Expire Buy/Sell orders.

Expire Buy/Sell orders.

in Suggestions

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

I do not think that the system currently expires buy/sell orders. It may after like a month or so. I seam to remember it doing so in one of the betas. I honestly think that it should expire. It would be a great gold/item sink.

It is really easy to put things up on the trading post. You can do it from everywhere. Due to this is the case. There are some items that may be too common at one time (that may not be so in the future crafted items are one example.) that people will actually buy causing the item to flood the market. Problem is that the Trading post gets flooded with them and the player-base continues to undercut each-other. Causing it so that if a item gets flooded (due to a miscalculation or a bug) that would otherwise sell would sell for lower even longer then it normally wood.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Expire Buy/Sell orders.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

The price crashing because the market is flooded with that item just means the economy is behaving rationally: Massive supply compared to demand means low prices.
So I wouldn’t implement a time limit for that reason. However a time limit is still a good idea for performance reasons. The more orders exist, the more that need to be searched through. There will always be people who keep placing orders that will never be filled, so the trading post will clog up with those orders over time. Unless something is put in place to remove old orders, like an expiry timer.

I’m actually a bit mystified about why ANET didn’t copy that part of the Eve Online market.

Expire Buy/Sell orders.

in Suggestions

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

The price crashing because the market is flooded with that item just means the economy is behaving rationally: Massive supply compared to demand means low prices.
So I wouldn’t implement a time limit for that reason. However a time limit is still a good idea for performance reasons. The more orders exist, the more that need to be searched through. There will always be people who keep placing orders that will never be filled, so the trading post will clog up with those orders over time. Unless something is put in place to remove old orders, like an expiry timer.

I’m actually a bit mystified about why ANET didn’t copy that part of the Eve Online market.

I remember it actually in the beta. I have not given it time to go though completely there may be one in there but it may be a week, two weeks, or a month.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Expire Buy/Sell orders.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Weirwynn.2390

Weirwynn.2390

Technically, the number of orders has zero bearing on search performance. There is a finite number of items that can exist in GW2, and all of the tradable ones show up in searches regardless of whether there are any buy/sell orders for them (otherwise people wouldn’t be able to put in any buy orders for them). Ideally, it shouldn’t impact buy/sell performance significantly either, but I can’t say how their database is set up.

Expire Buy/Sell orders.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

I second this suggestion.

MAYBE having an unsold item returned to your pickup queue will make players aware that there is insufficient demand for it, and will move them to either vendor or salvage the item. Because putting it up on the Trade Post again brings extra cost: the listing fee is not reimbursed and must be paid every time you put an item up for sale.

CERTAINLY, removing items that have not been sold for longer than three-four days will remove pressure from the Trade Post database, which already stores billions of items at this point. I don’t know how many of those are items that are completely unsellable at the price that is being asked for them, but removing those could potentially speed up the Trade Post, and reduce the server space and processor capacity required to keep the Trade Post running.

Finally, I am suspecting that a good number of the items for sale on the Trade Post are dumped there by their owners, and that these owners have offered so many items there that they don’t know or don’t care whether some of them will never sell.
(While they complain that they don’t have enough gold.)