Enough with the jumping...

in Suggestions

Posted by: Victory.2879

Victory.2879

Seems every bit of new content involves jump puzzles, including Wintersday, fractals, etc.

Any more and they can rename the game ‘Jump puzzle wars’.

Personally I find them tedious, boring and frankly infantile- if I wanted to play a jumping game there seems to be enough of them out there already.

Next addition of content, please make it so i don’t have to do a jump puzzle, thanks!

Victory, Beings Lost On Borderlands (BLOB), SFR & Gandara (inactive)

in Suggestions

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

hmm ther eis really only ONE fractal where you HAVE to jump really (and those jumps are so easy), any other jumping puzzle thing in the game is 100% optional

in Suggestions

Posted by: curtegg.5216

curtegg.5216

The timed jumping puzzles should have a difficulty scale level like the Bell playing one. For us old farts who can do static jumping puzzles it would be nice to have an easy mode where the pads would disappear at a slower rate.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Field Marshal.7946

Field Marshal.7946

I hate the jumping puzzles. With my main char being a Charr, I believe it is a royal pain in the butt.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

I like the jumping puzzles, but I hate the timed ones. With this and the guitar-hero bellringing, it seems Arenanet want us to Have a Very Twitchy Christmas.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Eltrow.6382

Eltrow.6382

Jumping puzzle makes the game at the moment!

in Suggestions

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

How about just don’t do them?

They’re entirely optional at the end of the day. Not to mention the Fractal one is more of a jump from platform to patform. Not really that hard.

Personally, I enjoy them, and would be gutted if they took them out simply because some people didn’t like them.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Suggestions

Posted by: robinsiebler.3801

robinsiebler.3801

I suck at Jumping Puzzles. With that said, I like them and I can choose whether or not I try one. Isn’t freedom a wonderful thing?

This message was brought to you by a Kitten with a Keyboard

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nkuvu.2570

Nkuvu.2570

The timed jumping puzzles should have a difficulty scale level like the Bell playing one. For us old farts who can do static jumping puzzles it would be nice to have an easy mode where the pads would disappear at a slower rate.

My exact suggestion.

Varied difficulty for the jumping puzzles is a better solution by far than the attempt at a “one size fits all” puzzle.

I’m horrible at jumping puzzles, and it’s looking highly unlikely that I’ll be able to complete the Wintersday puzzle. It’s not a huge loss, but I would like to be able to do it. I’m just not fast enough. On the flip side, I’ve heard plenty of people say it’s too easy.

So make it easier for some, harder for others. Yay, everyone wins.

For this puzzle, the easy version could simply have the same routes but with relaxed timing. Slower health degeneration, slower disappearance of the snowflakes. Hard version could obviously go faster for both.

I would also be perfectly happy to see scaling rewards based on difficulty.

in Suggestions

Posted by: neon.4863

neon.4863

I do believe the timed JPs should scale for the people who can do static ones, but can’t do timed ones because they’re not fast enough for some reason or other.

I vote no for removing jumping entirely, though. It is a part of the mechanics of the game – many vistas, for instance, involve tricky jumps. But you can usually bypass these by having a mesmer open a portal, so really, the only issue for me are the timed JPs.

in Suggestions

Posted by: cpg.7140

cpg.7140

I think they already have the framework in to do a scaled (sort of) jumping puzzle experience. This current puzzle has 3 paths that you’re randomly assigned to. They just happen to be all (basically) the same difficulty. In a future design, without changing the scale very much, they could probably make 3 paths that were all different difficulties, and treat them as 3 separate puzzles that you got to choose from (for achievement purposes, if that matters) that just sort of converge and are built on the same framework/map/scenery. If you’re really good, do all 3. If not, do the easiest one and maybe try the next level up. Either way you’ll get to experience the puzzle environment, you just might not finish every branch completely.

I think they’d probably want to keep some aspects of each one unique, so that if you really did put in the time to get good at the hardest level you’d get some sort of unique experience (besides just a potentially better reward, if that’s what they did) but you could do that and still give multiple levels of difficulty with similar overall experiences (scenery wise and such).

Hobwash
[TAS] – The Asuran Squad
Devona’s Rest

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nkuvu.2570

Nkuvu.2570

Just one other thing to add that I forgot yesterday.

For normal in the world jumping puzzles, I feel that they’re fine as is. Going through and redesigning them to have scaling difficulties would be prohibitively expensive in terms of labor versus reward.

My suggestion for scaled puzzles would only realistically apply to new puzzles and/or holiday jumping puzzles.

In addition to the scaled rewards, I’d also be perfectly content with differing achievements. Maybe tiers to the jumping puzzle achievement. I’d just like some feeling of satisfaction — even if I can’t complete the harder parts, I can at least get the easy stuff (unlike now, where if I fall on the jumping puzzle I get absolutely nothing for my time and frustration).

in Suggestions

Posted by: Graevarg.4871

Graevarg.4871

It is pretty simple. If Anet puts things like JPs as mandatory to the game, they will reduce their customer base to just the folks that like JPs. Seems to me like “player choice” is always the right answers. Jumpers can jump and walkers can walk. Thats just smart business.

in Suggestions

Posted by: gummz.4928

gummz.4928

You don’t have to do a jumping puzzle. You can earn the Wintersday title without completing the jumping puzzle achievement. You only need 12 out of 16 achievements to get the title.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

I love jumping puzzles, myself, but I would stop implementing more timed ones. The frantic pace makes it extremely hard to learn the course and improve my technique. I never have time to look around and see where I’m going, or figure out what went wrong last time. They’re called jumping PUZZLES, not jumping RACES.

in Suggestions

Posted by: kenshinakh.3672

kenshinakh.3672

I think the jumps are a pretty unique and interesting challenge (an I play norn :P lol).

in Suggestions

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I love the jumping puzzles for the special events, even though I have no hope of being able to finish them. I hope to see more of them and I hope that some day, I’ll be able to manage them. They are entirely optional: I can get the event uber-title without jumping and, if I really need help in PvE, there are plenty of mesmer jumpers around willing to portal me to anywhere I need to go.

I don’t love the jumping in Fractals, but it doesn’t bother me…as long as the other people in the group aren’t bothered by the fact I’m slower than they are.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: DreamOfACure.4382

DreamOfACure.4382

Jumping puzzles are awesome and they always will be because they’re optional.

“Bleeding, Poison, Confusion, Torment, they all look delightful on you.”

Lv80s: Guard, Thief, Necro. Renewed my Altaholic’s card on the HoT Hype-Train. Choo choo~

in Suggestions

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

I actually like the bit of jumping in dungeons. Makes them less hack n slash. The ones in fractals aren’t difficult at all.

I strongly recommend to check dulfy.com. There’s a list with jumping puzzles from easy to hardest. I did the first 10 or so according to that list and it greatly improved my jumping skill.

You’re partly right on this game being a bit jump wars. I don’t see that as a problem, just like it wasn’t a problem for Aion to have/need wings. Every game needs a differentiating mechanic.
The funny thing being, jumping was impossible in GW1. People cried about it for ages so for GW2 they basically said: you want jumping? Be careful what you wish for, you may just get it.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

in Suggestions

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

I would prefer they just dont get any rewards except a title for doing them. That way you are not forced to them at all.

in Suggestions

Posted by: CapN Biku.6024

CapN Biku.6024

ArenaNet said during the recent stream that they had the idea to put in several Jumping Puzzles and that the farther you came the more difficult it would become, but then they changed that because they didn’t want people to get sad because they couldn’t finish the hardest one, or just finish the first.

And you really don’t have to do any of the activities, sure you have to do some if you want the title, but you still don’t have to do all of them. Find those you don’t hate, play those and then you will get your title sooner or later. And if it’s about the gifts, you get those from all the activities. Sure you get some more stuff from the Jumping Puzzle, but the people who work hard enough to finish the puzzle whould get something for their trouble.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

I don’t care about these holiday jumping puzzles. They are just a gimmick that won’t last forever. What really grinds my gears is Gift of Battle – or should I say – Gift of Jumping!

RAAAAGGLEFRAGGLE!!!111

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

in Suggestions

CapN Biku.6024

How is Gift of Battle “Gift of Jumping”? Don’t you just have to play normal WvW to get that one

Edit: Looked it up and you can indeed get them from the Jumping Puzzles, but that really does not mean you HAVE to do Jumping Puzzles to get enough Badges to get the gift.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wanko.8103

Wanko.8103

Jumping is the best part of the game.

in Suggestions

Oglaf.1074

How is Gift of Battle “Gift of Jumping”? Don’t you just have to play normal WvW to get that one

Edit: Looked it up and you can indeed get them from the Jumping Puzzles, but that really does not mean you HAVE to do Jumping Puzzles to get enough Badges to get the gift.

Normal WvW sucks for Badges. Running the JP everyday with as many low-level alts as possible is standard when farming for your Legendary. Most, if not all, guides on the subject of Legendaries recommend it.

1. You don’t get any for capturing objectives. This is standard for most MMORPGs with the same system, like WAR: Warhammer Online. Age of Reckoning.

2. Badge drops from players are rare. Very rare. Most of the time it is white trash, rarely a green/blue item.

3. Badge drops from players are easy to miss since the bags are so tiny and the action moves across the map.

Don’t want to derail the thread further, but it truly is Gift of Jumping, not Gift of Battle.

Do you even lift, bro?

in Suggestions

CapN Biku.6024

You get 10 from map completion of all four maps, which can be done on different characters, but yes it can take longer. You can get them from the chests after killing the Overgrown Grub and other similar enemies. You can even get them for Twilight Arbor(if you believe the wiki, that is), yes it’s a rare drop, but still. Jumping isn’t the only way to get those badges.

in Suggestions

Oglaf.1074

It is like saying “Mining isn’t the only way to get Ore” because you can Salvage for it. While technically true, it doesn’t change the fact that all other ways of getting Badges is inferior to the Jumping Puzzle.

Do you even lift, bro?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Saxon.1908

Saxon.1908

Hey I don’t PVP, lets take that out. Frank doesn’t WVW, so thats gone to. Amanda hates exploreing- Gone. Now that I think about it I don’t like Water, Toss it. Who hates running into Tree’s? A bet someone does! Let’s thake those out, mountains too.

Dyes, gone. Trade Chat, hate that. Mini’s and Pets? BOARING. Who like’s Charr? I don’t, GONE. Actually I hate all races but human. And since Jimmy hates humans they’re gone too.

Seriously dude if they removed every feature because one player wasn’t interested in doing them there would literally be nothing left. Infact if they removed every feature that 10% of the players didn’t use I doub’t there would be anything either.

If you don’t like it. DON’T do it. No one is forcing you. You don’t even need the JP to get the tittle!

in Suggestions

CapN Biku.6024

Seriously dude if they removed every feature because one player wasn’t interested in doing them there would literally be nothing left. Infact if they removed every feature that 10% of the players didn’t use I doub’t there would be anything either.

Everything would be gone except previewing other armour types, but then most of those, if not all, armours would be gone.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shayleen.8964

Shayleen.8964

I personally appreciate the options Anet gave us during the last wintersday event chain. If you didn’t want to do pve you had a pvp event to go to. I think that the jumping puzzles have become sort of a characteristic of event chains. I think it’s neat to just check them out.

I do not mind jumping puzzles, but I do not like when they are timed.

During timed jumping puzzles large Norns become surprisingly aggravating.