Engineer kits respect the "hide back" option

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

This has been suggested so many times, by so many engineers, it is getting to be comical. I’m begging you: if I have my backpiece hidden, it is because I do not like the look of a backpiece with whatever armor set I am wearing. Why, then, would I want a giant and hideous looking backpack on my character whenever I use a kit? ;_;

For the love of all aesthetics everywhere: let us choose whether the backpack for kits is visible or not!

EDIT: Not all players who want to hide the back piece will want to hide the kit. So, perhaps a second, kit specific option would be more appropriate! =D

(edited by Tolmos.8395)

in Suggestions

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

I support this 1000%!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pandemoniac.4739

Pandemoniac.4739

When you’re PvPing against engineers, it’s nice to have a clue what kit they have equipped before you get a face full of flamethrower. A kit is not a back piece.

Don’t ever think you know what’s right for the other person.
He might start thinking he knows what’s right for you.
—Paul Williams

in Suggestions

Tolmos.8395

When you’re PvPing against engineers, it’s nice to have a clue what kit they have equipped before you get a face full of flamethrower. A kit is not a back piece.

If the kit guns and attacks were in any way ambiguous, I would agree with this. But the grenade kit looks NOTHING like the alchemy gun which looks NOTHING like toolkit wrench. And this says nothing of the attacks themselves. If you can’t distinguish between a flamethrower and a bomb kit when the engineer uses an attack, I can promise you that a backpack isn’t going to help you do that.

So yea, it is a cosmetic back piece and should be treated as such.

in Suggestions

Posted by: apriores.4926

apriores.4926

I personally like the kit bag as a signature of engineer and I always hide the bag gear so I really don’t want that setting to affect the kit bag. If they implement a separate option to hide, I’m OK with it but otherwise, I will not.

in Suggestions

Tolmos.8395

I personally like the kit bag as a signature of engineer and I always hide the bag gear so I really don’t want that setting to affect the kit bag. If they implement a separate option to hide, I’m OK with it but otherwise, I will not.

Ah, you know I didn’t think of that. You’re absolutely right! I’ll modify my original suggestion.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

the problem I see with engies and their stuff.
everything has a charr flavour.

I get it, charr invented engineering.
Doesnt mean other races need to copy their designs.

A human turret could look more inspired by their gods, the flame turret could have balthazaars hounds heads
A sylvari’s gadgets could be more organic like
An asura’s would be more arcane ish.
Norns would be more spirit of the wild-ish

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ibbuli.4027

Ibbuli.4027

the problem I see with engies and their stuff.
everything has a charr flavour.

I get it, charr invented engineering.
Doesnt mean other races need to copy their designs.

A human turret could look more inspired by their gods, the flame turret could have balthazaars hounds heads
A sylvari’s gadgets could be more organic like
An asura’s would be more arcane ish.
Norns would be more spirit of the wild-ish

I was actually thinking this same thing a while back

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aleksander.2965

Aleksander.2965

I support the idea of an option to hide the engineer kit 100%. I don’t really want to play my engineer anymore as the kits look so awful and hideous. I know, ‘taste and preferences’.
Why is there an option to hide gloves and shoulder gear but not for the kit. It is definitely possible to implement this and engineer have asked for this time and time again.
The most important point is that the game takes the styling of the characters as one of its top priorities, especially for the ‘end game’ as all is about customizing and skins. What is the point of having a neat looking gear if there will always be this obtrusive grenade kit or med kit. It just doesn’t add up.

There also have been suggestions that you could add custom kit skins to the store which you could apply to a new gear slot for example.

So for the love of this game, please give us the option to hide it.

Here is another thread talking about the idea:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/engineer/Hobo-Sacks-A-Terrible-Fashion-Statement/page/2

(edited by Aleksander.2965)

in Suggestions

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

If the kit guns and attacks were in any way ambiguous, I would agree with this. But the grenade kit looks NOTHING like the alchemy gun which looks NOTHING like toolkit wrench. And this says nothing of the attacks themselves. If you can’t distinguish between a flamethrower and a bomb kit when the engineer uses an attack, I can promise you that a backpack isn’t going to help you do that.

So yea, it is a cosmetic back piece and should be treated as such.

Exactly this PVP only argument is null as even the fiery guns and the special rifle skins look nothing like the cosmetics in the game even for the LS events.
There’s enough there to let people know “condition, check, burst, check, regular weapons check” so there’s no need to have backpacks for kits.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kande.1930

Kande.1930

Yes please. I would like to be able to see my totally awesome jetpack, but instead i’m stuck with this hobosack.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I tried the karka back piece on my engineer. It would disappear and appear depending if an engineer kit was on or off or if I did a skill with a kit on.

Kit off- karka piece on
Kit on- karka piece off
Kit on, do skill- karka piece reappears, sticking out through the kit

The appearing, disappearing vanity back pieces are annoying.

Also, the kits don’t match the way my engineer looks. I can see how it might be wanted by enemy PvPers, but let us turn off kit appearance in PvE.

in Suggestions

Posted by: PWNcakesAndROFLs.8263

PWNcakesAndROFLs.8263

Not only are they ugly, but buggy. Ugh, I agree with this thread, having an option to turn them off would be fantastic.

Please +1 the OP to get this thread more attention.

in Suggestions

Aleksander.2965

One more bump for attention!
+1

in Suggestions

Tolmos.8395

Not only are they ugly, but buggy. Ugh, I agree with this thread, having an option to turn them off would be fantastic.

Please +1 the OP to get this thread more attention.

Agreed. The grenade kit on female humans will eat their head. Literally consume the entire back of their skull when they move

in Suggestions

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

+1 bump for great justice

I hate my kit hobosacks clipping with my hard-earned back pieces. I want to see my back items, not my gaudy sack of grenades.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Suggestions

Posted by: wars.2083

wars.2083

remove the ugly backpack indeed

i have many ideas but mostly never speak of em

in Suggestions

Aleksander.2965

Agreed. The grenade kit on female humans will eat their head. Literally consume the entire back of their skull when they move

This is so true, so much clipping with the hairs (even the short hair) and so on. I couldn’t agree more. It is just that the whole system of the kits’ backpack skins is so entirely in contrary to the games ‘style’ and ‘endgame’ philosophy. What’s the point in making the skins etc. one of the main futures of the game if you force one class to abide to a certain ‘skin’ (the kits).

Also I’d like to emphasize that this is not about removing them, but more so about adding an option to enable the players who don’t like the style of the kits to hide them (like with the gloves, helmets and so on)!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zjadacz Dzieci.9184

Zjadacz Dzieci.9184

Also waiting for “hide” option, till now i played with pistols, no kits or smf so i was happy when i got my jetpack, now i would like to try with some kit build but it totally covers jetpack… Please ANET! Let us hide our backpacks!