Engineer/Elementalist Weapon Swapping

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

I don’t know if this has been suggested before but it would be amazing if Engineers and Elementalists could store secondaries and be able to swap weapons only when they’re not in combat.

Right now they have to go into the inventory to swap their weapons (which they do do), so you might as well just make it more convenient, right?

… I still want tengu.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

This has been suggested a lot of times.

They can do just fine swapping weapons out of combat through their inventory. As it stands now, Elementalists have 20 weapon skills in combat, which any other profession has to exit combat and swap both of their weapon sets through their inventory to match.

How far that little candle throws its beams!
So shines a good deed in a naughty world.
- William Shakespear

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

Oh of course. As long as it’s “just fine” we shouldn’t be make suggestions…

… I still want tengu.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

They can do just fine swapping weapons out of combat through their inventory. As it stands now, Elementalists have 20 weapon skills in combat, which any other profession has to exit combat and swap both of their weapon sets through their inventory to match.

Yes. OUT of combat swapping is being requested. How many weapon skills they have IN combat is irrelevant to the topic.
To swap now out of combat the ele/engie must
1) stop moving
2) open inventory
3) look for the weapon(s) wanted
4) put new weapon in place and put the old weapon in a spot where it won’t accidently get sold because its mixed in with weapons picked up as a drop.
5) close inventory

Not only does this take time, but it’s not particularly a good thing to be standing still in a PvP area with the inventory covering your screen while you dig around in it. An out of combat weapon swap is badly needed for the them.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hule.8794

Hule.8794

All we need is probably some quick slot for weapon swaping.
Ele has atunements, so swaping weapons in combat is really bad idea.
Engi can use only pistols or rifle, so not needed to weapon swap. Maybe if another weapon is added. Problem I see with engi is that his kits are horrible.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Yes. OUT of combat swapping is being requested. How many weapon skills they have IN combat is irrelevant to the topic.
1) stop moving
2) open inventory
4) put new weapon in place and put the old weapon in a spot where it won’t accidently get sold because its mixed in with weapons picked up as a drop.
5) close inventory

Not only does this take time, but it’s not particularly a good thing to be standing still in a PvP area with the inventory covering your screen while you dig around in it. An out of combat weapon swap is badly needed for the them.

Really? The fact that elementalists, by default, have twice the weapon skills of all other classes, save very specific builds of Engineer, while in combat is besides the point just because the suggestion was for out of combat weapon switching?

It’s actually extremely relevant. The entire reason they don’t have weapon switching at all is because of that very mechanic. So no, they really shouldn’t get weapon switching. If they want more weapon skills they have to carry those weapons in their inventory, just like every other class has to do.

Engineers also shouldn’t get weapon switching because the whole point of an engineer is to use kits instead of weapons, that’s why they only have access to three weapons in the first place.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

in Suggestions

Posted by: morganabanana.3517

morganabanana.3517

1) stop moving
2) open inventory
5) close inventory

Really? The fact that elementalists, by default, have twice the weapon skills of all other classes, save very specific builds of Engineer, while in combat is besides the point just because the suggestion was for out of combat weapon switching?

It’s actually extremely relevant. The entire reason they don’t have weapon switching at all is because of that very mechanic. So no, they really shouldn’t get weapon switching. If they want more weapon skills they have to carry those weapons in their inventory, just like every other class has to do.

Engineers also shouldn’t get weapon switching because the whole point of an engineer is to use kits instead of weapons, that’s why they only have access to three weapons in the first place.

It’s not so much an issue of skill access, but an issue of frustrating maintenance each time a swap is made.

It wouldn’t be so annoying if switching from 2 weapons to a 1 handed weapon didn’t put the offhand in the next empty place in your inventory instead of next to the main hand weapon. I’ve almost sold weapons because of this.

Also and this is my biggest pet peeve with switching, is having to reset autocasts each time I do. The game remembers your autocast configurations based on the most recent choices regardless of the weapon you are using. With four autocasts resetting even two of these each time i switch weapon sets is tedious after enough times. Doing this multiple times in a dungeon is just irritating.

I wouldn’t want out of combat weapon swapping so badly if they would just add some quality of life changes like remember what my last autocast setting for d/d was instead of using whatever I had set on staff a moment ago. Also if empty slot next to main hand on uneqquip, place offhand.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Weebitt.3157

Weebitt.3157

It would be beneficial it there was a place to set a 2handed weapon, and a place for 2 one handed weapons, so there would be a limited amount of sets to be able to switch between so we don’t have to have “find the other weapon in your inventory” problem.

in Suggestions

Ok, why give weapon swaps out of combat to just two professions?

If you’re going to make it easier, why not give it to everyone? I’d love to swap between my greatsword/sword+torch/Longbow/Sword+axe without having to waste bag space on my ranger.

- William Shakespear

in Suggestions

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

A quickbar function for all professions would prove a very valuable addition. Able to quickly change weapons/armour out of combat, eat food and other consumables on the fly. Rather than having to rummage through your inventory!

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

in Suggestions

See, Oglaf has the right idea there.

I never could figure out why every suggestion for this says in the title to make it specifically for two professions who already have too many skills as it is.

More simply though, look at how ranger pets can be swapped outside of combat. Make the exact same interface, only instead of selecting pets, you select saved gear profiles.

As for the consumables and food…. those are easy, you just keep them in the invisible bag at the bottom of your inventory.

- William Shakespear

in Suggestions

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

1) stop moving
2) open inventory
5) close inventory

those 5 steps are very complicated. As an engineer here’s how I do it.

hit H (or I)
double click (or right click then left click)
hit Esc. (or click the X at the top)
either way, same number of button presses.

its really not a bother at all, IMO. And yes, this has been suggested many times. People who don’t know how to use the interface or manage their inventory want a lot of easy options and make it out to sound a lot harder than it is.

It’s pointless to debate about skill numbers and usage. Eles have 20 skills by default once all elemental attunements are unlocked. Engineers have access to up to 3 or 4 other 5-skill weapon sets on almost no recharge, depending on skills equipped.

it’s not needed. period. stop being lazy.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

in Suggestions

Posted by: HuntsForge.3260

HuntsForge.3260

To be honest Ele’s and Engies have less of a problem here than any other profession as they have less weapons to choose from and switch between. Warriors have to carry 12 weapons for every skill combination, engineers 4 and elementalists 5.

And to clarify im not a warrior complaining as my main is an ele and second is an engi – no warr yet.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

I know full well how to “manage my inventory”. There is no excuse for this sort of sloppy design. A quickbar is core feature in any MMORPG these days.

Why?

Because it is a very, very good feature.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

in Suggestions

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

this been suggested SO many times… use the search feature next time… but yeah anyway IF thy give a out of combat wep swap to engi and*or ele they shoudl give it to ANY class, i do swap weapons out of combat on my thief too for instance. most times i roll a sword/dagger, showtbow but some bosses for instance i just know is not feasible to melee at ALL so i swap the sword/dagger to a pistol/pistol so im all ranged for that fight, so why should i not be allowed to do that faster if ele and engi can? on top ele and specially engi have very FEW different weapons already compared to most if not all other classes so uses less inventory space for it that others do as well

in Suggestions

Any MMORPG these days is a horribly designed financial nightmare. There’s a reason Farmville has more people giving more money than the combined income of every major MMORPG ever.

- William Shakespear

in Suggestions

Posted by: Goloith.6349

Goloith.6349

In all honesty the engineer needs to have its weapon swap slot available for other weapons or kits and usable in combat. We are already giving up damage for versatility, why are we now giving up utility for it? One more utility would really complete the profession.

i7 920 OC 4.2Ghz, 2x 6970s in Eyefinity mode
Davidah (Guardian) Goloith (Engineer)
Achuni (Mesmer) Doreanora (Thief)

in Suggestions

No, Goloith. You’ve got enough as it is. You don’t need more weapon sets. This was playtested, and we know what would happen if engineers had weapon slots.

- William Shakespear

in Suggestions

Goloith.6349

No, Goloith. You’ve got enough as it is. You don’t need more weapon sets. This was playtested, and we know what would happen if engineers had weapon slots.

Ya I do, we’d actually see people creating Engineers instead of leaving them for Guardians, Warriors, Mesmer, & Thieves (till they’re nerfed)

You must be pretty bad if you’re getting face rolled by an Engineer to whine about this. The Elementalist has how many skills at it’s disposal without losing a slot. The more kits we want we have to give up our slots. For many of us that only run 1 or no kits this is a real problem. Even if it meant having the weapon swap cooldown for weapons (not kits) in the weapon swap is reasonable. Even if it meant not having the the toolbelt skill it would be worth it.

The profession isn’t bad, don’t get me wrong, but it is unfinished and this would help towards finishing it.
Also it’s pretty obvious the Engineers want this, this is the most recent post (of the hundreds):
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/engineer/The-engineer-s-dependency-on-slot-skills/first#post1505915

in Suggestions

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Using the inventory is complete garbage and the Dev’s should have caught how annoying this would be to players long term. Nothing’s worse than accidentally selling or breaking down items you actually use in your build because they go to the first available slot. Just like all the other loot and items we pick up along the way. Heck, I’m now using Lionguard items just because their icons in the inventory are easier to spot.

I would like a retooling of the hero tab and weapon swaps completely. We should be able to set up say, up to 4 presets. Swapping between 2 in and 4 out of combat. Here’s the best part Anet, I’d actually PAY for this…… Anything to lessen the growing list of annoyances in this game.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Suggestions

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Maybe a new inventory box/bag where Soulbound items go to first would help in the meantime???

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Suggestions

Goloith.6349

Personally I use the worst FOTM purchasable bags. I put my swapped out gear in the last slots and when I swap gear or compact and my gear isn’t all spread out. Give it a try, its an ok fix.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

we already use the invisible/special bags offered by the game, this though won’t change the fact that weapon swapping out of combat is a real pain sometimes.
so i would suggest a weapon swap for all profession and a consumable hotbar, why put consumable in the game and then using those it’s so messy.
don’t get me wrong i have a very well ordered invisible bag, i can change armor and eat omnomberry bar with closed eye, and that is what i do given the dimension any panel in this game has.

that said pointing out how many skills engi or ele have when the request is an out of combat weapon swap is stupid and boring already. just stop it please doesn’t make any sense. we all can swap out of combat, this would only make it easy

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

in Suggestions

Posted by: Catisa.6507

Catisa.6507

How is an ele/engineer needing to go into inventory any different then any other class who wants a 3rd or 4th or 5th or 6th weapon set?
When you think about it thats what you are asking for, ele has 40 skills which = 2 in combat weapons, and engineer has even more with countless kits so you are asking for a weapon swap in excess of what all other classes get.

AR

(edited by Catisa.6507)