ve had friends have to leave MMOs in the past thanks to stalkers hounding them. I myself swapped from Alliance to Horde in WoW to get away from one, though that wasn’t the only factor in the swap, merely the reason I never went back to the Alliance.

Why take it seriously? Because we’re in the game to have fun, not to be called names, sexually harassed, belittled, or have our storytelling mocked and griefed. That’s the stuff the OP wants to keep away, not just stock emotes. If you don’t want to be blocked, don’t be a jerk. It’s so easy to be nice.

in Suggestions

CaptainVanguard.4925

Look I’m not trying to say “the world needs to do what I want” and if that was the case id entitle the entire community to slap me stupid, but everyone has faced the occasional troll that cant be easily defeated by simply /ignoring them on a video game, some are persistent, some even decide to cause long-term trouble.

Reporting them wont fix things, these people are clever, they know the system inside and out which is why I have a right to “deny” people the right to bother me if I so please.

There’s a limit to “freedom of speech” and its when you start using it to abuse it for the sake of hurting others, for fun.

That’s just wrong, unjustifiably wrong, and I am tired of being on MMO’s where I have to ignore someone just for them to log off and onto an alt to continue stalking and harassing you.

So rather than giving power to the GM to fix an already caused problem I’m asking them to think of a way to prevent it, the block command needs upgrading, I want to block peoples emotes, its not much to ask for.

There is a saying, prevention is better than reaction, so in the medium of this this is why I made this topic a raised issue, because by having an improved block function I can prevent this kind of harassment happening in the first place.

The ignorant fail to see there really “are” people out there that cause this kind of problem for others on the internet, in a “continent” that the internet is, where rules are guidelines, the only real way to protect yourself is with your own means to do it.

So why not have a block that can entirely and UTTERLY ignore the person, including their emotes?

I’m not asking you to change the game, I’m asking you to fix what is essentially a bug as posted above.

I may consider trying that too by the way, thanks for that notice.