Equalize refinement times

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nkuvu.2570

Nkuvu.2570

Short version: All material refinements should take the same amount of time.

Longer version: Take a stack of iron ore, and refine it into ingots. Then take a stack of mithril ore and refine that into ingots. The iron refinement is much faster. And both are faster than refining cloth into bolts or wood into planks.

All of it (in my opinion) should be as fast as iron. There’s already a huge improvement from other games when it comes to crafting a lot of materials, but this difference in time is the fly in the soup. And honestly I can’t think of any reason at all to have different refinement times.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Runiir.6425

Runiir.6425

All things refine at the same time. The reason Iron seems to refine faster is that iron takes 3 ore, mithril takes 2…thus you are making MORE refined items.
It struck me as odd that iron and steel took so much when ori and mithril takes only 2.

They refine at the same time, you just burnt hrough iron ore faster due to more ore being used per bar.

in Suggestions

Posted by: gimmethegepgun.1284

gimmethegepgun.1284

All things refine at the same time. The reason Iron seems to refine faster is that iron takes 3 ore, mithril takes 2…thus you are making MORE refined items.
It struck me as odd that iron and steel took so much when ori and mithril takes only 2.

They refine at the same time, you just burnt hrough iron ore faster due to more ore being used per bar.

… what?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Runiir.6425

Runiir.6425

… what?

Alright, lets put this into direct numbers. The OP says that Iron refines faster.

Iron ore 3 = 1 Iron ingot.
Mithril ore 2 = 1 Mithril ingot.

Thus it takes longer to refine a stack of mithril ore than iron ore when you have a hundred+ ore of each.

The OP is being hit with an optical illusion of time when they aren’t realizing what is happening…the iron ore is being used up faster hence it takes less time to refine.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nittles.1582

Nittles.1582

… what?

It’s pretty simple math. 250 mithril ore will make 125 mithril ingots. 250 iron ore will make 83 iron ingots. 83 ingots takes less time to make than 125 ingots, even if they have the same refine time.

(edited by Nittles.1582)

in Suggestions

Posted by: gimmethegepgun.1284

gimmethegepgun.1284

Umm…
Go refine a mithril ingot and compare it to how long it takes to make an iron ingot.
It takes about twice as long to make a mithril ingot.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nkuvu.2570

Nkuvu.2570

Umm…
Go refine a mithril ingot and compare it to how long it takes to make an iron ingot.
It takes about twice as long to make a mithril ingot.

That’s what I’m talking about, yes. But for clarity’s sake, I got out my stop watch and timed the creation of several different materials. And not just one, but a whole bunch.

These are the times it takes to make 100 ingots/planks/bolts — so even though the quantity of raw material is different, these should all be the same:
Iron ingots: 18s
Mithril ingots: 37s
Silver ingots: 37s
Darksteel ingots: 18s
Bolts of Jute: 37s
Soft wood planks: 37s

To be honest, I expected more variance out of this. Cloth somehow subjectively feels slower to me than mithril, but the time is actually the same.

Still, I’d like to see everything go as quickly as iron/darksteel.

(edit: and p.s., apologies for the initial confusion, some of this could have been more clear from the start)